Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CW: "Collector finds rare 1792 half disme in junk box" Grades PCGS FR02 w/ CAC..SOLD $93k!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 8:25AM

@MFeld said:

I realize that you and many or most others who post here, already know this. But “ask” is typically used to indicate an asking price of something that’s for sale, which will be sold if that price is met. That’s very different from the next bidding increment required in order to bid on an item in an auction, as is the case here.

I do, and thank you for the clarification.

I will try to do that next time.

I guess it's my stock market mentality at play.

edited to add: I just corrected the thread title. :)

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 7:30PM

I would also like to add that now that it has been recently proven by numerous notable numismatic writers that the 1792 1/2 disme isn't a pattern but the first u.s. mint made coin intended for circulation that could also have influenced the price of this junk box discovery. The 1/2 disme has recently commanded more respect in the numismatic world and will the rise in prices it has become the so-called perfect storm during this auction ie timed perfectly.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

The auction is tomorrow and the bid is now $49,500 all in. It makes the PCGS F-15 that sold in a Heritage auction ( I did not like that coin ) in April for $84,000 seem cheap.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    A number of decades ago I was looking for a 1792 Half Disme. I attended most of the big shows for 6 years and did not see one that I would have. I then found one in a higher grade than I was looking for and at a higher price. I decided that 6 years was long enough and stepped up to the plate. I am glad that I did. I still have the coin.

Do you have an image to post? I'd love to see your coin

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

@golden said:
    A number of decades ago I was looking for a 1792 Half Disme. I attended most of the big shows for 6 years and did not see one that I would have. I then found one in a higher grade than I was looking for and at a higher price. I decided that 6 years was long enough and stepped up to the plate. I am glad that I did. I still have the coin.

Do you have an image to post? I'd love to see your coin

I do not. I do not have images of about 8-10 of my coins. I have had them professionally imaged ,a few coins at a time, at larger shows over several years. If Covid had not happened I would have pictures of all of them by now.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 11:55AM
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 12:42PM

@MFeld said:

I realize that you and many or most others who post here, already know this. But “ask” is typically used to indicate an asking price of something that’s for sale, which will be sold if that price is met. That’s very different from the next bidding increment required in order to bid on an item in an auction, as is the case here.

Agree 100%, but a lot of auctioneers keep asking for me for the next bid increment! :D

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I do not. I do not have images of about 8-10 of my coins. I have had them professionally imaged ,a few coins at a > time, at larger shows over several years. If Covid had not happened I would have pictures of all of them by now.

i presume you got the images at shows to prevent risk among other reasons which is fine. if you know whom mark goodman is, you may want to connect with him and try to meet up somehow if you desire images of your coins. the quality will be bar-none. realone used to post his wonderful purchases (amongst a few other members) imaged by mark and they were highlights of the day when they were.

if that doesn't come together, message messydesk here on the forum.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 4:25PM

38 minutes to go and next bid is $50k.

Wonder how much that CAC sticker is worth on this coin?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

Not sure it is all the sticker here; it could be the ultimate coin for a "low ball" registry set or whatever they call it.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 4:55PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Goldbully said:

Not sure it is all the sticker here; it could be the ultimate coin for a "low ball" registry set or whatever they call it.

I don't think low ball counts for the year 1792, I have seen lower examples, in fact even twisted/holed/&mangled, I think the answer is try to find a nonholded example with most of the obv detail for under $100k.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 5:11PM

Winning bid: $93k ($104,625 with buyer's premium) :o

• Options

SOLD: Are you kidding me?????????????

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa! $104,625!

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 5:06PM

For posterity, PCGS Price Guide Values
    FR 2 - Not listed (the grade of the current exemplar)
    G 4 - $32,500
    F 12 - $70,000
    VF 30 - $100,000
    XF 40 - $125,000
    AU 55 - $170,000
    MS 60 - $200,000

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! Wonder what the second person paid for it?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

market grading at work! ;)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greg is a really nice guy- Im happy for him :)

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a find!

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the seller! Bidding war between Dogecoin millionaires??? Crazy.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 6:00PM

fwiw

there is a lot of precedence in unknown items/examples of things making headlines and then those items break selling records, significantly so. this is a prime example!

any die marriage rarity come into play here?

oh btw:

PLATINUM EDITION!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

That is unreal! There is a nice PCGS XF-45 coin available for $145,000.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 6:07PM

Wow, 93 k , and to think some one found it in a junk box and paid almost nothing. I guess the person who found the coin can retire early.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't want to be the Junk Box Dealer who sold the coin. :'(

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:39AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    Wow, 93 k , and to think some one found it in a junk box and paid almost nothing. I guess the person who found the coin can retire early.

Takes a hell of a lot more than $93k to retire early.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@markelman1125 said:

Yes, but what a great start!

• Options

It will be interesting to see how the PCGS price guide will treat this outlier.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I sat in the Floyd Starr Sale in 1992 and vividly remember the Gem 1792 Half Disme sell for $88,000 all in. It was raw at the time and I believe it's in a PCGS Specimen 67 holder today. The odd thing was that the dealer who purchased it couldn't sell it at that time. How times have changed....

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@markelman1125 said:

Depends on how far in life you are. If you’re 10 years from retirement than 90k should help make it easier and quicker

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    If you’re 10 years from retirement than 90k should help make it easier and quicker

And if you're just out of school, $93k to invest is a good starting point.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@markelman1125 said:

Depends on how far in life you are. If you’re 10 years from retirement than 90k should help make it easier and quicker

You have to remember taxes get paid outta that... so assume 35% or so gone, that leaves about $60k. That cuts maybe a year or a year and a half off if you're 10 years out. If you're 25 or something and you get that windfall, it cuts a LOT more time off. Maybe 5-7 years, I'm too tired to crunch numbers right now.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

WOW! What a lucky find!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. That is a crazy price. Congrats to the seller!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Barndog said:
    Insane price!

do you think there are buyers out there with a lot of spare cash but little idea of where to source comp coins from?

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 8:02PM

Next up or part, the payment...don't have a deal without the cash, right?

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down the road this one might compete with the 67+FBL Frankie toner.

• Options

@SeattleSlammer said:

Nah, me thinks the 1792 wins that challenge

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Barndog said:
    Insane price!

do you think there are buyers out there with a lot of spare cash but little idea of where to source comp coins from?

that's a good way to look at it. Similar happenings in the housing market these days. People paying tens of thousands of dollars over asking prices in smaller markets and hundreds of thousands of dollars over asking prices in larger markets. Appraisals be damned!

• Options

@trueblood said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

Hands down agree with @trueblood .

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 9:16PM

@Goldbully said:

@trueblood said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

Hands down agree with @trueblood .

Okay now I’m not sure what we’re talking about. 😆

I meant that when it comes time to sell, this one might suffer just as much.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt about its historical significance.

But....wow.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 9:33PM

Deleted

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 10:08PM

Would you rather have the FR02 or the F15? These sold within 2 months of each other.

1792 Half Disme - PCGS FR02 - Sold for $104,625 on June 13, 2021

1792 Half Disme - PCGS F15 - Sold for $84,000 on April 21, 2021

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh, wow. Irrational bidding is my view. Congrats to the consignor.

• Options

One thing is for sure, GC is in the big leagues!

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Not coin related, and not in the same class, but I was at an estate sale once, and about the only thing interesting left after the locusts descended, were books. So I found some books that I thought were interesting (most everything was a buck or less). On the shelf was a hardback 1960's copy of the Warren Report. Not really my area of interest, but I figured I'd thumb through it. On the page that reproduces the letter from the Commission to the President, each of the commissioners had signed the page next to their name and printed signature. That's Chief Justice Warren, future President Ford, et al. I pulled the book and gave it to the dealers with some other books to take out to the cash register. It didn't have a price sticker on it (like most of the books in the house). They boxed it with a dozen or so other books I'd pulled and sold me the box for ten bucks. So I ended up paying fifty cents or so for it.

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refreshing, it’s a dealer kicking himself in the ass for a change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file