Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CW: "Collector finds rare 1792 half disme in junk box" Grades PCGS FR02 w/ CAC..SOLD $93k!!!!!!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@trueblood said:
    Rexford,
    You are a dealer, therefore it behooves you to want prices to be rising, I get that,I appreciate that and I am seeing it but this auction in particular is not something that can be relied upon as setting value for Fair half dismes and should be ignored by any and all price guides because it makes zero sense. I still wonder if it gets paid.

I would just like to take this opportunity to say that I am not currently working as a dealer. That being said, I often heard similar sentiments about my motives from forums members here while I was dealing, and I never appreciated it. I do my best to remain unbiased in my posts, and I study certain areas of the market and of numismatics in general because I enjoy doing so and am interested in those topics. It was also part of my job as a dealer to understand the markets, not to think wishfully about them. And yes, I agree that this auction has no or next to no effect on the value of half dismes as a whole, that was my initial point.

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Then we are in agreement

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased the F15 copy. I needed it to complete my Everyman Type set. I had been out bid 3 times for circulated copies of 1792 HD. I felt at the time I was overpaying by about 10K but did it anyway. I would rather have a MS63 for 250K for my collection of 100 greatest coins. I don't think a MS63 coin in a PCGS holder could be had for 250k.

• Options

@gschwernk said:
    I purchased the F15 copy. I needed it to complete my Everyman Type set. I had been out bid 3 times for circulated copies of 1792 HD. I felt at the time I was overpaying by about 10K but did it anyway. I would rather have a MS63 for 250K for my collection of 100 greatest coins. I don't think a MS63 coin in a PCGS holder could be had for 250k.

Sorry but I am confused, what do you mean exactly when you say " you bought the F15 copy"? I cannot decipher the word "copy" , did you by an actual copy or a genuine piece?

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the F15 1792 coin pictured in this thread for $84,000 in a recent Heritage Auction.

• Options

@gschwernk said:

Did you mean to say, I didn't think rather than "I don't think"? Again a bit confused by what you wrote?
    Thanks

• Options

GSchwernk,
    BTW did you know the following are available:
    From RCTV a PCGS VF asking price $120,000
    From Collectors Corner PCGS XF45 asking price $145,000 & 2 NGC repaired damaged/examples but I realize you are looking for PCGS holders
    How long have you been trying to acquire an example?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@trueblood said:

@Rexford said:
    The FR02 example sold for as much as it did due to the backstory and publicity, not due to the grade. The market finds things like that hot right now. Comparing its result to that of another example does not make much sense, and valuing another example based upon its result certainly does not.

The back story was a nothing burger, I cannot believe that the story motivated anyone. The publicity was minimal imo. Similar to a guy finding a bag of cash in an old goodwill couch. What happened here imo is a newly crowned millionaire found something that intrigued him and didn't buy the book because he was over laden with cash which allows for mistakes.

Did you mean two newly crowned millionaires?

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@trueblood said:

@Rexford said:
    The FR02 example sold for as much as it did due to the backstory and publicity, not due to the grade. The market finds things like that hot right now. Comparing its result to that of another example does not make much sense, and valuing another example based upon its result certainly does not.

The back story was a nothing burger, I cannot believe that the story motivated anyone. The publicity was minimal imo. Similar to a guy finding a bag of cash in an old goodwill couch. What happened here imo is a newly crowned millionaire found something that intrigued him and didn't buy the book because he was over laden with cash which allows for mistakes.

Did you mean two newly crowned millionaires?

Hey, could possibly be, there have ben a lot of newly created millionaires from:
    Real estate appreciation
    Bitcoin etc
    Stock market elevation
    gold rising
    The list goes on, in fact certain segments of the business world took advantage or accelerated due to Covid

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2021 6:33PM

@golden said:
    The real winner in the auction of the FR-2 at $104,625 is the under bidder because he did not get the coin.

But it stickered. o:)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@trueblood said:

@gschwernk said:

Did you mean to say, I didn't think rather than "I don't think"? Again a bit confused by what you wrote?
    Thanks

Why are you confused by what he wrote? Considering that an NGC 63 just brought $252,000, it makes sense that he’d say “I don’t think a MS63 in a PCGS holder could be had for 250k”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@gschwernk said:

Thanks

Why are you confused by what he wrote? Considering that an NGC 63 just brought $252,000, it makes sense that he’d say “I don’t think a MS63 in a PCGS holder could be had for 250k”.

PCGS Price guide for a general ms63 was $280k , so it went for a bit less due to negative eye appeal. Why would someone assume it wouldn't go for around $250k? Remembering he is the one who was bidding his up.
    If he stayed out of the auction that he bid on he would have had a shot at the ms63 at a more than reasonable price imo

• Options

@trueblood said:

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@gschwernk said:

Thanks

PCGS Price guide for a general ms63 was $280k , so it went for a bit less due to negative eye appeal. Why would someone assume it wouldn't go for around $250k? Remembering he is the one who was bidding his up.
    If he stayed out of the auction that he bid on he would have had a shot at the ms63 at a more than reasonable price imo

The one that just sold for $252,000 was an NGC example. He was talking about one graded by PCGS. All other things being equal, I think it would be reasonable to expect the latter to exceed the price of the former.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@gschwernk said:

Thanks

The one that just sold for $252,000 was an NGC example. He was talking about one graded by PCGS. All other things being equal, I think it would be reasonable to expect the latter to exceed the price of the former.

Hmmm. I cannot justify the price of the Great Collections piece no matter how much of a buy market we may or may not be in. I often stretch for great pieces but I cannot rap my head around this one and believe that there is going to be pain felt in the future on this auction sale, wish it weren't so, but.....

• Options

@trueblood said:

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@gschwernk said:

Thanks

Hmmm. I cannot justify the price of the Great Collections piece no matter how much of a buy market we may or may not be in. I often stretch for great pieces but I cannot rap my head around this one and believe that there is going to be pain felt in the future on this auction sale, wish it weren't so, but.....

I wasn’t suggesting that you do so. I was merely addressing your confusion regarding the comment about an MS63 example.😉

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2021 8:45PM

@trueblood said:

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@MFeld said:

@trueblood said:

@gschwernk said:

Thanks

What he is saying is PCGS early federal coins enjoy healthy premiums over their NGC counterparts which is undeniable. If a NGC example fetched $250k, a PCGS example would certainly fetch more at auction. On another note, the coin looks maxed out in a 63 holder and a bit over graded to be honest. I don't think a solid 63 in NGC plastic could be had for $250k either.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2021 9:56PM

@1northcoin said:
    This may have been the dirt find half disme I recalled. Went for $11,500.00 in a 2014 Stack's Auction. "Coin World" article references obverse as Good 3 and reverse as Fair 2.

https://coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/metal-detecting-1792-silver-half-dime-thrill-of-a-lifetime.html

When it comes to "the story" that goes with a 1792 half disme, it is hard to beat the one in the above linked Coin World article. In retrospect, I wish I had known about the auction at the time as I ended up paying more for another that was not represented to be of any better quality.

• Options
    edited June 21, 2021 11:46AM

If the story is what truly is what accounted for the influencing of an increase in value as most seem to believe then imagine what a great pedigree/provenance would accomplish and by a much greater margin, I would venture a story is typically only a subset of a great pedigree/provenance

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to say this but the whoever paid over $100,000 for this coin .... Overpaid

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

was thinking about this little gal today, so bump.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Thanks for the bump, this was an entertaining read.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Thanks for the bump, this was an entertaining read.

somehow during the bump to this thread, i saw somewhere (may have been in this thread) another half disme that had JUST enough detail to identify. like all the bust was gone, i think virtually the whole reverse but just enough of the Ha and Dis or something like that to see what it was. so i bet there are probably quite a few rarities out there floating around in pr/fr condition OR WORSE. lol

it really does take a lot of research and patience to determine what something is/might be sometimes. i used to have a little tub of stuff and 1 or 2 items i had quite resembled something like ireland st patrick farthings or whatever they're called but i was never able to fully match em up. same goes with euro/usa hibernias, rex i, ii, ii etc. several colonials have some serious overlap to foreign coppers, especially in severely worn/damaged condition. i really thought i'd find at least 1 amazing pull but it never happened, to my dismay.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at one of the Baltimore shows and came across this... at the time (and without having the coin in hand) I thought this might have been a half disme but now that I'm comparing... probably not. That doesn't take away from the other rarities in the case.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2022 11:34AM

@lkenefic said:
    I was at one of the Baltimore shows and came across this... at the time (and without having the coin in hand) I thought this might have been a half disme but now that I'm comparing... probably not. That doesn't take away from the other rarities in the case.

well this one is giving me a run for my money. TRY LIB sure looks to line up with the H10c and some of the curls and bust outline (kinda) but the hair coming out behind the ear doesn't match up. (not that it can't be re-engraved)

i really thought it may be some type of birch but those face right. i checked eureka's pattern site but nothing lines up.

can't be a DISME because that is a flowing hair.

UPDATED: that coin is 100% a half disme. i finally saw how those strands match up. all the visible letters, date, profile, hair etc line up. yay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file