Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No "instant rarities" being issued by the U.S. Mint this year?

I don't see anything on the horizon for this year when it comes to extremely limited quantities of any coin minted this year. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they have decided that they have ticked enough people off.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some items might become sleepers after the mint stops selling them because the high prices are turning some collectors off.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 7:27PM

Don’t speak too soon we don’t know the mintages for the reverse proof eagle set yet.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't do business with them.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 7:25PM

I predict the two-coin reverse proof set will be this year’s “instant rarity.”

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about proof Morgan dollars?
    You know for the registry 🤭

Martin

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold proof morgan and peace in mintages of 1921? 🤔😂

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

Don't give them any ideas. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do we define "instant rarity"? Any coin that sells out in less than one minute?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

Don't give them any ideas. :#

Given the price of gold, that one could be a hard sell. If it’s the size of a silver dollar, it would probably weigh over an ounce, and given the mint’s current propensity to raise prices dramatically, it would probably have an issue price of over $3,000.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My definition of 'Instant rarity', is one I wanted but missed due to the crush at issue time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

All I've seen so far this year are mintages of 175,000 to unlimited quantities. I think of "instant rarities" as those mintages that are popular issues, unique issues, that are very limited production runs. Yes, quick sellouts too.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barbara Bush gold first spouse is still available with a limit of 2,000... don’t everybody rush at once. 😜

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

An instant rarity is when the mint website becomes unavailable 10 seconds past noon of the issue date.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2021 9:27AM

@PerryHall said:
    How do we define "instant rarity"? Any coin that sells out in less than one minute?

That sounds good but then the V75 gold wouldn't qualify. It sold out between one and two minutes.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    I don't see anything on the horizon for this year when it comes to extremely limited quantities of any coin minted this year. Am I missing something?

Just reported by another poster here.
    Mint link.

Good luck to all. :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to write in

20,000 mintage 1 HHL

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I wonder how many people have paid $105 for the 2021 Proof Set. Given that you are getting three few silver coins, and the price is close to double, the sales might be down.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    No "instant rarities" being issued by the U.S. Mint this year?

That's the wonderful thing about errors and unplanned varieties :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Time to write in

20,000 mintage 1 HHL

there were 12,466 2020 1/10th ounce sold per last sales report
    there were 11021 2020 4-coin sets sold per last sales report

so....

20,000?

25,000?

30,000?

This year coins are hot and even the silver proof eagle is unavailable at 300,000 singles sold

perhaps it should be 25,000 1 HHL

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

That enhanced two piece eagle set end of the year,might be, depends on the mintage

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I wonder how many people have paid $105 for the 2021 Proof Set. Given that you are getting three few silver coins, and the price is close to double, the sales might be down.

As of 5/9...................180,260 sets have been sold. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file