Home U.S. Coin Forum

2021 T1 & T2 Gold 1/10 oz 2 Piece Set JULY 29

coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭
edited May 15, 2021 7:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just recd USM glossy ad in the mail—looks like the 21XK product—2 Pc 1/10 oz Gold “Designer Edition” is limited to 5,000 sets (Product limit)
Will this include reverse proofs?

Comments

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Looks like by recently release mintage limits—the T2 regular gold proof in 4 coin sets and singly will max the mintage limit. What surfaces will these be in this designer set???

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that mintage # - will prob mean I won't be able to acquire one from mint, but if I end up being able to, I'll be happy w it

as w all these relatively low releases, good luck yall

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:
    Looks like by recently release mintage limits—the T2 regular gold proof in 4 coin sets and singly will max the mintage limit. What surfaces will these be in this designer set???

With them both being made at West Point, and with the mintage limit already maxed out on both proof versions, I think we can rule out a proof finish.
    My guess is a T1 and T2 in reverse proof. A finish that will obscure any detail on a trinket that size, unfortunately.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

write in!

make it 20,000 1 HHL !

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    write in!

make it 20,000 1 HHL !

scratch the 20,000 and make it 25,000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    write in!

make it 20,000 1 HHL !

scratch the 20,000 and make it 25,000

would def like it even more w this mintage; so more people could buy it

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope we can get one.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2021 6:07PM

Is there anything from the Mint that specifically says it is NOT a regular Type I proof bundled with the new Type II proof, other than stated, but uncertain real mintages, product packaging, and other tricks? Is the "designer" edition really going to be a unique finish not mentioned before, or just designer packaging with maybe a numbered certificate?

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2021 4:54PM

This is the title of the product on the website:

American Eagle 2021 One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Two-Coin Set

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-tenth-ounce-gold-proof-two-coin-set-21XK.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

There is still no new information that indicates this 2 piece set is going to include a different finish for the one-tenth ounce proof coins that were already issued for Type I part of the pair.

Waiting for more information on this designer set concept.

Exactly. Can’t be regular proof. Both 2021 T1 and T2 maximums are covered in regular proof offerings.
    If I am to guess—reverse proof on this set.
    It will be a winner.

i agree with the thought that the details would be lost with a RP.

a burnished version would be ok.

but who knows?

what if they're................COLORIZED?!?!!!!! 😱

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a UHR, RP elongated? All bases covered now? :D;) Cheers, RickO

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if they are MATTE PROOF.

Only matte proof gold in 100 years, one of each old/new eagle, 5k total mintage...

edited May 16, 2021 7:16AM

The 2021 1/10 ounce Type II eagles have these limits stated now and also state the following:

Item Number: 21EEN
    Mintage Limit: 20,250
    Product Limit: 10,000
    Household Order Limit: 1

"Legacy details have been restored for the obverse design to include modifications to the Capitol Building, stars, torch, sun rays, and other design elements based on the original bronze cast."

So, they could use the new improved obverse design dies, with the old Type I reverse dies. That would mean it could be a regular proof, but a "designer" version obverse. Then the 5,000 more would be possible, as it is technically a different design.

I really thought I was done with Type I proofs, but they just keep coming.

The one ounce Type II also has "Among the new features is an anti-counterfeit reeded edge variation." Does not look like the fractional versions will have this feature.

Basically it looks like it got a tooth knocked out:

thanks for sharing that @Goldminers

for some reason I had decided to get type 1 and type 2 1/10s individually and as the set, felt redundant, but now seems like it won't be the worst decision as there'll be key differences between the individuals and the 2 coin set

zoned right in on the 'tooth-gapped' reeding; interesting

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone has a buy offer I’ll try.

So your admission that you’re a flipper.....so be it, to each his own

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

It would have been nicer if they put the date font and mintmark in the same way they did the 1907-1933 double eagles.

• HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 12:07PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    write in!

make it 20,000 1 HHL !

Agree. Everyone needs to write in!!!

Here's the email:

usmint-support@usmcatalog.com

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:

Lmfao

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

Lmfao

Most of us buy one because we are collectors and if we can get more to “flip”.
    It just struck me as funny that the only reason why you buy one is if there is a “posted buy price” higher than offering.
    True definition of “I don’t care about the coins at all—I just want to make some money”
    And BYW—why would I want to write the mint to offer more??? Yea let’s just convince them to mint a million so they really are worthless!!!

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

I freely admit to flipping this if I can get one. Like jmlanzaf said, the profits go into coins I actually want at a much lower cost basis for me.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Unfortunately the flippers make it much harder for those who actually want one of these sets for themselves at issue price.
    I have no respect for those that jump in line just to buy and flip. I remember the 2014 Gold Kennedy debacle. Those standing in line to buy one didn’t even know what they were buying.

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

Lmfao

It just struck me as funny that the only reason why you buy one is if there is a “posted buy price” higher than offering.
    True definition of “I don’t care about the coins at all—I just want to make some money”
    And BYW—why would I want to write the mint to offer more??? Yea let’s just convince them to mint a million so they really are worthless!!!

So, you admit that YOU are a flipper?!?!?!? Oh, the irony...

What if someone doesn't like THIS coin, but wants to flip it to fund a different coin purchase? How is that any different than you who buys it because you are a (pure as virgin snow) "collector" but feel it is okay to then get "more to 'flip'"?

What if I'm a dealer? Is that higher or lower than a flipper on your numismatic virtue scale? A dealer will only buy the coin if there is a market for it. I assume that makes him impure because he is in it for the money.

I guess that makes everyone a dirty whore at their day job and pure as a virgin when it comes to their hobby.

Y'know? I can live with that.

I've got some work to do to get ready for my full day of whoring tomorrow.

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

Lmfao

What if someone doesn't like THIS coin, but wants to flip it to fund a different coin purchase? How is that any different than you who buys it because you are a (pure as virgin snow) "collector" but feel it is okay to then get "more to 'flip'"?

What if I'm a dealer? Is that higher or lower than a flipper on your numismatic virtue scale? A dealer will only buy the coin if there is a market for it. I assume that makes him impure because he is in it for the money.

I guess that makes everyone a dirty whore at their day job and pure as a virgin when it comes to their hobby.

No need to debate the obvious.
    Anyone who has absolutely no interest should just not bother to crowd the line.
    We see it time and time again. All we need is a good “burning” of the flippers and they will go away. I’m sure they are sitting in a whole bunch of Mayflower coins they can’t sell.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said: All we need is a good “burning” of the flippers and they will go away. I’m sure they are sitting in a whole bunch of Mayflower coins they can’t sell.

These two sentences are a contradiction

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren’t 2014 gold Kennedy’s going for around melt now?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

they sell for more than melt and more than issue price

@jwitten said:

@coiner said: All we need is a good “burning” of the flippers and they will go away. I’m sure they are sitting in a whole bunch of Mayflower coins they can’t sell.

No
    One is evidence of the other.

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

Lmfao

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

Lmfao

No need to debate the obvious.
    Anyone who has absolutely no interest should just not bother to crowd the line.
    We see it time and time again. All we need is a good “burning” of the flippers and they will go away. I’m sure they are sitting in a whole bunch of Mayflower coins they can’t sell.

I flipped dozens of Mayflower sets. Made money and sold out.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:

@jwitten said:

No
    One is evidence of the other.

But if us flippers have already been burned, wouldn’t we have gone away by now?

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just guessing, apx. $620 for the set?

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2021 7:14AM

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2021 7:22AM

FWIW anyone who buys a coin (or any product) to re-sell is a flipper. I'm a flipper, I fund my collection with profits.

I just bought a new car from the local flipper dealer.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:
    [...]

@coiner said:
    Unfortunately the flippers make it much harder for those who actually want one of these sets for themselves at issue price.
    I have no respect for those that jump in line just to buy and flip. I remember the 2014 Gold Kennedy debacle. Those standing in line to buy one didn’t even know what they were buying.

No one, at least from what I read, is suggesting "a million".

Like it or not, flippers exist. And, at 5,000 sets, this will be a difficult to get directly from the Mint. Increasing the mintage will simply serve to ease the constrained supply. After all, no one wants a repeat of 20XE.
    Immediate Pricing Impact
    Customer Perception

You brought up the "2014 Gold Kennedy debacle". For comparison, that mintage was 73,772. If a unique release of 70K+ was a "debacle", how do you expect the pending release of 5,000 to unfold?

@MetroD said:

@coiner said:
    [...]

@coiner said:

No one, at least from what I read, is suggesting "a million".

Like it or not, flippers exist. And, at 5,000 sets, this will be a difficult to get directly from the Mint. Increasing the mintage will simply serve to ease the constrained supply. After all, no one wants a repeat of 20XE.
    Immediate Pricing Impact
    Customer Perception

You brought up the "2014 Gold Kennedy debacle". For comparison, that mintage was 73,772. If a unique release of 70K+ was a "debacle", how do you expect the pending release of 5,000 to unfold?

IF he really hates flippers, he should be happy with a mintage of a million. No one will flip it and true collectors like himself can acquire one easily. Sure, they may be worth less in a couple of years, but why would a TRUE COLLECTOR care about the resale value. They aren't in it for the money like those dirty flippers.

This discussion has been closed.