Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greatest US Coins - My Quest Obtain 32 - 39th Coin Added

124»

Comments

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that 1861-D gold dollar!!!
    That is the King of gold dollars. I have been collecting gold dollars for 30 years but will likely never own one of those.
    Great history and back story.

liefgold
  • Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@liefgold said:
    I love that 1861-D gold dollar!!!
    That is the King of gold dollars. I have been collecting gold dollars for 30 years but will likely never own one of those.
    Great history and back story.

It was not easy to buy. I was outbid 2 or 3 times on higher grade examples. I paid a very strong price for an XF example!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2022 1:35PM

Picked up recently.

1996 W Dime

A mintage far less than any of the Quarters in the 2 year, 2019/2020, "W" Quarter program.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 1916-D Dime!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! It currently looks better than a 63FB!

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    NEW COIN - 36 Total from Garrett books - see website:

https://sc-coins.com/

This coin is #52 on Garrett list. It is also #13 on circulated coin list. It was purchased at recent Heritage auction.

1861-D G$1 XF45 CERTIFICATION #09100532, PCGS #7559

Please send me your replaced coin.
    Truly an exquisite coin.
    The pictures are also exquisite.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    Wow! It currently looks better than a 63FB!

I believe the grade is correct but the eye appeal of this coin is great.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely beautiful collection. I'm speechless at how amazing every one of your pieces are. :o

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an amazing collection! Normally it would bother me to no end to work on a collection I can't complete, but this one is inspiring.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing collection!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe I have missed this thread. WONDERFUL stuffl
    Reminiscent of @BillJones
    Really like this kind of collecting. Coins don't HAVE TO BE condition census to be included in a collection.

Bookmarked for sure! B)

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful collection! Congratulations! All of the coins posted have been superb!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

Thanks for kind words. It is getting very difficult to add coins to this collection. I was outbid 3 times on the 1861 s $20 Paquet and 3 times on an 1870cc $20. Each time I made what I thought was a very strong bid. I should be able to upgrade a few.
    I was offered a 1841 $2.5 but the price was out of line. There is an 1870s $1 comming up but I don't like to add details graded coins.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 3:06PM

That pattern is a very pretty coin.

In my view, the New Haven Restrike is more of an imitation than a real Fugio cent, as it was made sometime in 1858-1877.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/963640/why-fugio-new-haven-restrikes-are-called-restrikes

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very curious @gschwernk - why are you selling your collection?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    This collection is to be auctioned in January. I am only added coins that I purchase for other sets I am forming. This upgrade is for my SLQ set.

UPGRADE: 1918/7-S 25C FS-101 AU58 PCGS

Have you selected the venue for the auction? Sorry if I missed it earlier.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@gschwernk said:
    This collection is to be auctioned in January. I am only added coins that I purchase for other sets I am forming. This upgrade is for my SLQ set.

I have selected a major auction company. I do not think it is proper for me to hype the sale here but it is being covered in major publications.

Good luck with the sale- you have some nice coins and the market seems strong- what’s next on your collecting horizon?

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:

@gschwernk said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@gschwernk said:

I have selected a major auction company. I do not think it is proper for me to hype the sale here but it is being covered in major publications.

Good luck with the sale- you have some nice coins and the market seems strong- what’s next on your collecting horizon?

I am working on early $10 with varieties, classic $5, cac $3 and I am redoing a basic coin design set(I will try to do with the high grade proofs which you like). I am just finishing 5c buff cac and a complete set of slq with all varieties.

• Options

@gschwernk said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@gschwernk said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@gschwernk said:

I am working on early $10 with varieties, classic $5, cac $3 and I am redoing a basic coin design set(I will try to do with the high grade proofs which you like). I am just finishing 5c buff cac and a complete set of slq with all varieties.

Well that sounds like six fun, challenging projects- good luck and please share when you feel ready!

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@gschwernk said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@gschwernk said:

So, in other words, nothing too difficult or time-consuming. ;)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 9:34AM

Completing a set is overrated. This endeavor is fantastic, For sale soon? Say it isn't so!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@gschwernk said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@gschwernk said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@gschwernk said:

So, in other words, nothing too difficult or time-consuming. ;)

…..or expensive!

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    Thanks for kind words. It is getting very difficult to add coins to this collection. I was outbid 3 times on the 1861 s $20 Paquet and 3 times on an 1870cc $20. Each time I made what I thought was a very strong bid. I should be able to upgrade a few.
    I was offered a 1841 $2.5 but the price was out of line. There is an 1870s $1 comming up but I don't like to add details graded coins.

WOWZA!!!!!!

That's some fierce competition you got going on there. :o

Wishing you all the very best to acquire those soon.

Cheers.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

impressive set and a goal that might take a lifetime to achieve for only those that are lucky. Congrats on your accomplishments and thanks for keeping up your website. I do visit it to see some great coins.

Easton Collection
  • Options

@EastonCollection said:
    impressive set and a goal that might take a lifetime to achieve for only those that are lucky. Congrats on your accomplishments and thanks for keeping up your website. I do visit it to see some great coins.

Thanks. From time to time I post when I make improvements to my website. I always appreciate any comments on how to make it better.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's neither a secret nor a surprise that at least some of these (I haven't checked for all of them) are appearing in the Heritage January FUN auction catalogs (I received mine in the mail yesterday). Very best of luck to you @gschwernk

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

Incredibly journey and best of luck at auction!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've put in a couple of auction bids on some of your extremely nice coins! Wishing you and everyone here Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with Peace, Joy, Health, and Prosperity!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing.

I think there is a book worthy, amazing journey to be told.

If only my collecting direction was this focused!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@giorgio11 said:
    I've put in a couple of auction bids on some of your extremely nice coins! Wishing you and everyone here Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with Peace, Joy, Health, and Prosperity!

Kind regards,

George

Thanks. Good Luck! Bid High?!

• Options

Good luck with the auction- hope you do well so you can buy more coins to show us!

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Good luck with the auction- hope you do well so you can buy more coins to show us!

Thanks. I always enjoy your proofs. Unfortunatley this sale has mostly rare items but not the spectacular proofs you like. I plan on offering some of those in August. I am getting very heavily into paper money. I hope to buy some of the rare items at the FUN auction. I also hope to add to $10 and $20 Golds to my collection as well.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 38 out 100 is an amazing achievement and you can be very proud. I did not expect you to sell this set so soon, but I was attracted to your 1864 PR65BN two cent on Heritage a few days ago and am tracking it. Amazing toning.

I wish you the best on the auction and I will track a few more of your coins as well.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received the Heritage catalogues and was very impressed by the coins you collected from the "100 Greatest U. S. Coins". Acquiring 38 out of the 100 is truly amazing! Congratulations for doing this! And, good luck with the sale!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

I am eyeing several of your lots in the FUN auction.

Easton Collection
  • Options

@EastonCollection said:
    I am eyeing several of your lots in the FUN auction.

If you check the fact section of my website you can find out more about the coins that you seek.

• Options

BTW - enjoyed viewing the lots at FUN. Very nice coins.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

Congratulations.

• Options

Website Updated:

https://sc-coins.com/

Many coins were auctioned by Heritage following the 2023 FUN show (prices realized shown on website). I will add additional coins when they fit my on going collections. The 1795 $10 9 leaves above is an example. I will retain the images and info for all coins on this website for all to enjoy.

• Options

1798/7 $10 is stunning and a great coin. congratulations

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file