Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greatest US Coins - My Quest Obtain 32 - 39th Coin Added

Comments

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    32 > 31 (Carter and Dunham).
    He might not stop at 32, but it's a good target for the time being, I think.

That is why I put the goal at 32. Also at that point cost is very high for each addition.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... coins that old, from that period, are all treasures. Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is for sure an iconic piece. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! What an amazing collection. I'll likely never have the funds to devote that much to a single piece... but I have been thinking about certain coins on that list and how I can attain similar coins that would somewhat fit into my current collecting habits. For instance, I will never own an 1804 Draped Bust Dollar, but that Type coin is on my 18th Century list... not the same, for sure... but a boy can dream! :wink:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your making great progress!

• Options

Congratulations!!! You're 75% of the way to your goal.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great stuff. I think this is a great effort on your part .

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

This coin is a beauty and hands down one of my favorite pieces as far as design goes.

Congrats.

Donato

• Options

Wow, she is a beauty. I love the reverse design of the $10 gold, it just screams, "AMERICA"!!!

Congrats on this awesome pickup.

Donato

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

You now have a collection of 26 coins where every coin has an interesting story. Any of these coins would enhance a collection. However put all these together it is really a spectacular collection. Congrats!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great great collection. Is your set retired in the registry or active?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW. I can only dream of having any of those beautiful coins.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did Pan Pac $50's acquire wear? Were they used in commerce? That seems crazy to me.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you working with an expert who can view and provide an opinion on the coins before you acquire them? These are very nice but expensive coins. Hopefully you have someone on your side to consult with before making the purchase.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the endeavor! Enjoy!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

100 Greatest US Coins...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. You are making quick progress.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far, around 715K cost…..

Must be a fun journey! 👍

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did I just find this thread now? Great collection and progress! I have one on the list, a Fugio cent, and it ain't high grade. I have had the opportunity to "play with" (i.e., photograph) several on this list. I'll have to look at my archives to see how many, but I'm guessing my collection of photos has fewer coins than your actual set.

• Options

Incredible collection for sure. Five more pieces to reach your goal.

Congratulations on your latest pickup.

Donato

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admire all the coins so far, but love the 1792 copper disme.

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

This is an absolutely incredible collection. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

You are putting together an awesome collection. Love what you are doing. Thanks for sharing

Visit USPatterns.com

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    NEW COIN: 1796 No Stars $2.5 AU 50
    GOAL 32 of 100 Greatest Coins – NEW Total 26

This coin is #67 on the PCGS 100 greatest list. It is #62 on the 5th edition list. I bought this coin at the most recent DLRC auction for $124,500. The PCGS guide value is $150,000.

According to Ron Guth:

"The 1796 Quarter Eagle with No Stars on the obverse is one of the most historic and important U.S. gold coins. The mintage is a mere 963 pieces, which is exceedingly small by any standard. Estimates of the number of surviving examples has ranged all over the place. David Akers claimed 30 to 40, refuting earlier claims of 15 to 20 known. The cataloger at Heritage estimated 80 to 100 in their January 2007 sale. PCGS experts estimate a surviving population of 100 to 125 pieces. To put a finer spin on things, we have images of 28 different examples, all in AU or better. Eleven of those examples are Mint State 60 or better. At the top of the condition census is the incredible PCGS MS65 (finest by two full points) that sold for $1,725,000 in January 2008.

It is very difficult to locate a "perfect" 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle. Many show lintmarks of various sizes. Some show adjustment marks, usually in the center of the obverse. The Bass:261 coin (now in an NGC MS60 holder) shows three different, mint-caused defects: a diagonal fissure running from the turban to Liberty's temple; vertical adjustment marks on the obverse; and a heavy lintmark on the right side of the reverse (yet, it is still a nice, six-figure coin). Though there are numerically finer examples, my personal favorite is Bob Simpson's PCGS MS62+ -- it is well-struck, has great color, and is free of any distracting problems."

One of my favorite U.S. coins. I love the uncluttered field.
    I also like concept of the collection. Good luck with it!
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just beautiful coins !
    Enjoying your pursuit........

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

you are just killin it !!! congratulations !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, just wow. I love how you dont appear to be getting caught up in the grade game but choosing pleasing artifacts that provide a good combination of value and appeal. I love the Disme and Continental dollar epically but they are all treasures.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file