Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greatest US Coins - My Quest Obtain 32 - 39th Coin Added

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2021 2:05PM

Dad is that you hahaha!!! Great coins congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    1909-S VDB 1C, RD MS65RD CERTIFICATION #09772621, PCGS #2428
    GOAL 32 of 100 Greatest Coins – Current Total 27

This coin is #14 on the PCGS 100 greatest list. It is #27 on the 5th edition list. I bought this coin from DLRC for $4,000. The PCGS guide value is $7,500.

DLRC must have given you the best clients' discount! : )

P.S. Love seeing your adventures.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soooooo nice!

Thanks for letting us enjoy these!!

Drunner

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came across this thread and it's really exciting to see this collection in the process of being assembled. Looking forward to the next addition!

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 339 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 of the 27 coins in the collection have now been posted. It will be getting harder and harder to add new coins from now on because of cost and availability.

• Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

This is a great thread. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome collection

Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked the Gobrecht Dollars. One reasons I go to shows is to see beautiful coins like these, that I know I will never own. Ditto re an Unc. Strawberry Leaf Cent of Unc. Bust Dollar.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins, I look forward to seeing more. Thanks.

Vplite99
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

We appreciate your time and effort and hope you the best in your pursuit.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this thread. I just hope someone is not buying coins ahead of you and dangling them in front of you.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speechless. Wonderful coins.
    Lance.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

She is a beauty. I love the details on the lower curls of her hair.

Congrats on your pickup and thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a set of coins!

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. IMO, that coin looks to be worthy of a gold bean, unless the reverse has a problem.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 11:27PM

Wow, that's really quite a nice 1802.
    Most of them are details graded, wrecked by large areas of deep scratches, bent, etc.
    As a VG-10 straight grade, this is probably somewhere between #10 and #14 in the census list.

[Heritage photo from link below]
    It looks to me like it is the "John Lyman" specimen, Serial #202 on the Jon Amato - Pete Smith list.
    https://coins.ha.com/information/half-dimes-1802.s
    The vertical scratch on the cheek and nice obverse fields look like a match to yours.

Hopefully you can get a nicer photo of the reverse soon.
    The one on your website is out of focus and upside down.
    (I know it's not easy to get a good photo of a half dime in a slab!)

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 1802 half dime. I really like coins with true, honest rarity as opposed to condition rarity or made-to-order rarity (e.g., 1913 Liberty Head).

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    $50 XF 40
    GOAL 32 of 100 Greatest Coins – Current Total 26

This coin is #35 on the PCGS 100 greatest list. It is #68 on the 5th edition list. I bought this coin at a 2020 DLRC auction for $33,500. The PCGS guide value is $40,000. The coin appears worn in the trueview image. It is much nicer and very impressive in hand.

Very nice coin! Glad to see the inclusion of pioneer territorial coins in your collection!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    NEW COIN: 1851 $1 RESTRIKE, CAM PR64CAM CERTIFICATION #83579136, PCGS #86993
    GOAL 32 of 100 Greatest Coins – NEW Total 28

This coin is #81 on the PCGS 100 Greatest list. Only a single PR65 is graded higher by PCGS. I have been outbid on a couple of other 100 greatest coins recently. It is getting much harder to add coins to this collection.

Very very cool!

I didn't expect to see a restrike in the 100 Greatest, but it's nice to know they are recognized!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    20 of the 27 coins in the collection have now been posted. It will be getting harder and harder to add new coins from now on because of cost and availability.

Amazing group of coins. #29 is simply a stunner! Good luck in your quest.

Mark

• Options
    edited January 1, 2022 1:33PM

@gschwernk said:

@yosclimber said:
    Most of them are details graded, wrecked by large areas of deep scratches, bent, etc.
    As a VG-10 straight grade, this is probably somewhere between #10 and #14 in the census list.

It looks to me like it is the "John Lyman" specimen, Serial #202 on the Jon Amato - Pete Smith list.
    The vertical scratch on the cheek and nice obverse fields look like a match to yours.

I only have an Iphone for photos. I could not get reverse in focus. It is difficult to photo such a small coin. This coin was owned by Northeast and sold to Heritage and then to me. But as you said graded 1802 Half Dimes are almost never available. I am working on adding 10 year auction data to my website.

Yes, with an iphone a small coin in a slab is tough (also difficult even with a better camera).

Most of the 1802 half dime auction data is on my 2015 thread on the "top 9":
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/937249/1802-half-dime-provenance-top-9-specimens
    I can send you the spreadsheet if that would be helpful.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@gschwernk said:

@yosclimber said:

I only have an Iphone for photos. I could not get reverse in focus. It is difficult to photo such a small coin. This coin was owned by Northeast and sold to Heritage and then to me. But as you said graded 1802 Half Dimes are almost never available. I am working on adding 10 year auction data to my website.

Yes, with an iphone a small coin in a slab is tough (also difficult even with a better camera).

Most of the 1802 half dime auction data is on my 2015 thread on the "top 9":
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/937249/1802-half-dime-provenance-top-9-specimens
    I can send you the spreadsheet if that would be helpful.

Nice research. As of now I am only doing a simple 10 year analysis of the PCGS auction data file. It does give an idea of rarity and price. I'll let you know if I decide to go in more depth.

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Very impressive collection. I really like the clashed "E" on the 1918/7 quarter too.

• Options
    stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

I am positively green with envy lol. I feel like I have had dreams where I found myself in possession of perhaps one or two coins from the '100 greatest.' I can't even fathom being able to acquire pieces like this with relative rapidity as you have--well done!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on meeting your 32 coin goal! I haven't looked closely at the list, but is it feasible to extend the goal, or is that not planned?

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

As seen in the thread on the 1840 half eagle, doing something like this is getting increasingly difficult given the prices being paid on much sought after coins. All the best to you on your quest.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    Original Goal Reached 32 coins from PCGS list.
    NEW COIN - 35 Total from Garrett books - see website:

https://sc-coins.com/

1943 1C BRONZE, BN AU50BN CERTIFICATION #41418296, PCGS #82709

This coin #8 on Garrett list was purchased at a Great Collections auction.

This a Major purchase. Below are the 7 coins ranked higher. It is unlikely I will own any of these because of cost and availablity.

I was watching that lot- congratulations! Big purchase!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have an amazing set. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing set!

• Options
    edited February 26, 2022 9:10PM

Wow, a dream coin, up there with the 1792 disme.
    (Many dream coins in the collection, actually!)

FYI, there is some duplicate text at the end of the last paragraph in the auction description under Facts.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    NEW COIN: 1792 10C J-10, BN SP25BN CERTIFICATION #01003139, PCGS #11026
    GOAL 32 of 100 Greatest Coins – NEW Total 27

This coin is #29 on the PCGS 100 greatest list. It is #20 on the 5th edition list. I bought this coin at a recent Heritage auction for $138,000. The PCGS guide value is $200,000.

This is a very rare coin. The current PCGS POP is 13 with 9 graded higher.

AUCTION RECORD: $705,000.00 • PCGS SP64BN • 04/27/2016 • HERITAGE AUCTIONS

OH MY

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    GOAL 32 of 100 Greatest Coins – Current Total 21

The next coin I will show is a1794 silver $1 in grade VF details. This is a difficult coin for me to describe. The 1794 $1 is my favorite coin of all US coins so I would like to own a better copy. However, it is a very popular coin that gets very expensive in almost any grade. A VF35 example sold for $288,000 in 2020. I hope to find a well struck F15 to VF20 to purchase at a reasonable price in the future.

This coin is #20 on the PCGS 100 greatest list. The 1794 $1 has moved to #3 on the 5th edition of the famous book. I bought this coin in 2020 at a Heritage auction for $84,000. The PCGS guide does not value non-numerically graded examples. Only 1758 silver dollars were struck. Approximately 150 survive many of which have been repaired.

Very nice. I still recall being the underbidder on one of those decades ago in a VF grade. Definitely should have chased it.

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    Wow, a dream coin, up there with the 1792 disme.
    (Many dream coins in the collection, actually!)

FYI, there is some duplicate text at the end of the last paragraph in the auction description under Facts.

Corrected. Thank-you.

• Options

Pretty cool coin.
    I also really like the improved reverse photo for the 1802 half dime!

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    Pretty cool coin.
    I also really like the improved reverse photo for the 1802 half dime!

I bought a clip on macro lens for my iphone. It works well but I don't have optimum lighting to take really good coin photos.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file