Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1958 Topps Football Cello Rip - Jim Brown!!

Comments

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Absolute beauty of a card!!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heckuva pull. Congrats.

You can now begin shopping for a new car. :)

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

That was one of the best Youtube videos I have ever seen. Congrats!!!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Here's the video my wife took!!

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

How great the Brown is the best centered (or at least one of them) card in the pack!

Are you going to scratch off the Football Fun spot! Lol. Imagine

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on one of the nicest pulls I have ever seen, Chris.

PS - Hoegaarden - nice.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Congrats Chris! That was awesome. Good to put a face with the name.

Mike

PackManInNC
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Outstanding!! Absolute blazer.
    Congrats!!

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

at the risk of hyperbole, that may be THE finest copy on earth...

• Options

Wow amazing to see such a fantastic pull on vintage

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Great Video, enjoyed it. Jon Arnett, the Jaguar as they labeled him, my great hope for the Rams. Great card of the one and only Jim Brown.

• Options

What I want to see is the video of you putting Jim into the card sleeve. Holy Batman that process would freak me out.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    What I want to see is the video of you putting Jim into the card sleeve. Holy Batman that process would freak me out.

That's why I got away from the card!! I knew I had to move away from it and settle down!!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

UFFDAH can you give us the history on the pack?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

The centering on that 9 is atrocious. Yuck.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

That’s amazing. Love the genuine passion and excitement in the video. Yours is far superior to that other 9.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2021 7:32AM

Just awesome, thank you for the back story. I am very happy for you and I agree it confirms why they should be ripped.

Can you imagine being the person that auctioned that pack? Oh my that would be a hard pill to swallow, the bad beats of all bad beats.

I hope it gets graded a nine. I think it had a 95% chance of grading a 9 years ago but it seems that grading has become stricter the last couple of years. Good luck and if it does grade a 9 enjoy retiring early... B)

What's your next move now that you have 2 gorgeous Jim Brown rookies?

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football-cards/singles-1950-1959-/1958-topps-62-jim-brown-psa-mint-9/a/7165-51661.s

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 7:44AM

Great story!
    The card, the video, the backstory...it's all perfect.
    I couldn't be happier for a fellow collector.
    Dear Joe, put your best graders on this please. TY

• Options
    edited March 30, 2021 7:43AM

@cakes and @emar Thanks - very much appreciated!! At this point will see what it grades and take it from there. This one is ultra special though to me, that's for sure!!

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't looked through the entire thread again, but has anyone asked when and how you are going to submit ?

You now have the beautiful option of keeping one and selling the other. Have you given thought to where your profits may go ? Right now, you have a $4,000 investment in that pack which is now produced an incredible return. You're now playing with house money to go out and fill any holes you may want to fill, or you can buy a beautiful vintage restored car, or a nice boat with the profits. You obviously don't have to share if it's private, but we're all just so happy that an average Joe like the rest of us hit some good fortune.

As someone who has been having a tough year (yes, year) dealing with the after effects of Covid, this video certainly made
    my day. It's nice to see someone get so happy and enjoy the good things in life.

• Options
    beachbumcollectingbeachbumcollecting Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 8:24AM

awesome pull!!! centering is usually off. just collect pulled an sgc 8.5 from these cellos before their whole pack breaking business but the other 2 pulls I know of were way off centered.

make sure to keep the video and the pack and the pics. I pulled a 58 johnny u and it came back trimmed when these cellos first started to surface. I called right away and discussed and then they took it back and put it in an 8 holder before shipping which was a bit harsh as it was at least an 8.5 but what way better than having it be trimmed

• Options

@beachbumcollecting said:
    awesome pull!!! centering is usually off. just collect pulled an sgc 8.5 from these cellos before their whole pack breaking business but the other 2 pulls I know of were way off centered.

make sure to keep the video and the pack and the pics. I pulled a 58 johnny u and it came back trimmed when these cellos first started to surface. I called right away and discussed and then they took it back and put it in an 8 holder before shipping which was a bit harsh as it was at least an 8.5 but what way better than having it be trimmed

I agree capturing the provenance/history is important.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    The history is that I have always wanted to rip a 1958 Cello Pack. I have a few 58 Cello packs and this one in particular I bought off a Heritage Auction in December 2020 for $4200. I watched a Just Rip It video that hit a Brown 2 cards after the Giants card. I knew at that time I would plan to rip this particular pack on a "rainy" day. Just to confirm it was a good candidate I reached out to a collector friend who is very knowledgeable with vintage Football card sequencing. He agreed there was a likelihood although not guaranteed. Fast forward Saturday was a "rainy" day literally. I told my wife we're gonna hunker in the basement, watch basketball and we'll open the 58 pack. My plan was to just take photos and not video. I got on Facebook Messenger with Jake Ralfs from Iowa and started to share the pics and the anticipation built. The 2nd card was the Eagles Team card and I slid it down ever so slightly and stopped when I saw the Black with the titch of blue sky. That is the moment I looked at my wife and said this could be it!!! I asked her to take a snapchat video just in case. We got ready, recording started and I tried sliding the Eagles card down further to see if Jim Brown's face revealed. When I saw his face it spiraled and my eyes instantly saw how centered the top and side borders were looking. As I continued to slide the card down the centering continued to be dead on and once the bottom anchored the card centering I just came unglued!! I knew I had to get away from the card so as not to accidently damage it etc. I stayed away from the card for probably 10 minutes to calm down and then carefully got it into the holder. It went into the holder perfectly, we took some pics etc. Jake and I went back and forth via Facebook Messenger and it was exciting. I then went through the rest of the pack taking pics of each card and sharing with Jake. The card is a Unicorn, especially in light of the centering on the rest of the cards that ranged from Ho Hum to terrible. A Holy Grail that was meant to be freed from it's pack!!

It was great sharing it with you Chris! My son and I were at our farm and were hanging on every text! Such an incredible pull, especially like you said, it was the only centered card among a bunch of other OC ones. You've been living clean and were blessed! Can't wait to see the result. Cheers my friend

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome pull and great card. Looks like an 8 or maybe an 8.5 due to the centering (assuming no other flaw that can't be picked up from the scans). Hope I am wrong and you get a 9.

Robb

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

That's amazing! I think it has as good a shot at a 10 as any Brown could possibly have. Finest example of that card in the entire hobby. Congrats!

• Options

@A761506 said:
    That's amazing! I think it has as good a shot at a 10 as any Brown could possibly have. Finest example of that card in the entire hobby. Congrats!

I like the enthusiasm but here is a nice 9 that sold via auction.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football-cards/singles-1950-1959-/1958-topps-62-jim-brown-psa-mint-9/a/7165-51661.s

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

I think UFFDAH's looks better (the back also)....absolutely a 9 IMO, and possibly the finest copy ever.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Great job on doing your homework on sequencing.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@A761506 said:

I like the enthusiasm but here is a nice 9 that sold via auction.

I think Uffdahs Brown is better centered than that PSA 9. It's all up to the grader. I once cracked an 8 that came back a 10. So anything can happen. But if the card has four sharp corners, then it's a 9 with that kind of centering you would think.

• Options

I agree his is a beauty I just don't see it getting graded a 10 like @A761506 said.

• Options

UFF,

You should inscribe the label “From a Sealed Pack”.

• Options

@balco758 - Heritage is having the card graded since I bought the pack from them. That is an idea I will run past them.

• Options

@balco758 said:
    UFF,

Just clarify, aren’t they all? 😂

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

SICK

• Options
    edited March 31, 2021 3:05AM

The back looks stunning as well... & it looks to be the best card of the rip ....Yeehaw!!

• Options

half million or more babe! Congrats.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@beachbumcollecting said:

I agree capturing the provenance/history is important.

I'll also reinforce this. I pulled a 1971 Catfish Hunter from a rack pack (video is on Youtube). They said it was trimmed. I resubbed it a year or so later and it came back a 7.5. It wasn't an expensive card, so I didn't complain when it came back trimmed. I just sent it in again.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@balco758 said:
    UFF,

Agreed, I prefer that the labels stay simple. On the coin collecting side it got really crazy.

• Options

@Cakes said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@balco758 said:
    UFF,

Agreed, I prefer that the labels stay simple. On the coin collecting side it got really crazy.

I was just making a joke about the fact that cards come from packs.

I get what he meant.

• Options

The card's journey for grading has begun.

After I holdered the card and took a few hasty pics it went straight into a gun safe and there it has sat.

When I retrieved the card for the journey I put it under magnification. Most (if not all) of what I thought was "snow" on the card is 68 year old Topps manufacturing dust and it comes right off showing the regal black. I am not taking the card out of the sleeve to fully dust off, leaving that to the Pros. There is also dust being attracted from the static cling of the plastic holder.

The black on the card is MUCH better than I originally thought and the corners are sexy!!

It's a Doozy of a card!!

• Options

Just amazing!!! I think I would attempt my first back flip. Careful that bear doesn't get to it. Congrats!!

Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris...

The snow was my only question of not receiving a PSA-9. With that flaw dismissed...I believe it will come back a Mint card.
    So...were you able to submit the card for grading before PSA shut down submissions until July 1?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls - Hey Monte - it's in the hands of Heritage for submission. Don't know timing etc.

• Options

I don’t know that I could hand that card off to someone. Degree of difficulty list for me:

Dropping off kid at daycare first time
    Freshman college drop off kid 1
    Potential Jimmy handoff. I would be freaking out.

Prayers for the 9. I think you get it.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Man, that is fantastic! Nice looking cards, especially the Brown RC!!!!!!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Chris...

The snow was my only question of not receiving a PSA-9. With that flaw dismissed...I believe it will come back a Mint card.
    So...were you able to submit the card for grading before PSA shut down submissions until July 1?

This card is far, far above the levels that were suspended.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

So are you saying that Heritage will "clean" the card for you before submitting?

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    So are you saying that Heritage will "clean" the card for you before submitting?

I don't know what Heritage does other than they have experience submitting valuable cards and insuring/transporting valuable cards whereas I don't. Between PSA and Heritage who have experience working together I'm sure they will treat the card appropriately.

• Options

That would have been my exact path as well. Wise choice.