Home U.S. Coin Forum

How would you grade these two Carson City Seated halves

EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always found Carson City Seated coinage extremely interesting. These are two seated halves from that mint which I added to my collection some years ago. Both are encapsulated.

I would be interested to hear your how you would grade them.

Thank you.

Eduard

Comments

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. VG10
    2. VF35
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC F15 on the 1871-CC and NGC XF45 on the 1878-CC.

Grading the CC-mint halves by the completeness of the word "LIBERTY" is unreliable, and it is not consistent with the way our host grades them. As Rich Uhrich explained to me in the past, many of the CC-mint halves were struck with improper striking pressure, so the obverse was slightly convex. Thus, it is common to see F-VF coins on which the word LIBERTY is essentially worn off, while the reverse looks like it grades higher.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

F15 and XF40..... Old CC halves that have done their commercial duty....Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 5:16AM

1871 VG-8. The reverse is better, but that does not grade the coin. There is a lot of wear on the obverse.

1878 VF-25, maybe 30. It’s nowhere near the classic EF. The surfaces are too worn.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice images and both are tough calls... the second being more difficult than the first.

The first, in my view, is a 10 because the obverse simply does not carry the grade. While the reverse is in the F12 spectrum, the obverse clearly misses the mark. It is still a decent example at a VG10 grade.

I would like to grade the second one at EF40... but I am unable to because of the reverse scratch between the wing and the eagle's head and extending into the neck. I see the location as distracting enough to grade the coin at 35. I still think it is a decent coin. I like the original surfaces and would prefer this coin over some enhanced coin that made 40 but the processed look is a greater problem from my perspective. I am likely in the minority on this so take my commentary for what it is worth.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

12 and 40 respectively.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 & 35

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG8 and EF40

The 1871- CC is too scuffed to be 10 or 12, IMO.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG 10 and VF 30

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 and 35

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG10 on the 71CC, VF35 on the 78CC...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 & 35

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG10 and XF40

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

10, 35.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly a grade bump compared to P mints due to branch mints not having the same striking quality? If so possibly a fine on the first and EF on second.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 and 25.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG10 and VF35, both reverses are quite better than obverses. Shame we no longer have obverse/reverse grades. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 12:32PM

VG-10

VF-30,35

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

VF 20
    XF 45

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

F-12
    VF-30

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG8
    VF30

All glory is fleeting.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    VG8
    VF30

I agree.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 and 40.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's enough spread in the grades in this thread that you'd think we're all newbies who started collecting last week. Conclusion: Circ. CC-mint Seated halves are hard to grade.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG10 & VF30 were my initial impressions; however, after seeing some other evaluations I think VG10 & VF 30 or 35.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 and 35

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 and 30 net for the staple scratch

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 and 35

NGC grades"?

@Eddi said:
    I have always found Carson City Seated coinage extremely interesting. These are two seated halves from that mint which I added to my collection some years ago. Both are encapsulated.

I would be interested to hear your how you would grade them.

Thank you.

Eduard

Waiting on grades on these.

• EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies, logger7. Here are the NGC grades.

• EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    NGC F15 on the 1871-CC and NGC XF45 on the 1878-CC.

Grading the CC-mint halves by the completeness of the word "LIBERTY" is unreliable, and it is not consistent with the way our host grades them. As Rich Uhrich explained to me in the past, many of the CC-mint halves were struck with improper striking pressure, so the obverse was slightly convex. Thus, it is common to see F-VF coins on which the word LIBERTY is essentially worn off, while the reverse looks like it grades higher.

Thank you, @Rhedden, for this interesting remarks. I had read in the past about the striking conditions at the Carson City mint which you refer too, but I cannot remember where I saw it. Your comments confirm that.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

FIne-15, “almost a VF” and EF-45?

Yea right. It is unfortunate that NGC does things like this to itself.

Strike plays a role in modifying a grade, but WEAR is the MAJOR FACTOR.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have said 15 and 35.
    Nice coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file