Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

There have been others. But are we too late for a Favorite Acquisition of 2020 thread?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2020 9:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The limits of a box of 20 collector means you have to be creative. Bullion doesn't count o:)

Rare Sheffield Smelting Co. 50 ounce poured silver bar, circa 1970, with Mocatta & Goldsmid counterstamp:

Shown here with its bigger brother.

Sheffield is one of the oldest smelters in the UK, with lineage going back to the 1760s. They were acquired by Engelhard at one point in the 1970s and produced a few co-branded bars. Mocatta & Goldsmid have been metals brokers in London since the 1670s!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:

Unless I am missing something, sure looks better than MS62.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have to be these two,
    Consecutive Cert Numbers...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not have many purchases this year. A 1939 proof set purchased in March is the best of 2020.

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Glad to see someone led off with a bar or 2.

Is that an ingot? I can't quite make out what it is. Dimensions?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weiss:

I'd estimate 1"x2"x6" - not an overly large bar.

Looking forward to seeing more posts - have enjoyed seeing the posts so far. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started trying to figure this out only to realize that I bought a lot of coins this year and that picking a favorite will take some effort.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rexford now there’s something you don’t see everyday. ⭐️

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Hopefully this puts to rest the people concerned about the @DLHansen pedigree labels!

I chuckled reading those comments in the OCD thread. A little opportunistic marketing by Hansen and DLRC? Sure, but I was surprised people would immediately reholder or even actively avoid purchasing a coin with this label. I don't mind the label aesthetically but to each their own. When you consider Hansen is still building his collection, so the coins available in the pedigree holders are his backups (or the backups to his backups), I can see how some may not want to be reminded of that. Not me however - I could be quite happy with a collection of Hansen cast offs.

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM I will never tire of seeing that one. Beautiful.

• Options

Wow. Some amazing pieces in this thread!

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @retirednow ! I’m digging your patterns!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file