Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

would you put this trade dollar in your type set?

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again. I've been on a tear lately picking up coins for the 41 coin Basic US Coin Design Registry Set [see my liberty half, bust dime and bust quarter threads], which I've been working on for a little over a year now. I'm sure it's no surprise that the Trade Dollar has been a difficult type — so many of them look awful, especially in low MS-grades, and many straight-graded examples look like they should be in details holders.

This PCGS-graded one recently popped up from the good folks at David Kahn Rare Coins, and I pulled the trigger within about a minute of seeing it. It arrived yesterday and the photos are pretty true to the in-hand look. I know this is a series that requires deep expertise in, and I'm eager to learn from those with a more trained eye. I'll follow up with the grade on the slab later.

Thanks for taking a look!

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2020 9:32AM

My answer would depend rather largely upon the assigned grade. That said, the coin appears to have a far more original look than a great many others I’ve seen.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks nice to me. I don't have any, yet, but I don't see anything in the pictures that would steer me away from it. I'm sure the first one I buy will not be nearly that nice looking.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭

While I am not a fan of the darker color, it looks original to me and it would go nicely into my Dansco 4040.

imageimage

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

The assigned grade wouldn’t make my decision for me. I’d keep it until I found one with more of the look I like, and that could very well be one with more wear.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

very few marks, which is always a plus. My own taste for a type example would tend towards one less deeply toned, but it's what _you _like that matters.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are we looking at, 55, 58, 61? Really hard to judge from the pics given the dark look. It doesn't really match the look of my set but it looks like probably an honest un-messed-with or not-very-messed-with coin, which is more than can be said for a lot of those.

mirabela
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. I'd be satisfied with it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the un-messed with look, and tend to agree with @mirabela's conjecture as to grade range. From the photo, given the very light rub on the obverse, I'd guess it's 58?

Higashiyama
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mirabela said:
    What are we looking at, 55, 58, 61? Really hard to judge from the pics given the dark look. It doesn't really match the look of my set but it looks like probably an honest un-messed-with or not-very-messed-with coin, which is more than can be said for a lot of those.

I'm thinking a very original 58.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@mirabela said:

I'm thinking a very original 58.

I was thinking the same, though a grade of up to MS62 wouldn’t surprise me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2020 7:06PM

That's one I'd have to see in hand to form an opinion I could see myself loving it instantly or passing on it instantly or anywhere in between.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the strike, and wear is minimal (if any). Relatively free of surface distractions, unless the overly dark toning is hiding some distractions. Personally, the toning is much too dark for my personal taste.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would not be one that I would buy, I like original but sometimes a coin can be too original for me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. Original and neat coin.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au55? Details of 58-62 but might have muted surfaces with that toning.
    Wispy marks on obverse may be on the slab, it's hard to tell. Halos around the stars can point to secondary toning, but not always. Just depends how it sits on the coin.

• Options

It has retoned over the years. Clean coin. Most are stuck well, except I've seen weak head detail in some 1873 Ps. Haven't looked at this series in quite awhile. I studied them, picked up my type coin, and moved onto other items.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a coin I used to own, a 53 if I remember right. It was a look I was a fan of early in my collecting, but now it’s a bit dark for my taste. It’s really about whether YOU like it. You don’t need our approval.

• Options

@Elcontador1 said:
    It has retoned over the years. Clean coin. Most are stuck well, except I've seen weak head detail in some 1873 Ps. Haven't looked at this series in quite awhile. I studied them, picked up my type coin, and moved onto other items.

Why do you think “retoned”, as opposed to toned?

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, definitely high AU details. Probably graded 50-55 due to dark toning that hides the luster. A lot of my Trade $'s are fairly dark. 142 year old silver coins should not be snow white.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not my type of toning, so it would be a "no" for me. I like these coins bright white or with a hint of toning that does not impair the luster.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some slab shots and a couple of different angles and lighting situations. The toning is indeed hiding some surface abrasion and hairlining, esp. on the obverse. Luster is flat and reflective on the obverse, mildly better on the reverse with a slight cartwheel effect. That leads me to conclude that it is secondary toning that has imparted an original look to the coin, which is what gave it the eye appeal and appearance that I personally like. The slab says AU50.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 7:05AM

I like it more from the follow up pics than the first ones. Even with the inopportune hit or two it's more appealing than most AU50 graded trade dollars I've seen, and not quite as flat and dark as the first pics made it look. As it looks now it would actually go rather well with other coins in my type set.

mirabela
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 8:31AM

I had a few trades/seated libertys with that look over the years. The impaired luster typically caused me to upgrade them eventually. For what’s that’s worth. I do agree it has more originality than 99% of the examples that are on the market at any given time. You won’t lose your shirt on coins like that

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a 50, I like this coin. While it may be too dark and to crusty for some tastes (possibly even my own), the coin looks mostly to fully original and seems to have few marks. The luster would be somewhat subdued with or without the toning due to some circulation and handling. I would imagine in hand it is not quite as flat or the color quite as monochromatic as it appears.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 11:13AM

I like darker toned trade dollars much better than the dull grayish trade dollars that I see more often. That’s why I went for the lower grade one below for my slabbed type set. I like that dark purplish look for trade dollars, I just wish mine didn’t have that break in the toning on the middle on the right, but since it’s circulated even that toning break doesn’t bother me that much.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I like it!

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud - wow, nice coin! I think there's a theme emerging in this thread -- really nice Trade Dollars for the assigned grade.

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    @Mr_Spud - wow, nice coin! I think there's a theme emerging in this thread -- really nice Trade Dollars for the assigned grade.

I was thinking the same -- wish we could see the reverse of this second one, but for an assigned grade of 40 that front side is nothing short of fantastic.

mirabela
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 11:51AM

Hopefully I’m not hijacking this thread

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a nice original example. Beats the heck out of those dipped white examples looking for a home.

Well done.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file