Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help! Inherited HUGE coin collection. What now?

voicepianocoachvoicepianocoach Posts: 12 ✭✭✭
edited December 1, 2020 6:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Our grandpa just passed away and he started coin collecting as a kid and passed away at 95! We have an enormous collection and I’m taking them to a dealer tomorrow to possibly get cash as we have no interest in the actual collection. From what I’ve researched some seem valuable but there are so many (thousands!) that we don’t have the time to go through. I would like your opinions on 1) what to beware of with a buyer and 2) if I decide to list them, the best places to do so. eBay blocked me from doing so yesterday since they weren’t certified coins. Very confused by that as well.

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 11:37AM

Dealer or an full service auction house like Great Collections. If I were you I would call great collections and tell them what you have. Assuming it isn't a bunch of clad foreign and mint sets, I bet if you instructed them to maximize the return and cert what they needed to, they could come up with a plan and timeline for you. They offer advances if the collections warrant it. Ian knows coin/collection liquidation. A few can do it as well, but not many better when comparing consignment returns unless you are working with an established dealer with a better rate at HA. Even then you have a lot of mouths to feed going that route and anything short of great coins get crammed in a lesser auctions at HA.com that will bear lesser results. Ebay might do similar for you but that is a lot of work

Most routes with similar results require existing connections & business history to maximize. You can cold call Great Collections and still get VIP service

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Post some pictures. Also contact either Great Collections or David Lawrence Rare Coins

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Don't be in a rush if you want to maximize your return. I wouldn't just go to the first local dealer that pops up on Google, especially without any references.

2) It's possible/likely that some of the more valuable coins will only bring you what they're worth if you get them slabbed. We'd need more info on what you actually have to advise you on that.

3) If you do decide to retail the more valuable coins yourself, it'd probably be worth sending them to Great Collections (or another auction house) as opposed to listing on eBay. The small difference in fees will be more than worth it since you have no experience selling coins. You won't have to take photos, worry about postal issues, or deal with returns. GC can also send your coins to CAC (don't ask! :) ) if warranted.

4) Coins that are common and well-circulated are probably best sold in bulk, unless you have unlimited time on your hands.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 11:41AM

You can call HA or GC and they will come to you to evaluate your collection if it is that large. They can also get it slabbed and then auctioned off. They send me a letter every other month or so that details what I just typed above

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get more than one dealer's offer to start with. If you're looking for just a quick cash transaction you'll leave money on the table. Buying a Red Book of US Coins is a cheap way to learn what you inherited and approximate retail value of the coins. You won't get retail from anyone so don't have that expectation.

Since there are so many, find coins that are encapsulated in plastic with the name of a major grading company like PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG and describe them here or, better yet, post pictures.

• Options

I will post some pictures here. They’re coins of all sorts, some mints collections and most loose arranged by years.

Ebay said that not allowing me to list was due to their new managed payments and they don’t allow selling of coins unless you’re an established coin seller. This is a very new thing. I have been an eBay seller for 20 years so I’m very familiar with their system and it was very specific about what I couldn’t list. Stay tuned for pics

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

If you don't have the time to be bothered it would be best to just to just dump them in a Red Kettle (Salvation Army), cash them out at the bank, put them in a coin star machine. Oh yeah, sorry the old guy died.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haste makes waste!

Many dealers will see someone coming in with a large inherited collection and no idea what they have and see fast money for themselves. Some are good and will help you get a fair price. Some are worse and will ask to be left alone with the collection, then swipe a couple good ones and return the rest to you with a "not for me" response. If you give an approximate location of where you are, you'll get recommendations for who can help you. With a very large collection, expect to have to pay an appraisal fee, which may be waived if they buy a big chunk of what you have.

Start by posting a picture of the entire collection as you see it. From that picture, people here will help you sort it out into assorted categories and ask for more pictures.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have noted above, fast = less money for you. Also, we have no idea if you have common date coins with little value or higher dollar value items. Old coins are not necessarily valuable for example. I would not get your hopes up for a windfall until you know what you got.

Does the collection include gold coins? If yes, start with those in terms of pictures and if you can, throw together an inventory sheet in Excel. This will help you keep track of your sales, realistic values, etc.

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:

@selling3 said:
    If you don't have the time to be bothered it would be best to just to just dump them in a Red Kettle (Salvation Army), cash them out at the bank, put them in a coin star machine. Oh yeah, sorry the old guy died.

This is a troll. DO NOT DO THIS.

I think the op is a troll

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more here for contacting Great Collections.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun. Share your tales.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 12:46PM

If you aren't able to value them yourself and don't know someone you can trust to do it I would suggest you posting your general location (city & state) and asking for help from someone in the area to come and look at the collection. When you get some names you could ask for reference on this Forum. Pick a member who other long term members know and find trustworthy and you will be fine.

Well after seeing the photos I agree mostly common junk silver and low value coins and modern sets and some just face value.

I do see (1) 1972-P Eisenhower that should be checked for which type it is. Even in low grade a Ty 2 should bring you $40-$50. All the silver should be checked for better dates and varieties.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 12:33PM

Looks mostly like common stuff, a lot of it wouldn't net you much over face (or melt) on eBay after you account for fees and shipping. Doesn't mean there's not something better in the group but I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    After looking at your pictures, I would suggest getting offers from two or three dealers and taking the highest one. Any time you spend on this collection will not yield you any added revenue worth the time invested. You have a lot of face value stuff, bullion stuff and widgets.

No auction house will have any interest in that material, so forget Great Collections, Heritage or Stacks'.

I see nothing worth certifying.

That is an accumulation of low end material that your grandfather had fun with. Most of the value is likely to be in the bullion.

Agreed.

Non-silver coins (clad) spending money as it's face value.

Silver coins (1964 and before) is worth about $15 to $18 per $1 of silver coins.

Basically that's it, besides the odd older coin (I saw a worn bust half, maybe worth about $30).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like run of the mill collection and likely just worth the silver value for most pieces pictured unless there are some better dates mixed in there. Find a reputable dealer and go from there. You will likely be sent home with some of it with the advice of "just spend it" - Do that. It's fun to spend Ike dollars and older coinage just to get it back into circulation.
    Pick a few keeper pieces to remember your grandpa by and Happy Holidays.

• Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

There is a booklet published by the American Numismatic Association that may be of help:https://www.amazon.com/Managing-Settling-Numismatic-Estate-Collection/dp/0896370321/

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

pick out a least one coin and keep it in memory of your grandpa
    if you have children keep one for them too
    your collection, your choice but doing this may keep grandpa's spirit alive
    Let us know what you do
    Best of luck!

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just remember pre-1965 is 90% silver, halves from 1965-1970 are 40% silver. S-mint Ikes are 40% silver if there are any mixed in with the rest.
    Go ahead and spend the state quarters.
    I think the old littleton envelope stuff might have a following(not me so not real sure).
    If that 1899 Morgan is a philly coin then it is a better date and worth more than bullion.
    You can also spend that beat up red seal $2, it will probably make someone's day.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try to get close to spot for the silver. I don't know the exact pricing (others here would know), but I'm guessing $20-$25 each for the pre 1935 silver dollars. As someone above wrote, 1965 and later pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters are spending money. Half dollars from 1965-1969 have a 40% silver content, so they may be worth $3 - $3.50 each. Some Ike dollars from the early 70s may be worth between $2-$4 (others here would know better than I). Dimes and quarters 1964 and earlier are worth the their metallic silver value.

The only penny post 1930 really worth keeping would be the 1931 S. A few others may be worth a few dollars, max. Wheat back cents from the 40s and 50s may be worth 2 cents each, if you can find a buyer.

The early Lincoln cents worth keeping are the 09S, 09S VDB, the S and D mint marked coins from 1910 through 1915, the 1922, and 1924 D.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@voicepianocoach said:

Also, the person to whom I went is a trusted jeweler and we have been using him for 20 years. He is very fair and knowledgeable. He will be sorting them in front of me so no swiping.

I wouldn't take this stuff to a jeweler. The don't usually deal with coins so their offers will be lower than a dealer or a coin shop. From the pictures, there isn't really any thing much in high value, mostly junk silver, so I would recommend taking it to a local coin shop or a coin show if there is one near you. You can also list them on the BST here to sell too.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Just remember pre-1965 is 90% silver, halves from 1965-1970 are 40% silver. S-mint Ikes are 40% silver if there are any mixed in with the rest.
    Go ahead and spend the state quarters.
    I think the old littleton envelope stuff might have a following(not me so not real sure).
    If that 1899 Morgan is a philly coin then it is a better date and worth more than bullion.
    You can also spend that beat up red seal $2, it will probably make someone's day.

That $2 red seal is a 1928 series, so it is better than spending money.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, a lot of what is there will be just face value. The silver coins, including sets that contain silver coins, should be put into a separate lot and sold for their current silver value (they are extremely liquid). The modern mint and proof set coins that do not contain any silver coins should be put into another lot. They might bring a bit over face value.

If you don't know which coins contain silver buy a copy of the "Guide Book of United States Coins" (the Red Book) or the "Handbook of United States Coins" (the Blue Book) and look up the silver content in them. Those books are available at just about any bookstore and are not expensive. These books will also guide you in the value of any older coins you find in the lot.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly it's not worth much. So any auction house is off the table.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 1:30PM

Agree with the above posts.

The job will be simpler and the opportunity to get ripped off much lower.

Proof/mint sets might be better on ebay if you can get around that managed payments mess.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@voicepianocoach.... Welcome aboard. Please look carefully at advice above... The advice given AFTER you posted the pictures. Much of what you have is not of great value, however, there is family sentiment. Other coins look as if there is some value.... an experienced dealer can be of great value here. Not sure if your jeweler friend is a numismatist of experience. Best of luck and let us know how things transpire. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy must of loved his Velveeta cheese and to have lived to be 95! This just blows my mind! I won't touch the stuff knowing it's full of plastifiers to make it soft. Anyone here thinking Velveeta cheese might not be so bad after-all?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like local dealer type stuff, but get more than one opinion/price

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

In addition to the pre-64 dimes, quarters, and halves, there is also silver in some nickels minted during WW2, they are easy to identify, because they have a big P,D, or S over the dome in Monticello.

I liked the picture of the currency, because I see a North African Silver Certificate sitting on top. This was made during WW2, and was used in North Africa. The yellow seal is the key identifier. They wanted special identifiable so if things went the wrong way and the bad guys seized the money, the US could declare them worthless.

Another thing to look for in your currency is a star in the serial number. Some of those can be worth more.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@habaraca said:
    """"""""eBay blocked me from doing so yesterday since they weren’t certified coins.""""""

Yeah that sounds real likely

Something seems FISHY here

probably tried to list lot under us coins for over $2500

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    As others have said, a lot of what is there will be just face value.

you don't know that.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I should clarify that the local
    person to whom I’m taking it specializes in coins and collectibles as well.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the issue of Velveeta - I don't think I've ever purchased any, but I've used a box or two to store coins in for a long time. Sturdy boxes with tight fitting lids. Grandpa knew what's up.
    Good luck liquidating the collection.

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing the pictures, it turns out to be exactly what I expected. Most collectors do not have anything of special value. They collected for the fun of it; not to create a museum quality collection.

Share your general location here to get a recommendation to a dealer or go to the ANA site: money.org where you will find a list of dealer members by state. Make an appointment to take the collection in. A good dealer will be able to go through the whole thing and make you an offer in an hour or less. This will not squeeze out every dollar that can be had, but it will save many hours of your time and prevent exposure to online scammers.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options

The silver certificate with the yellow seal is a WWII North African issue. In the condition shown, the one I see is probably a $20 note. These were also made in $5 and $10 denominations. They were issued to soldiers in WWII that were in North Africa. In case the Germans took over North Africa, they could be demonetized. Did your grandfather serve in WWII there? If so, this would be a cool memento of his service to keep.

Thanks so much for all the info. He did serve in WWII but in Germany. Maybe he traded for something to get these.

Also, you mentioned a closer picture of the dark coin. If it’s the one I’m thinking it’s almost completely smooth and I can’t make anything out other than general outlines.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file