Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help! Inherited HUGE coin collection. What now?

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

before you sell anything....ADD up the Face Value of all the US coins so you will then know the minimum price you'd expect to be offered. This goes without saying for many of us but for those that don't think about it, it could hurt your sale and bottom line
    let us know what you come up in $$$

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 2:28PM

you know... we are like a family here ... we bicker... don't be turned off..

now something to draw more ire towards me ...

I wouldn't mind if you posted more photos. if people don't mind here, just post them on this one thread.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

He collected what he liked and he must have enjoyed it, so I would say it was a successful hobby.

Thanks mainly to the silver there is some kind of windfall for the heirs.

• Options

what is on the other side of this coins and the others with the same design ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good project for a school aged kid, are there any in the family? Buy a redbook. Quite a few 40% silver halves with some 90% Morgan/Peace and a SAE. Rolls of circulated statehood quarters are mostly cash to spend.

go to www.coininflation.com to see base silver value

I did not see 1000's of coins in your pictures or any gold.

From what I see, many dealers will not offer more than face for the pile.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    you know... we are like a family here ... we bicker... don't be turned off..

now something to draw more ire towards me ...

I wouldn't mind if you posted more photos. if people don't mind here, just post them on this one thread.

MsMorrisine has provided an excellent write up summary.

Group like with like in future photos, rolls of similar coins, and groups of similar singles.

This is a very typical collection from circulation and modest souvenir purchases, most of the value above face will be in the silver.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    indian cents are more than face value. if you sold them on your own you might approach 1 dollar each for "common dates."

You'll get that much on eBay for common dates in the grade typically found in a collection like this. But the fees and postage for a $1 sale will be at least $1.13.

Just sayin'.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    indian cents are more than face value. if you sold them on your own you might approach 1 dollar each for "common dates."

You'll get that much on eBay for common dates in the grade typically found in a collection like this. But the fees and postage for a $1 sale will be at least $1.13.

Just sayin'.

but it's still retail pricing. a dealer is going to buy under that number as mentioned.

• Options

@selling3 said:
    If you don't have the time to be bothered it would be best to just to just dump them in a Red Kettle (Salvation Army), cash them out at the bank, put them in a coin star machine. Oh yeah, sorry the old guy died.

@CalifornianKing said:

This is a troll. DO NOT DO THIS.

DO NOT DO THIS you have a lot of value beyond even their worth as a "dollar" or "cent"

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

And as most are also alluding to and saying different ways, there is likely more value to be wrung out of this bulk, and depending on what time and effort are "worth" to you and your family, may or may not make sense to pursue yourselves. Also, as many have said, no one can pay what your sentimental value is worth you the family. Think twice about selling grandpa's war memories for a few dollars.. some kids in the family may want to keep some interesting coins and bils to pass down to theirs.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@291fifth said:
    As others have said, a lot of what is there will be just face value.

you don't know that.

Look at the photos.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2020 3:11PM

this is one troy ounce (31.1 grams) of 99.9% Silver. It is worth much more than a simple dollar. right now you might get silver value of $24 plus a couple of bucks above that. older dates can bring a bit more even.

It's called an American Silver Eagle

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Not OP but that looks like a capped bust half.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 3:05PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ms70 said:
    One more here for contacting Great Collections.

REally? Did you look at the pictures?

Actually no. My browser was open and I guess got distracted by this darn work thing..... I must have unknowingly responded after the pics were posted without refreshing the window. Maybe you'll notice the one minute difference between the posts. Not that I owe anyone an explanation.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2020 3:54PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@MasonG said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Just sayin'.

but it's still retail pricing. a dealer is going to buy under that number as mentioned.

Exactly my point- a dealer will buy for less than retail. voicepianocoach is unlikely to be able to approach 1 dollar for common dates.

edited to add...

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, MsMorrisine- it's just an attempt to be realistic with values here. A local coin shop is only going to be able to sell so many common date indians. It's quite possible for them to buy more than that and end up wholesaling the extras out to another seller (who will be wanting to earn something for his trouble, too). There are only so many slices you can take out of a dollar before there's nothing left. If you tell a non-collector that his coin is worth near a dollar and he's offered 30 cents for it, that's how a buyer who's making an honest offer gets branded as a cheat. And that doesn't help anybody.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@voicepianocoach looks similar to what I inherited from my grandparents. I sold all the junk silver rolls, Ike's and similar and kept all the Morgans, Peace dollars, '64 halves, Walker rolls, Franklin rolls and all their Whitman albums and of course the gold. I felt like that was enough.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your decision. As mentioned many times here ... have as much knowledge as practical as you move forward with what you wish to keep to honor his legacy and what you wish to sell. Take your time and who knows ... you may even decide to collect coins afterwords! :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do the lincoln cents that say new on them look like out of the roll??

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is quite an eclectic collection. As stated AFTER you posted pictures, no auction house will have any interest.

I suspect your local guy will be fair; there's little room for cheating because the value is not too high. Probably a few hundred dollars total.

Thanks for posting!

Vplite99
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭

As others have said, most of the value you receive will likely come from the coins with silver content. Those are either 99.9% silver (like the American Silver Eagles), 90% silver (like the Peace dollars and Franklin halves) or 40% silver (like the 1965-1970 Kennedy halves).

My suggestion would be to visit the local coin club and ask for a suggestion on who might help value your coins. While my experience is limited to my local club, our members tend to be the type who would be willing to help a novice learn the true value of their coins. Meaning, they value the reputation of those associated in the hobby, and tend to want to help vs. take advantage of someone asking for their knowledge and guidance.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 4:41PM

I would like to suggest taking some more clear pictures and sell them in bulk lots at our bst to save on shipping and fee.

An auction wouldn't be an bad idea since majority of our members are dealers or collectors. If there is anything valuable in there, we will know.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Looks like the walking liberty next to the capped bust is a 1916 or 1917 obverse mintmark they carry a premium over melt; more for a 1916 than 1917.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s an interesting and fun collection. I love seeing all the different containers and how the coins were grouped together. There’s always the chance for something good to be in the mix, esp if it was assembled prior to those coins being recognized as special.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not neglect searching for errors,varieties, and any toned coins in those loose coins/rolls. Might be some double dates etc. Could add some extra value to the group.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Btw has anyone notice a trend of common coins whenever an inherited collection contains Littleton? :#

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ms70 said:

Actually no. My browser was open and I guess got distracted by this darn work thing..... I must have unknowingly responded after the pics were posted without refreshing the window. Maybe you'll notice the one minute difference between the posts. Not that I owe anyone an explanation.

I really wasn't asking for an explanation so much as a correction (if you felt the need) for the OP.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 7:46PM

90% of the rolled coins look mighty interesting! We don't know if those Kennedys are BU or what? Those wheaties also, who knows WHAT is in those? You guys know me how I would love her collection. Sure, mostly everything but the Statehood quarter's. My opinion. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@davewesen said:
    A good project for a school aged kid, are there any in the family? Buy a redbook. Quite a few 40% silver halves with some 90% Morgan/Peace and a SAE. Rolls of circulated statehood quarters are mostly cash to spend.

go to www.coininflation.com to see base silver value

I did not see 1000's of coins in your pictures or any gold.

From what I see, many dealers will not offer more than face for the pile.

I don't know any legitimate dealer who would offer face for silver???? Or are you referring specifically to the pile of clad?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Do not neglect searching for errors,varieties, and any toned coins in those loose coins/rolls. Might be some double dates etc. Could add some extra value to the group.

For someone with no coin experience, this would be an exhausting search with little chance of success that would take more time than it is worth.

IMHO

Well, what do you know? I was just getting ready to reply to the same comment but you beat me to it. I'm going to post my reply anyway:

For someone with no coin collecting experience, this would be a huge, time-consuming task. And the likelihood of finding anything of significant value is vanishingly small.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

For someone with no coin experience, this would be an exhausting search with little chance of success that would take more time than it is worth.

IMHO

One never knows till one tries.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

IMHO

Well, what do you know? I was just getting ready to reply to the same comment but you beat me to it. I'm going to post my reply anyway:

For someone with no coin collecting experience, this would be a huge, time-consuming task. And the likelihood of finding anything of significant value is vanishingly small.

Great minds...[are on a different forum]
    :)

• Options

What a disaster all around.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like they were all plucked from circulation throughout his life, which makes the hoard a little more interesting in my opinion.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking this whole post is a fishing expedition seeking buyers. He's been active as of 4 something but not responding to posts here.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

The statehood quarters and the Ike dollars are face value just spend them, well maybe worth 2 bucks a piece, if you can find a dealer who wants them. Take a close look at the 72 Ikes, Variety 2 in 65 can bring some good money $1300 or so, AU $80 + or -. Ikes in EF/AU condition are face value coins. Everything has already been said. no reason to repeat it. Best of luck whatever you decide to do, you could also get a Redbook and research them all yourself, jmo.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    I'm thinking this whole post is a fishing expedition seeking buyers. He's been active as of 4 something but not responding to posts here.

Heaven forbid someone have a life... ;)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@saabkid said:
    What a disaster all around.

I'm not sure I would say this. It is "found money". You could find them interesting. You might find them sentimentally appealing. Or it's just cash you didn't have a week ago.

I would gladly accept similar disasters on a daily basis.

• Options

• Options

@voicepianocoach said:

@AlanSki said:

Well that’s quite the assumption seeing that I have an entire family and job that prevents me from being online during certain hours. And also, I am a SHE. I am not phishing for a buyer via this forum. I truly needed direction and have gotten plenty of helpful information from kind posters.

don't let the doubters get to you or get you down.

we've been mostly helpful.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

IMHO

You are thinking too much like someone who knows something about coins. It would take hours of study to even begin to recognize RPMs, DD etc. You would have to look up every coin date for a while as you don't even know about 55 DDO or 69 DD. You don't know that 1916-D is a key date. You wouldn't even know where to find the VDB on a coin. Every PMD looks like an error.

And you have to assume that Grandpa knew as little about coins as Junior does or he wouldn't have put his 55 doubled die in a roll of common date circ wheaties.

As a "coin guy", you would find the hundreds of hours fun and relaxing. For someone who knows nothing about coins and maybe doesn't care about coins, it would be more frustrating than anything.

Perhaps he could be put in touch locally with someone who could guide him to a proper expert on errors. Maybe someone here on the forum has some leads he may pursue in this regard. Would like to see this person maximize his potential profit. He will have to determine how much his time is worth.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ms70 said:

I'd say more like get ready to be disappointed if he thinks that he might be sitting on a gold mine.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

IMHO

You are thinking too much like someone who knows something about coins. It would take hours of study to even begin to recognize RPMs, DD etc. You would have to look up every coin date for a while as you don't even know about 55 DDO or 69 DD. You don't know that 1916-D is a key date. You wouldn't even know where to find the VDB on a coin. Every PMD looks like an error.

And you have to assume that Grandpa knew as little about coins as Junior does or he wouldn't have put his 55 doubled die in a roll of common date circ wheaties.

As a "coin guy", you would find the hundreds of hours fun and relaxing. For someone who knows nothing about coins and maybe doesn't care about coins, it would be more frustrating than anything.

Perhaps he could be put in touch locally with someone who could guide him to a proper expert on errors. Maybe someone here on the forum has some leads he may pursue in this regard. Would like to see this person maximize his potential profit. He will have to determine how much his time is worth.

I agree. She has to decide what her time is worth. Sometimes people develop some interest. But it does take a lot of time to get up to speed on a general hoard like that. It's not just one series you need to learn about.

• Options

I’m north of Indianapolis, Indiana if anyone has a local coin enthusiast that would like to help.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall a local club member who worked in a con shop. His boss would buy all sorts of stuff like that and he'd have to go through it. He thought it was filthy, despicable and disgusting some of the stuff that came through.

theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file