Home U.S. Coin Forum

President John F. Kennedy Assasinated - November 22, 1963 - Post a Kennedy Coin

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭✭

JFK was assasinated 57 years ago today.

I remember I was in school, when they announced over the speaker in the classroom: "The president has been shot". Shortly thereafter, we were released from school early, and sent home.

Where were you that day?

I remember getting ready to go to church the Sunday after that, watching TV, and seeing Lee Harvey Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby.

Please post a Kennedy coin in memory of this great president.

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 22,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Omg that was a terrible day :'(

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR70DCAM - I was in 8th grade, and they announced it over the P.A. system. I remember watching on TV about a week later when Jack Ruby shot Oswald.

https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/42396/81439252/s-l1600[1].jpg

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the most Heartbreaking image I have ever had in my head, that of Jackie crawling out on the trunk of the Limo, Definitely a dark day in American History

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Not a coin but a US Mint medal.

A President John F. Kennedy With Appreciation Medal. Designed by Frank Gasparro and struck by the US Mint while JFK was still alive as POTUS. This bronze medal has a mintage of 300. True-to-life Presidential Numismatic Artifacts of President John F. Kennedy.

A rare presentation set awarded to a Department of State employee while working at the Dublin, Ireland Embassy in June 1963. Note the Seal of the POTUS is affixed to the presentation box.

A provenance letter

**The original recipient's obituary. **

The Mary Gallagher specimen (former personal secretary to Mrs. Kennedy from 1957 to 1964.

The auction description.

The hallmarks of Frank Gasparro. Note the placement of his FG initials on the reverse (similar location as on the Kennedy half-dollar.

The Seven Kennedys. The MS 63 medal is from the Robert L. White Collection.
    https://guernseys.com/Guernseys%20New/jfkauction.html

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

A 1964-P Kennedy half dollar gifted on its First Day of Issue (March 24, 1964) by President Lyndon B. Johnson to Congressman Robert G. Stephens.

A great Presidential Numismatic Artifact!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll throw a variety in the the thread;

1971-D 50C DDO FS-101

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_

aka...Dr. Defecto

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty,...

PCGS DANSCO 7070 Modified Set
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/142105

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinHoarder like you I was in school. A freshman in HS. We didn't have an intercom so these 2 Senior boys were sent to each room to relay the news. School was let out early and everyone was sent home. I too remember seeing Oswald get shot on live TV.

• rickoricko Posts: 77,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

All these Kennedy halves and not a single Accented Hair example.... I must dig out one of mine... I will post one later. Cheers, RickO

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG