Home U.S. Coin Forum

President John F. Kennedy Assasinated - November 22, 1963 - Post a Kennedy Coin

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

JFK was assasinated 57 years ago today.

I remember I was in school, when they announced over the speaker in the classroom: "The president has been shot". Shortly thereafter, we were released from school early, and sent home.

Where were you that day?

I remember getting ready to go to church the Sunday after that, watching TV, and seeing Lee Harvey Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby.

Please post a Kennedy coin in memory of this great president.


«1

Comments

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Omg that was a terrible day :'(

  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is the most Heartbreaking image I have ever had in my head, that of Jackie crawling out on the trunk of the Limo, Definitely a dark day in American History

    Steve

    Promote the Hobby
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭✭








    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll throw a variety in the the thread;

    1971-D 50C DDO FS-101

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

    CoinHoarder like you I was in school. A freshman in HS. We didn't have an intercom so these 2 Senior boys were sent to each room to relay the news. School was let out early and everyone was sent home. I too remember seeing Oswald get shot on live TV.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    All these Kennedy halves and not a single Accented Hair example.... I must dig out one of mine... I will post one later. Cheers, RickO

  • zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • I have a A President John F. Kennedy With Appreciation Medal that was given to my grandfather by JFK. I am thinking of selling it, let me know if you have any interest.

  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭✭✭


    Mr_Spud

  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like I'm a little late to this party ;)

    ."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My parents were still considering creating me when we lost him... I was born 3 years later.

    I just got this one back from our host :smiley:

    Had this one for a while now, I love it!

    Coins are Neato!

    "If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

  • bp777bp777 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I was born 21 years later.

  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

    USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

    @Kurisu said:
    My parents were still considering creating me when we lost him... I was born 3 years later.

    I just got this one back from our host :smiley:

    I have 1 of those. B) Looks like what I had too, copper spotting - on the top of the "1" in "14". (Mine was in his hair.)
    Did they put a Restoration recommendation sticker on yours?
    I sent mine back in and it got cleaned up, and bumped to a 70.

  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mattlewisccit said:
    I have a A President John F. Kennedy With Appreciation Medal that was given to my grandfather by JFK. I am thinking of selling it, let me know if you have any interest.

    You might get more response on the buy, sell, trade forum. Link on the right or below. Include pictures, descriptions and any information..

    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/buy-sell-trade-u-s-coins

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hey a place I can use my almost worthless gold.

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1966 50c NGC AU50

  • basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

    @basetsb_coins on Instagram

  • FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Only got one- 69 CAM

  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1972d "NO FG"

    Found in CRHunting

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Here’s a close to top pop. For us anyway 😉🙀🦫

    DCAM is tough 😁

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stawick said:

    @Kurisu said:
    My parents were still considering creating me when we lost him... I was born 3 years later.

    I just got this one back from our host :smiley:

    I have 1 of those. B) Looks like what I had too, copper spotting - on the top of the "1" in "14". (Mine was in his hair.)
    Did they put a Restoration recommendation sticker on yours?
    I sent mine back in and it got cleaned up, and bumped to a 70.

    Thanks for the tip! I noticed that spot and thought it was an artifact in the image file itself.
    I don't know if they gave me a restoration recommendation...because I haven't even opened the box yet lol.
    I wanted to make sure I filmed the opening of it...

    Coins are Neato!

    "If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Never was much of a fan of the Kennedy clan, but will post a couple in collectible plastic.


    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

    POP 9/0

    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 8:18AM

    @Kurisu said:

    @stawick said:

    @Kurisu said:
    My parents were still considering creating me when we lost him... I was born 3 years later.

    I just got this one back from our host :smiley:

    I have 1 of those. B) Looks like what I had too, copper spotting - on the top of the "1" in "14". (Mine was in his hair.)
    Did they put a Restoration recommendation sticker on yours?
    I sent mine back in and it got cleaned up, and bumped to a 70.

    Thanks for the tip! I noticed that spot and thought it was an artifact in the image file itself.
    I don't know if they gave me a restoration recommendation...because I haven't even opened the box yet lol.
    I wanted to make sure I filmed the opening of it...

    FYI -
    Restoration service is NOT cheap. Around $40-ish + ~3% of the resulting grade price guide value. It was worth it to me when it bumped, even tho I just sent it in to clean it up, really.

  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 9:48AM

    A true American tragedy.
    Pictures etched in our minds forever!
    Just horrific.
    This is the time when America stopped allowing our Presidents to cruise in convertibles. I wonder why?
    The Kennedy half dollar intrigues me dearly. The mint presents the coin in various products. Not to mention all the varieties the coin produces. Love it! Here are a couple of examples in my Kennedy collection.







    <3

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 8:18PM

    Some of my JFK assassination ephemera, all of which belonged to a banker in Dallas who was probably also a big donor to the Democratic party:

    -Invitation to the Dallas Trade Mart luncheon and a seating assignment. Kennedy was headed there when he was assassinated.
    -Badge for the Dallas Love Field reception
    -Telegram inviting Mr. & Mrs Gray to a special reception for JFK in Austin later that day.
    -2 tickets to the Texas Welcome Dinner on the evening of 11/22/63.

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 10:18AM

    What a day that was.....I was sitting in class when the school secretary came to the door and told us that the president had been shot. The teacher asked that we all bow our heads and say a silent prayer for him......Later, the secretary came back and said that the president had died.......our teacher and a few of the girls immediately began crying.....The beginning of The Four Dark Days. I wonder if a teacher is allowed to ask the students to pray in school nowadays?....... Times sure have changed....

  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PR-66 CAM

    Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1000
    Kennedys.
    Well, I'm hoping not ALL are
    Kennedys.
    :D

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hydrant said:

    I wonder if a teacher is allowed to ask the students to pray in school nowadays?

    Don't want to derail this, but there was a recent Supreme Court ruling that dealt with this topic (a high school football coach who prayed on the field). Some of the nuances of the decision are interesting.

    But as it relates to this thread, here is my contribution:
    PR68

    Nothing is as expensive as free money.

  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a beautiful Kennedy!

  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hydrant said:
    What a day that was.....I was sitting in class when the school secretary came to the door and told us that the president had been shot. The teacher asked that we all bow our heads and say a silent prayer for him......Later, the secretary came back and said that the president had died.......our teacher and a few of the girls immediately began crying.....The beginning of The Four Dark Days. I wonder if a teacher is allowed to ask the students to pray in school nowadays?....... Times sure have changed....

    Exactly!

    No doubt in my mind, I would venture to say, "ALL" of us that remembered that day, were in school (somewhere in the country) when we learned President Kennedy was shot. As a kid, something you will never forget. Not really understanding what had happened or the seriousness of it at the time , but watching the teachers (adults) reaction, is etched in my brain forever!

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 2:50PM

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    My aunt was a bank teller in 1968. She would bring coins home for me to look through but then took all of them back to the bank.....The bank received a shipment of Kennedy's just like the one you show. She brought a FULL BAG of them home to show me......I saved one of them....I still have it.......Exactly the same!...Small World!......AMAZING!

  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hydrant said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    My aunt was a bank teller in 1968. She would bring coins home for me to look through but then took all of them back to the bank.....The bank received a shipment of Kennedy's just like the one you show. She brought a FULL BAG of them home to show me......I saved one of them....I still have it.......Exactly the same!...Small World!......AMAZING!

    REALLY?? Darn!! A FULL BAG??? Jeezzzz!!!

    I guess one couldn't afford to keep a full bag back in 68!!

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OAKSTAR said:
    I guess one couldn't afford to keep a full bag back in 68!!

    To be fair, the majority of people couldn’t afford to keep one now, either.

    Nothing is as expensive as free money.

  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 3:58PM

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @Hydrant said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    My aunt was a bank teller in 1968. She would bring coins home for me to look through but then took all of them back to the bank.....The bank received a shipment of Kennedy's just like the one you show. She brought a FULL BAG of them home to show me......I saved one of them....I still have it.......Exactly the same!...Small World!......AMAZING!

    REALLY?? Darn!! A FULL BAG??? Jeezzzz!!!

    I guess one couldn't afford to keep a full bag back in 68!!

    Yes, she would bring full bags of coins home. Always on a Friday night......I was in Weekend Coin Heaven! Back then there were always Lots of Mercury dimes, a Barber dime or two, a Liberty nickle, Indian Head pennies, etc.........And not only could we not afford to keep the whole bag......EVERYTHING got returned on Monday morning.... but it was the best coin collecting learning experience that a boy could ever hope for! The time period was from around 1961 (?) and on....Actually, it started in 1959 with the " new" Memorial Cent.....I was facinated. Look!....There's A Little Man Sitting In That House!!......God, I'm getting old!....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file