Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lunch date with an old dealer friend...Guess who?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

You get one clue. I suggested a restaurant. He shot it down because “They won’t take cash, and I won’t eat in a restaurant that doesn’t take cash!”

OK, one more hint. It wasn’t @cnncoins .

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    njcoincrank?

Good guess! But no.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 3:36PM

Julian?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Ok, then. EVillageProwler?

• Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

never heard of a business not accepting cash as payment

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Ok, then. EVillageProwler?

I’d be surprised if EVP even knows what cash is!

Andy Lustig

• Options

@jrt103 said:

It's increasingly common in urban areas, and the pandemic may have accelerated the trend.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tropicana Field, where the Tampa Bay Rays baseball team plays, accepts no cash, it is credit cards only. The only cash that is accepted is Kevin Cash, the manager of the team.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Col. Jessup?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd Von Stupid?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iraj Sayah?

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Todd Von Stupid?

That is an obliquely astute guess -- especially since Andy didn't say that the guest was going to pay for part or all of the meal,

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it Brandon aka @Cajunpoorguy ?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wile e coyote or ricko? What I win?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred W.?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Iraj Sayah? King of Siam

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 7:50PM

I was going to guess Fred W. also, only because he even tips the garbage man with cash, or gold, or whatever he has lying around :p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

QDB ? :p

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Col Jessup?!?!

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

....or Bobby Hughes....

• Options

@CaptainBlunt said:
    Iraj Sayah? King of Siam

That might be fun, but I'm in no rush.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another point I can agree with the good Col. Jessup on.... If they don't take cash, I do not eat there.... I bet the waitress/waiter would take a cash tip.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

I was going to guess "Greg the Great."

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@kaz said:
    Col. Jessup?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

The cashless restaurant really set him off. I blame cabin fever. Normally, as we all know, he takes everything in stride. ;)

:*

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    You get one clue. I suggested a restaurant. He shot it down

Well, there goes my first guess!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@kaz said:
    Col. Jessup?

The cashless restaurant really set him off. I blame cabin fever. Normally, as we all know, he takes everything in stride. ;)

You are in the northeast, and Col Jessup (Rick Sears) also. How is he doing? He used to be ubiquitous at coin shows.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure would like to meet Rick one day.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of my favorite coin experts

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Another point I can agree with the good Col. Jessup on.... If they don't take cash, I do not eat there.... I bet the waitress/waiter would take a cash tip.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Cash is filthy stuff, I touch it, I immediately wash my hands - I was that way decades B4 covid.......... Credit cards are not too far behind in the germs they carry, but easier to sanitize, preferred........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Rick is fine. Probably lurking on this thread at this very moment. Despite his vow of silence, who knows, he might even drop by and say a word or two, sort of like Marcel Marceau in Silent Movie.

i like it. he reminds of a gust of wind; not seen but still felt and heard...

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 10:33AM

@MrEureka said:

@kaz said:
    Col. Jessup?

I miss him, @ColonelJessup
    You left your post, AWOL

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused, he used this icon/avatar, am I thinking of the same person?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@MrEureka said:
    Rick is fine. Probably lurking on this thread at this very moment. Despite his vow of silence, who knows, he might even drop by and say a word or two, sort of like Marcel Marceau in Silent Movie.

Or smelled 😂

I met Mr Sears at a FUN show in either 2007 or 2009 and he was dishing the insider doings at that time to another dealer with whom I was reviewing a Conder token. I remember the good colonel as being as animated then as his reputation on this board is now. I wish he’d come back here and unmute himself.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Tony Terranova? I think he'd refuse to pay if a restaurant didn't accept half cents.

Or colonials.> @Catbert said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@MrEureka said:

Or smelled 😂

I met Mr Sears at a FUN show in either 2007 or 2009 and he was dishing the insider doings at that time to another dealer with whom I was reviewing a Conder token. I remember the good colonel as being as animated then as his reputation on this board is now. I wish he’d come back here and unmute himself.

Sear.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's a good guy. He told me awhile ago he had some health issues and was retiring from coin dealing, and pretty much disappeared. Haven't heard from him since. Glad he's keeping in touch with Andy.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2020 6:17PM

@Elcontador said:
    He's a good guy. He told me awhile ago he had some health issues and was retiring from coin dealing, and pretty much disappeared. Haven't heard from him since. Glad he's keeping in touch with Andy.

The good Colonel still reads the forum, and leaves the occasional "like" or "LOL". It's nice to know he hasn't completely abandoned us. :)

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

Not to forget Marcel Marceau's famous last words......
    "I've decided to become a mime".... ;)

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Andy, was your lunch at a Sushi restaurant?

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@jrt103 said:

I think every place in Newark airport terminal doesn’t accept cash.....at least every restaurant in the United terminals.
    Also Teavana doesn’t accept cash at any of their locations.
    Crazy!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember the days when finer hotels would wash your cash for you??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file