Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade Poppage Thread (Through-Date Estimation)

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent a batch in for the express lotto thingy. Box arrived at PSA yesterday and today they have it uploaded as Arrived. Impressed so far with the process of Express.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

My group of 1981 T BB that went in PSA in March of 2021 went into Assembly yesterday. I assume (?!) they'll be shipped within a week or so. :#

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    My group of 1981 T BB that went in PSA in March of 2021 went into Assembly yesterday. I assume (?!) they'll be shipped within a week or so. :#

For me, it was 18 days (4/15-5/3) from assembly to grades being released (shipped one day later). Hopefully, your wait is shorter.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭

Assembly must be getting hammerd

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

@Geoff76 said:

@BBBrkrr said:

For me, it was 18 days (4/15-5/3) from assembly to grades being released (shipped one day later). Hopefully, your wait is shorter.

Good to know. I've been waiting so long and now all the Economy grades I'm getting have me depressed about how bad they're going to be for the wait I had to endure.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭

Is it clear how things are working now and what is coming next? I remember it being mentioned new $50 per card allocations could move as quick as 15 days. Then someone mentioned as long as 26 days. I remember seeing a lot of the get in on the allocation emails. Now I am not seeing that as much. And it appears that now its possible to put together a submission at $50 a card without an allocation. But there is a note that says 90 day turnaround. (Also saw that walk-through is a 10 day turnaround which amused me. Have to rename it unless its a 10 day walk. That would be tough for me) So I was reading this that they are now ready to receive as many $50 a card submissions as the world can throw at them. I suppose testing the waters on how this works. Assuming no tsunami at $50 a card. But maybe more than enough to keep everyone busy. For a while. With more coming in, as they say, wait times increase. Then I would assume the next step is to let this play out, continue to try to ramp up with new hires and getting the NJ facility set up, and when they get to the point where staff has free time and are chatting around the water cooler, tweak the price enough to increase submissions. But I would suppose again, only through allocations to control the inflow. Maybe $30. Or maybe $35. Or maybe $47.50. 😆 Thoughts?

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    Is it clear how things are working now and what is coming next? I remember it being mentioned new $50 per card allocations could move as quick as 15 days. Then someone mentioned as long as 26 days. I remember seeing a lot of the get in on the allocation emails. Now I am not seeing that as much. And it appears that now its possible to put together a submission at $50 a card without an allocation. But there is a note that says 90 day turnaround. (Also saw that walk-through is a 10 day turnaround which amused me. Have to rename it unless its a 10 day walk. That would be tough for me) So I was reading this that they are now ready to receive as many $50 a card submissions as the world can throw at them. I suppose testing the waters on how this works. Assuming no tsunami at $50 a card. But maybe more than enough to keep everyone busy. For a while. With more coming in, as they say, wait times increase. Then I would assume the next step is to let this play out, continue to try to ramp up with new hires and getting the NJ facility set up, and when they get to the point where staff has free time and are chatting around the water cooler, tweak the price enough to increase submissions. But I would suppose again, only through allocations to control the inflow. Maybe $30. Or maybe $35. Or maybe $47.50. 😆 Thoughts?

I'll be majorly disappointed if we don't see, at the bare minimum later this year, some value level allocation events for $25/card

• Options
    MarshallFaulk28MarshallFaulk28 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:

How do you put together a $50 submission without an allocation? They did just have another lottery yesterday, so I thought those were still needed.

I also think they need to get down to the $25 price point later this year. If they are to be finished the backlog by end of summer as they are expecting, then I think this would be reasonable.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭

Ramblings from my brain below- take with a grain of salt. Exhausted from traveling just got back from burying the old man

They've begun tackling the 500-750,000 card weeks time period. Even at 40k+ cards a day they are not getting done anytime soon. Right now they are almost done with ultra moderns- blasting through those the fastest since those are worth the most

Will be a year or more before the below "wishes of Nat " happens. They'd need to have NJ up and running properly, CA stabilized etc etc etc
    They also need to figure out the WHY behind a bunch of other problems.
    Like any business growth is painfully slow sometimes and extraordinarily busy others

@Jayman1982 = think that $25 RETAIL prediction through allocations is spot on for Ultra/Modern/TCG
    I do see vintage still getting price breaks

From the man himself in numerous statements-- see below. I've spoken with him, done business with him- the man follows through on his words

Oh, God yeah,” Turner said. “I want us to get back to $10 to $20 a card, honestly. We’re a collector company, it’s in our name. Our goal is to not cater to only the high-end market. There’s set collectors that want to send in a bunch of commons from 1981 Topps — that’s totally fine. We want to get back there. I have thousands of cards that I personally have, sets, random sets that you probably don’t care about or know of, but the common card is $10. I’m not going to spend $50 or $100 to get it graded. We’re not meeting the needs of every collector at the moment.”

• Options

Yeah, sorry for the confusion/misleading words. I went to go look at preparing a submission a few minutes ago and the cheapest option is $100. But I really think it gave me a $50 option a few days ago. I wasn't in a huge hurry to run with it though. I mean I probably would sub some at that amount but would probably kick myself later. Its fun to get graded cards back and wishful thinking/optimism can be dangerous in this area. I have a 20 card sub that was received 4/21 for the $50 per card allocation. Currently in Grading. Kind of want to see how I do with those to decide if it makes sense to do any more at that price.

• Options

I do think another year to get back to $25 would be way too long to not lose a substantial part of their business permanently. Its already been a year and a month or two. People only have so much patience. We're only going to be on this planet so long. People only have so much loyalty too if they feel the grading is becoming harsher and the wait is longer and they cant communicate with the company easily. To be honest, I dont think there is any excuse in this situation not to have staff available to respond to people. We have heard that its difficult to add a lot of staff to grade because it is a specialized skill. Okay. I don't know. Maybe. Feels true of most any business and they manage. But answering the phone or an email, having someone to explain this or that or respond to a question, I think that just speaks to a problem that was there way before the tsunami. Just being a company trying to get by with the least amount of staff possible. Letting the customer experience suffer while minimizing cost. There has already been an exodus when it comes to a certain type of card. You have a card that you feel you can sell for $500 or more, yeah, I think you stay with PSA. For the cards where you are looking to move it for $50 to $200 and soon after you submit it for grading, I think CGC CSG SGC will absorb a ton of that business. And some, including me, play the waiting game and think if I can sell it in a PSA holder I get more. But then its like there isn't an option now, who knows how long it will take for it to be available and then will the turnaround time be acceptable. It was criticized but the PWCC CSG CGC relationship I think successfully captures this type of smaller business, even skips steps of getting your cards back from a grader and then sending them off for auction. People who are building sets through the registry, going somewhere else does not work. Some will always hang on. Some will go across the street and come back. But I think a huge group of people will try the other graders on lower priced cards and say this works for me, I like this experience, I am not coming back for anything below this threshold. If the sales prices start to go up on the non-PSA cards, that could be a huge problem because then I think people really start to flee. I know its a private company but if it was still public and I was a shareholder, I would be pretty upset. I just see it as you have this total addressable market that exploded and PSA was in a position to claim such a large majority of it. But they are watching these other companies move in and just take food off their plate and part of it, I just dont think they ever get it back. Maybe they are fine with that and accept it. It would bother me.

• Options

I got an allocation last Tuesday and no problem. I tried Thursday and again this Tuesday and after waiting for my turn got a message that said 'You are no longer eligible for an allocation'. Did they change the message or did I somehow get removed from being able to get anymore? My account is still current, but I do have some still in process there.

Also, if they're getting a handle on things the Economy seems to be taking several days longer each month. I got an allocation on the first lottery and every grading submission since has taken 2 or 3 days longer than the previous month. Not sure what that means.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    I got an allocation last Tuesday and no problem. I tried Thursday and again this Tuesday and after waiting for my turn got a message that said 'You are no longer eligible for an allocation'. Did they change the message or did I somehow get removed from being able to get anymore? My account is still current, but I do have some still in process there.

Also, if they're getting a handle on things the Economy seems to be taking several days longer each month. I got an allocation on the first lottery and every grading submission since has taken 2 or 3 days longer than the previous month. Not sure what that means.

I believe you can only have one active allocation at a time. Not 100% on that though. Good luck!

• Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

If people would stop submitting at the ridiculous rate of $50 a card prices would instantly drop. I won't be submitting anything until it gets to $12 or less.

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options

@athleticsfan said:
    If people would stop submitting at the ridiculous rate of $50 a card prices would instantly drop. I won't be submitting anything until it gets to $12 or less.

It's not that simple when the market is still paying good money for those cards submitted at $50/card.

I feel for the set builders, but the current environment is dominated by flippers selling ultra modern cards, and until that cools, grading fees will remain high. What did sound hopeful was posted earlier, Nat's comment about bringing back set builders into the fold and offering lower prices for non ultra modern.

• Options
    beachbumcollectingbeachbumcollecting Posts: 461 ✭✭✭

as long as we keep seeing 2021 and 2022 cards of nobodies selling for $200-500 a pop prices will never decrease. It's a shame for the hobby (most don't call it a hobby anymore) and a shame for the long term imo

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

@bobbybakeriv mentioned you can only have one at a time, which is sorta correct. You can only have one IN YOUR QUEUE at a time. You can get one on Tuesday, upload cards to submit (but not mail it in), and get another one on Thursday. That way you can send them both together. But if the Tuesday allocation is still sitting unused in your queue, when you get to the front of the line it'll tell you you're ineligible for an allocation. Pretty good system, IMO.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

@scmavl said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@bobbybakeriv mentioned you can only have one at a time, which is sorta correct. You can only have one IN YOUR QUEUE at a time. You can get one on Tuesday, upload cards to submit (but not mail it in), and get another one on Thursday. That way you can send them both together. But if the Tuesday allocation is still sitting unused in your queue, when you get to the front of the line it'll tell you you're ineligible for an allocation. Pretty good system, IMO.

That makes total sense (thanks, bobbybakeriv too). I do have one from before that I haven't started yet, so I'll just wait to finish that one. Thanks.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2022 10:13AM

Another cautionary tale to share here about cards coming back damaged from PSA.

1955 Quaker Oats are tough to find in ex or better, especially cards like #21 Lorne Chabot. In the PSA pop report there are 5 5's, 3 6's, and 2 7's of this card.

The corner on this Chabot has come back ripped and folded onto itself. You can see in the picture the corner has been damaged recently as the damaged corner is white and not aged with the card.

Cards are being damaged before and after grading, but something is seriously wrong with the encapsulation process when it mangles corners like this. I am building a 1955 Quaker registry set but with so many of my vintage cards coming back damaged by PSA I don't know anymore.

-Nathanael

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Well that really sucks. I am sorry that happened to your card.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

good grief, this nonsense has to stop -- I still have not seen any response from a PSA person stating they are aware of the issue (cards being damaged while at PSA) and will get it resolved as quickly as possible...some of these cards being damaged cannot be replaced...like the card above...only 10 have even been graded...

• Options

@Kepper19 said:
    good grief, this nonsense has to stop -- I still have not seen any response from a PSA person stating they are aware of the issue (cards being damaged while at PSA) and will get it resolved as quickly as possible...some of these cards being damaged cannot be replaced...like the card above...only 10 have even been graded...

What I find more disturbing is that after multiple cases opened with PSA CS I have been told that every moment the card is handled it is being filmed, so why is it that damage like this is STILL occurring thousands of times per week? (yes, it is, I am counting the case #'s between occurrences). Shouldn't they be addressing damage to irreplaceable collectibles and initiating changes in their handling protocols?

It is absolutely ridiculous that I have now accepted a certain level of damage per order as part of the "new normal". I sure hope everyone here is opening a QA case against any damaged cards, especially if PSA is upfront in telling us there is video proof of mishandling damage on file.

End of rant...

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Another example of PSA damaging the top right corner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dsxOpNHYvk
    FF to 4:50

They are ruining our collectibles as a matter of procedure now. HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE!!!

• Options
    MountainsOfSlabsMountainsOfSlabs Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited May 12, 2022 12:48AM

Value vintage (62 cards):
    Shipped: 2/18/21
    PSA Arrived: 2/22/21
    Research & ID: 4/5/21
    Grading: 10/25/21

Assembly: 5/11/22

I've been checking regularly, but this still seemed to come out of the blue! Most of these are 1955 Topps baseball commons for which I'm hoping for enough 7s and 8s to bring my PSA set up to 80% complete in the grades I want. The 1963 Fleer cards in this sub will hopefully help me decide whether I want to continue working on that or divest.

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

60's special sent to PSA in January 2021 just popped. Some hits and misses but at $9 a card can't complain too much.

1 1 56587579 VERY GOOD 3 1960 Fleer 3 Babe Ruth Card
    2 1 56587580 EXCELLENT 5 1961 Golden Press 3 Babe Ruth Card
    3 1 56587581 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1961 Golden Press 9 Joe DiMaggio Card
    4 1 56587582 EXCELLENT 5 1961 Golden Press 16 Lou Gehrig Card
    5 1 56587583 NEAR MINT 7 1961 Golden Press 25 Ty Cobb Card
    6 1 56587584 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 Fleer 75 Babe Ruth Card
    7 1 56587585 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 Fleer 152 Ted Williams Card
    8 1 56587586 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1963 Fleer 5 Willie Mays Card
    9 1 56587587 VERY GOOD 3 1963 Fleer 42 Sandy Koufax Card
    10 1 56587588 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1963 Fleer 43 Maury Wills N.L. MVP '62 Card
    11 1 56587589 GOOD 2 MC 1963 Fleer 45 Warren Spahn Card
    12 1 56587590 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1963 Fleer 56 Roberto Clemente Card
    13 1 56587591 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1968 Topps Game 2 Mickey Mantle Card
    14 1 56587592 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1968 Topps Game 4 Henry Aaron Card
    15 1 56587593 NEAR MINT 7 1968 Topps Game 6 Roberto Clemente Card
    16 1 56587594 NEAR MINT 7 1968 Topps Game 8 Willie Mays Card
    17 1 56587595 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1968 Topps Game 30 Pete Rose Card
    18 1 56587596 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 MC 1969 Topps Deckle Edge 27 Roberto Clemente Card
    19 1 56587597 VERY GOOD 3 MC 1969 Topps Deckle Edge 33 Willie Mays Card
    20 1 56587598 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1969 Topps 99 Twins Rookies Black Loop Above "Twins" Card

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭

@MountainsOfSlabs said:

Value vintage (62 cards):
    Shipped: 2/18/21
    PSA Arrived: 2/22/21
    Research & ID: 4/5/21
    Grading: 10/25/21

Assembly: 5/11/22

I've been checking regularly, but this still seemed to come out of the blue! Most of these are 1955 Topps baseball commons for which I'm hoping for enough 7s and 8s to bring my PSA set up to 80% complete in the grades I want. The 1963 Fleer cards in this sub will hopefully help me decide whether I want to continue working on that or divest.

Please post results when you get them. I always am curious about vintage grades. Best of luck too.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:
    Ask and ye shall receive, I guess. Thanks for the responses, gents.

Just moved into assembly tonight:

03/08/21 04/19/21 N/A See Details 27 Value Modern (1972- 2017)

After 11 days in assembly, QA1 today

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

@Bosox1976 said:

@Bosox1976 said:
    Ask and ye shall receive, I guess. Thanks for the responses, gents.

Assembly and QA stages are not quick right now

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the other TPG's experiencing a like amount of mishandling complaints,damage by submitters?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Mine have been in assembly for 12 days.

• Options

@mrburns443 said:
    60's special sent to PSA in January 2021 just popped. Some hits and misses but at $9 a card can't complain too much.

18 1 56587596 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 MC 1969 Topps Deckle Edge 27 Roberto Clemente Card
    20 1 56587598 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1969 Topps 99 Twins Rookies Black Loop Above "Twins" Card

Here’s the 60 Ruth and 63 Mays, anyone notice a problem. You’d figure after 16 months they can at least get the order correct.

• Options

Do they really film everyone at every step of the handling process? > @mrburns443 said:

@mrburns443 said:

Here’s the 60 Ruth and 63 Mays, anyone notice a problem. You’d figure after 16 months they can at least get the order correct.

😳

Good job, QA teams. How does nobody notice this before it gets shipped out to a customer?

• Options

@mrburns443 said:

@mrburns443 said:

I get it. I just got some 73 football back, and they have the wrong photo scans on two cards and one that's only the back of the card and not the front. I've been making requests for 2 weeks about it, finally got someone on the phone Thursday who needed to check with his supervisor and emailed Friday saying I have to go through the new Customer Complaint/Service tab on the website to resolve it. Plan on getting into that tomorrow.

• Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

If this is not the most embarrassing error of all time....

"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options

@ejguru said:

Don’t challenge them… the next thing you know, someone will post having a received a slab with no card inside. 😂

• Options

Just wanted to follow up and say Todd Tobias reached out to me on Twitter and put me in contact with someone who should be able to help rectify this quickly.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    Do they really film everyone at every step of the handling process? > @mrburns443 said:

@mrburns443 said:

😳

Good job, QA teams. How does nobody notice this before it gets shipped out to a customer?

almost embarrassing

• Options

2 weeks in QA and nobody sees that?

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Picky ..Picky...Picky

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ejguru said:

At least one of them.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭

@ejguru said:

This one was a $50,000 " mechanical error" difference I won't soon forget ( happened in 2017)
    I can see why the errors occurred. When processing 40,000 slabs a day- no way can everything be caught

• Options

@mrburns443 said:
    107 card Bulk modern arrived 2/24/21 and entered 4/15/21 just went into assembly.

1 month later still in assembly

• Options

Ugh. One month! Crazy.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:

@ejguru said:

This one was a $50,000 " mechanical error" difference I won't soon forget ( happened in 2017)
    I can see why the errors occurred. When processing 40,000 slabs a day- no way can everything be caught

keeper

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like they updated the cert number

• Options

@mrburns443 said:

@mrburns443 said:
    107 card Bulk modern arrived 2/24/21 and entered 4/15/21 just went into assembly.

1 month later still in assembly

Mine passed 2 weeks yesterday.

• Options

A bunch of orders still aging in Assembly and QA1/2. Got a message today that one card on the order closest to being finished was damaged suring sealing. In all my years that is a first. Thankfully, the card was not a major one and is a big reminder to fill out the declared value appropriately just to protect yourself in instances like this.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

@halosfan said:
    A bunch of orders still aging in Assembly and QA1/2. Got a message today that one card on the order closest to being finished was damaged suring sealing. In all my years that is a first. Thankfully, the card was not a major one and is a big reminder to fill out the declared value appropriately just to protect yourself in instances like this.

Shudder. My cards are not high value, but extremely difficult to replace. I am coming up on day 500, would hate to go that far only to find out my card is toast.

• Options

@halosfan said:

At least they did actually catch it and contacted you rather than just seal it up and send it to you like nothing happened.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2022 3:45PM

QA 2 today - was 3 business days in QA1

Mike
    Bosox1976