Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which One for Everyman 19th Century Type Set?

CPJCPJ Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2020 9:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So, here's the follow-up to my GTG post on the 1847-O Seated Liberty Half. I was a bit torn in keeping it and placing it in my type set. As mentioned, it's an AU-58+, so it would improve the registry rating a bit over the AU58 that is currently filling the slot.

I am going from more the technical side of things in my education to one that is subjective with this poll. I am interested to see what the group finds as the most critical elements in determining relative value between the two, and to see if the images capture the coins well enough to properly aid in the decision making process.

For this, I will go to larger images. First is the AU58+ and then the AU58 will follow. Both were imaged similarly using a combination of axial and diffused direct lighting. While the 58+ shows well from many angles, the 58 only does well from a few types of lighting.

Thanks all for your votes and opinions!

AU58+

AU58

Which One for Everyman 19th Century Type Set?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personal opinion - I like the obverse of the + and the reverse of the 58. Obverse carries the coin, usually, and if it’s one or the other, I’m going with the + from these pics, today.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a tarnish fan in general and the dark terminal tone of the obv for the 1847 is a negative in the eye appeal for me so while the 1847-O looks a little too bright white for the age I would go with it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

the first one for sure

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chose neither. The first has a weak strike - see the lower left reverse of the eagle and Liberty on the obverse. It also looks like it could have been cleaned. I don't like the toning of the second one even though a better strike.

I think you can find better examples for your set.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for either of the two in the OP

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted neither because, well, I just don't really like either coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to view the other coins in your collection in order to comment intelligently. Which coin better "goes with" the others?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1st one looks more like a low end 58 than a 58+. The 2nd one is more eye appealing.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like a few others, I don't love either coin, but if I were to keep one (even just as a placeholder), it would probably be the toned AU58. The AU58+ will likely fetch more funds for either an upgrade or some other coin of interest.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one do you like to look at best? Grade is secondary to that decision, in my opinion. While I like to have a plus on my holder like the next guy, I'll always choose eye appeal over technical grade. I'm not thrilled about either, but for me, the second one has more visual interest if choosing between the two.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Baley said:
    Would like to view the other coins in your collection in order to comment intelligently. Which coin better "goes with" the others?

That is an excellent question. I'm still fairly early in this set, but the AU58 matches the style I am likely heading toward. Some character that shows in the images as well as in hand. I have a few that I've imaged early. However, the most interesting ones I've held off on until I was better with the photography. I'm only now getting to the point where I am somewhat satisfied. Here are a few from the set that I imaged early.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Like a few others, I don't love either coin, but if I were to keep one (even just as a placeholder), it would probably be the toned AU58. The AU58+ will likely fetch more funds for either an upgrade or some other coin of interest.

Very interesting point. Thanks for the insight!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, now’s when you get to decide if you’re going for a set you like or a registry winner. To me, one is fun and the other a hollow victory.

Apart from that, I don’t really love either coin, but I like the 58 slightly more.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can do better!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 3:23PM

No. 1

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you share with us what your other type coins look like. Would love to see what kind of look your trying to get for the set. These two coins are complete opposite. Are you trying to do an all au58 set? If so I would keep the 1847 o.

Me personally I like toned coins over silver or blast white coins.
    I voted neither but I like the 58+ coin 100% better. The 1847 o is a WB-12 R5

The right field of the toned coin kills it for me. I don’t think it’s original either.
    1847 looks like a WB-1 R3

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 4:10PM

I don't like the toning on the 58....Simply as that.

Although modestly attractive, It's too dark for my taste.

I also like that the first coin is a branch mint.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number 1. Nice halves.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I voted neither because, well, I just don't really like either coin.

I didn’t either.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of aggressive chatter in both R and L obv fields on the first, and a lot of terminal toning concealing the same on the second. Therefore, I would not choose either.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should go with the one that fits the rest of your set. Toned or untoned, etc

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the 58+ simply because I do not like tarnish....and the 58 has an excess. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a tough call from those two, and if I could only have one in a type set, I might also vote neither (although both have merits and might work, depending on the match).

I know you are doing the back and forth on which one.

The other pictures I have seen of #1 from another thread made it appear to have more "life" than this picture, so that is also hard to factor.

Overall

Strike Door #2, hands down
    Luster Can't tell ... appears if #1 has more PL fields (or is dipped and stripped?), and #2 has better underlying luster
    Marks Similar, although #2 by a hair, I think
    Rarity Door #2, slightly
    Color Personal or Set preference. #1 doesn't not look completely original too me, although neither does #2, and it does look a little too close to terminal colors on the obverse

Also, this comment is worth revisiting, IMO

@BryceM said:
    Well, now’s when you get to decide if you’re going for a set you like or a registry winner. To me, one is fun and the other a hollow victory.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really dislike coin #1

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse fields of the 1847-O do
    Appear to have partially effaced Graffiti

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    That would be a tough call from those two, and if I could only have one in a type set, I might also vote neither (although both have merits and might work, depending on the match).

I know you are doing the back and forth on which one.

The other pictures I have seen of #1 from another thread made it appear to have more "life" than this picture, so that is also hard to factor.

Overall

Strike Door #2, hands down
    Luster Can't tell ... appears if #1 has more PL fields (or is dipped and stripped?), and #2 has better underlying luster
    Marks Similar, although #2 by a hair, I think
    Rarity Door #2, slightly
    Color Personal or Set preference. #1 doesn't not look completely original too me, although neither does #2, and it does look a little too close to terminal colors on the obverse

Also, this comment is worth revisiting, IMO

@BryceM said:

Yes, that's a very good point. I'm not shooting for a registry winner, that's for sure. I'm going for what I consider eye appeal, and the 58+ was interesting enough to gamble upon.

• Options

@Pickwickjr said:
    Can you share with us what your other type coins look like. Would love to see what kind of look your trying to get for the set. These two coins are complete opposite. Are you trying to do an all au58 set? If so I would keep the 1847 o.

Me personally I like toned coins over silver or blast white coins.
    I voted neither but I like the 58+ coin 100% better. The 1847 o is a WB-12 R5

The right field of the toned coin kills it for me. I don’t think it’s original either.
    1847 looks like a WB-1 R3

This one won't be a AU58 set. I am working on one much more slowly that is, but I think the 58 grade would cause me to pass on many interesting coins for this set.

• Options

Thanks all for the feedback. It's invaluable for me as I learn to understand the perspective that everyone has, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer it. The AU58 will be the keeper for the time being although it's the option with the least positive feedback. The reason for it is that it will fit in better with the rest of the set. I agree on the obverse with the toning being too heavy. However, the reverse does truly pop when lit. I'll keep my eye open for one that has similar appeal on both sides.

For the feedback, here's what we have as of now. There are the votes, and then there are the comments that I tallied as positive for a specific option. They do diverge slightly indicating those who felt strongly enough to comment have a slightly different opinion

Coin Votes +Comments
    58+ 22 8
    58 16 3
    Nil 16 6

Thanks again everyone!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I am wrong but I like the first one myself :)
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I know I am wrong but I like the first one myself :)
    boston

That's the great thing about the hobby. In terms of how someone perceives the look of a coin, there are many different opinions, and I don't think that differing ones are wrong. That variety is what makes it far more interesting than if everyone had the exact same taste.

Then again, if I like what most don't, that should make it cheaper to build my set.

• Options

And one final comment. One of the contributing factors for the AU58 was it came with a TrueView. From a Photographic standpoint, I was intrigued by the possibilities of shooting and seeing how my images compared. In hand however, I was surprised to see that the TrueView had a boosted saturation and color shifts to warm and magenta.

Here's the original TrueView

And here are a few tweaks to it to better mirror the in hand look. The right obverse field is a true metallic with only the lightest of color. However, correcting to this the skews the rest of the image.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted neither. I think that the first is over graded. It’s an AU-55 at best. I don’t care for pattern of the toning on the second. The white right field on the obverse and the white spots on the reverse do not appeal to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file