Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will you ever say "Goodbye" to us, thinking we really need to know??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you've been around for awhile you probably knew this was coming.

Will you ever say "Goodbye" to us, thinking we really need to know??

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I left back around 2006 or 2007 I just faded away as I got into other things. I posted ATS for a while after but it was sparing.

I don’t think very many people asked about me here after I left even though I had over 10k comments at the time. I was even surprised to see there was a reference to me by one person in the “where is xyz member?” thread.

If I leave again, it’ll probably be another fade off.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

keets, during the Fratlaw exchange and heated discussions I think you both at one time or another during those contentious threads said "goodbye" to the forumites. You even replaced a bag avatar as your icon for awhile. Ah, good times.
    The statute of limitations states this 'crime' is expunged after ten years though, so you're all good.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the option for the Ban Hammer? Where one does not have the option to say goodbye? That is how a lot of members seem to depart >:)

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say goodbye to my friends here, just before I die.

Larry

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @TurtleCat when I left about 7 years ago, I just turned it off one day and never turned it back on. It was mostly the result of a situation that some members knew a fair amount about, but I didn't say goodbye. Of the emails and phone numbers shared, only one of us ever contacted me (shortly after).

Unless I knew I was leaving humanity, kind of like @Bear knew, then no ... if I left, it'd probably be one day I just turned it off again.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

why would i want to is the question

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the only reason I'd ever start a "goodbye" thread is if I just snapped for some reason. Rest assured, it would probably be epic... :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I ever stop posting here, you can assume that I've died, I have a serious health issue, or I've been banned.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Where is the option for the Ban Hammer? Where one does not have the option to say goodbye? That is how a lot of members seem to depart >:)

I think that’s the “open forum” style.... legendary. Usually only a fleeting glimpse of the bammable offense, seen by only the lucky few that happen to be logged on at the time.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, I love this forum and hope to stay as long as they’ll let me.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If I ever stop posting here, you can assume that I've died, I have a serious health issue, or I've been banned.

Yep I was going to say I'm sure I'll be perma-banned before I ever had the chance, not that I would announce my departure anyway.

I already know nobody would care except my 2 creepy troll stalkers. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it somewhat difficult to predict what my future self will do, but in general it seems a bit overly dramatic for my taste.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not such a bad idea to say goodbye to the keyboard friends you made here.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most recent replies to the goodbye thread were different, most notably the epic AT sunset. Usually they are boring and very cliché.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It wouldn't be worthy of a thread.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2020 6:33PM

I'll either get banned or dragged out of here feet first Al.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

if I do, that means I died

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Nah

Best answer so far.............

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will write a lengthy Shakespearean-worthy goodbye prose posting that will rock this forum and go viral all over the world. Provided I actually hit the 'Post Comment' button, which I will somehow neglect to do,

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost forgot about the "I'm Leaving" manifestos that used to be a regular thing years ago here and on other types of boards. Many were quite entertaining. They don't seem to be a thing anymore, at least not often from what I have noticed.

When I leave, I will probably never know it is coming.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im sorry, but I really do not think folks on this forum give a rats shuggies about me , my collection, opinions , etc on this forum. As many years as I have been on this forum, I still feel like a total stranger. So I doubt I would bother with signing off.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd prefer people say goodbye so we don't wonder where they went.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I said goodbye on the NGC boards because I was upset at the host. Did not change anything.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2020 7:34PM

One day ill be gone and I don't expect anyone to really notice and that is OK.. I love it here but there is an impermanence to all things...

• Options

@messydesk said:
    There are several types of goodbyes that seem to come up. The most common is a self-immolation goodbye, where someone declares themselves a martyr for some cause, goes out with a scorched earth screed, only to scorch nobody but themselves. These are often entertaining at the departing's expense. The next is the "life changed" goodbye, sometimes health, sometimes finances, sometimes other situations. These are the toughest to read, so I'd prefer to inflict this type of goodbye on the rest of the group if it comes to that. Then there are goodbyes followed by reincarnations as an alt. They don't happen that often, but they have all the subtlety of someone who fakes his own death and then shows up at the funeral to watch.

You also forgot fake goodbyes that are attention seeking in etiology. The poster never leaves or takes a break.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No I would not feel the need.
    I don't think it would even enter my mind to do so.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I leave, notice of same by others (if any there is) will be likely be fleeting at best.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy Keets, this thread you started brought up some sad but poignant replies that remind me how much I take this forum and it’s members for granted.
    Your vulnerabilities are touching.
    I think now, I might miss many of you more.
    At least, until you touch a nerve.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a good bye thread is nice. Lots of people I follow have just disappeared over the years. There’s even a thread on who you realize is missing.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    At 2.7K views and 113 posts, the Goodbye thread is one of the most popular ones!

Have to click on/check it out. Like rubber necking at a car accident.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport when you talk cents I listen

Martin

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I don't think anyone would even notice. :(

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fade in and out. So probably no "announcement".

I did say "Hi" when I returned after a particularly long absence. I like to think maybe one person said, "I remember you"....but I'm not sure that is correct. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

No one knows I here, so what's the point.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options

@JBK said:
    I'd prefer people say goodbye so we don't wonder where they went.

I'll miss you the most JBK... :'(;)

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just joined but I will leave one day. It will most likely be with psychotic rage as I've stopped taking meds to feel a "normal" I've been searching for since 9/11. I'd probably make a memorable disappearance for the record books.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t see me leaving on bad terms, so If I knew I was signing off I’d probably write up a “thank you” thread that would fade beyond the 2nd page pretty quickly.
    More likely, though, is that I’ll just look up one day and realize it’s been awhile since I was on and shrug.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would and then i'd start naming off people like I knew them personally for years. Then I'd come back a couple hours later like it never happened.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum has had many people come and go over the years. Doesn't matter who you are. If you leave, you will be forgotten over time. Forum life will go on.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 4:22AM

said "goodbye" to the forumites. You even replaced a bag avatar as your icon for awhile

such is the biased faulty memory. while I have signed out on a couple of occasions to let the noise die down I don't recall ever being so melodramatic as to post an "I'm Leaving" or "Goodbye" thread unless it was in jest.

as for the avatar contention, I have had two, the aforementioned "Bag" which Lordmarcovan helped me upload when I first joined and my current incarnation. so yes, there's a little wishful bias in there.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No goodbyes....Just will not be here....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file