Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 S VDB Need Second Opinion

Hi, this is my first post. I recently bought myself the 1909 S VDB Lincoln Cent from a reputable dealer. The dealer knows what he's doing as he has been dealing in coins for many years. I just want any of you coin experts opinions on the coin. I was curious as to why the "09" in 1909 is weak and which die pair was used for this coin as I know there were four used. If any of you have doubts to its authenticity, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're going to need much better images.
    Lance.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 9:41PM

Yes better images cause at this point the lettering looks wrong. At least to me it does. The B, T and Y in Liberty look wrong.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

For comparison.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2020 9:56PM

This is the best I can do from OP's images. Authenticity is not out of the question but much better pictures would help a lot.

Obverse #4 is the best bet. The position of the dot following D in VDB should be precisely in the middle, not close to the D as with the non-S '09 VDB. Hard to say.
    Lance.

• Options
    joej132joej132 Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hope these help, sorry about that.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pleasant $700. to $800. Lincoln in my opinion.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 10:25PM

Welcome to the forum! :)

:) Above photos cropped.

• Options

You guys agree that the coin is genuine?

• Options

Also curious about how the "09" in 1909 is weak. Any thoughts?

• Options

Thanks for your input. I completely understand your point of view. Not everyone is perfect and there still is a chance that it's not real. Also, I don't at all like graded coins. I don't agree with the idea of third party grading as they are the ones who make the most money out of the hobby and in my opinion people have given these companies way too much power over the hobby. I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can look at this coin and authenticate for me. That's just my thoughts on third party grading. Don't mean to offend.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Also curious about how the "09" in 1909 is weak. Any thoughts?"

Could be a weak strike, could be slightly grease filled along with normal wear for the grade.

My dumb guess would be genuine and may grade in the 12 - 15 range, leaning more to the 12 range.
    Looks like there is some stuff on the coin that may or may not need to come off.
    It has an overall good look for the grade.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joej132 said:
    Thanks for your input. I completely understand your point of view. Not everyone is perfect and there still is a chance that it's not real. Also, I don't at all like graded coins. I don't agree with the idea of third party grading as they are the ones who make the most money out of the hobby and in my opinion people have given these companies way too much power over the hobby. I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can look at this coin and authenticate for me. That's just my thoughts on third party grading. Don't mean to offend.

No offense taken.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 12:05AM

@joej132 said:

Unless you’re an expert or a gambler don’t buy expensive raw coins. For the same price or a few more dollars you could have bought a professionally graded and authenticated coin.

• Options

lets put aside the whole third party grading thing and lets actually talk about the coin.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oy vey.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The current coin market for "key date" coins wants coins that are slabbed by a major Third Party Grader. Yours is not and will be looked at as suspect due to the many fake 1909-S VDB coins in the marketplace. Fakes of this coin, some of them very high quality, have been around for many decades. The fakes are not just recent counterfeits coming out of China or other parts of asia.

The fact that you don't like third party grading counts for nothing in the current coin market. The "market" wants them slabbed. Opinions you receive for free on this board are worth exactly that when it comes time to sell.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@joej132 said:

Unless you’re an expert or a gambler don’t buy expensive raw coins. For the same price or a few more dollars you could have bought a professionally graded and authenticated coin.

And guaranteed.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I unfortunately agree with the above.

I did buy an example in a UK auction that looked good and indeed graded MS64RB by our hosts, so amateur opinion was borne out.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joej132.... Welcome aboard.... Your coin seems to be authentic....That being said, I am not a professional coin grader....Good luck with your coin...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me based on what i can take from the images provided

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 6:03AM

As a coin collector, you buy what you want. I truly understand owning coins that can be handled and not in a plastic coffin, BUT in this day of counterfeit everything, why not buy certified and open it for your own enjoyment, thus owning a certified coin not in plastic. If by chance you someday wish to sell you will have the plastic label and photos to match the 3rd party grading companies certified coin. Just a thought. ADDED. BTW a very attractive coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

looks nice

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    As a coin collector, you buy what you want. I truly understand owning coins that can be handled and not in a plastic coffin, BUT in this day of counterfeit everything, why not buy certified and open it for your own enjoyment, thus owning a certified coin not in plastic. If by chance you someday wish to sell you will have the plastic label and photos to match the 3rd party grading companies certified coin. Just a thought. ADDED. BTW a very attractive coin.
    Jim

Once a coin has been cracked out of its slab, it becomes a raw coin no matter how many pictures you take of it in the slab and the fact that you saved the label. No one knows what you did with it or to it after it was cracked out. If you want to sell that coin at some future date for its maximum value, you'll have to go through the expense and trouble of having it reslabbed. This is the reality of the coin marketplace.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2020 6:32AM

Looks authentic. But it needs to be certified for all the reasons stated. No bad advice has been offered here.

If you take any more pictures, please shoot them with the coin out of its flip so details can be better seen.
    Lance.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2020 6:36AM

@PerryHall said:
    Once a coin has been cracked out of its slab, it becomes a raw coin no matter how many pictures you take of it in the slab and the fact that you saved the label. No one knows what you did with it or to it after it was cracked out. If you want to sell that coin at some future date for its maximum value, you'll have to go through the expense and trouble of having it reslabbed. This is the reality of the coin marketplace.

I made this exact error many years ago. I knew to buy slabbed coins as I started with my Type Set, but cracked them out so I could house them in a large handsome black Capital Plastics holder/display. Yes, I saved the labels, but as noted in the above quote, it did'nt do ANY good. Around 2013 I got "wise", got rid of my display, and resubmitted all coins to PCGS. While a couple coins got higher grades, and most got the same grade, there were a bunch that got lower grades. Lesson learned!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 7:21AM

Looks real to me. Congratulations! My S V.D.B. is from the same die as yours as is my '09 S without the V.D.B.

V.D.B. is kind of faint almost like it's whispering. Dot between "D" and "B" centered as it should be. Style of 'S' mintmark correct. Do you see the tiny notch in the upper loop of the 'S'? That is a subtlety that, when seen, represents absolutely that a 1909 S V.D.B. from obverse die #6 ('s' far low and far right) is authentic. Counterfeiting that notch in the 's' would be virtually impossible.

If your S V.D.B. was mine I would consider not even slabbing it and put it in my Whitman slide window album with its raw brothers and sisters that's how confident I would be in its authenticity.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 7:27AM

@mr1874 said:

If your S V.D.B. was mine I would consider not even slabbing it and put it in my Whitman slide window album with its raw brothers and sisters that's how confident I would be in its authenticity.

+1

Although to be fair, mine used to be in an anacs yellow slab

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited August 13, 2020 7:27AM

• Options

Listen guys, thanks for taking a look at my coin. For the most part, all of you consider the coin genuine and that's great for me. I'm also not surprised about the response I'm getting about third party grading. Yes, I know this coin is highly counterfeited. Yes, I know people will probably give me less money for it if I sell it raw. Yes, I know collectors today want their coins graded. However... none of that matters to me. I choose my own path and not the one people tell me I should take. That's not going to change any time soon and I hope you guys will be able to respect that. If not, too bad for you then.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

More information about 1909-S V.D.B.:

A variety of die deterioration of the No. 3 die (die #6 of 1909-S including those without V.D.B.) exists wherein there was die erosion of the mint mark and along the rim near the date and under the bust. ..... If the piece is a No. 3 low right mintmark and has this feature, it is genuine.

p. 13, Detecting Altered Coins, Fifth Edition by Bert Harsche

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy....well....just keep in mind, a picture will never replace a professional looking at the coin in hand with a 10x loupe, rotating the light, viewing from a side angle, etc. Even for the professionals on this forum.

It is crazy how easy it is to make a coin look totally different through photography and lighting techniques. I call it photox.

Enjoy the hunt and good luck.

• Options

I won't be ale to post more pictures until after I get home from work. Won't be back until late afternoon.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joej132 said:
    Listen guys, thanks for taking a look at my coin. For the most part, all of you consider the coin genuine and that's great for me. I'm also not surprised about the response I'm getting about third party grading. Yes, I know this coin is highly counterfeited. Yes, I know people will probably give me less money for it if I sell it raw. Yes, I know collectors today want their coins graded. However... none of that matters to me. I choose my own path and not the one people tell me I should take. That's not going to change any time soon and I hope you guys will be able to respect that. If not, too bad for you then.

Well said there is no reason you need to have that coin graded, I see no issues from the photos it look legit. It would look perfect in a nice album or even a capital holder of some kind. Down the road when its time to sell then you can decide if you want to spend the money to have it graded and slabbed.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

lol

• Options

idk

• Options

I know you guys don’t have bad intentions with your advice. I just choose not to listen is all.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 9:44AM

@PerryHall said:

@joej132 said:
    I know you guys don’t have bad intentions with your advice. I just choose not to listen is all.

Why did you come here for advice if you don't actually listen to it? It's your choice to follow the advice given here or not but you should at least be polite enough to listen to it.

He didn't ask for advice - he asked : "... I just want any of you coin experts opinions on the coin. I was curious as to why the "09" in 1909 is weak and which die pair was used for this coin as I know there were four used. If any of you have doubts to its authenticity, please let me know. Thanks. "

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    This is the best I can do from OP's images. Authenticity is not out of the question but much better pictures would help a lot.

Obverse #4 is the best bet. The position of the dot following D in VDB should be precisely in the middle, not close to the D as with the non-S '09 VDB. Hard to say.

that is really neat. almost identical to the one i did but i've never seen that one before. do you mind sharing what publication has that as it probably has other useful info.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joej132 said:

Most on this post welcome new members, and go out of their way to try to help. But.... less so for those who do not appreciate it or seem to carry an attitude. Your comments have made me reluctant to provide any opinion on the coin. But others have given you excellent advice. Up to you whether to accept or not. To each their own.

----- kj
  • Options

PerryHall, I’m not trying hurt or offend anyone. Relax man, I just wanted people to look at it and authenticate it. Most have concluded that it’s real and that’s all I needed.

I understand many of the people here all love your graded coins and that’s completely fine. I don’t and that’s not going to change. Please respect that.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    that is really neat. almost identical to the one i did but i've never seen that one before. do you mind sharing what publication has that as it probably has other useful info.

I'm not sure of the original source. It was posted to a Cointalk thread about 10 years ago.
    Lance.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't have it graded anyway, too worn out looking for me. Actually, I probably would so I could sell it.
    Cheers

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 11:29AM

@joej132 said:

You may not like graded coins, but there are some coins that I would not buy raw these days, and I’ve been a collector for over 60 years and handled millions of dollars’ worth of material. I used to buy raw better date coins from collections when I was a dealer, but I never sold them raw. I always got them authenticated.

It’s just not worth the risk these days. If you buy a counterfeit and find out years or even months later, you have little or no recourse. It’s a cliché but it’s long been true. “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 11:43AM

@joej132

Good luck in your endeavor.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joej132 said:

Your coin is a Die#4. Everything matches. I didn't slab my coin, it looked real good in the Dansco with all the other coins.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file