Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When’s your next coin trip?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I’ll have to go to Dallas for a couple of days to look at the S-B and H ANA auctions. Will probably skip Vegas.

What are your plans?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local show will be in a couple of weeks so I’ll be going there if possible. Other than that probably nowhere.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

post-COVID. It's why I've started buying online. I probably won't get to physically look at coins I don't yet own until next spring :(
    Congrats to all those able to get out sooner!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have none, making none.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely whenever Long Beach reopens, contingent upon ancillary factors.

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think there's been a worse time to try and make plans for the future. Taking it day by day.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say Winter FUN but at this rate, I don't see that show as happening. There are too many people that are eager to spread COVID-19. In Florida there has been 5,000 - 10,000 new cases EVERY DAY for the last week, That does not exactly give me confidence in anything happening close to normal.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe September at a coin show. For now anyway

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I walk to the mail box if I’m fortunate to find anything on line

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking today if the landscape will be any different in September.
    My next target date for a coin show is that month.

I gave up hope for Pittsburgh ANA in early May, three months before.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 2:34PM

I haven't been to a show in years. No plans to go to one. I did enjoy going to the Baltimore shows when I lived in Maryland from 2005-2011. But I don't have anything close to me now. Besides, it's too easy to buy online from trusted dealers with solid return policies.

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I haven't even checked my LCS's yet as to what they are doing. I have no desire to travel anywhere that isn't necessary yet. We get our walks in around the neighborhood, I can find some coins that way. :)

I guess that if I was working, I might visit a LCS.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dalton, Ga at the end of August(fingers and toes crossed)!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winter FUN in January, if I’m lucky. My local club has a show scheduled in the fall, but like the last two, it’s probably going to be history too.

My guess everything is going to be dead for at least a year until there is a vaccine.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say....figuring the Dalton,Ga. show in August will be cancelled, but hasn't yet. I had high hopes that show would fly...not looking too good now. Just heard on the news the county I live in is now a hot spot. 2800+ cases added yesterday after very low numbers up until now. :s

I just mailed my check for the January FUN show this week...we will see!

I'm beginning to become a homebody....slowly starting to spoil me...so long as internet and phone sales keep up the pace...although the last week or so has noticeably slowed down. I'm just starting to rethink whether I wanna spend the bucks and time setting up at shows. Most shows for me have been for buying more than selling the last year or 2. I can walk a show for a day or to a whole hellava lot cheaper than I can set up at them!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I knew, and don’t think I am the only one. Other than the local coin shop if he gets anything interesting in.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    post-COVID. It's why I've started buying online.

How will we know when we're post COVID? There's a good chance it becomes endemic and never really leaves us.

@BillJones said:
    My guess everything is going to be dead for at least a year until there is a vaccine.

This will hopefully happen (there are hopeful signs), but there's no guarantee we'll find a vaccine that works. This is true for LOADS of viral diseases despite decades of our best effort.

Me personally? I'll attend the first major show that happens and probably a few others before that, even if it's just for lot viewing.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be stay home and away from any coin shows.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whichever show is giving out vaccines

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

PCGS Trade Show, July 15-17.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

The minute they schedule one in my area....I'm there. So far, they're all canceled through August. The next one is slated for October. Hopefully, it will go off without a hitch.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last week my wife and I planned a trip down to LA, and I had the shops I wanted to visit all lined-up, but then the virus started picking up again. LA in particular was hard hit, so we canceled. Maybe next month or who knows, whenever things tamp down again.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor trips to shops, that’s about it.

No big remote shows on the horizon, sadly. Can’t wait for a Long Beach-sized show!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Mine will be to my mailbox to pick up a newp...

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not 'till the COVID-19 abates or when there's an effective and available vaccine. I would be in trouble if I was unlucky enough to get it.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

January FUN, if they have it this time.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was headed to the Springs before they cancelled. I have tickets to St. Louis at the end of the month but I have a feeling that will be cancelled as well. I had/have specific time sensitive reasons for those two otherwise I wouldn't go near a plane at this time. Southwest must be getting tired of me cancelling trips and rolling over the credits month after month scheduling more trips I won't be taking.

Dallas (for different reasons than Andy) might be the first to force a choice.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    Not 'till the COVID-19 abates or when there's an effective and available vaccine. I would be in trouble if I was unlucky enough to get it.

Are you forgetting to take your VitD, VitA, and Zinc? Is your blood type A, B, or AB?

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a couple of weeks. I am going to drive across town, to the bank where my safety deposit boxes are. They are stuffed with coins and exonumia that I haven't seen in at least 5 years (13 years for pieces in one of the boxes).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 7:06PM

@MrEureka said:
    When’s your next coin trip?

I'm about to visit my mailbox :)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    In a couple of weeks. I am going to drive across town, to the bank where my safety deposit boxes are. They are stuffed with coins and exonumia that I haven't seen in at least 5 years (13 years for pieces in one of the boxes).

It's better than a coin show when you find stuff you forgot you even owned... Like free newps ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

None right now as I don't even consider the snack aisles essential.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope by the end of the month.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

Baystate?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. My next “coin trip” will be to the SDB.
    I appreciate how conscientious this group is, certainly somewhat due to age, but also concern for others.
    The evidence is clear. We know what to do.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post Office tomorrow to send something out, and also to the Vault to set a couple things in.

Otherwise, keeping to myself and mine as much as I can and still run a couple business units

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Same here. My next “coin trip” will be to the SDB.
    I appreciate how conscientious this group is, certainly somewhat due to age, but also concern for others.
    The evidence is clear. We know what to do.

We do. Age and diabetes for me. Stayin' home.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

zero interest. I’ve always have bought The majority of coins from trusted online dealers anyways. Shows were always mostly a social event for me. Shows can wait. Coin shows are very low on my list of priorities these days

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I get a lot out of going to B&M shops, some good, some bad. I tend to buy most of what I'm interested in (BU rolls) at shops, as it takes viewing in person to decide. Folks don't bring rolls to shows as they are heavy and they perceive them as unpopular. It's a terrible mess buying rolls online given the many scams. I miss the coin buying trips (among other things).

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin shows for me have been more about that hunt and finding the unexpected coupled with the mental stimulation of analyzing coins and their values as I scan the aisles. My purchasing may actually accelerate in the near term as collections are dispersed but decline in the long run as new material which may typically come from overseas sources fails to make it to the US market or I lose visibility to the quality of the pieces due to lack of travel.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

“When’s your next coin trip?”

If prices keep falling, to the smelter or bank. >:)

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭

Just booked my trip to Dallas for next month, but only because the fares are really cheap. Depending on how things look in Texas closer to the date, I may decide to cancel.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as soon as they come up with a vaccine for this deadly virus I will be like a wild animal out of a cage, truth. I can’t wait for that day to arrive. Saving my money and ready to hit the ground running, well, walking fast😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not ready to trade my life for coins, so I wont be going to any shows.

I suspect the best and next advancement will be a self-test using saliva and that should come this year.
    We will be able to test ourselves daily before venturing out to interact with another tested individual, like a dentist, barber, etc.

35% of people say they will refuse to be vaccinated until the vaccine is in use for a few years and is proven safe.... so where will that leave us?

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemDude said:

35% of people say they will refuse to be vaccinated until the vaccine is in use for a few years and is proven safe.... so where will that leave us?

Hopefully not dead

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im going to the local B&M tomorrow if the wife gives me a pass! Hoping to do some cherry picking!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today, I took a nice walk into the woods with my AT Pro. Dug an 1881 & 1887 IHC and a 1910 wheatie. They're soaking. I'll post them on the detecting section for @ricko and the crew. I'm going back tomorrow. Local flea market is back open and I think it's gonna be a buyers market due to the shutdown. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file