Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Third Installment Of A Raw Roosevelt Dime Set (1950 & 1951) In This Thread

TomBTomB Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a month ago I started a thread about a raw Roosevelt dime set that I have worked on, at a very low level, for approximately 15-years. In that thread I shared the coins from 1946 and 1947. A later thread showed the coins from 1948 and 1949. This afternoon I am listing the coins from 1950 and 1951. Those who collect them no doubt realize that there were no US Mint Sets issued in 1950, which can make finding attractive pieces a bit more difficult. However, it appears there are enough toned pieces to go around. Of the coins from these two years (1950 and 1951) it seems to me that the 1951-D and 1951-S definitely have the original US Mint Set look to them and, indeed, I picked these out from discarded partial set cardboards as essentially free "throwaways".

The original and first follow-up threads are below-

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038386/a-raw-roosevelt-dime-silver-set-1946-1964-as-a-side-project

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038908/continuation-of-a-raw-roosevelt-dime-set-1948-1949-in-this-thread

I hope you enjoy.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another great set of coins and photos! Both of those years are quite challenging for finding great Roosie toners.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB.... You certainly have consistency in your selections... Well done! Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces Tom. Any idea the going price for those these days? I have a few I got from a raw auction lot years ago that toned up nicely. However, I think yours would grade higher.

jom

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Beautiful coins. Thanks for sharing.

What he said with an extra long jaw drop - Those truly are impressive.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice batch of dimes.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1951's are fantastic! B)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for the very kind words! Truly, I am pleased to read the responses.

For those curious about possible value, I would imagine that most of the value would be tied to how PCGS or NGC might grade the coins and, in some cases, if the coins would receive the FT designation. I have always thought the FT designation on Roosevelt dimes was nothing more than a play for additional revenue by the TPGs so I have ignored it. Additionally, it has been my experience that the TPGs are less consistent with how they grade toned Roosevelts than with how they grade other coinage. Hence, my hesitation to provide approximate values. Regardless, these were all picked up for very little individually (from essentially free to a few dollars each) so I'm not concerned about the value of these particular pieces.

Thank you again for your time and kind words.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep these threads ... That's how good they are. Also you are a great photographer!!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some pretty toners @TomB ... good looking coins, again :)

Like many, I too enjoy your posts and your wonderful photographic skills

Funny how the gravity and distance of toning can change the passage of light :p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins!!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a quick look at the price guide and noticed the price jumps at 68. I don’t know enough about these but assumed they were 68’s and certainly no less than 67. Don’t you feel the least bit compelled to have them graded? Just to know if you have 1,000 or 10,000.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file