Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Raw Roosevelt Dime Silver Set (1946-1964) As A Side Project

TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m certain many of us pick up a series or idea and start to form a collection that gets put on the back burner and only looked at now and again. Such is the case for a Roosevelt set that I started to build perhaps 15-years ago. Like most other dealers or serious collectors, I see lots of coins and over time I have built a pair of gem, untoned album sets of silver Roosevelt dimes. I’ve also owned and sold dozens of superbly toned examples, many of which were certified with very high grades.

The untoned album sets never cost much, either to build or to sell, but some of those high grade toned coins cost a relatively large sum of money. Around 15-years ago I started to pick out the odd dime or two that was really nice when I would buy a bullion deal or partial US Mint Set or an end roll coin or otherwise generic album set or just some random, individual piece that looked cool. My vague goal was to squirrel away these nice coins and, eventually, place them in a Capitol Plastics holder or some type of shelf album. In the meantime, they were kept in a clear plastic tube.

At this time I’ve managed to build a complete 1946-1964 silver set and would like to share the first installment of them. I write “installment” because I don’t want to glaze everyone’s eyes over by listing images of approximately 50-coins at one time. Here are the pieces from 1946. The issues from 1947 will be in the next post. Please keep in mind that this was not a set of intense focus or effort on my part and that, on average, I have probably spent seventy-five cents per coin. In the future, I may start new threads with later dates of coins.

I hope you enjoy!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your photo's sure are incredible. It's a fun set to work on, I have a similar project I haven't done anything with in years. They're all in old dansco pages.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a confirmed Roosie guy, I'm looking forward to following this thread! I like the look of the coins posted thus far.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 11:28AM

Great looking coins!

I finished that set and it’s currently residing in a capital plastics holder. I’ll have to post some pictures tonight.

It was one of the funnest sets I ever built. I got most of the coins from the Santa Clara coin show. I think my budget was $12-$20 per coin. Getting to look through 30 different examples of a 1952-D dime was really fun.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! I look forward to seeing them all. B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have a set "under construction" in an old blue Whitman folder. everyone knows this sort of project could be completed in a walk through any modest size coin show, but putting together a BU toned set is a little more challenging. since I retired and haven't been to any shows it's been about a year since I added anything.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far those look very nice. My Whitman Roosevelt set was done when I was a kid and they are BU, beat up. Actually some are nice, mostly junk silver, but I still like them.

I did have one picture of my 52P on my phone.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really nice looking 1952 proof. It appears to have a vibrant blue arc around perhaps half the obverse. Is the reverse white or does it have an arc, too?

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo! All of them have a great look.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of beautiful Dimes in this thread so far!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a set of the silver Roosevelt Dimes in a couple of Seitz Coin Cases in the early 1980s. This is the first case from 1946 to 1955-P. There are some nice coins in this set although it's hard say if any of them are worth the cost of certification and shipping in the current market.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@TomB said:
    That's a really nice looking 1952 proof. It appears to have a vibrant blue arc around perhaps half the obverse. Is the reverse white or does it have an arc, too?

I don’t remember but I will check it out tonight! :)

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a big time Roosevelt Dime collector this is really a neat project for anyone who wants to put a nice small set of silvers together. I would imagine Franklins look great like this too and the set is even shorter than the Dimes.

I'm going to be following this thread. BTW, the 1946's are truly stunning dimes. Love the look of all 3 dimes. IMHO 1946-S has outnumbered any other date for high graded colorful gems. There is just something about that year.

Later, Paul.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins Tom. I also have a 46-64 set in a Whitman album.

Trade $'s
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins Tom!!

I have several sets, both raw and graded. Fun set to collect! Cant wait to see the rest of them.

• MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins! especially for the price.
    and great photos.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 4:23PM

Nice coins/pics, Good Luck in your endeavor. Love dem Roosy's. Just found a nice one in the wild. I'm thinking of sending it in? :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Both sides of my raw 52 proof,

My ‘64 is the most colorful

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Tom

I bet your having fun .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will enjoy seeing your "March of Dimes" presented as time goes on.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that nice!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great side project and done with a high standard for quality

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB So, do we get to see 1948 and 1949 today? ;)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny... I have the same casual on ongoing project.... Completed one about thirty years ago which I still have.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Tom! Looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for all the kind words! I think the 1946 year set is likely the nicest grouping in the entire set, so please don't expect the rest of the coins to look like them.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Roosies too. TomB, looking forward to this thread as it progresses. BillJones, I like yours too. ALOT. Coinkat, got a set a little older. Completed a Whitman folder in 1967 or 1968 which I still have. I have several sets both graded and in Dansco albums. My 46 - 64 fb set is # 7, just not alot of trueviews to look at.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a fun pursuit Tom. Thank you for sharing your grouping. I try to pick these up when I can, as the Roosevelt series seems abundant, at least comparatively, to other series with toning. Perhaps this has to do with the affordability of BU examples that could be "plugged" in an album, unwittingly set aside, while time handles the rest and tones?

Here's a group shot of my slabbed examples. Have some cool raw too in 2x2's.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say Roosies are my favorite series, but two thoughts came to mind when I saw this thread. First, nice Roosies can be really nice. Two, I'm pretty confident any coin you deem worth showing off is a coin I want to see. I'm looking forward to the rest of this set!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file