Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Question - How Long?

Comments

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Well, as of today it is a MONTH since my three submissions were shipped to PSA...still not even logged yet!

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 332 ✭✭✭

I had an order fly through grading, but has now been stuck in Assembly for 3 weeks. Seems like such a strange place for an order to stop moving through the process.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent three orders in one package that was signed for on 6/12. One was a 1 card Express Crossover that went through the process and has already been delivered back to me. The other two orders were both CC Platinum gradings,one had 2 cards the other 14,neither have been logged in yet.

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@AANV said:
    I had an order fly through grading, but has now been stuck in Assembly for 3 weeks. Seems like such a strange place for an order to stop moving through the process.

Same here. I sent 40 cards in for quarterly special in the beginning of February that has been in Assembly since June 5th. I sent a bulk submission about 2 weeks later that I probably won’t get back until August.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@shawther said:

@AANV said:

Same here. I sent 40 cards in for quarterly special in the beginning of February that has been in Assembly since June 5th. I sent a bulk submission about 2 weeks later that I probably won’t get back until August.

Morning,
    And same here, I have a 91 card quarterly special with almost exact same dates sitting in assembly for 3 weeks now. I called PSA 3 times and they finally called me back and told me that sometimes the orders skip around and even though my order shows in Assem. that they may be still doing Research and Identification and sometimes they Grade them before they are finished in R & I. Huh?

Sounded like who I spoke to didn't really have an answer and was just reaching, but if so, why have that Order chain at all??? If it doesn't really mean anything.

Also somebody here mentioned that they thought since CLT fiscal year ends in June, that there would be a push to get a bunch of stuff out so the Revenue would hit the bottom line for this year. If so it sounds like they have a lot to do before Weds.!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@shawther said:

@AANV said:

Morning,
    And same here, I have a 91 card quarterly special with almost exact same dates sitting in assembly for 3 weeks now. I called PSA 3 times and they finally called me back and told me that sometimes the orders skip around and even though my order shows in Assem. that they may be still doing Research and Identification and sometimes they Grade them before they are finished in R & I. Huh?

Sounded like who I spoke to didn't really have an answer and was just reaching, but if so, why have that Order chain at all??? If it doesn't really mean anything.

Also somebody here mentioned that they thought since CLT fiscal year ends in June, that there would be a push to get a bunch of stuff out so the Revenue would hit the bottom line for this year. If so it sounds like they have a lot to do before Weds.!

YeeHah!

Neil

Interesting. Mine was also what was a monthly special at the time. Monthly Special 9.

I had two orders finally enter grading on Friday. All of these orders were submitted at the Long Beach Expo.

It took from February 28 until last Friday for the Research and ID team to identify my 117 cards from 1986 - 1988 Fleer Basketball. Seems weird given that they have graded hundreds, if not thousands, of each one of these cards that I submitted.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I'd guess that the majority of the time an order shows as being in Research, it is just sitting idle, waiting to be picked up for grading...for the majority of orders, little research is probably needed, so that stage is just a "holding" place...if they instead had orders sitting in the grading stage for months, people would wonder how the heck it can take so long to grade cards...with the current large backlog of orders, they have to have the orders sit somewhere for all those months....Research is that chosen stage

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Mine was accepted on May 21, logged on June 16 and shipped today.

So, around 6 weeks for a 2 card economy order. For me, this is fine.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem I see is PSA is not tackling the bulk orders as quickly as maybe they should. They are moving economy, express & super express orders and bulk orders seemed to just sit there. I have a friend that has over 7 different bulk orders and the oldest being logged at the end of January and 2 middle & 1 at the end of February. All 4 are still sitting in ID / research. To me the process for bulk order is not a high priority. I’m not sure why

I was told by a PSA rep the reason why PSA opened back up since COVID-19 is that PSA is considered an essential business. Well if that’s true the customers that sent in bulk orders should be a high priority too. I wish Steve Sloan would address this issue on why bulk subs are not moving as fast as the other services offered. I’m only talking about the bulk subs that are from December, January and February and stuck on Research & ID.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

With as many subs as they are getting, its literally like they are printing money. You would think that with so much money coming in they could do something to catch up. I know this is not a new complaint or idea but cmon man! I would volunteer my time to help out if I lived nearby

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think anyone realizes just how many packages they are receiving on a daily basis since the COVID surge. Considering they weren't built/staffed for that volume and throw in the fact they had to close shop for a while... it's no wonder they're backed up. I can imagine how hard it is to add qualified graders, but how hard is it to find enough trustworthy employees to even open and log orders in a timely manner? They're handling packages with thousands of (if not hundreds of thousands) dollars worth of cards inside... and knowing you can't maintain that size staff if normalcy ever returns.

Or maybe I'm just happy because my three orders of 8 packs was logged this morning, one week after they were delivered! 😁

• Options

I think the reason bulks are not a priority is because the submitter gets to submit them at a reduced rate -- but primarily, because it may take a grader a few hours to grade a 400-card bulk sub, but they could knock out 75 to 100 small orders in that same time...by doing the small orders, you make a lot of people happy, in this case 75 to 100, and you only have 1 customer who is unhappy....delays in bulk orders only make a minority of the people unruly/impatient...if they stopped everything and only worked on the bulks, you'd have a million small orders clogging up the system...I have a 256-card bulk from January that has been in Research since March...crossing my fingers and hoping I see it move to Grading one of these months...

• Options

Afternoon,

That still does not explain their statement to me that the orders Skip around and sometimes are Graded before they are actually finished in R & I. If they don't adhere to their own Submission Chain then don't skip them 2 steps if that aren't really there. if this statement was not true, then 3+ weeks to Sonically Seal 91 cards is ridiculous, if they actually have been through R & I (a 1945 Set the've Graded over 5000 examples of, not much R & I Needed) and then Grading, this just makes them look bad. How can one Special get done in 3-4 weeks and others take 6 months, for cards they have Graded millions of? Huh?

As has been mentioned since I started this Forever Quest back in the early 2000's, the solution is as it has always been and the same as it should have been from Day One.......First In, First Out.............period, within certain parameters (Same type of Sub ect. etc. ), that's how you do business!

I took my Gold Chain for a new clasp and the Jeweler said he had about 10 in front of me, but after that I was next in Line!! Was ready in two days!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options

I was told yesterday that just because an order is in a certain stage does not necessarily mean that it will move any faster than the stated turnaround time. I'm led to believe that my orders that are in ASSEMBLY on Day 65 still likely have another 35+ days remaining in the process.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2020 11:11PM

Granted this is probably easier said than done, but PSA should have a Chicago/Midwest location, and a Texas/south location. Clearly there is no shortage of demand. I heard something like they are 1.5 Million cards behind because of their shutdown due to Covid? And in the meantime everyone had no sports to watch, all the time in the world, and in some cases stimulus money to burn. I have like a 100 cards to send in, but I'm debating if I send em in now where there could be a rush job on grading when they finally get to em, or just wait it out so I get a quicker turnaround once they are received. Bud Selig Hands Up

• Options

I now have 3/4 orders in Assembly from my February submissions.
    I'm going to say that Assembly is the new Research and ID stage.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:

It sure seems that way on some subs, I've had one in Assembly for over a month without even getting the "Review Order" yet. It was one of those that skipped the Grading stage. More recent subs seem to just be hanging out in R&ID.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured that the "gas gauge" would do nothing but cause a lot more complaints.

It really was pretty meaningless in my opinion. In fact the operation of logging jobs in and out of areas probably adds time to the overall process.

I just mailed my submission today. How long do I have to wait until I can start complaining about why it's taking so long, not to just get graded and sent back to me, but how much time an order is in a particular stage of the process?

I will be expecting my cards to get logged the same day as they arrive and will start crying about why PSA doesn't hire more people at that time. One day in each stage of the process should be enough to do the job.

I'll probably also call them at least once a day to inquire on my orders status'.

They should probably open a facility in at least 10 states and cut grading fees in half.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@AANV said:

It sure seems that way on some subs, I've had one in Assembly for over a month without even getting the "Review Order" yet. It was one of those that skipped the Grading stage. More recent subs seem to just be hanging out in R&ID.

Same.....I've got a big order sitting in Assembly for over a month. It was an order from Feb. Seeing as how it took 9 months to grade my last order, I am thinking this is the new normal now.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an order that was logged in on January 15, and I'm still waiting. I left a message for a callback, but at this point, I might be waiting a while. Oh well, I'll get them when I get them, and I'm OK with that.

• Options

@totallyradd said:
    I heard something like they are 1.5 Million cards behind because of their shutdown due to Covid?

That would be impressive to be that backed up from a 30 day shutdown since they have graded 81.5 Million in 30 years

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Covid hasn’t helped things, but let’s be real, it’s not like they were lightning fast before all this started or anything. Recent events have just made something that was already a problem, even worse.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@totallyradd said:
    I heard something like they are 1.5 Million cards behind because of their shutdown due to Covid?

That would be impressive to be that backed up from a 30 day shutdown since they have graded 81.5 Million in 30 years

Their volume has increased exponentially over the last 5-10 years

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@totallyradd said:

To the point that they are grading almost 20% of the total volume ever per year? The more power to them if that is true

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@totallyradd said:

To the point that they are grading almost 20% of the total volume ever per year? The more power to them if that is true

The Collectors Universe ticker hit 80,000,000 only a few weeks ago. I'd imagine that the 1.5M card mark isn't far from the truth. I would imagine that they receive 25,000 or more cards per day for grading submissions.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2020 8:47PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    ..............I've had one in Assembly for over a month without even getting the "Review Order" yet. It was one of those that skipped the Grading stage............

Same here.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    ..............I've had one in Assembly for over a month without even getting the "Review Order" yet. It was one of those that skipped the Grading stage............

Same here.

Ditto...Really getting Old!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Time is relative, depending on which side of the bathroom door you're on.

• Options

@1959 said:

When you get as Old as me, either side of the door is Problematic! :D:D:(

YeHah!

Neil

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

My own belief is a plastics shortage caused by the Covid19 pandemic interrupting the chain of supply.
    Happened with the Card Saver I ( and is still ongoing), and my belief is its happening now here
    This is a personal belief of course . If I see a hold up in assembly my first thought is no plastics to keep up with the overwhelming number of slabs being done

Of course since we are generally told nothing until well after the fact, we'll be left wondering :s

@1959 said:

Amen brother - tell it all , tell it all B)

• Options

@jeffv96masters said:
    My own belief is a plastics shortage caused by the Covid19 pandemic interrupting the chain of supply.
    Happened with the Card Saver I ( and is still ongoing), and my belief is its happening now here
    This is a personal belief of course . If I see a hold up in assembly my first thought is no plastics to keep up with the overwhelming number of slabs being done

Of course since we are generally told nothing until well after the fact, we'll be left wondering :s

That theory at least has some legs, I might just buy into that in the hope that all of sudden 10 C-130's land in S. Ca. from China, bringing 10 million Tall Boy Holders!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options

@AANV said:

@DBesse27 said:

@totallyradd said:

The Collectors Universe ticker hit 80,000,000 only a few weeks ago. I'd imagine that the 1.5M card mark isn't far from the truth. I would imagine that they receive 25,000 or more cards per day for grading submissions.

that ticker is all collectibles including coins. as of June 2019 , PSA had graded 33 million cards when the overall ticker hit 75 million

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2020 11:52PM

With all these horror stories I’m really starting to regret renewing my club membership after more than a year hiatus. I see now that regular service is now $20, more than double what it was when I left.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2020 9:01AM

Neil i for one and praying they send over that much stuff - maybe 100 shipping containers worth. CS1 costing double or triple what they used to is a huge wallet hit.

I do 5-10 "regular" priced service orders each month I can tell you its worth every nickel of that $20.25 I spend.
    Remarkably consistent with some stuff popping well before the "approximate" dates. The usual holiday slowness but yet to have one go beyond in quite a while and when it did I got compensation.
    Grading consistent and no complaints here.

And @ElvisP sure your thinking of "regular" level subs allowing up to $499 value ??

The "regular" levels been $20 for the last 3 years (2018) I checked my online subs
    I looked back on my subs the last 10 years not one is even close to that price.
    In 2014 it was $17 for "regular" price allowing up to $499 value.
    In 2010 was slightly less = so I am not sure when you did $10 "regular" level subs .

Maybe 2008 or prior ??

And for long timers see if you can guess the YEAR these PSA specials first were in effect .
    I'll give you 1 free grading for being right on the year= and 5 freebies if you can tell me the EXACT MONTHS it ran
    First 5 users who post the correct answer on year will win = as will the 1ST person who tells me the correct year/month
    Has me longing for 2010 again.

• Options

Morning,

That would be back in Our heyday...guessing 2008 May maybe, and when we did a Big Group sub I remember we would get a special rate of $5 card! I don't have access to my Old PM's or I'd be able to be spot on, cause I ran a lot of those group subs.

Those were the days

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:
    Morning,

That would be back in Our heyday...guessing 2008 May maybe, and when we did a Big Group sub I remember we would get a special rate of $5 card! I don't have access to my Old PM's or I'd be able to be spot on, cause I ran a lot of those group subs.

Those were the days

YeeHah!

Neil

Sounds about right. Those days have long passed. Much like 88 cent gasoline.

• Options

Way off Neil :D Another clue- was near 1st online sub time start

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Nov. 19th pack sub just made it to grading!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options

@JakeR2234 said:

I'm guessing Mr. Hart is feeling better.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@bobbyw8469 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

I'm guessing Mr. Hart is feeling better.

He has for a month now, thank heavens. Hopefully we all are safe and feeling well!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

QA2 for a full week now is a first. *Not complaining, just trying to jinx some grades out later today ;)

• Options

Still in assembly with a Jan. 18th log in date. Skipped right from research to assembly so I still haven't been able to check it for mistakes.

• Options

Orders are taking a while to get done

• Options

@nam812 said:
    Still in assembly with a Jan. 18th log in date. Skipped right from research to assembly so I still haven't been able to check it for mistakes.

I am at 120 business days minus however many business days they were closed because of the virus.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I have a normal bulk order entered 11/22 still in assembly. Smh.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

@ldferg said:

yikes

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@ldferg said:

yikes

YIKES, for sure!!!! I thought I read about sub pops after Thanksgiving a few weeks ago.

• Options

My 117 card basketball order moved to QA2 over the weekend. Might be a sign that grades will be ready in July!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@sayheywyo said:
    @ldferg said:

yikes

YIKES, for sure!!!! I thought I read about sub pops after Thanksgiving a few weeks ago.

Definitely the longest I've had to wait at PSA. My last BGS sub was 1 year....and they don't (or didn't) provide any updates. I had to call and verify my cards were still there. Very uneasy feeling. Regarding PSA, I'll ping their support line tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    17751775 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I have over 1300 cards in bulk orders that only 800 have even been logged in . With 700 more on the way. hope to have some back for Christmas! (That sure is a lot of grading fees!!!)