Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just for fun ---- post a 'Half Dime'

Comments

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to buy a half dime back for my use, Have tried but always get outbid by someone that wants it worse than I!

Ken
  • jomjom Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Only one I've ever owned. Unfortunately, I sold it to a forum member many years ago. :|

...and that forum member has since sold it as well. :(

jom

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

yosclimber, I am in awe of your numismatic scholarship. Great post on the '53 die varieties.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin Beautiful

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful example of the 1858 over inverted date!

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusted reverse

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 6:05AM

Oops- double posted one because I didn't realize this was a revival thread.

edited March 31, 2021 5:41AM

@HalfDimeDude said:
    1872 s mpd

The 1872-s V-3 is not only an MPD in the bottom of the skirt, but apparently an RPD as well (18 S).
    For awhile this was known as V-5, but the MPD is visible in Valentine's V-3 plate (left half of above photo array).

I had a lot of fun creating an attribution guide for the 1872-s varieties (free downloadable PDF).
    https://sites.google.com/view/clintcummins/half-dime-attribution-guide

Thanks for resurrecting this thread and sharing your varieties!

1837 V-1 (RPD 1837 SS), or possibly V-2. (Pointed top 1)

1837 V-5 rim cuds on right side (Flat top 1)

1837 varieties

Nice examples of the main varieties.

edited March 31, 2021 5:32AM

@oih82w8 said:
    Here is my 1849/6 H10C which was attributed as 1849/8 back in the day. This variety has had lots of changes and confusion in the past couple of years.

I remember the threads here where we discussed the confusion created by the different ways TPGs described the different overdates, and how Tom DeLorey was able to get them to agree and solve the confusion!

Here is my "one page" attribution guide, motivated by those discussions!
    Fortunately the 2 main overdates are easily identified from their reverse crack patterns.
    Yours is clearly the V-2 "9 / Far 6", because the crack through the right ribbon is easy to see.

@oih82w8 said:
    Here is my 1849/6 H10C which was attributed as 1849/8 back in the day. This variety has had lots of changes and confusion in the past couple of years.

As a variety collector I have quite a few H-10 varieties including most if not all of the 49 date varieties. My collection on Bust 1829 ~ 1837 is completed by date but not all die marriages.
    I am still searching for the marriges I dont have, as well any varieties.
    Seated series I have just about completed the date and mm set. Lacking the 1863~ 68 Philly and some 1840's P and o mints.
    I have all of the San fran mm for the date and mm set.
    Im guessing as I am not looking at my inventory my h~10 combined around 250+/- specimens .
    I have quite a few varieties in the seated series ,and love hunting them.
    Now as a cherry picker for almosr 5 decades my white whale is yes one of the easiest picks the 1858 inverted dates both varieties.
    I can tell you how many 58's my baby blues have scaned...I can tell you the hunt is still on!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file