Home U.S. Coin Forum

End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof (20XF) & Gold Proof Coin (20XE)

Comments

• American Eagle 2020 One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin is available

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    System updated at 6:37. AGE never came up for me

Same here

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

7:37 I saw 3 Mayflower gold reverse proofs and nothing else...

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

There was at least 1 UNC AGE

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never flipped for me

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK..I was all over the 7:37 refresh on multiple platforms and the AGE 75 never appeared.

They may well be done and gone now.

• jskillz95jskillz95 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Agree with the 0537 MST refresh. my wish items did not refresh. Uncirculated gold coin was gone by 0539 and mayflower gold reverse proof was down to 2 in stock

@Kliao said:

@jmlanzaf said:

There was at least 1 UNC AGE

I'm not watching those. Thanks

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

no ASE's came up

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not see the ASE flip at all.

The Mint has decided to refresh the AGE 75's at a different, different special time...WHOA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

@RichR said:
    The Mint has decided to refresh the AGE 75's at a different, different special time...WHOA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

It's their whole catalog update. I'm not sure why they are moving it around by a couple minutes. I mean, if they really want to make it hard to sit on the release, they should move it around by hours not minutes.

Then again, I really should find something better to do before class than sit here refreshing from 7:20 until 7:50. LOL

@ckeusa said:
    Thanks to everyone here for posting when the system updates. For those of us focused on one coin that rarely flips, we'd have no way of knowing and would keep refreshing all morning. Thank you; much appreciated.

Well, how can you know they don't appear a second time at 11:00 if you don't sit there and keep refreshing? ;)

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nada with the Mayflower 2 coin set...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

@RichR said:
    [[Then again, I really should find something better to do before class than sit here refreshing from 7:20 until 7:50. LOL]]

In 1985, I used to sit in my high school cafeteria SMOKING...with teachers who I knew...ALSO SMOKING and drinking coffee before classes started.

And this was an elite school and this was totally fine. In fact, we had a cigarette vending machine, the old type with the pull knobs, right there in the cafeteria!

How times have changed.

When I went to college, we used to drink with the teachers. The 1st year orientation had school-supplied beer and wine. Today, they won't even let the faculty drink on campus.

And no smoking within 100 feet of the buildings.

You are right. Times have changed.

@ECHOES said:

I do wonder whether there is some deal because of the UK joint issue. Very unusual for NONE to ever turn up.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 6:10AM

None?
    Didnt the Gold set shows up once in a while?

edited November 23, 2020 6:00AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ECHOES said:

I do wonder whether there is some deal because of the UK joint issue. Very unusual for NONE to ever turn up.

Well, I can be patient with this one, I can wait until prices stabilize and purchase on secondary market.

Edit, My own fault, didn't try to purchase on first day of issue...

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    does the "great collections" auction make these coins more valuable somehow. the gold v75 pf70 sold for less on Ebay the other day and the silver definitely higher than I thought it would go for. even more incentive for tomorrow morning's chase. see you all at 4:30 am

Great Collections has a "great" following. That drives prices and their services are excellent.

@Sweetpie said:
    None?

yes. True.

I don't know. Maybe they really did sell out. But the UK still had silver available but not gold. Maybe they can't release the silver until the UK was out???

Just wild ass speculation.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sweetpie said:
    None?

yes. True.

I don't know. Maybe they really did sell out. But the UK still had silver available but not gold. Maybe they can't release the silver until the UK was out???

Just wild ass speculation.

You might be on to something here...

@DCW said:
    $2400 for the silver and $19,000 for the gold! Absurd.
    I hate to sound negative, but I simply cannot imagine either one of these "special" coins retaining even 50% of their current value in a year's time. We've seen this over and over with the latest and greatest mint product.
    I missed the gold like most of you, but if I had gotten one it would surely be sold before I even took delivery. That is a whole lot of profit to put into other coins that would be otherwise out of reach.
    Just something to think about.
    I do realize that collector tastes vary, and to each his own, etc. Even though I cant relate, I admire those of you that battled to place your orders and will now hang onto these for your own collections.

I agree.

It is a bit harder to get a sense on the gold. I'm not sure how many people collect proof AGE's by variety, but they've only sold 5,800 1 oz proof gold + 8,200 4 coin proof gold sets. So 1945 is small, but not ridiculously small. But it is small enough that it is hard to find a comp.

The ASE is stupid money. And there are comps. 75,000 is not that scarce for an ASE. There are a couple of them that have mintages of 100,000: 2011 Reverse Proof which is a $400 coin (PCGS 70); 2019-W ERP (Pride of 2 nations) which is a $200-$250 coin (PCGS 70); 2011-S Uncirculated which is a $250 coin (PCGS 70).

Then you have the 2019-S ERP at 30,000 which is only a $1500-$2000 coin (PCGS 70).

So, at 75,000 the V75 silver eagle should be closer to $250 than $2500.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:

does the "great collections" auction make these coins more valuable somehow. the gold v75 pf70 sold for less on Ebay the other day and the silver definitely higher than I thought it would go for. even more incentive for tomorrow morning's chase. see you all at 4:30 am

Au, with BP, is close to the APMEX price (i.e., $19,125.00 @ GC vs. $18,995.00 @ APMEX).
    Link: https://www.apmex.com/product/224880/2020-w-1-oz-proof-american-gold-eagle-pr-70-pcgs-fdi-v75-privy

Ag, with BP, is approximately $1,000 more than APMEX (i.e., $2,418.75 @ GC vs. $1,395.00 @ APMEX).
    Link: https://www.apmex.com/product/224886/2020-w-proof-american-silver-eagle-pr-70-pcgs-fdi-v75-privy

I do not understand the Ag either. Would have expected APMEX availability to establish a 'ceiling' on the bidding.

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only two easy payments of $9998 for the V75 gold on tv (not sure of the name of the show selling coins on tv). lol

• foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

It's easy to get caught up in the wow buying club offer, wow bst offer, wow eBay price, wow eBay 70 price, wow GC 70 price, and on. It's more about being early to reach each market's unique audience with a particular product at a specific moment. A small number of coins selling at a price on a platform at a fixed moment in time is not a definite indicator of a stable price or the returns others can realistically chase. That ASE is more akin to early technology adopters getting in a bidding war and overpaying to be the first with the latest shiny.

edited November 23, 2020 8:43AM

A nice Unc. 1911-D quarter eagle comes right to mind! I've been staring at that particular hole for 10 years!

Nice clean 1879-CC and 1893-CC Morgans are also on that shortlist.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a thought...

Since the mint uses Eastern Time as their standard timezone, if people are posting times from other zones could they at the very least tell us what time zone they are in?

It gets very confusing at times.

0630 CST FOR ME...> @JBK said:

Just a thought...

Since the mint uses Eastern Time as their standard timezone, if people are posting times from other zones could they at the very least tell us what time zone they are in?

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Just a thought...

I have never tried for these because I am in PST and my understanding is these normally happen 7:30ish EST. Which would be 4:30 for me.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Just a thought...

Oh ya. It’s 6:30CST for me

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

[[Since the mint uses Eastern Time as their standard timezone, if people are posting times from other zones could they at the very least tell us what time zone they are in?]]

You mean any other time zones matter???
    :)

• jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I used to be able to see what a "Best Buy Offer" offer sold on Ebay for using WatchCount.com This tool appears to me not to display the real price sold for an item anymore. Is there a different tool that one can use?

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 10:56AM

Whether you agree or not, GC and eBay had 2 different coins for sale. Ebay had a more common First Strike example that fetched $15,600 and after fees netted the seller around $14,750. GC had the more sought after First Day coin for sale and it netted that consignor $17,000. Hence, a real cash difference of $2,250 between the labels. I would not be surprised to see these labels carry about a $1,000-$2,000 price difference moving forward so the 2 sales were actually very close to each other all things being considered.

I thought each gold sale was “lighter” than I expected (and, hence, I am readjusting my personal valuations for each coin). As I said before, I thought the price realized on the silver at GC was spectacular.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • jskillz95jskillz95 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Jerseyralph,

I use a site called 130point and then hit the sales tab. will allow you to put in the ebay listing to see the Best Offer Accepted Price.

https://130point.com/sales/

• valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I thought each gold sale was “lighter” than I expected (and, hence, I am readjusting my personal valuations for each coin). As I said before, I thought the price realized on the silver at GC was spectacular.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Just one thing I've been wondering... do you think eBay in particular might be overloaded with coins for sale that aren't in hand yet, and may never get in hand by the sellers, and just the law of supply and demand is keeping prices down on there until these listings dry up? Just wondering what percent of the coins are already in hands of collectors, and off the market, and once the listings reflect this, the prices also will rise further.

@wondercoin said:
    Whether you agree or not, GC and eBay had 2 different coins for sale. Ebay had a more common First Strike example that fetched $15,600 and after fees netted the seller around $14,750. GC had the more sought after First Day coin for sale and it netted that consignor $17,000. Hence, a real cash difference of $2,250 between the labels. I would not be surprised to see these labels carry about a $1,000-$2,000 price difference moving forward so the 2 sales were actually very close to each other all things being considered.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

I still have a hard time understanding so much premium and premium difference for a label. I have read the FS requirements on the PCGS site but I can't find the FDOI information. What makes one more special than the other?

@pointfivezero said:

@blu62vette said:

@JBK said:
    Just a thought...

I have never tried for these because I am in PST and my understanding is these normally happen 7:30ish EST. Which would be 4:30 for me.

While we are on the subject, I believe these secondary Mint release times are definitely skewed towards the East Coast customers. As a California resident, I drug myself out of bed at 4:15 AM on November 6th and gave it the college try with similar results to most everyone else (nada).

I was informed by my spouse any further 4:30 AM attempts would result in a long, cold and lonely winter.

Not if you pick up a new spouse... :o

For those that have studied and followed the sale prices this whole time on the different venues. What is the best return on your money? I know it is all about timing and for those of us a couple weeks late in getting them in our hands we have to deal with the hand dealt. I had initially figured to submit on my own, hope for 70s and keep one and flip one for cost recovery. It is not cheap to submit and it will probably take a few extra weeks of "time" to get back for selling. Is one better off to sell a graded one later or a sealed box now? I know this is all speculation and a crap shoot but what are guys doing for best return?

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@pointfivezero said:

@blu62vette said:

@JBK said:
    Just a thought...

While we are on the subject, I believe these secondary Mint release times are definitely skewed towards the East Coast customers. As a California resident, I drug myself out of bed at 4:15 AM on November 6th and gave it the college try with similar results to most everyone else (nada).

I was informed by my spouse any further 4:30 AM attempts would result in a long, cold and lonely winter.

Not if you pick up a new spouse... :o

Cheaper to keep her......

Valente151... that is the “$64,000” question.

I know one or two folks who defied the odds, won a coin for $2600, won the grading game and got a 70 grade and they are looking to cash in their chips. Others who lost the grading game may now have a 69 coin worth equal or a bit less than their sealed coin was worth. They are also looking to cash in their chips. They enjoyed close to a 4000%-5000%+ annualized return on their $2600 spent. Is there a sound reason of turning a 4000%-5000%+ annualized return in hand now into a 1000% annualized return by holding the coin much, much longer to squeeze out a few thousand dollars extra? But, at the same time risking much of the 4000%-5000%+ annualized return in the process if prices go the other way or a lot of time passes? I welcome the pro gamblers to chime in here. 😝

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

“I still have a hard time understanding so much premium and premium difference for a label. I have read the FS requirements on the PCGS site but I can't find the FDOI information. What makes one more special than the other?”

Batman23... FDI inserts require extra steps to secure them from PCGS and most importantly, have a cut off date on when no additional coins can be graded FDI (which has passed). FS has the longer (30) day cutoff, but can be graded, in theory, forever if PCGS is presented a sealed box. Historically, the FDI has brought a higher price than FS in most cases. The price differences vary greatly from series to series.

But, don’t quote me on any of this! 😆

Wondercoin

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told the fDOI was for dealers only

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blu62vette said:

@JBK said:
    Just a thought...

I thought you got the gold, you had a picture of one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file