Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you been productive while we are in Isolation

KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 16, 2020 7:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’ve tried to take advantage of this time off to become a better person to improve some skills and to financially secure my future so I’m grateful for the time off although I pray for those that have lost loved ones have you done anything different in during this time. And do you feel institutionalized meaning that the isolation is creating a state of depression or some other issues with you

I have opened a business, donated to a lot of causes. Helped disabled and mentally challenged. Upgraded my Tech knowledge got certified as a authorized buyer in precious metals, built a dark room in my office, lost 7 lbs and started a Utube channel. Gain thousands of friends and follower attended 45 Zoom meetings and just booked a 2,100 audience demonstration on wealth strategies. And Go

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't been in isolation. Working on a federal contract, with a deadline to meet.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 7:59AM

With trying to home school three small kids while my wife works at the hospital in intensive care unit and on top of that try to somehow keep my shut down dental offices from going bankrupt, there has been very little time to accomplish anything. In all honesty probably the worst 4 weeks of my life and looking at another 4+ weeks of this.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

What isolation? Have been working.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    I’ve tried to take advantage of this time off to become a better person to improve some skills and to financially secure my future so I’m grateful for the time off although I pray for those that have lost loved ones have you done anything different in during this time. And do you feel institutionalized meaning that the isolation is creating a state of depression or some other issues with you

I have opened a business, donated to a lot of causes. Helped disabled and mentally challenged. Upgraded my Tech knowledge got certified as a authorized buyer in precious metals, built a dark room in my office, lost 7 lbs and started a Utube channel. Gain thousands of friends and follower attended 45 Zoom meetings and just booked a 2,100 audience demonstration on wealth strategies. And Go

Sounds like you are on the right path ... good for you!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cleaned out my boxes of non-superfluous miscellaneous numismatic paraphernalia and listed a bunch of it on eBay. I also cleaned out and organized my kitchen pantry, which made the wife very happy.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Organising collection and images of said collection. Going through and finding stuff I forgot about which is actually kind of fun.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Working on my own health, bought some books on ancient Roman/Greek coinage to study, taking a look at world--mostly British Colonial--coins. Staying in touch here as well as at home with dealers and collector friends. Denver's big May show has been cancelled.

And just being polite to anyone and everyone one from delivery folks to calls, emails, and texts. Taking time.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing some golf and eating too much, so no not really.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 11:07AM

Way, way more productive than normal as fishing has been closed for a month now.

Busy strengthening up the business and diversifying my assets.

Cleaned the garage, pulled a ton of weeds, planted weed, trimmed bonsais, worked on my strawberry farm :p

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

I have actually been busier than normal with school work and other tasks. I have even had to take a short break from my numismatic writing until the end of this semester.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 12:11PM

Waiting for some snow to melt, then off to the mountains for bear season. May go fishing too. Amazing how many cars are in the fishing access lots now. When it was nice last week, people were all over the place.

I think many are very tired of being inside and want to get out.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been working all along, so life isn't all that different.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:

every day

!> @asheland said:

Ken
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

I operate a home based business and its not too different for me. Lots of buyers and I have 60 days of inventory just working more as we are in lock down in my state.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 12:36PM

@bearcave said:
    __> @ErrorsOnCoins said:

Way, way more productive than normal as fishing has been closed for a month now.

Cleaned the garage, pulled a ton of weeds,_ planted weed_, trimmed bonsais, worked on my strawberry farm :p

???

Ya you read that right :)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m still working as well, but my days off are very productive since we really can’t go anywhere.
    Did a lot of painting, cleaned out the basement and my lawn is looking the best it ever has.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2020 12:52PM
    Ken
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

Jeesh! How rude. ;)

I've been busy almost since birth and haven't accomplished so much. Actually I've taken this whole thing as an excuse to take virtual-vacation. I get a few hours work in almost every day.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might add that I've never been paid for a job or done a job I didn't consider "essential". I'm retired now though and have plenty of essential jobs here to keep me busy for at least another century. I doubt the devil will wait for me though. Odds are good nobody is going to do them like me (or at all) when I'm gone so the question becomes what is essential.

I guess the answer is and always has been to have fun and leave the world a better place. I've been concentrating on having fun.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:

Same. My wife is even busier with our child not able to go to preschool.

• Options

Ken
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 3:44AM

It seems like all I did was take an extended spring break and watch "Tiger King" :)

But actually we did finish this in March:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1035720/top-100-seated-half-dime-varieties-list-and-112-page-pdf

And I have been working on a nonlinear statistics problem (Multinomial Logit with Quasi-Complete Separation).
    My solution is working pretty well, and it's something I have wanted to do for more than 10 years.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought and sold silver and gold, and some nickels in between.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, the Tiger King montage is a direct result of the long-before Kenny Powers skills.

https://youtu.be/vSFO28s15wc

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear things are gong well for you. I read on a rock the other day that rainbows come from clouds. :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing more biking,walking, board games. Really miss the closing of the local library and movie theaters.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Doing more biking,walking, board games. Really miss the closing of the local library and movie theaters.

Yes....the library is sorely missed by me as well as by my granddaughter.
    We spent most of our Thursday mornings there.
    It is such a pleasure to have a great local library and our small town has a good one with helpful nice people, as well as lots of activities for the little ones.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

@1Mike1 said:

every day

!> @asheland said:

5 or 9 days in a row depending on the week. The state mandates if water goes to the river it must be monitored 24 hours a day 365. There's is no stopping. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

I bet there is no stopping. Some people are essential and we work our shift whether we want to or not.

Ken
  • Options

@fishteeth said:
    With trying to home school three small kids while my wife works at the hospital in intensive care unit and on top of that try to somehow keep my shut down dental offices from going bankrupt, there has been very little time to accomplish anything. In all honesty probably the worst 4 weeks of my life and looking at another 4+ weeks of this.

I am sorry to hear of your homeschool issues and all the pressure if you want DM me and I can help you get started with the financial pressures. My sister at home working and teaching her Twins in Yorktown , NY. Not easy and the assignment are 6 a day online. My son was in ICU for 3 days and almost died. He was not infected but had other medical issue due to a rehab relapse. I will pray for better things to come for your family.

Love,
    Kathy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@bearcave said:
    I bet there is no stopping. Some people are essential and we work our shift whether we want to or not.

Hang in there and I hope your getting paid. I was/am unemployed but cannot get in state system to file. Not that 275 covers even the utilities but pray for your situation to be better soon.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

Same here

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    I haven't done anything. Except maybe put on 10 pounds or so.

Sorry about that I lost 12 lbs so far and want to lose a little more as my Police Officer Daughter is getting married Oct 24 and I’m booked to be in NY end of May for dress fitting.

Kathy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Two words:
    Netflix, Prime.

Tic Tock hope your ready for the financial impact coming as that 1965 dollar now worth about 5 cent is not gonna get better if your not in metals while the Iron is hot you must strick or get struck.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Cleaned the garage, pulled a ton of weeds, planted weed, trimmed bonsais, worked on my strawberry farm :p

Your awesome. Fantastic. Your on the right track. My access to direct pricing right now is such a blessing and has saved me in so many ways.

Excellent

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl....You are a powerhouse of activity... sorry to hear about your son, hope he is recovering well.
    My 'work' has been shut down, (I am retired, but always liked having a job, even part time), so, odd jobs getting attention, wife and I talk and laugh a lot together....Definitely not watching TV, never was a couch potato...Trying to get to outside projects, but rain and still a bit cold (27 degrees this morning). Cheers, RickO

• Options

@TurboSnail said:
    Trying to be a better person, but it hurts my wallet A LOT. :'(

I asked my connection to smuggle some emergency supplies out of Taiwan a while back. The shipping fee along costed me around $300. But I only have one box of masks and gloves left since I was dropping them off in front of houses of old folks in my neighborhood for free even before mask was required in public places.

And I also pick up the grocery and medication for them. Although everyone tried to pay me back including gas etc. But little do they know, most of the food they received had already went up double or triple in price while I was still charging them the same old price. The same amount of food I bought each trip during last month was around $400. But today it was closed to$900, not to mention an hour of waiting outside of the store, an hour at the meat department and another hour on line to pay.

Going back out 6:30 AM tomorrow morning to a CVS in Long Island since they open at 7. My source told me they would have a delivery of hand sanitizer .

Thank you for being that guy. I give you a cape and a key to my kingdom of love and sacrifice. Let me know if I can do better. My 1200 fiat currency hit my account and just in time to help stand up a few members with 7k found a few struggling family. DM me if you want. Kathy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@bearcave said:

Everyone is essential each life all the truckers I feel lonely cry and working very hard standing up and helping as I can. Others like you perhaps need a break and a big hug. Essential is in the eye of beholder. My parents consider me essential so I hope this no contact an such ends soon. No interviews no touching has made me push harder longer and it’s more a metal challenge then anything. I am Glad I have not wasted a minute as the shut down comes to an end I will be prepared for the financial impact that will shock manny as they do not know this is a global financial reset that we and others will never forget.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@dcarr said:
    Somewhat. I still have my minting business to run. Day to day it hasn't really been all that different compared to pre-virus.

But in addition to the government telling us to stay home, today we also have Mother Nature also telling us not to go out.
    I just now took this picture out my office window (through the screen) (Thursday 16 April 2020, 3:30 PM MDT):

I have a few of your works in my bag to send to host for grading. Would love signature cards from you as then I can really look good. Glad to hear your making more wonderful items. DM me if you need a groupie hanging around or have tine to do a Zoom Confrence live event with me.

Your work inspired us all

Kathy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

This discussion has been closed.