Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE - GOOD NEWS: Need some advice on USPS claim

2»

Comments

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

Dan did a really great job with this. It was mind boggling that even their gps said not delivered, and they still denied the initial claims.

Im not a lawyer, but maybe someone reading this thinks this is poor ethics and would like to follow up?

Anyway, at least our moneys is protected. Although, I still hang on to hope that the coins will surface somewhere, at some time.

~Drew

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2020 4:33AM

Hmmm...not sure if it was Laurel but it was close where my registered package was stolen by a postal employee who was just paroled recently(Yeah she got caught!). I hope she didn't get her old job back!

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so happy for you and glad you found a competent caring person! She deserves something not sure what maybe a quick call to her boss to let them know how great she was. But that begs the question on who stole the dang package in the first place that person is still out there stealing other 📦 packages. :(

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a hassle, Dan. But I am glad you were make whole in the end.

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad there was a solid resolution, even after all the hoops.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing. So frustrating that you have to go to such lengths for the Postal Service to competently honor their commitments. I have had one package stolen, a $7000 coin and never got closure from the PO. I still keep that coin in my registry on the off chance that it isn't cracked or melted and someone ends up adding it.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your synopsis should be its own thread with a sticky so we can find it someday when needed. Like you said to me, I think it definitely makes a case for using Registered for anything of value. Thanks for sharing...

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:
    Your synopsis should be its own thread with a sticky so we can find it someday when needed. Like you said to me, I think it definitely makes a case for using Registered for anything of value. Thanks for sharing...

Completely agree!

Thanks Dan for such a detailed report on the process you went through, and I am really happy for the final outcome!
    bookmarking this thread in case I ever need it (hope not!).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan.... Glad to see the positive outcome....but sorry the coin has not been recovered. I hope you have a method to leave positive feedback for that person that helped so much. Good to know there is such a resource in the Postal empire. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2020 7:51AM

somehow I do not understand this and the delivery of a signature required mail must be different in the USA than in most other countries.
    In Canada, Germany , Switzerland and many other countries, an Identification must be shown by the recipient either to the Mail person at the door or when picking it up t the respective post office. Nobody else can sign for it.
    Just think, it could be a subpoena or other time sensitive mail directed at that one person only.
    Something's not right with the USPS if they just ignore all that stuff.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    somehow I do not understand this and the delivery of a signature required mail must be different in the USA than in most other countries.
    In Canada, Germany , Switzerland and many other countries, an Identification must be shown by the recipient either to the Mail person at the door or when picking it up t the respective post office. Nobody else can sign for it.
    Just think, it could be a subpoena or other time sensitive mail directed at that one person only.
    Something's not right with the USPS if they just ignore all that stuff.

That is how it is supposed to be.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan and @Boosibri did either of you let PCGS (or NGC depending on the TPG) know that your coin(s) were stolen? They can mark it in their system in case it ever resurfaces.

Thanks for the update and glad you received a relatively positive outcome.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story. I am so happy that got your money back

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

interesting read. Glad you were persistent enough to be successful.

Some thoughts on my part.

1. I suspect they have some clerk wherever you set your initial claim whose mission it is to deny everything that comes in. this is just a suspicion on my part and I have no way of substantiating that. Since the decision to deny was made relatively quickly, this would seem to be a logical conclusion. No doubt a substantial portion of denials never get further processed/appealed by the person who lost money.

2. I have heard of others who had a similar experience. It would seem that given the premium paid for the insurance, this must be quite a moneymaker for the post office. I wonder what the statistics may be for insurance premium received versus claims paid.

3. I wonder what the cost is for private insurance is as compared to the cost at the post office. Would private insurance be available to a casual sender as opposed to a business who routinely/frequently sends coins?

4. Has anyone had similar problems with private insurance? If so, please share in a separate thread.

5, I too live in a complex with approximately 45 condominiums. We have a centralized location for mail, and a box system. occasionally the post office carrier will put a letter in my box that belongs to someone else or my mail into someone else's box. So far, nothing of value. If it were to be a priority Mail package, with tracking, no doubt it would show as having been delivered. Also, the GPS might not be of assistance as the boxes are right next to each other.

1. I have previously suggested on other threads and sending points in the mail, do not include the word coin, numismatics, bullion, or similar in any return address or addressee on the envelope/package. If it's AB coin company, simply say AB company. No point in telling the thief to come steal me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file