Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your contemporary counterfeits

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

1776-Mo PR 2 Reales. Of course there is no such assayers as "P.R". The correct assayer combination would have been "F.M"

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weight: 10.1 gm (should be closer to 12.5 gm)

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Micro-O variety. Struck on a sterling silver planchet, but its weight is spot on for a genuine Morgan.

Any idea why a contemporary counterfeit Morgan$ would be struck from Sterling silver??
    Doesn't quite add up..they would almost certainly be made from a base metal and silver washed...
    🤔

• Options

That is an excellent question, one that occurred to me. This is an issue that surfaces for the family of counterfeit micro-O Morgans. Maybe they were made to launder money or stolen silver goods?

• Options

1883 NC nickel, altered with gold plating (some remains) and then reeded to be passed as a half eagle.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "Morgan":

• Options

There are a few in this drawer.
    I'll take pics when I get home..

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Obverse . . . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Micro-O variety. Struck on a sterling silver planchet, but its weight is spot on for a genuine Morgan.

Technically, that one is not a "micro-o". But it is related to the "micro-o" family of vintage counterfeits because it was probably made by the same entity. It appears to be a VAM-13.

• Options

Counterfeit. Davignon 3-C

• Options
    edited March 25, 2020 3:45PM

@dcarr said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Technically, that one is not a "micro-o". But it is related to the "micro-o" family of vintage counterfeits because it was probably made by the same entity. It appears to be a VAM-13.

I agree (with both points).

• Options

RKKay,
    Do you have any idea who might have made your electrotypes? Were their seams well-smoothed, or still evident?

• Options

@DRUNNER said:

Perhaps the most widely known of all-time, but so common they won't command a lot of premium respect . . . the "Henning"

A set of the various Henning counterfeit nickels would (hint....).

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found an 1853 gold dollar that is similar to the 1852 2 1/2 that was posted earlier in the thread

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    RKKay,
    Do you have any idea who might have made your electrotypes? Were their seams well-smoothed, or still evident?

I have no idea who made them. I don't recall if the scrawny eagle has a readily apparent seam. It is in an ICG slab noting that it is not genuine. The 1854 is pretty well smoothed over.

• Options

@RKKay said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    RKKay,

I have no idea who made them. I don't recall if the scrawny eagle has a readily apparent seam. It is in an ICG slab noting that it is not genuine. The 1854 is pretty well smoothed over.

@RKKay said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    RKKay,

The reason why I asked is because the host coins were patterns, and this might allow one to guess who owned them (based on studying plates in old auction catalogs) and possibly who might have made the electrotypes.

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@RKKay said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    RKKay,

@RKKay said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    RKKay,

The reason why I asked is because the host coins were patterns, and this might allow one to guess who owned them (based on studying plates in old auction catalogs) and possibly who might have made the electrotypes.

Sorry. I have no idea. I just thought they were cool and went no further. Are you studying fake patterns?

• Options

I have an interest in antique electrotypes (U. S. and British coins, the technology, and appearances in numismatic literature).

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is counterfeit. Not sure how old, probably a modern Chinese counterfeit.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    edited March 25, 2020 6:02PM

1721 9 deniers. Referred to as a 'Louisiana Copper' in some 19th century auction catalogs, due to circulation in the Midwest. This piece, now raw, was removed from a PCGS slab (EF grade, deemed genuine). It is actually a deceptively well-made electrotype.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Micro-O Morgan counterfeits were monetary counterfeits, likely made in the early to mid 1930s when silver was about 25c an ounce. The higher percentage of silver, ie near or at sterling was likely due to not being able to adequately refine the silver with the equipment the forgers had. The great majority of the Micro-O coins are well circulated - as though they were aged/worn in tumblers or drums to give them the look of having circulated. As opposed to the Henning nickels which the Secret Service is said of have opinned that it likely cost Henning more to make than he benefited from them - ie he lost money - the Micro-O's are good enough that they fooled people for over half a century.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contemporary Chinese counterfeit of a Netherlands Ducaton, nonsense date and legends. Chopmarked. Difficult to pin down a date of manufacture, anywhere from the 18th-19th centuries. “Imitation dollars” were made at Canton by individuals with permission of the officials. It is said that the Provincial Treasurer once ordered the silversmiths to make dollar pieces “like those made by the foreigners” in Ch’ien-lung’s reign (1735-1795). This order caused trouble. Profit led the silversmiths to use more alloy until they got to mixing five parts of alloy with eight parts silver. The result was that these coins soon depreciated in the market and subsequently orders were issued to prohibit private coining.

• Options

That one is very cool 👆

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2020 8:00AM

Wrong thread....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Carr:

Your 1896-O VAM 4 Morgan is... well... "incredible, amazing, jaw-dropping" doesn't come close to my reaction when I saw it. I've owned and examined many micro-Os for over 20 years, and some of them in high grades, but I've never seen one that comes remotely close to yours. I would very much love to hear about it.

-- Dennis

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both said to be mint made - purchased from JK.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a counterfeit Morgan....I picked it up at a local antique shop...heavily discounted when I pointed out the fact that there were NO 1902CC Morgans...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 27, 2020 12:27PM

The Henning is one of several I own.

And then there is this 50-55 year old creation, apparently cast in lead or some kind of pot metal

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

One I found the other day whilst organising my collection. This is a 1950 apparently cast in lead and then chrome plated.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Any idea why a contemporary counterfeit Morgan$ would be struck from Sterling silver??
    Doesn't quite add up..they would almost certainly be made from a base metal and silver washed...
    🤔

This should explain it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Mr. Eureka,
    That plot only offers part of a convincing explanation. Silver fell after WWI (relative to 1900) and didn't recover until midway into WWII. The counterfeiters did not lose money by using sterling silver, but they left plenty on the table. Why did they do that? Because they didn't want to have to refine scrap sterling silver? Was this issue a question of small numbers of blanks needed (driving up refining costs) or were the counterfeit dollars part of a money-laundering scheme? There are unanswered questions, in my opinion.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if you could do a 7070 of contemporary counterfeits. Early copper and silver might be more scare that the real coins themselves

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

This is a contemporary counterfeit half once owned by my great grandfather, a Civil War veteran. It is made of lead and is lighter than the real thing. Images by Gerry Fortin and listed in the LSCC Contemporary Counterfeit archives.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Wonder if you could do a 7070 of contemporary counterfeits. Early copper and silver might be more scare that the real coins themselves

I have given some thought to doing just that. I think that recent coins would be the real problems.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file