Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone want to share their new purchases?

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest I have a couple of Mickey Mantle items left but that’s about it. Primarily focus on coins now. I did well when I sold them but I would have really cleaned up if I held on a while longer. About a year ago, I looked up some of the cards I had and what they’re selling for. Some of them blew my mind!

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 that is for sure! I kind of regret not getting a basic red back T206 Cobb (let alone a green) back when they were more affordable, but ah well, happy to have what I have. I still split time/interest pretty evenly amongst cards and coins. Glad you have some Mick items still and you are for sure doing very well with your coin selections! :smile:

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Just got this back from PCGS. B)

Seems odd not to have QE on there after so many years of her reign. That is a very well-done new likeness of Charles!

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    Just arrived from Heritage

How did this get a straight grade?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:

@asheland said:
    Just got this back from PCGS. B)

Seems odd not to have QE on there after so many years of her reign. That is a very well-done new likeness of Charles!

Indeed, it’s a very realistic portrait, a very well done coin! And, they did a Queen Elizabeth sovereign, right after she passed away with Charles on the obverse without the crown, it was a memorial sovereign that’s dated 2022

They are fun coins to collect! 👍

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AndyK wow! A lot to like about that one.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 1:55AM

@Raybo said:

@lermish said:

Agree. It looks like it's been lightly cleaned. That said, I sure wouldn't mind owning it. B)<3

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AndyK, excellent looking dollar pattern. Works well in the OGH and CAC!

• Options

@lermish said:

@Raybo said:

@lermish said:

Thank you very much, I appreciate your enthusiasm for my new purchase! Really kind of you! And absolutely the perfect thread to criticize someone's new (and not particularly inexpensive) purchase.

The wear is honest. There was probably a cleaning at some point 25-200 years ago. As for the porosity, planchet quality was not the best, the coin circulated for a long time, and it's 225 years old. And it's a 10, not an XF or AU coin. What is your problem with it?

And also, looking at your discussion history, it looks like you purchased new glasses in 2019. Perhaps it's time for another pair?

I actually got new glasses this past June (2023) and my ophthalmologist said my vision is 20/20.
    Your coin is "probably" not cleaned, it is defiantly cleaned but I would still like to own it.
    Congratulations on your purchase!

• Options

@lermish said:

@Raybo said:

@lermish said:

Thank you very much, I appreciate your enthusiasm for my new purchase! Really kind of you! And absolutely the perfect thread to criticize someone's new (and not particularly inexpensive) purchase.

The wear is honest. There was probably a cleaning at some point 25-200 years ago. As for the porosity, planchet quality was not the best, the coin circulated for a long time, and it's 225 years old. And it's a 10, not an XF or AU coin. What is your problem with it?

And also, looking at your discussion history, it looks like you purchased new glasses in 2019. Perhaps it's time for another pair?

I never criticized your shortcomings whatever they may be (like you did with my vision) so you made me do some digging.
    My original comment about "how did this straight grade" was just that, the coin seemed to be scrubbed beyond cleaned, I never mentioned your choice just the grade assigned.

I might get banned for this but I have to vent.

You paid more than PCGS price guide for the coin (lucky you that it straight graded) that means you paid way more than Greysheet ($3800 or so?)

How much do you want for your coin now lermish?

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:

@lermish said:

@Raybo said:

@lermish said:

I never criticized your shortcomings whatever they may be (like you did with my vision) so you made me do some digging.
    My original comment about "how did this straight grade" was just that, the coin seemed to be scrubbed beyond cleaned, I never mentioned your choice just the grade assigned.

I might get banned for this but I have to vent.

You paid more than PCGS price guide for the coin (lucky you that it straight graded) that means you paid way more than Greysheet ($3800 or so?)

How much do you want for your coin now lermish?

It's not for sale and I've been hunting for one of these for quite a while... Do you think I can't read a price sheet? Good luck finding anything halfway this decent for under 5k. Go find it for me and I'll give you a finder's fee.

And my issue wasn't with your comment, clearly I know that it's been cleaned at some point, I mentioned it. My issue is that this thread is for people to show off their new purchases, not for random people to come in and criticize those purchases, especially random people who haven't seen the coin in hand.

• Options

How about $9000?

• Options

You mentioned the cleaning after I did.

• Options

@lermish said:

Your OP

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 9:30PM

@Raybo said:
    You mentioned the cleaning after I did.

You didn't mention cleaning at all. See below. Give it a rest, you're both wrong and being an enormous turd.

• Options

I'm not blabbering, you paid $6000 for your coin and now you want $9000 (for your cleaned coin), good luck.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    My coin is not for sale. Perhaps you've never won an auction, heritage puts those up automatically.

This is true, although you can turn it off so it doesn't automatically put your coin up for sale.

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@lermish said:
    My coin is not for sale. Perhaps you've never won an auction, heritage puts those up automatically.

This is true, although you can turn it off so it doesn't automatically put your coin up for sale.

It would be much nicer if you had to opt in to have offers on your items instead of them automatically doing it and making you opt out.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@humanssuck said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@lermish said:

It would be much nicer if you had to opt in to have offers on your items instead of them automatically doing it and making you opt out.

Sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file