Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone want to share their new purchases?

Comments

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:

I haven't collected coins since my youth (I'm 55 now), but I've always had a fondness for them. Three years ago, I helped heirs open the safe of their recently-deceased aunt and discovered a magnificent collection of coins, including hundreds of Morgan/Peace dollars. There were the first seven of the Carson City Morgan series in that stash, and I've been thinking of them ever since.

Last week, I started my Carson City collection with the purchase of these three coins from three different online sellers. Being inexperienced, I'm hoping that they are all legit. Lol!

You certainly chose the right dates and the grades are right where the strong market is. The 79-CC looks particularly nice, at least the obverse. The only issue might be that PCGS might have been liberal in the 35 (as opposed to say 25) on the other two. Different sellers have different photo quality and different dates have different striking characteristics though. It will be tough to get some of the other CCs (like 81-CC and 85-CC) in a matching grade. Many do not appreciate just how rare they are. Most of the 81 to 85 dates are from the Treasury bags and the circs are as rare as they were before that release.

• Options
    M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 137 ✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    Welcome to the forum @M4Madness . The certification numbers on the slabs of your three coins all check out as ok. The '93 has a TrueView image associated with it as well, it's below for you.

Thank you for the welcome! Yeah, I'd ran all three barcode numbers through the PCGS app before purchase, then read about people copying those and got myself all worried. Lol! I knew the 1893 had photos, since I found them in the app. I'm seriously thinking of buying the other 10 CC's in PCGS NFC holders just for peace of mind, even if I have to pay a little more over traditional holders.

I don't know how accurate the PCGS Price Guide is, but I got these three coins for right at 20% below their PCGS prices in the app. That still may be too much! Lol!

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:

@Cladiator said:
    Welcome to the forum @M4Madness . The certification numbers on the slabs of your three coins all check out as ok. The '93 has a TrueView image associated with it as well, it's below for you.

Thank you for the welcome! Yeah, I'd ran all three barcode numbers through the PCGS app before purchase, then read about people copying those and got myself all worried. Lol! I knew the 1893 had photos, since I found them in the app. I'm seriously thinking of buying the other 10 CC's in PCGS NFC holders just for peace of mind, even if I have to pay a little more over traditional holders.

I don't know how accurate the PCGS Price Guide is, but I got these three coins for right at 20% below their PCGS prices in the app. That still may be too much! Lol!

Look at the actual sales in coinfacts for the coins in the grades.

For that specific coin, it looks like ~$1400 is the fair price for the past couple years in auction. Direct sellers can go a little lower of course because of the absence of fees. XF40 is a significant jump to about $2500 and your coin has XF qualities, meaning it would be a fairly good match in an XF Morgan date set. Last auction sales having been around the $1320 price (20% below PCGS guide) means you did well. Nice coin for VF35.

• Options
    M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 137 ✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    Look at the actual sales in coinfacts for the coins in the grades.

For that specific coin, it looks like ~$1400 is the fair price for the past couple years in auction. Direct sellers can go a little lower of course because of the absence of fees. XF40 is a significant jump to about $2500 and your coin has XF qualities, meaning it would be a fairly good match in an XF Morgan date set. Last auction sales having been around the $1320 price (20% below PCGS guide) means you did well. Nice coin for VF35.

Thank you! All three coins are graded VF35, yet all three look different to my untrained eye. The '93, in my opinion, looks the best of the three, and I wondered if perhaps it was undergraded -- or perhaps the other two were overgraded. Lol! I'll be buying higher grades for the remaining ten CC's. I started with the 1889, then the 1879, and finally the 1893. I figure it's best to get the key dates first and work down the list, with each being cheaper than the one before it. I went with VF35 on these key dates because I didn't want to pay the prices for higher grades on these three, but still wanted nice coins and wouldn't have been happy with good or fine.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 295 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Detail, beyond Belief!

2022 2 oz. Antique Finish
    South Korean
    "VAULT Coin"

i must have this

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:

@alefzero said:
    You certainly chose the right dates and the grades are right where the strong market is. The 79-CC looks particularly nice, at least the obverse. The only issue might be that PCGS might have been liberal in the 35 (as opposed to say 25) on the other two. Different sellers have different photo quality and different dates have different striking characteristics though. It will be tough to get some of the other CCs (like 81-CC and 85-CC) in a matching grade. Many do not appreciate just how rare they are. Most of the 81 to 85 dates are from the Treasury bags and the circs are as rare as they were before that release.

1879-CC Reverse:

1889-CC Reverse:

I love that 79-CC!

• Options

Just wrapped a trip to SoCal where I picked these Rolls for my 'Box of Ten'... scored some for Jr. as well for his growing Wells collection...

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems you were in my old stomping grounds, Reseda

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

not bad

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

A gift and a score after months of searching. 3- roll Maya. @Bullsitter I thank you for putting me on the quarters.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Here's a couple pick ups from my SoCal trip... no searching for me though..all going into my Box of 10... 396 to go till the million penny mark...

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should have some new gold to show Friday. Was lucky enough to win my first time at GC.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    Should have some new gold to show Friday. Was lucky enough to win my first time at GC.

Congrats, can't wait to see it
    Since this is your 1st win at GC you'll soon find out that it will be a great experience!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file