Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Coronavirus and the related stock market selloff ...

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now THAT... is a one way to kill a thread.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Now THAT... is a one way to kill a thread.

That last meme post was beyond stupid, not even worth requoting. This topic thread has mostly been fine, bit there is always an a-hole or two that just like to derail things and ruin it for others.

Maybe they need to make a run for more toilet paper.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Fed rate cut tells us what we need to know about the impact potential. Cutting 50 pts AFTER the market jumps1200 is not a good sign.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Report to the moderators as I did. Doesn’t belong in this thread and it doesn’t belong on the forum.
    There are thousands of other areas that they ply their angst.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

We went back to 100% cash today. We are back out.

Will take a small loss. Chit happens.

Market is toast, IMO.

• Options

World health officials said Tuesday the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.

The World Health Organization had said last week that the mortality rate of COVID-19 can differ, ranging from 0.7% to up to 4%, depending on the quality of the health-care system where it’s treated. Early in the outbreak, scientists had concluded the death rate was around 2.3%.

During a press briefing Monday, WHO officials said they don’t know how COVID-19 behaves, saying it’s not like influenza. They added that while much is known about the seasonal flu, such as how it’s transmitted and what treatments work to suppress the disease, that same information is still in question when it comes to the coronavirus.

“This is a unique virus, with unique features. This virus is not influenza,” Tedros said Monday. “We are in uncharted territory.”

Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program, said Monday that the coronavirus isn’t transmitting the same exact way as the flu and health officials have been given a “glimmer, a chink of light” that the virus could be contained.

“Here we have a disease for which we have no vaccine, no treatment, we don’t fully understand transmission, we don’t fully understand case mortality, but what we have been genuinely heartened by is that unlike influenza, where countries have fought back, where they’ve put in place strong measures, we’ve remarkably seen that the virus is suppressed,” Ryan said.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

And JM here to talk about flu in 5,4,3,2😁

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 3:57PM

@DrBuster said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I’m on my way to Paris. The Louvre has been shuttered but all the shopping malls are open. Not sure If there is any thing to read into this but full steam ahead.

Nice day to day to say the least on Wall St.

m

An old coworker of mine and his family are there this week. Said it is an absolute ghost town.

I was actually surprised by two things

1) the flight direct flight (747) from LA to Paris was 95% full

2) the streets weren’t bustling but in was a Tuesday. I took some folks to dinner tonight. There was a line to get in.

@amwldcoin said:
    I don't think I would want to travel any where right now...especially an area with known cases. While I personally don't think corona is a big deal for healthy people, you could get caught up in a quarantine.

Fair enough. I hear you but here is my rationale. I think that the US is ill prepared to handle this virus. ( I have less then zero confidence). I think that the UK and France are as safe as any place. This virus can not obviously be contained. I didn’t want to feed into the frenzy by canceling. I’ve lived in both Paris and London ( my next stop) and I’m ok with being “stuck” in either place. I can work out of either. I also have an office in Holland If need be.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@panexpoguy said:
    I think the Fed rate cut tells us what we need to know about the impact potential. Cutting 50 pts AFTER the market jumps1200 is not a good sign.

There was zero doubt that the market was going to nose dive on that announcement. Let’s hope that long term it was prudent. My first instinct is that of no confidence

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

My office just released this:

In recent days, we have seen a significant uptick in cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19). As this global health crisis continues to unfold, the safety and wellbeing of all our employees remains our top priority and we are dedicated to promoting a healthy workplace environment for all of our employees. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has taken certain measures intended to detect and combat COVID-19:
    · Effective February 2, 2020, the U.S. government suspended entry of foreign nationals who have been in China within the past 14 days.
    · Any U.S. citizens, residents, and their immediate family members who have been in Hubei province and other parts of mainland China are subject to health monitoring before entry into the U.S. and possible quarantine for up to 14 days.
    · The CDC has issued travel guidance related to COVID-19, which as of the date of this letter includes:
    o China – Level 3, avoid all nonessential travel
    o South Korea – Level 3, avoid all nonessential travel
    o Iran- Level 3, avoid all nonessential travel
    o Italy- Level 3, avoid all nonessential travel
    o Japan – Level 2, practice enhanced precautions
    o Hong Kong – Level 1, practice usual precautions

WHAT WE’RE DOING
    We will be taking the following preventive measures:
    • We are banning all travel to level 3 areas until further notice.
    • We are restricting all business travel to level 2 areas that are not business critical. If an employee must travel to a level 2 area, they must obtain executive approval.
    • Any business travel to the rest of the world, excluding the Americas, should be carefully evaluated. Consider potential travel delays, unexpected country policy changes which could impact travel plans, healthcare system of the country in issue, etc.
    • Alcohol-based sanitizers and tissue boxes will be placed in common areas
    • Disposable disinfecting wipes will be placed in high traffic areas

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
    Each employee has a responsibility to prevent the spread of COVID-19. If you do not feel well or are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms or if you have been exposed to someone with the virus, you are required to notify Human Resources immediately, or as soon as reasonably practicable.

· Individuals should stay home if they have or suspect they have any COVID-19 symptoms.

· Employees should practice proper hygiene in the workplace by covering their mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, immediately washing or sanitizing hands, and avoiding touching their eyes, nose, or mouth.

· Individuals will be required to obtain a medical certification that they no longer present a threat to other individuals in the workplace prior to being permitted to return to work.

Attached is a brief FAQ about the Coronavirus. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This virus can not obviously be contained.

this is my biggest take-away from everything that's happened thus far. act sensibly but don't expect it to just disappear like magic.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    You can tell people are acting irrationally when they buy bottled water. The virus doesn’t affect the water supply and your city / town is not going to shut off the water to your house.

My wife just bought bottled water. And we have a well. :s

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 4:45PM

@BryceM said:
    Some perspective. In the last 6 weeks there have been:

• 3,000 deaths from COVID-19
    • 800,000 deaths from smoking
    • 800,000 deaths from heart disease
    • 156,000 deaths from auto accidents
    • 96,000 deaths from AIDS

It's no consolation to those affected, but mass panic isn't justified....... just yet.

Unfortunately, logic doesn't go very far with many people when there is the opportunity for drama instead.

I wonder if the enhanced protective measures in place now will significantly reduce the number of cases of other illnesses? Wouldn't it be ironic if the 3,000 deaths from Coronavirus actually inhibited the transmission of other viruses such that the total number of deaths from infectious disease actually reduced?

• Options

Washington State death toll now at nine. :(

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 4:45PM

I’m buying more gold tomorrow. I’ve been stacking for about six years now, on and off. I’m not really buying much numismatic material right now, just good old gold.

Wish I’d bought more when it was sub-$1400, but alas, I can’t seem to time the stock market or gold market worth a crap.

It’s not really the virus that’s making me do this...I just get comfort from stacking it.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    I’m buying more gold tomorrow. I’ve been stacking for about six years now, on and off. I’m not really buying much numismatic material right now, just good old gold.

Wish I’d bought more when it was sub-$1400, but alas, I can’t seem to time the stock market or gold market worth a crap.

It’s not really the virus that’s making me do this...I just get comfort from stacking it.

Dave

Right or wrong if it makes you sleep better at night buy gold. Sleeping weight is good

m

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

I think that the US is ill prepared to handle this virus.

I agree, the United States government reacts after there is a problem, and so far we are not prepared with any lessons learned from China. For example, China had a shortage of n95 masks a month ago and this week we ramp up the mask production for our health care workers (if this turns into a pandemic we only have 10% of needed masks for health care workers) and the general public will also need masks to stop the spread of the virus. The required use of masks by the general public in China was/is an excellent tool to stop the virus spread as it cuts down on the virus droplets in the air from an infected person. In Washington State we are taking a soft approach and lets see what happens. When the Washington area hospitals are overrun with cases, then the government will figure out something needs to change. It appears that our head in the sand action is taken to protect the stock market from falling.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Just a reminder:

CDC Estimates of 2009 H1N1 Influenza Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths in the United States
    During the pandemic, CDC provided estimates of the numbers of 2009 H1N1 cases, hospitalizations and deaths on seven different occasions. Final estimates were published in 2011. These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. These final estimates are available at: Estimating the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in the United States (April 2009-April 2010), Shrestha SS, et al., Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Jan 1;52 Suppl 1:S75-82.

• Options

Fish teeth? Thank you for the in the trenches account!

• Options
    RodebaughRodebaugh Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Same thing here...but my crew is smaller at 10. Try using multiple distributors to fulfil your needs. It has worked for me. Patterson, Henry Schein, Benco, Darby, ect.

Also, just flip used masks around to get another use out of them. (humor)

@fishteeth said:
    I own 2 dental offices and have about 25 employees. The virus does not concern me at this point, but getting mask does. Luckily we have about 5 weeks inventory, typically we carry a years worth, but our yearly order in late January got cut due to lack of available supplies. We are now rationed to 5 boxes a week. We use 10-15 boxes a week. If we run out of inventory we have to shut down. I know of several offices which have only a few weeks inventory and our scrambling to find more mask. My wife is a cardiac intensive care nurse and the hospital today started rationing to 1 mask per patient room per day. Her concern is not the Corona virus but the Norovirus which is running rampant here and putting her and the compromised patients at risk.
    Not knowing if this hysteria will blow over before I have to shut down my office due to lack of personal protective devices, I have started to alter some plans and habits. The drop in stock value has not helped either. There was a nice gold coin in the mid 5 figures that I have wanted for a long time, coin is available and now with everything going on I decided I was better off saving cash just in case. So I have definitely changed coin buying habits due to the virus and stock market. Hopefully by Central States in April things will be back to normal and I can go on a coin buying spree.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hospital I work at is looking at potential shortages of the routine soft goods we use in the OR - sterile drapes, gowns, gloves. Mostly, these things aren’t directly used to deal with COVID-19, but little ripples in the supply chain have far-reaching consequences. Quite a bit of this stuff comes from China. We’re OK for quite a while (a couple months), but it’s going to create huge backlogs of orders. It could impact elective surgeries at some point.

The efficiency generated by carrying very little inventory has an ugly side.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    The hospital I work at is looking at potential shortages of the routine soft goods we use in the OR - sterile drapes, gowns, gloves. Mostly, these things aren’t directly used to deal with COVID-19, but little ripples in the supply chain have far-reaching consequences. Quite a bit of this stuff comes from China. We’re OK for quite a while (a couple months), but it’s going to create huge backlogs of orders. It could impact elective surgeries at some point.

Just in time trumps just in case until you really need it. We referred to it as OSWO inventory management; Oh $hit We're Out

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭

At this point I’m not making any coin/currency/bullion purchases. I also put off a new boat purchase. My better judgement says wait and see.
    If it does spread here in the US, I wouldn’t want any of my loved ones or friends to fall ill to this virus. I’m pretty humble right now. May the light keep shining.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

On Sunday, March 1st, the Captain vacated the Diamond Princess Cruise ship as the last person aboard.

(Pictured above an accompanying tender as I phtographed it while aboard a tender on one of our departures from the Diamond Princess.)

The Diamond Princess Cruise ship that began its quarantine on February 5th has now as of Sunday March 1st had the last person leave the ship.

Fittingly, the Captain Gennaro Arma was the last to vacate the ship preceded by the 129 other crew members who had remained aboard. He is being credited with having done an admirable job helping his crew and the passengers through their ordeal.

Of the 3,711 who began the saga as it docked in Yokohama, 705 were identified as contracting the Coronavirus of which 5 Japanese and 1 Briton died. That is more than one fifth.

Tonight’s live news feed from Japan is again devoted almost entirely to the ongoing Japanese response to the Coronavirus.

One encouraging development was a finding that administering medication typically given with inhalers to those with asthma has proven effective in treating patients suffering from Coronavirus symptoms. Of three persons two recovered significantly in two days and the other one was even able to be discharged from the hospital.

Subsequent to the news broadcast I went to my NHK World Japan app that I had loaded on my phone when volunteer teaching in Japan last Fall to get updates on the Godzilla Typhoon. I found this:

"A medical team that treated cases from the Diamond Princess cruise ship say an asthma drug appears to be effective in reducing symptoms of Coronavirus patients who developed pneumonia."

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tonight’s live news feed from Japan is again devoted almost entirely to the ongoing Japanese response to the Coronavirus.

One encouraging development was a finding that administering medication typically given with inhalers to those with asthma has proven effective in treating patients suffering from Coronavirus symptoms. Of three persons two significantly recovered in two days and the third one was able to be discharged from the hospital.

Subsequent to the news broadcast I went to my NHK World Japan app that I had loaded on my phone when volunteer teaching in Japan last Fall to get updates on the Godzilla Typhoon. I found this:

"A medical team that treated cases from the Diamond Princess cruise ship say an asthma drug appears to be effective in reducing symptoms of Coronavirus patients who developed pneumonia."

• Options
    BigTomBigTom Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

Over 4000 Chinese companies have been granted a certificate of Force Majuere. In certain industries if you haven’t already secured alternate supply chains you maybe too late.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

It's no consolation to those affected, but mass panic isn't justified....... just yet.

Very true, however, those other stats are all relatively static and not growing. What makes COVID-19 dangerous is its exponential growth.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:

@BryceM said:

Very true, however, those other stats are all relatively static and not growing. What makes COVID-19 dangerous is its exponential growth.

The trend has been down in the last week or so - spike yesterday. There is no "exponential growth" at the moment.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stock market really doesn't know which way to go.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

LOL. > @jmski52 said:

LOL. Fun, isn't it?

People will lose a lot of money by over-reacting. This is one of those times that, unless you want to be a trader, it's best to just not look for a few months. We'll probably be right back where we started come June or July despite a few thousand points in swings in the interim.

• Options

for me it's reminiscent of when a prior employer implemented "Lean Manufacturing" and it just felt bad.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

for me it's reminiscent of when a prior employer implemented "Lean Manufacturing" and it just felt bad.

The sad part is that the Harvard MBA bean counters rarely have to deal with the fallout when monkey wrenches get thrown into the works.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@SmEagle1795 said:

@BryceM said:

The trend has been down in the last week or so - spike yesterday. There is no "exponential growth" at the moment.

The China down trend came at a high cost that included:
    Wide spread use of disinfectants
    Hazmat suits for emergency services and health care workers
    Burning of infected bodies with no funeral services
    Highly restricted travel
    Closing of schools, most business and factories in a population area of about 50 million
    Required temperature testing to enter stores
    General population confinement to residence
    No public gathering
    Mandatory use of face masks when outside of residence
    No public transportation

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2020 8:50AM

One of my team members in Warsaw let us know the first confirmed case in Poland popped up today.

The company has released many statements about it the past 2 months. Our SE Asia offices have some super strict rules in place since January if you actually go in or have to have guests come into the office, and travel is restricted unless business critical.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

The stock market lacks consciousness.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 8:57AM

Zero Stress ..... So glad we are out of the market. Lost 1%.

Will get back in at 22,000 perhaps 18,000 on the DOW :o:o:o

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 9:21AM

@air4mdc said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Zero Stress ..... So glad we are out of the market. Lost 1%.

Will get back in at 22,000 perhaps 18,000 on the DOW :o:o:o

Now you will have the stress of trying to time the market. You could possibly miss out on the biggest rally ever in the market’s history. I wouldn’t want to miss that boat. My theory Is I came into this life with nothing and I will leave this life with with nothing. I don’t think St. Peter checks bags at the Pearly Gate.
    Maybe I have to much faith and to much trust, but things will be alright in the long run.

Of course, things will be alright in the long run like every time.

No stress in picking a bottom, there will be many chances IMO.

Biggest rally ever??? Why??? What on earth would cause this??? The market was way overbought when this thing started. Much more downside to come, IMO. The market risk is unknown right now.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    World health officials said Tuesday the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.

The World Health Organization had said last week that the mortality rate of COVID-19 can differ, ranging from 0.7% to up to 4%, depending on the quality of the health-care system where it’s treated. Early in the outbreak, scientists had concluded the death rate was around 2.3%.

During a press briefing Monday, WHO officials said they don’t know how COVID-19 behaves, saying it’s not like influenza. They added that while much is known about the seasonal flu, such as how it’s transmitted and what treatments work to suppress the disease, that same information is still in question when it comes to the coronavirus.

“This is a unique virus, with unique features. This virus is not influenza,” Tedros said Monday. “We are in uncharted territory.”

Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program, said Monday that the coronavirus isn’t transmitting the same exact way as the flu and health officials have been given a “glimmer, a chink of light” that the virus could be contained.

“Here we have a disease for which we have no vaccine, no treatment, we don’t fully understand transmission, we don’t fully understand case mortality, but what we have been genuinely heartened by is that unlike influenza, where countries have fought back, where they’ve put in place strong measures, we’ve remarkably seen that the virus is suppressed,” Ryan said.

Here is the Chinese figure:

confirmed: 80424
    recovered: 49942
    Death: 2984
    critical: 6416

So the death rate really depends on which way the critical figure goes.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 10:14AM

Looking at the USA figures ...

USA numbers are so out of line with other countries' numbers.

Some will be shocked when our true numbers come out :o

https://worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Looking at the USA figures ...

USA numbers are so out of line with other countries' numbers.

Some will be shocked when our true numbers come out :o

Yes, there will end up a lot less than people are anticipating.

I was shocked, since I had forgotten, how few SARS cases there were: 8000 total cases, 774 deaths.
    H5N1 flu: 238 cases, 134 deaths.

Obviously, we're over those numbers, but still mostly in the one province in China. With all the precautions being taken, I would expect less than 200k total cases when all is said and done and less than 5000 deaths.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that's why it doesn't know which way to go. ;)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

And that's why it doesn't know which way to go. ;)

LoL, and gold is "trying" to rally!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jm there is a fine line between optimism and blind optimism

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

first California death reported, US total at 11.

• Options

@Mgarmy said:

Mgarmy, there's almost no line between pessimism and blind pessimism.

Look at prior outbreaks. Look at the current trends in infection rates. Consider the approaching end of flu season. Estimating that we are at or near the peak infection rate is not that ridiculous given how these things go. Expecting as many as 100,000 new cases and 2000 deaths is hardly overly optimistic.

• Options

@Mgarmy said:

Here, read this:
    https://nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0148-0

• Options

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO, said at the briefing that most cases were linked and could still be traced to known contacts or clusters, with no evidence of the virus spreading freely in communities. “As long as that is the case, we still have a chance of containing this virus, if robust action is taken to detect cases early, isolate and care for patients and trace contacts,” said Tedros.

The organization therefore once again resisted declaring the outbreak a pandemic. Mike Ryan, director of the WHO’s emergencies programme, said that such a decision would mean that efforts to contain and slow down the spread of the virus have failed, which has proved to be untrue in China, Singapore and other regions.

This discussion has been closed.