Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Coronavirus and the related stock market selloff ...

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    TVIX :o:o:o:o

LOL, I remember looking at those types of leveraged funds and said wow, never hold these for more than a few days, preferably never ;)

For professionals only which I am not.

TVIX has doubled in only five days.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Heavy duty!

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO... Market was overvalued in 2016, so obviously I don't know diddly.

Like Exxon at $51...

I crushed it from the depths of the last financial crisis... something like 35% annually.

Made enough to pay off the house...

Been two massive crashes in my lifetime.

Wake me when we are down 50%

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

I am disappointed in the way the US government has handled covid19 testing. We should already have capabilities to test for the virus in every state. If we are reacting to the virus after deaths occurs or a number of people are hospitalized with pneumonia, it is too late. This could get real messy. The US is not prepared to test for the virus. A California coronavirus patient in Northern California from "unknown" exposure was not tested for several days because federal health officials believed he did not meet the criteria, Anyone that has flu like symptoms getting medical attention needs to be tested for the flu if the test is negative, they should be tested for covid19.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cagcrisp said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cagcrisp said:
    1.Stock market is in a bubble
    2. Bond market is in a bubble
    3. Gold is in a bubble
    4. USD too Strong

1. Bond market is hitting ALL TIME Low Yields. I just can’t buy a 10 year yielding 1.37% with $23 Trillion in debt...hoping that interest rates will continue to go down and make capital appreciation on lower yields
    2. Gold is hitting 7 year highs and is 100% based on low yields, high stock prices , trying to find safe haven in turbulent times and looking for capital appreciation
    3. Thus I ended back in stock market pre dawn when stocks were “only” down 2.5%.Even though it’s very risky with coronavirus and P/Es are stretched to perfection. Other than cash, where do you go? And at some time you have to get out of cash and I might as well get back in ( traded out last Tuesday) after a Sell Off...Thus back in the game and counting on another Fed cut (bond market has already done the heavy lifting)...

Lol. I jumped in when it was down a little over 2%. The last 1.5% was my fault.

What I did Yesterday pre-market, I undid pre-market Today...

I only partially undid it overnight. I'm still riding this mother to hell.... ;)

Long term you Will be fine...

I'm a trader...I Could be back before the day is over...

So much fun earning the same money over and over again. In one account last Friday I cleaned house at a profit so now I have money to re-invest when prices fall. In another one I did not clean house and I'm SUNK. Still selling off with the hopes to buy back in LOWER may not be a bad thing.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2020 9:11AM

I barely graduated high school and struggled with math in college.

Stock market can be beat alot of ways.

It's 5th grade math and a gamblers arbitrage of numbers.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years from now this will be a blip on the long term chart. I'm selective buying.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2020 9:25AM

What was the 1999/2000 scare?

I remember watching the countdown and wondering if the ball would ball drop before my lights and TV to shut off.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    Country by country response is fast moving. Japan is preparing to take significant measures as reported from news feed from Japan at this moment.

Starting tomorrow no tourists from China or South Korea will be allowed entry into Japan.

The opening games of this year’s baseball season will be played in empty stadiums. Artists and performers who have scheduled e ents have been requested to postpone them until after March 15th at the earliest,

Public schools in Hokkaido where 49 cases have been identified are closed. Schools in other areas are adjusting their starting times so students who commute by train can avoid crowded commutes.

While Japan is not the authoritarian country that China is there exists a self imposed adherence to requests and regulations that is unlike what we are familiar with in the United States - a sentiment that is ironically reflected by responses on this thread.

As the news cast continues detailed instructions are being given as to how to protect against the spread of the virus in each Japanese home with for example limiting the care and contact of a family member to only one other family member for anyone with cold or flu like symptoms.

Updated info. Per news broadcast this morning schools all across Japan are being closed.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

The virus has me moderately interested. The irrational response of people to this is starting to concern me a bit. Perception trumps reality in many cases.

Supply chain issues are likely to have far-ranging effects and unanticipated consequences. The panic will do 100x more damage than the disease.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slider23 said:
    I am disappointed in the way the US government has handled covid19 testing. We should already have capabilities to test for the virus in every state. If we are reacting to the virus after deaths occurs or a number of people are hospitalized with pneumonia, it is too late. This could get real messy. The US is not prepared to test for the virus. A California coronavirus patient in Northern California from "unknown" exposure was not tested for several days because federal health officials believed he did not meet the criteria, Anyone that has flu like symptoms getting medical attention needs to be tested for the flu if the test is negative, they should be tested for covid19.

Indeed. Sadly it doesn’t surprise me. We don’t like being inconvenienced. Hoping it just goes away isn’t really a plan.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

no impact on my coin buying

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzkzU4iw8kKippX27

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldUScoins said:
    Like I mentioned before - start washing your hands like crazy and stop touching your face etc. May save your life or that of someone you love.

Fear and panic are not helpful. A cavalier attitude isn’t either. It’s a dangerous disease and you don’t want it. So wash and remember - no nose picking.

Just like Mom used to say, "don't forget to wash behind your corona!" ;)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in the U.S., one will not have to contract the virus in order to > @BryceM said:

The virus has me moderately interested. The irrational response of people to this is starting to concern me a bit. Perception trumps reality in many cases.

Supply chain issues are likely to have far-ranging effects and unanticipated consequences. The panic will do 100x more damage than the disease.

I agree 100%. The fallout will be more detrimental than the disease itself.
    My local news just had a story on it. They start by saying “Do not panic, there is no reason for panic” That sentence was followed by a segment of what items you should include in your “quarantine kit”.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

A significant beat down in the market today for stocks that has become unpredictable and vicious. Kind a like the uptick in Palladium.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@slider23 said:

Indeed. Sadly it doesn’t surprise me. We don’t like being inconvenienced. Hoping it just goes away isn’t really a plan.

m

Here is an update from Bay Area newspapers: The Northern California unknown exposure person is a female, and she waited 11 days in the hospital to get covid19 test results and exposed up to 100 medical case workers in the process.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like anybody here really knows what they are talking about...….NOT!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

I know enough to keep my mouth shut...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I know enough to keep my mouth shut...

Me too.....If I knew what the market was going to do and when.......I would be a multi Billionaire!

• Options

market reaction is more an indicator at just how fragile and overvalued the market is.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    market reaction is more an indicator at just how fragile and overvalued the market is.

Fundamentals have been ignored for far too long. An event like this will bring them back into focus.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Complete Disconnect between the 10 year U.S. Treasury and Gold/Silver

Air coming out of Silver Bubble

United States Treasury Bonds still Driving the Bus

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 12:40PM

ef it. Going all in today. Putting the last 1/3 in today in a market index fund at the close.

Will sell on up spike or hold long term if the market fails ..... we have time to hold.

Bought 4 PCGS Error Coins Today.

VIX almost hit 50 today :o:o:o

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm buying Ford Motors. :p

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold acting strangely.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

People must be cashing in their gold and silver to buy N95 masks, canned foods, and bottled water. The metals markets are a complete mystery to me sometimes.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

In situations of turmoil I typically wait for a period a stability before buying the dip. I'd much rather miss some of the rebound then join the roller coaster a quarter of the way down the hill. I'm not nearly smart enough to call the tops or bottoms.

There definitely will be some buying opportunities presented from this situation. I don't know if that will be in a week or (6) months. If the weekend induces more panic, Monday may be a bloodbath.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I'm buying Ford Motors. :p

Did you buy an Edsel too? :)

• Options

@hchcoin said:
    People must be cashing in their gold and silver to buy N95 masks, canned foods, and bottled water.

and to cover their margin calls.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@hchcoin said:
    People must be cashing in their gold and silver to buy N95 masks, canned foods, and bottled water.

I heard that as well but am amazed so many market participants would use precious metals to cover margin calls.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Gold acting strangely.

It's never done that before......

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have some dry powder. Almost went all-in today, as I'm expecting a rebound early next week. The market was even selling off REITs hard this week, which is completely irrational given that interest rates are going to be cut further still.

• Options

@hchcoin said:

@derryb said:

@hchcoin said:

I heard that as well but am amazed so many market participants would use precious metals to cover margin calls.

many participants have various assets. When the hammer drops on a margin call one tends to dump an asset that has shown some gains. Gold certainly has done that.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

@Dave99B said:
    Gold acting strangely.

It's never done that before......

Actually, it did the exact same thing during the 2008/2009 crash. It initially plummeted along with oil and stocks and Treasury yields. Then it rallied to its highs.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    I still have some dry powder. Almost went all-in today, as I'm expecting a rebound early next week. The market was even selling off REITs hard this week, which is completely irrational given that interest rates are going to be cut further still.

The whole drop is somewhat irrational. The yield on 10 and 30 year bonds are negative in real terms. Yet the underlying economy has not changed from 2 weeks ago. A lot of hysteria driving all market sectors.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

The whole drop is somewhat irrational. The yield on 10 and 30 year bonds are negative in real terms. Yet the underlying economy has not changed from 2 weeks ago. A lot of hysteria driving all market sectors.

The perception of the extent and impact of Coronavirus has changed from a couple weeks ago. Also, the available information is not definitive, and markets hate uncertainty. But yeah, it's like people don't realize normalcy will return at some point. There are also some political dynamics in play, but I'm not going to go there, here.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@nags said:
    In situations of turmoil I typically wait for a period a stability before buying the dip. I'd much rather miss some of the rebound then join the roller coaster a quarter of the way down the hill. I'm not nearly smart enough to call the tops or bottoms.

There definitely will be some buying opportunities presented from this situation. I don't know if that will be in a week or (6) months. If the weekend induces more panic, Monday may be a bloodbath.

I sold a lot going into the close ( stocks rebounding on Fed Chief Powell news). Didn’t want to hold too muck going into the weekend. It seems more likely bad news will occur over the weekend then good news. Regardless I will hope for good news

m

I was already down to 50% stocks in my portfolio (nearly retired) so I will stay the course. IMO, we are going to bottom out with at least a 30% drop in stocks in the short term over this (few weeks), but if this thing blows up, we could see a 50% drop over the year. As you noted, the problem is going to be keeping the supply lines moving to keep productivity up which is challenging right now in places like China. Once this has all blown over, we should see some market recovery, but this may stagnate the economy enough to get us going in the wrong direction for a few years.

I am just waiting for the right vibe on the bottom to scoop up some bargains........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 7:04PM

@1northcoin said:
    To recap with some added facts regarding the saga of the Diamond Princess now that it has been announced it will not return to passenger cruising until at least April 29th.

When the ship first went under quarantine in Yokohama Harbor over two weeks ago there were 2,666 passengers and 1,045 crew members aboard, At that point 10 people had been identified as infected with the Coronavirus. That number eventually reached at least 691 plus at least one health official who had come on board.

While half of those who tested positive for the virus had no symptoms, three died, All three were in their 80s with the first two (84 and 87) having had serious unrelated health issues,

At least as of several days ago, half of the diagnosed Coronavirus infected persons outside of China had been aboard the Diamond Princess.

The above was posted just a few days ago. Now as Italy and North Korea have expanding infection totals of their own it is as if the good ship Diamond Princess has sailed.

Even in Japan where most of those infected still can be traced to the Diamond Princess, concern has broadened with all tourists from China and South Korea no longer being allowed entry.

Nationwide public schools in Japan have been closed and public events postponed or cancelled. Even the Emperor’s Birthday Party was scaled down and the baseball season opening games will be played in empty stadiums.

Credit Japan , which has something like 900 cases - a majority of which can be tied to the cruise ship- to South Korea’s 2,000, with being proactive. Japan is taking measures to contain the virus’s spread so the Olympic Games scheduled for late July can go on.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

The perception of the extent and impact of Coronavirus has changed from a couple weeks ago. Also, the available information is not definitive, and markets hate uncertainty. But yeah, it's like people don't realize normalcy will return at some point. There are also some political dynamics in play, but I'm not going to go there, here.

Agree with every sentence.

Rough week for my trading account, brutal really, but my 401k was only off 4 or 5% due to being half in cash and short-term bonds. So, I can still afford to eat. LOL.

On a coin-related note, I had bought 8 ounces of gold and $300 face in 90% at an auction Saturday. Out of an abundance of caution, I immediately drove it to my metals guy on Saturday. On Monday, that seemed premature. By today, I feel like a hero. LOL.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 9:10PM

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< The whole drop is somewhat irrational. The yield on 10 and 30 year bonds are negative in real terms. Yet the underlying economy has not changed from 2 weeks ago. A lot of hysteria driving all market sectors. >>>

LOLOL.....wow

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

The underlying economy and company profits will see a big change if supply chains are interrupted. Anticipation of this is causing the sell off. Supply chain breakdowns are now moving from a threat to a reality.

I read that 80% of US pharmaceuticals are produced in the Wahun region, ground zero for the bug.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Justacommeman said:

@nags said:

I sold a lot going into the close ( stocks rebounding on Fed Chief Powell news). Didn’t want to hold too muck going into the weekend. It seems more likely bad news will occur over the weekend then good news. Regardless I will hope for good news

m

I was already down to 50% stocks in my portfolio (nearly retired) so I will stay the course. IMO, we are going to bottom out with at least a 30% drop in stocks in the short term over this (few weeks), but if this thing blows up, we could see a 50% drop over the year. As you noted, the problem is going to be keeping the supply lines moving to keep productivity up which is challenging right now in places like China. Once this has all blown over, we should see some market recovery, but this may stagnate the economy enough to get us going in the wrong direction for a few years.

I am just waiting for the right vibe on the bottom to scoop up some bargains........

Best, SH

Make your shopping list now. Be prepared. You already know this.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fear for the elderly or those with copd etc.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

This discussion has been closed.