Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show us some of the old "original" boxes, holders, etc. you've collected.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins have been issued or even stored in all types of containers from the 17th Century to modern days. While a coin cabinet qualifies, I'm more interested seeing the smaller containers made out of any material. Very often, the container folks kept their treasure in is more interesting or more valuable that the coin inside.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 2:31PM

Not mine. Trying to get this image posted. May need to wait until Thursday. :(

• Options

Thanks! How did you do that. No, I don't want to know and will find out Thursday. LO.

No insert. The blue paper was on the coins.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, those are amazing envelopes @jabba !

Quick question, I know you love beavers but I was wondering what got you on to this collecting theme? It's been great watching the evolution of your collection!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had those stolen too. Always wondered what he got out of them or was they just a way to cart them out of my house?

Ken
  • Options

These are the kind of gift boxes I've seen many come in. Although I've never seen one for a $20 yet.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones
    I'd have to check to be certain but my memory is that the warehouse was in Savannah, Ga.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking holders and I guess the coins as well! :)

Ken
  • Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Waiting to see some pre-33 gift boxes, as mentioned (but not shown) in this thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1026303/need-pictures-of-christmas-gift-boxes-used-for-gold-coins-before-1933#latest

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I personally dislike any bulky packaging and have thrown tons of it away.

made me think of this one:

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now what are the odds of me finally deciding to take pictures of mine and post it here to see you just did?

@specksynder said:
    Original box for a Lexington Concord

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin, but similar to the coin boxes of the 1860's/70's
    Original box from Gorham, c.1870

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    redub117redub117 Posts: 34 ✭✭

TWENTY YEARS now in ACCUGRADE HOLDER the very first ever certified/authenticated 1995 Penny On Dime Planchet a Doubled Denomination with 2 Full popular complete dates of 1995, 2 LIBERTY, 2 IN GOD WE TRUST, VDB, P Mintmark, skull break,and also a Monster Crack Die varieties at Reverse, ONE CENT, ONE DIME, UNITED STATES of AMERICA, FG Initia, e plu, etc.,
    in the public eyes in BALTIMORE COIN SHOW in MARYLAND on MARCH 2000, Large Crowd and many witnes.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

great Americana!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is the reverse of a quarter in the picture?

@redub117 said:
    TWENTY YEARS now in ACCUGRADE HOLDER the very first ever certified/authenticated 1995 Penny On Dime Planchet a Doubled Denomination with 2 Full popular complete dates of 1995, 2 LIBERTY, 2 IN GOD WE TRUST, VDB, P Mintmark, skull break,and also a Monster Crack Die varieties at Reverse, ONE CENT, ONE DIME, UNITED STATES of AMERICA, FG Initia, e plu, etc.,
    in the public eyes in BALTIMORE COIN SHOW in MARYLAND on MARCH 2000, Large Crowd and many witnes.

• Options
    redub117redub117 Posts: 34 ✭✭

Showing the year of 1984 that Accugrade is the first coin grading company sealed in a plastic holder follow by PCGS in 1986 after owner Dave Hall paid Mr Alan Hager of 100,000.00 US dollars for his expertise in his Patetnt., then in 1987 NGC follow. _ this answer is for the question of amwldcoin

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great @WaterSport

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Jefferson Nickel set holder was made by a company called Berger. They always had rounded corners while Capital had sharp corners.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file