Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need pictures of Christmas gift boxes used for gold coins before 1933

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anybody have a picture or two of one of the small gift boxes, typically red, used to hold a gold coins, typically a $2-1/2 or $5, to be given as a present? Some banks used to stock them to sell to customers who wanted to use coins as gifts, either at Christmas or as a birthday or christening gift or whatever.

Need for a story in COINage. As high a resolution as possible.

Thanks,

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think CRO had some many years ago?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options

I have asked them. Thanks.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never heard of them. I sure would like to see a picture.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some pictures that I took for the NNP. They may or may not be on the site yet. If they're not, I can get them to you, but you'd have to get permission from them to republish them. (Tagging @Coinosaurus ).

• Options

Please send the pictures along with a name to ask permission from!
    Thanks!
    Tom

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk Why do you need permission from the NNP - as the original author you retain the copyright unless you SPECIFICALLY assigned it to them. They have the right to use but cannot restrict YOUR use of YOUR images.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    @messydesk Why do you need permission from the NNP - as the original author you retain the copyright unless you SPECIFICALLY assigned it to them. They have the right to use but cannot restrict YOUR use of YOUR images.

Because the rights were assigned to the NNP.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

These boxes are something I had never heard of before. I hope photos can be shown.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't they have to be turned in with the coins in 1933? :o:D

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing one in a dealers case many years ago. It was a cardboard box covered with a gold colored foil. I don't remember what his asking price was but the box had a sticker on the lid with the his asking price and I was concerned that peeling off the sticker would ruin the box.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

All done with the article. Thank you messydesk!

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Let us know when/where it’s available. I’m really curious about these boxes now!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I remember ...the box had a sticker on the lid with the his asking price and I was concerned that peeling off the sticker would ruin the box.

Unless it was a CAC sticker?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

The article will be in the Dec.-Jan. Issue of COINage. They have gone from monthly to every other month

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subscribe to Coinage, but didn't notice that change. Their website confirms it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file