Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until I finally find rolls like this and have to slow way down. These are loaded with 94, 5, and 6s.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@mannie gray said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @mannie gray Small date?

Yes sir

Nice. I have found a few of them but I can go through a box of cents quicker than a coin star can count em.

I imagine you can.
    I ain't no slouch either. ;)

• Options

@mannie gray said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@mannie gray said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @mannie gray Small date?

Yes sir

Nice. I have found a few of them but I can go through a box of cents quicker than a coin star can count em.

I imagine you can.
    I ain't no slouch either. ;)

I know that’s right 😎

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Got a shiny Roosie today. 😎☘

• Options

@Modwriter said:

As in silver? Any pics?

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Modwriter said:

As in silver? Any pics?

I'm too busy for that.
    No pics sorry coiny.
    Not silver. Too much luster. Probably a 2020.
    I just tossed it into my salad pile of coins to be graded.😎❤

• Options

@Modwriter said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Modwriter said:

As in silver? Any pics?

I'm too busy for that.
    No pics sorry coiny.
    Not silver. Too much luster. Probably a 2020.
    I just tossed it into my salad pile of coins to be graded.😎❤

I have one of those too but the lettuce isn't high grade if you know what I mean😂

• Options

Just when I thought I was done coin roll hunting for a while I read a great thread from @Zoins on MS67BN.
    Reinvigorated yet sick to my stomach for all of the thousands of BN coins I never even considered.
    1976 top pop is AU58BN shown below, I may already have a contender if it's actually brown. Pic 2 & 3.

• Options

This!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Snaps said

I know that store. There used to be batting cages across the street. Don't worry, I'm not a big coin roll hunter. Your spot is safe from me.

Based on the sky and the trees....I'd say Idaho :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@Snaps Your absolutely correct but that one was a bust that day. I have competition right down the street, cool.
    @1630Boston Spring, TX

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@Snaps said

I know that store. There used to be batting cages across the street. Don't worry, I'm not a big coin roll hunter. Your spot is safe from me.

Texas. Idaho sounds good though.

• Options

Then I guess Texas @Snaps :D

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@Snaps said:

@1630Boston said:

@Snaps said

Texas. Idaho sounds good though.

I gotta get out to the coontry, I have the best luck at small town banks. But you never know.

• Options

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Snaps Your absolutely correct but that one was a bust that day. I have competition right down the street, cool.
    @1630Boston Spring, TX

We have lived out there since 1995. That store has been there a lot longer than that. I have visited him a couple times, but, he is kind of high priced. Small world, good to meet ya.

• Options

@Snaps said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @1630Boston Spring, TX

We have lived out there since 1995. That store has been there a lot longer than that. I have visited him a couple times, but, he is kind of high priced. Small world, good to meet ya.

Cool, we've been in the Spring/Woodlands area since '78
    Nice to meet you too. Let me know if you ever need anything.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever... One of my Grand daughters lives in the Woodlands... indeed a small world. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @CoinscratchFever... One of my Grand daughters lives in the Woodlands... indeed a small world. Cheers, RickO

Nice, it's a great place to live since it has grown. Years ago you had to go to Houston for everything but now we have everything including great restaurants, mall, & concert Pavilion.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever... I recall that... Years ago I lived in Houston, and had a friend living in the Woodlands. That was his only complaint. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 3, 2020 3:40PM

I found some quality coinage today. More fun than a🛢of 🐒s.
    Will post any notables later.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Very nice @Kurisu
    I have nothing to write home about just yet. Some nice colors though.

• Options

@Kurisu
    Some nice Sac Dollars there :)

• Options

@Kurisu Welcome to the forum! I'll check out and subscribe to your channel later, right now I still have 3 1/2 boxes and these are the slow and methodical type...

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Kurisu Welcome to the forum! I'll check out and subscribe to your channel later, right now I still have 3 1/2 boxes and these are the slow and methodical type...

Well thank you!
    Greetings to you, and everyone!!

This my 2nd roll, I've got 4 more to go.
    I think we're going to get along great!
    Check out the mule hunt video while you're there and you will get to see this very hunt and I think also we just might have some methodicalness in common :-)

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu I usually go through a typical fed box in less than an hour. But these are the type someone was saving for years, finally rolled up and taken to the bank. In particular one of the boxes has nothing newer than 85 while another has a lot of 90’s so I have to look at both sides etc.
    So far, a lot of problematic gems but I just need one that is perfect, right.

What type of place did you score those rolls? They look very nice.

• Options

Thanks, yes these were a couple of scores... I bought two of them earlier this year, almost $40 each which I was quite happy about.
    The others I've had for a few years, ebay I'm sure, probably $20 a roll or so. I remember because it was another non-coin type seller with a poorly timed auction and few bids.
    I'm working on another video, opened another one of these rolls yesterday...spoiler, no mules lol. But the video will be fun.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

While deciding which Bo Jackson cards to submit thought I would do a roll search of half dollars like the old days. Picked up a box of $500.00 in halves. Surprised that the bank had a box there after asking if I could order one. They had a hard time handling the box. I walked out with a smile and the box. I have yet to open it but will do it shortly.

• Options

@InforaPenny I have yet to do that with a whole box. However I have scored a couple silvers picking up a few rolls here and there. Let us know how you do.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@In4apenny said:
    While deciding which Bo Jackson cards to submit thought I would do a roll search of half dollars like the old days. Picked up a box of $500.00 in halves. Surprised that the bank had a box there after asking if I could order one. They had a hard time handling the box. I walked out with a smile and the box. I have yet to open it but will do it shortly.

My last $500 box resulted in nothing but common halves. Hope you do better.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

I did do better! Now I can buy that sports car I always wanted. Found a Gold Plated half dollar, ender showing the reverse.
    Boy did I strike it rich. It must be worth at least $00.50 cents. Started by sorting out the enders first, saving the best for last to open. I did find 5 2018 D, 1 2009, they stick out like a sore thumb. No silver yet. Only opened 6 rolls.

• Options

@In4apenny.... I roll searched halves for years, though I never purchased a $500 box. Never had much luck, a few silver (40%) Kennedy's and one WLH ('41). I should start again... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roll searching turns your hands blue.

• Options

Never had my hands turn blue.... dirty fingers, yes....Guess I did not spend enough time doing it. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

I've been opening various types of rolls for over 40 years but I've never seen crimp damage like this!
    Fun :-)
    This came out of a hand closed roll turned in at my bank, so I didn't get to see it as the ender.
    I assume that damage all has to be from the crimper which somehow...
    Was obviously calibrated a bit wrong but also mmmmaybe had a sharp-ish edge or got a staple stuck in there or something...Guesses?
    Different angles...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu Yea, something got in the way, I have a couple of these from mint sets I'm grappling with sending in or not.
    The Lincoln scored a 68 and the others have a nice blue toning but, like yours a lot of hits.

• Options

@Kurisu You have a 36 year head start on me but I started at 49 :)
    There is some lint and finger prints among the hits but you can see that one of the sets exhibits some PL tendencies and then also some toning.

And then the MS68 that came from one of those sets. Thanks to @insider2 for the advice and PCGS for featuring it.

• Options

You've got some beauty finds for sure! Nice!!
    I won't try to one-up any of that...yet... :-)
    I'll go in the humble other direction with a few of my favorite roll finds from this year's "unsearched" wheatie rolls...

Starting with my favorite, not the greatest condition but it is the ultra-rare 1897 "1 in Neck"

1899 RPD FS-301

A 1931 Toner that I just love, what can I say it's got good vibes. Something about it...it's one of those "if coins could talk"...

Then my fun Lincoln heart tattoo cud on a beautiful deep golden '66

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@kurisu I don't know much about the 97 but I agree the 31 is gorgeous!

• Options

OK, opened 24 rolls of the Half dollars. Found 23 2018 Ds, 3 2017s, 1ea of 2004/2009/2010 all Ds. 1 proof 1990 S, and
    a 1987 D. No silver, yet.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @kurisu I don't know much about the 97 but I agree the 31 is gorgeous!

Thanks!
    The 1 in Neck is fascinating because there is a still a debate as to exactly what happened there.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1897-1c-1-neck-bn/92196
    Look at the total population, it's like 30 or so :-)

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu looks like a match to me.

• Options

@Kurisu I just went and checked my 4 Iil Indians, no 97 but you just created a monster...As I was checking them I realized they encompass the best of both my worlds, Lincolns cents & gold Indians combined, lol thanks.

Check the luster on this beaut :)

• Options

Found one more.
    Wish I had the Whitman’s of Indians my great grandmother was showing me as a kid back in 72.
    Maybe it finally took - RIP GG Wood :)

• Options
    edited December 13, 2020 10:49AM

Does anyone here love Mint rolls as much as I do?!

I only started actually searching them a few years ago...for me it's like a precision operation I so thoroughly enjoy...
    I love the thought of them being utterly pristine and having to be that careful with them.
    It's incredibly zen. Like getting lost in an amazing meditation session and then you can't stop smiling.
    I'll see if I can show you what I mean...

Here's a Return to Monticello roll.
    ALL full steps! Gotta love the Mint rolls! :smiley:
    The blue toning on these was something different pretty striking and fun, the frost around the edges isn't quite as dramatic in normal light or nearly as opaque. One satin finish nickel was a nice surprise from the Mint too!
    I swear they know it and U.S. Mint roll wrappers are designed to cause toning!
    I had sun shining in which I usually try to do when I'm opening and initially searching.
    But then I again switch to another precision mode later of grading style single light darker room and re-checking every single one for my grading guess and possible varieties...I don't usually time it but it takes a very pleasant 15 to 45 minutes or so per roll depending on how exciting the finds are.

And a couple of the winners from this roll. One no toning, one just beginning it's life of toning...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

A true story...
    I haven't been in a bank lobby in over 9 months.
    I haven't searched circulated rolls from a local bank in about 20 years. True. I much prefer my vintage and mint rolls.

I went to my ATM at a large branch and noticed the lobby was open and empty.
    Only 1 teller out of 20 was working and she's known me for years.
    I was really curious about getting rolls and the coin shortage because it actually has not effected me whatsoever!

She said we have about 10 rolls, total, in the whole bank! I was shocked and immediately said I'll take them all!
    "$150 please." I was confused.
    Turns out she had 10 rolls of quarters and two of small dollars.

The best part... She put them in a sealed bank bag and then literally threw them on to the counter as if they were almost to heavy to lift... then one by one inside the plastic bank bag she hit and smashed them all over and over until they all went through the tiny opening under her window...I was cringing and ecstatic all at the same time lol!

All of them hand rolls that she said someone just turned in, possibly a great sign :-)
    Either way after a 20 something year break from doing this kind of search it's going to be fun!!!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu You did better than me today. Monday is typically the day I hit banks so, along my travels I stopped at 10 banks, I got 8 "I'm sorry but you have to have an account with us" stories, one said come back tomorrow I have to verify the rolls first, and lastly a box of very light fed rolls.
    Which is all well and good as I still have 4 boxes at home to go through. Most of which are fed rolls, very boring, very dirty, and usually pretty lame.
    Good luck & post any goodies you may find.

• Options

I still have rolls of pennies and nickels unsearched from 10 years ago. Plus the change I threw in jars over the years, unsearched as well. Of course instead of searching those I am doing the Half dollars. I might hit another branch that I go to to pick up another box of half dollars. They are bigger and easier on these old eyes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file