JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 11:09PM

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

What does that mean exactly?

• Options

So frustrating is this coin shortage thing. I really hope it ends soon.
    A couple weeks ago before said shortage hit here this particular bank only had eight customer wrapped rolls and they were some really nice coins. The best I have ever seen and especially in just a few rolls.
    So, I made the 45 minute drive back last week only to be told that they had more but were not yet verified.
    So, I went again today and now they have been verified but the new news is they can only sell two rolls.
    I bought them which were now in new wrappers but had the same luster bombs in them.

Out of the two rolls today came this 1989 D and a few other 2008's (not shown) that may also get a glamour shot.
    Not sure yet, obviously they have to hit 68 to make the trip worthwhile to our lovely host :)
    Yes, I will be going back daily for my two rolls, who knows maybe I can trade a box of fed rolls. If that doesn't work I'll try Kolaches, maybe beer!

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    I don't care the date or the denomination...keep those finds coming...it is always nice to know that there are many coins in circulation yet to be had. :) I would like to know if there were found in eastern, mid or western states, even if found in your spouses pocketbook / wallet. lol :D

I think I missed this question, I think. The burbs north of Houston. But now that you mention it I will check the wife’s purse tonight 😂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever .... Nice red cents for almost 40 year old coins...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I realized my cell pics are too bright so I turned down the brightness to match the true color of the background (towel).
    It brings out the color and contrasts however the pics are out of focus. Hopefully the TVs do them justice.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found just a min ago, in a red print only roll.
    Could be loomis.
    First a crazy 86 with out a tan, both sides.
    Color is very even as maybe a shade of taulp.
    Second a floating roof on a 94.
    Looks like the roof leaked for a while.
    But still gonna add to the files.

Over and out.

• Options
    Poseidon89Poseidon89 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

The coin shortage continues to frustrate, but I was able to scrounge up $80 in Qs from a few banks. I was looking for a W, but found this instead. I’ll take it!

With such small volume I was shocked to find any silver.

• Options

Silver is a good find anywhere now....Scarcity makes it seem we are more likely to find silver coins metal detecting than in rolls or change. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Poseidon89Poseidon89 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

@Poseidon89 said:
    The coin shortage continues to frustrate, but I was able to scrounge up $80 in Qs from a few banks. I was looking for a W, but found this instead. I’ll take it!

It almost looks like a circulated proof because it looks like it has mirror-like fields.

Thanks for mentioning that. I was thinking myself that it may be proof, but was having a hard time determining if it is or not.

Any good ways that folks now of to figure that out for sure?

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 8:57AM

I’ve been lucky with varieties recently. Yesterday out of 21 SBA dollars I found one wide rim and today out of 3 rolls of quarters I found a Spitting horse quarter.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I just gave up on CRH. It got to be too much work. Only asking for Mint rolls from the bank now. I only buy to submit for grading.

• Options

It is a lot of work and a lot of foot work too. To be at the right place at the right time. It takes persistence to be lucky.
    I'll be posting my grades & TV's in a few days or so. Hopefully, they were worth the work.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Poseidon89 said:

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

@Poseidon89 said:

It almost looks like a circulated proof because it looks like it has mirror-like fields.

Thanks for mentioning that. I was thinking myself that it may be proof, but was having a hard time determining if it is or not.

Any good ways that folks now of to figure that out for sure?

Yes - your quarter has mirrored fields, square rims, and a Type B reverse design. Together, these all point to proof.

All 1961 proof quarters were struck with the Type B reverse. A minority of business strike 1961 quarters were also struck with the Type B reverse, but they would not have the mirrored fields or square rims. Yours really looks like a proof from the photos, and I suspect the mirrors on your coin would be even more apparent if it was lit to show them off a bit better.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I found these while roll hunting the other day. The bottom 12 have reflective surfaces, especially on the reverses. The top 4 are just regular looking and are for perspective only. I will assume these are the attributes for PL. Do you think any of these would qualify? And why or why not? Thanks!

More perspective, Regular in the middle.

@joej132 Heyyyy Joe over hereeeee😂

• Options

Nice cents, however, I do not think they qualify as PL....just not sharp enough features....JMO... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 3:04PM

@SaorAlba Nice score! I can hardly wait until this coin shortage thing is over.
    Good luck with the new job!

• Options

Pocket change find at the end of the day reveals ...could it be ?
    Na. Just a vitamin, Zinc. But all is not lost, This 1982 D small date, Zinc, (2.1) will fill a gap if needed.
    Now where's my Nitro pills ?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My lucky bank has closed.

• Options

Correction...2.5 ( my last post)
    Found this today.

• Options

I'm on the board!
    And the night was...young?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be ripping into over the weekend. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2020 8:16PM

Got into some good ones today. The rolls in the middle are mostly copper with a few shiners sprinkled in. A lot of 84’s and nothing newer than 87 made for some nice toning.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I'm on the board!
    And the night was...young?

Very nice 👍

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    My lucky bank has closed.

Maybe that luck will follow the path of least resistance and you'll find the same coins down the street.

• Options
    AzjediAzjedi Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

I recently got a Indian Head penny and early Lincoln cents roll i found a 1859 Indian head for my book.

• Options

I found close to a dollar in change last week but no keepers.

• Options

Nothing for the last week and a half or so.... and no silver for a long time. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Azjedi said:
    I recently got a Indian Head penny and early Lincoln cents roll i found a 1859 Indian head for my book.

I found this Indian in a fed box in early February. It was my first one and I was really surprised. Also, a 1915 and another good album coin, the 1972.
    Happy Hunting!
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12533270/#Comment_12533270

• Options

I was thinking about roll hunting, but where can I buy some? I've seen some people saying that you can get them at any old store, and some saying they have to come from a bank... any advice?

• Options

@ricko said:
    Nothing for the last week and a half or so.... and no silver for a long time. Cheers, RickO

Still pocket fuzz and broken paper clips here.
    I think I am the Charlie Brown of Coinstars.😆

• Options

I don't bother myself CRH from the bank anymore. I have other top secret avenues I am taking now.😈

• Options

@Modwriter said:
    I don't bother myself CRH from the bank anymore. I have other top secret avenues I am taking now.😈

Do tell. And before I walk into a bank demanding the oldest rolls from the vault...Fill the bag you ole hag >:)

• Options

I was thinking about roll hunting, but where can I buy some? I've seen some people saying that you can get them at any old store, and some saying they have to come from a bank... any advice?

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bkins1880 said:

Banks.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2020 5:46AM

Banks are the better place to ask for rolls. Stores often have them, but with the change shortage, they are unlikely to part with them. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Bkins1880 said:

Banks are the easiest place although many will require you have an account. Chase and Wells Fargo do not in my area. This week I will open accounts at two more community banks that will give me access to at least 20 more banks. Then you want to ask for customer wrapped rolls on top of a box of fed rolls. The fed rolls could be old but usually they are junk so it’s good to check. One outta five the customer rolls will be very clean with high grades and including mostly copper. When this happens you can start to determine a time frame of when the coins were saved and obviously recently cashed in. ie. My last haul had lots of 81 to 87 with nothing newer and the rest were late 60 and 70’s.
    The other 4 times you will end up with another collectors drop which is even worse than fed rolls.
    An obnoxious amount of persistence, determination, and luck are prerequisite 😳

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2020 4:32PM

Dollars were all Ikes. Nothing more. Hopefully a quarter keeper and some S wheats!

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2020 5:07PM

decided to move my thread. If not there would be endless scrolling lol

• Options
    edited October 27, 2020 9:09PM

@JoeyCoins edit: Wrong Joey @joeykoins
    Let the games begin :*

• Options

1 down 9 to go...

• Options

@Mdcoincollector2003.... Congratulations... That is a definite score.... Keep checking that bank. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Certainly not earth shattering but an unexpected find.
    I cannot recall finding one of these before... and I have been searching rolls since Nixon was president.
    Tough circ coin as well because most were hoarded speculatively.

• Options

@mannie gray Small date?

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @mannie gray Small date?

Yes sir

• Options

@mannie gray said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @mannie gray Small date?

Yes sir

Nice. I have found a few of them but I can go through a box of cents quicker than a coin star can count em.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file