Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

WAYNEAS,
    Maybe its just the way the pic is presented.
    Look at the first A compaired to the second A.
    If still confused, look at my post of the same.
    Forget close or wide, its the line of type style and size troubling me. Book? Should be a newspaper.
    I make my observations and then do the follow up later.
    Don't forget, I stay in touch also.

• Options

1 roll a night in these times of CD's
    Nothing special. 1969 cent with structual damage on the rev.
    Call a roofer I cant find the I beams.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BenV said:
    Pulled this from a roll today, unfortunately there's a couple scratches across the face, but it's pretty impressive for 81 years old!

Great find!

• Options
    Poseidon89Poseidon89 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

I considered posting this in its own thread, but I figured I would start here in the CRH thread -

I have a perplexing situation that I am curious if anyone else has come across. I picked up a box of pennies from the bank and every single cent in the box was 1982-2020.

The box was totally legit. Unopened, straight from the vault. All the rolls inside were normal, the same as every other box I've looked through.

Knowing that 82 was the year they changed the composition from 95% copper to 2.5%, there's no way that this can be a coincidence.

Is it possible that this has something to do with the way the sorting machines take into account the weight of the coins? If so, I wonder if its possible to find a box that is the complete opposite, and filled mostly (or entirely) with pre-82 cents?

The whole thing is odd. Any insight that folks have from past experience would be much appreciated.

• Options

Just sharing a step in the way I pick a roll out of a box. I open appox. 1-2 rolls a night, every night, (Ya no life huh!) .
    To expidite the finds I weigh them and if over 131.5 thats the roll to be escavated. Lol, you know what I mean.
    FYI: Tinder is Mans (+/ - ) 2nd best friend.

• Options

Achew....Pardon me...
    Found somthing interesting.
    I'm speachless.
    But she's loud......

• Options

Just one more.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    Just one more.

What are you trying to get at with the ultra closeups of damaged/corroded/found in the sewer pieces of crap coins?
    I think you have derailed, trivialised, and junked up a useful and informative thread.
    Just my 2c (and no, my 2c were not found in a truck stop urinal.)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    Just one more.

Do you see a coyote looking right or an asteroid in flight?

• Options

Jim Morrison said it best.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Mz_IqpZX8

• Options

@Poseidon89 said:
    I considered posting this in its own thread, but I figured I would start here in the CRH thread -

I have a perplexing situation that I am curious if anyone else has come across. I picked up a box of pennies from the bank and every single cent in the box was 1982-2020.

The box was totally legit. Unopened, straight from the vault. All the rolls inside were normal, the same as every other box I've looked through.

Knowing that 82 was the year they changed the composition from 95% copper to 2.5%, there's no way that this can be a coincidence.

Is it possible that this has something to do with the way the sorting machines take into account the weight of the coins? If so, I wonder if its possible to find a box that is the complete opposite, and filled mostly (or entirely) with pre-82 cents?

The whole thing is odd. Any insight that folks have from past experience would be much appreciated.

Was it fed boxes or armor freight? I'm guessing you meant fed. I've seen plenty of home rolled like that and they have simply been gone through already. When fed rolls are that bad you still usually find a wheat or two.
    I always ask for the customer wrapped because they are either real good or real bad and almost always higher quality coins.

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    I picked up 2 boxes of cents a few weeks ago in anticipation of some downtime/home imprisonment/lockdown and just found this:

This coin was the only wheat cent in the whole box.
    It was about 1/2 & 1/2 customer rolled.
    This is a date I am sure was a first in circulation for me.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I created a separate thread prior t
    o seeing this one. I have Brinks rolls I purchased in 1987 and have kept ever since. All are '87-D's. One of them was pretty cool so I had it graded...
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1034889/lincoln-cent-with-feather#latest

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    I created a separate thread prior t
    o seeing this one. I have Brinks rolls I purchased in 1987 and have kept ever since. All are '87-D's. One of them was pretty cool so I had it graded...
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1034889/lincoln-cent-with-feather#latest

Yes that is very cool.

• Options

@sedulous . Nice Lincs. Do the enders all look to have the same strength in strike? I would definitely be opening those stronger ones first.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2020 5:12PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @sedulous . Nice Lincs. Do the enders all look to have the same strength in strike? I would definitely be opening those stronger ones first.

I took pictures at the end of each of the rolls... a collage of the remaining 11 unwrapped rolls I still have. I also have some, obviously, that I unwrapped and I am not showing them here (in those square tubes). I am thinking about selling all of these 11 throwing in the 4 or 5 I opened. Might be interesting to someone who wants to take the time to look through them for the newly identified D/D. Some show some vivid coloring - probably from the paper wrapper sulfer?. Others show MD a bit the closer you get to the edge. The ends of the rolls for the most part look like it went through a counter or was roller-scratched from the rolling process. the 48 on the inside do not exhibit this and are un-damaged with planchet surfaces for a majority of the coins (per the ones I have opened). A few of those ends also have some sort of black spotting.

Here are open roll inside coin pics:

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Last night...uneventfull (1 roll )
    Although found 2 , 82's (cent) both wt. 3.1.
    (Copper).
    Both clean, 2 different aloys.
    1. Small
    1. Large

• Options

Just found ahhhhh... 1992 cent very clean.
    You be the jury as to the AM.

• Options
    Poseidon89Poseidon89 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Poseidon89 said:

Was it fed boxes or armor freight? I'm guessing you meant fed. I've seen plenty of home rolled like that and they have simply been gone through already. When fed rolls are that bad you still usually find a wheat or two.
    I always ask for the customer wrapped because they are either real good or real bad and almost always higher quality coins.

It was a fed box, definitely not CWRs, which is why I was so confused. Not sure what "armor freight" is - do you mean like Loomis? It was a closed and sealed box, and all rolls were intact.

Literally not a SINGLE pre-1982 cent. Not one.

And I agree with you on the customer rolls vs. boxed rolls. I feel like getting a sealed box is more consistent (usually you know you'll find some things, but nothing spectacular) whereas the CWRs are higher risk/higher reward. Maybe you get a full roll of Wheaties, or maybe you get $25 of someone's coin dump and its been totally picked through.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

in my opinion you have a md date and a wide am variety :/

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@sedulous . I'd be interested, I think I still need an 87 d for my set. And at least a 67. That last pic looks 67+.

• Options

@Poseidon89 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Poseidon89 said:

It was a fed box, definitely not CWRs, which is why I was so confused. Not sure what "armor freight" is - do you mean like Loomis? It was a closed and sealed box, and all rolls were intact.

Literally not a SINGLE pre-1982 cent. Not one.

And I agree with you on the customer rolls vs. boxed rolls. I feel like getting a sealed box is more consistent (usually you know you'll find some things, but nothing spectacular) whereas the CWRs are higher risk/higher reward. Maybe you get a full roll of Wheaties, or maybe you get $25 of someone's coin dump and its been totally picked through.

Fed rolls are very boring until they're not. But opening them is like walking through a desert for days. And with the CWRs you'll know within a couple rolls if you have previously searched coins or not.

• Options

Yea Loomis etc.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @sedulous . I'd be interested, I think I still need an 87 d for my set. And at least a 67. That last pic looks 67+.

I'm sure I have one, give me a few days.
    Also,
    Wayne ya I was kinda streching the view with the camera.
    Why ? if struck as a double die, you'll have a close.
    Thanks.

• Options

Found an interesting one today.
    It has a hammered strike and flashes of 68 bright purple grapes while illuminating in the evening sunset...
    (sorry I read Heritage Auction descriptions maybe too much). :D
    I'm curious how it grade though, I would have it so if I thought the TV would show the toning (only seen at angle) and just because it looks so nice.
    But turn up the magnification and it seems these grapes have been trampled under foot.
    Maybe this falls under the "Coin In Hand" looks so good category.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like a Zinfandel....or an early Merlot.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU- but interesting color

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

I kinda been on the fence regarding 82's
    and this is ,... why.!?
    wt.3.1.
    Found in a roll a couple weeks back.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    I kinda been on the fence regarding 82's
    and this is ,... why.!?
    wt.3.1.
    Found in a roll a couple weeks back.

Nothing doing here unless a Denver. Right???

• Options

In Denver that is. LOL

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    In Denver that is. LOL

lol, okay! Nuff said, Pm me your address I’m gonna send you a box of dry cents.
    You would think being in Denver you would have the upper hand.

• Options

It's damaged by a coin rolling machine.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    It's damaged by a coin rolling machine.

Still, the weight doesn’t matter unless “D”

• Options

Yep

• Options

@emeraldATV . Stop licking the coins, stay away from the light too...

• Options
    edited April 27, 2020 7:33PM

My thoughts about "being a Denver"
    Don't do it your own backyard.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    My thoughts about "being in Denver"
    Don't do it your own backyard.

Why not?

• Options

It's an old saying.
    Which is better said in a locker room.
    Meanwhile back at the ranch, I have a roll open.
    will post if anything appears.

• Options

Hmmm...Time travel.
    Now I'm really confused. Burp !

• Options

Just exactly what is confusing you?? Or is it a general condition?? :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Now I feel like a news coresponder reporting on a epidemic.
    I was gonna post in the humor thread.
    192 (2 is a small) 8. (1928)
    Liberty looks like a dart board for the letter (MM?) S.
    And I must say someone is very skilled or just showing off.

Value?
    Knowledge gained ?
    Hate mail ?
    Reputation...hick up...burp ?
    Excuse me, and this post !

P.S. I can waste more time on photo's but that means searching my backyard where I threw it._

• Options

The hunt for mint state sixty eight continues...
    A couple of candidates already.

• Options

Is the purpose of the hunt for a registry set? Or a personal series collection? Good luck with your hunt... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Is the purpose of the hunt for a registry set? Or a personal series collection? Good luck with your hunt... Cheers, RickO

Registry Set! (Silver65) There are 423 in the Lincoln series and I still need 386 :D The modern stuff is pretty easy to find at least in MS67. I will need to get a bit more creative for the older pre 1970's and ultimately have to purchase most of those. Meanwhile the moderns only cost time and grading fees and its fun and rewarding when you hit.
    Thanks Ricko!

• Options

@CoinscratchFever....I just saw two brand new 2020 cents at the checkout counter in Sam's club.... not sure why they were sitting there, but were not my change. They looked like they just came from the mint....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Looks like a die crack from the first "a" in Hawaii through the 9 then the 5 then the bicep. If a die cracks in half maybe it allows more Vibration and gives the machine doubling effect.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file