Home U.S. Coin Forum

Your Favorite Coin Purchase of 2019

13»

Comments

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow some real nice stuff here everybody!! Wish i could find stuff like this at the local shows.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

A PCGS MS70 FDOI Legion half dollar. Current population 12. I picked it up for $69.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2019 11:29PM

@CWT1863 said:
    Tough decision. Probably one of these:
    [...]

[...]

Love the William Henry Bridgens tokens! The eagle is especially sharp on that copper-nickel Amelia Gavron butcher token. I have an interest in Bridgens and was wondering if you include these among your favorites because of an interest in him as well? Have you considered listing the die sinker in your photo captions?

• CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Love the William Henry Bridgens tokens! The eagle is especially sharp on that copper-nickel Amelia Gavron butcher token. I have an interest in Bridgens and was wondering if you include these among your favorites because of an interest in him as well? Have you considered listing the die sinker in your photo captions?

Thank you! No, I do not have a special interest in Bridgens. I usually do not collect by die sinker but that is a great approach. For the Ellwood token, there are two obverse dies known. Interestingly, the other one was by Chicago die sinker Shubael D. Childs while the one above was by Bridgens.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

edited December 25, 2019 11:01AM

@CWT1863 said:

@Zoins said:

Thank you! No, I do not have a special interest in Bridgens. I usually do not collect by die sinker but that is a great approach. For the Ellwood token, there are two obverse dies known. Interestingly, the other one was by Chicago die sinker Shubael D. Childs while the one above was by Bridgens.

Good info on Ellwood. I'm fascinated by people who move across states and get tokens from different places.

Do you have a specific approach to how you collect? For example, Rich Rossa primarily collected New York Civil War Tokens.

• CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Good info on Ellwood. I'm fascinated by people who move across states and get tokens from different places.

Do you have a specific approach to how you collect? For example, Rich Rossa primarily collected New York Civil War Tokens.

I am all over the place when it comes to collecting. I keep trying to focus on a specific state or two but I end up expanding to other states. My first CWT was from Cincinnati so I initially started with Ohio but I have since added Illinois and Indiana to the list. Currently, I am also starting to focus a little more on New York. My main approach is to acquire tokens that are in uncirculated condition and have great provenance. My long term goal is to collect as many of the CWT issuing merchants as possible. It is impossible to get all of the merchants but I would like to get as close as possible. What is your approach to collecting?

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

edited December 26, 2019 3:04AM

@CWT1863 said:

@Zoins said:

I am all over the place when it comes to collecting. I keep trying to focus on a specific state or two but I end up expanding to other states. My first CWT was from Cincinnati so I initially started with Ohio but I have since added Illinois and Indiana to the list. Currently, I am also starting to focus a little more on New York. My main approach is to acquire tokens that are in uncirculated condition and have great provenance. My long term goal is to collect as many of the CWT issuing merchants as possible. It is impossible to get all of the merchants but I would like to get as close as possible. What is your approach to collecting?

I have a few avenues of interest:

• Specific die sinkers
    • Merchants of note - basically significant businesses that have pages on Wikipedia
    • Patriotics with good messages

Bridgens has done tokens for both Ellwood and Orr who had significant businesses so I like that combination.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:

Still have that 55-O 25c?

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! What are they graded?

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 12:56PM

They don't come much nicer!
    Sorry this one purchased in 2019

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

Very nice! What are they graded?

Glad you like them! In order: MS67, AU58 and PR63.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@coinsarefun said:

This looks almost brass, which to my knowledge exists only in the ANS Collection

1863 Matthews

>

Yes, it is brass. In the auction pic it looked copper. I thought they only came in copper
    but broadstruck said he thought they came in both.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    Yes, it is brass. In the auction pic it looked copper. I thought they only came in copper
    but broadstruck said he thought they came in both.

Very interesting. You might have something very special here!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I would have to say it is a tie between my Davis and Wiener set of British cathedral medals.

• 78saen78saen Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the look of this one.

liefgold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file