Home Precious Metals
Options

The Never Ending FRIDAY Metals Thread!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 2:05PM

Most silver flatware from the larger London shops have these, at least from the late 1700’s through the 1800’s:

London, 1788:

London, 1787:

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    @Kliao @ricko
    I like that you guys noticed those marks. Usually people overlook them or at least don’t mention them.

Those are journeyman marks. The true maker of the spoon. Mine appears to be a zero and eight.

Larger shops, like George Adams of Chawner & Co had multiple silversmiths working for them. These are their marks. Probably a dual purpose, quality control and so the guy gets paid for his work.

Typically there’s only one mark, but sometimes two.

With two, I’m assuming one is the person who forged the spoon and the other perhaps someone else did the thread stamping of the spoon, the “thread” decoration. (The lines along the edges).

That’s really interesting didn’t know that.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao if you are interested In British silverware, the book by Ian Pickford, Silver Flatware, English, Irish and Scottish is a must have.

It covers patterns, hallmarks and other things. 👍

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland....Thanks for the inputs... I will make a note of that book, just in case I start to find some silverware. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @asheland....Thanks for the inputs... I will make a note of that book, just in case I start to find some silverware. Cheers, RickO

It’s a cool book. One of my favorites. 👍

• Options

Yesterday’s NEWP, 1857 $3

:smiley:

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin...any particular reason for adding it. I know you have completed the type set, have upgraded some. Was this an upgrade, a good deal, or just adding good looking gold?

• Options

@SimpleCollector said:
    Nice coin...any particular reason for adding it. I know you have completed the type set, have upgraded some. Was this an upgrade, a good deal, or just adding good looking gold?

Just adding a decent looking $3. I could buy multiple $3’s and gold dollars. I just like them. :)

• Options

I’m really wanting classic head gold and other mints Dahlonega, Carson City, Denver and would like some no motto gold, too.

Gold is fun. >:)

• Options

Another ebay find:
    London, 1763 with an epic lion crest!

• Options

Nice!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley .... Are those coins dug from sites all over the world? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Baley cool picture. 👍

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like metal

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@Kliao.... Very nice spoon.... What was the purpose of the holes in the spoon? Or was this strictly a decorative piece? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Kliao.... Very nice spoon.... What was the purpose of the holes in the spoon? Or was this strictly a decorative piece? Cheers, RickO

I really am not sure. I would think it could go bow that ways with its engraving in the bowl for decorative purposes or for use with the holes in it. The bowl is really unusually shaped. What I thought was interested was that the holes are hand done because you can see in inconstancies in all the holes.

• Options

That's a strainer spoon of some sort, very cool!

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are my favorites from my silver utensils collection. Nouveau and Deco lines with hand engraved weighted handle Sporks!

• Options

@WildIdea said:
    These are my favorites from my silver utensils collection. Nouveau and Deco lines with hand engraved weighted handle Sporks!

Very nice! 👍

• Options

Today’s little newp. >:)

• Options
    GTOsterGTOster Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:

Is that an SR on the handle?

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2020 5:44AM

• Options
    edited June 15, 2020 5:44AM

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@taxmad said:

@WildIdea said:

Yes, Looks like it to me. Does that mean anything to you?

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:

@taxmad said:

@WildIdea said:

Yes, Looks like it to me. Does that mean anything to you?

Yes - those are my initials and I lost a set just like that around 1908. I will pm you my address - thanks

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

After self-distancing and self-quarantining comes self-refining

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

90%? 99.9%? sterling?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2020 5:43AM

• Options

My first bullion purchase in a while.

• Options

Saturday NEWPS. B)

• Options

@asheland,....I like those small pirate cubes.....Just checked their site, other interesting pieces too. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @asheland,....I like those small pirate cubes.....Just checked their site, other interesting pieces too. Cheers, RickO

Yeah, MK Barz makes some fun stuff. They are pricey to buy from direct. I got these from work for a premium, but significantly cheaper that from them direct. :)

• Options

@asheland ....Cheaper is good... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    90%? 99.9%? sterling?

Sterling. Silverware, mostly. A few rings and other .925. It's an arduous and toxic process to Get to 9995 , but the refinery boss gave me kudos ( not to be confused with cooties).

• Options
    edited July 4, 2020 8:38AM

Here’s a neat boxed set. Sterling silver demitasse spoons with gold plating and enamel. A rare early set by Norwegian maker J. Tostrup. All but one have Tostrup‘s early mark which seem to be quite rare as I have only seen one other set like this with the older mark that sold for over $200 while sets with the newer mark sell for about half. The red spoon does have some enamel damage and the white one to the left I believe to be a replacement as it has the newer mark. Got this at a estate sale a year or so ago for $4.

• Options

@Kliao....Nice set....I have not seen a set like that before....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Kliao said:
    Here’s a neat boxed set. Sterling silver demitasse spoons with gold plating and enamel. A rare early set by Norwegian maker J. Tostrup. All but one have Tostrup‘s early mark which seem to be quite rare as I have only seen one other set like this with the older mark that sold for over $200 while sets with the newer mark sell for about half. The red spoon does have some enamel damage and the white one to the left I believe to be a replacement as it has the newer mark. Got this at a estate sale a year or so ago for $4.

Great find! 👍

• Options

A gift from a friend today. 👍

• Options

Silver rounds make a good gift for coin collectors or PM stackers....Though I do prefer coins to rounds. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

40% Precious! Been looking for a while for the Mel Wacks Reagan Dollar...