Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where did all of the colorful Peace dollars come from

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walking the ANA floor I am struck with the number of straight graded rainbow tones Peace Dollars. Is it just me or are these becoming more common in the market for some reason :#

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Great British Bake Off" maybe?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a few on the bourse that looked like edynamicmarketing gassed slabs.
    There were some from the 314 NGC hoard.
    And some looked natural.

Dealers might have them out for sale now since prices are rising and there may be more demand.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

The oven

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Market demand.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet if you tripled the price of 1970-S proof sets, you'd suddenly find a lot of them on the bourse also. Would you consider them counterfeits?

• Options
    edited August 14, 2019 8:06PM

Being "...contrary to the decisions PCGS was making in assigning problem-free grades to numerous Peace Dollars which displayed some of those colors," does not mean that David Hall was incorrect.

One must remember that tens of millions of Morgan dollars were subject to destructive storage conditions. These conditions encouraged discoloration - toning. The GSA records further confirm 1897-1901 Philadelphia Mint documents. Peace dollars were stored in much newer vaults, in dry conditions, and away from contaminants. Out of all the GSA coins not one rainbow toned Peace dollar emerged. (OK, someone check this for coins still in original holders.)

Recent plethora of rainbow toned Peace dollars is very suspicious - regardless of who puts them in plastic slabs.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2019 8:26PM

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:
    I think it’s wonderful that so many posters to this thread apparently saw the coins today and have evaluated them objectively. 😉

I'm having David Hall déjà vu:

"Note that I am of the very strong opinion that any 1921 Peace dollar...indeed any Peace dollar...that has any rainbow colors (blue, red, green, etc.) is absolutely artificially toned. While not very scientific, my approach to toning on coins is to remember the colors I saw in the 1960s and 1970s and if a new look appears, it's artificial to me. This is kind of an "old school" approach and I may be wrong, but unless you believe global warming has created new colors for coins, it just seems illogical to me that new colors would suddenly appear naturally on coins."

-- David Hall, October 2009

I remember reading those comments at the time they were posted. And thinking that 1) they were unrealistically all-encompassing and 2) they were contrary to the decisions PCGS was making in assigning problem-free grades to numerous Peace Dollars which displayed some of those colors.

I agree. David Hall's position is, I think, naive. People used to dip. People preferred blast white. The market in the 60s and 70s reflected this. Coins from airless vaults may not have toned much. But there is no doubt that cardboard holders will "naturally" (?) tone silver coins. And it doesn't take 50 years to happen.

There is also the issue of pricing bias. An ANA Heritage auction will always have more 1889-CC dollars than 1881-S dollars. An ANA Heritage auction will always have more MS66 coins than MS62 coins. That isn't because those are suddenly proliferating. It is because the pricing gets them placed front and center. The presence of toners in the marketplace, especially for common coins like the Peace $ simply reflect that common Peace $s even in high gem grade don't make anyone whip out their wallet.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unblemished and pure blast or not so blasting white Peace for me too .......... I go to Morgan for tone :)
    I could not understand how so many managed to tone in their own skin while others don't :#

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abcde that is a interesting combination with those silver crystals. What do you call that and can you post a full picture? TYIA.

• Options

For Peace dollars, I feel that many - especially those with rainbow colors - are products of artificial methods. Too many examples; too great a similarity; too suddenly available. I don't presume to separate paper napkin toned from E-Z Bake toned from gas toned and the like. Authentication businesses are supposed to have that expertise.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    For Peace dollars, I feel that many - especially those with rainbow colors - are products of artificial methods. Too many examples; too great a similarity; too suddenly available. I don't presume to separate paper napkin toned from E-Z Bake toned from gas toned and the like. Authentication businesses are supposed to have that expertise.

Then, when all is said and done, you disagree with Mr. Hall's comments, as they allowed for no exceptions. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Who knows?

Quite possibly the finest Peace dollar in existence or something like that at the time it was first posted [then toasted] here.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please respond to my NEW POLL on toning. Thanks.

• Options

@Realone said:
    I don't listen to what Mr Hall says, but I do know that he appreciates blast white coins therefore maybe he is biased in what he has seen over the years because he wants to see what he wants which is white i.e. untoned coins.

His observations IIRC and esp. with Morgans were the result of having seen the contents of many unopened original bags over the years. What qualifications/experiences do you have to contradict him?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the "badger" has nailed it. while HRH has an opinion based on many, many years of experience that was actually looking at fresh-to-the-market coins, the "Realone" has an opinion based on anecdotal evidence.

I think I'll go with HRH. B)

• Options
    edited August 15, 2019 9:52AM

Except that talking about bank bags from vaults isn't the same as talking about coins from cabinets, albums, paper envelopes, rolls, etc.

Even a canvas bag in your basement will tone differently than a canvas bag in a dry, stale air government vault.

• Options

BAJJERFAN - there is little dispute about many Morgan dollars. The discussion refers to Peace dollars.

BryceM seems to have expressed the situation very well.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    BAJJERFAN - there is little dispute about many Morgan dollars. The discussion refers to Peace dollars.

Agreed. Kudos to @BryceM

I would always hesitate to pay a premium either for color or lack of color. Any change is then guaranteed to disappoint.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Except that talking about bank bags from vaults isn't the same as talking about coins from cabinets, albums, paper envelopes, rolls, etc.

Even a canvas bag in your basement will tone differently than a canvas bag in a dry, stale air government vault.

Those are IMO C tier toners. What's the likelihood of finding one like my avatar in an album?

• Options

@RogerB said:

Yep and I have yet to see a Peace dollar picture posted here that's anywhere close to the monster category. 1921 Morgan toners are similarly scarce.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Those are IMO C tier toners. What's the likelihood of finding one like my avatar in an album?

There are all kinds of ways they tone. I saw some stellar ASE's that all had radial rainbow toning near the rim and extending into the coin. They were all "natural" as they were all in identical cardboard holders and I'm guessing it was NOT archival cardboard.

My only point is that once the stale old bags were dispersed in the 60s and 70s, those coins had 50 years of sitting in other environments that would lead to more, possibly interesting toning that wouldn't happen in the 1st 50 years in the vault bags.

I should also point out that I am one of those people that think it is tricky to draw a clear line between AT and NT. I think Ricko said it best when he said AT stands for "accelerated toning" rather than artificial. In some sense, ALL album toning is artificial and ALL album toning is natural.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

One dealer has a full case of vibrant Morganesque Peace Dollar toners for big money asks.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019 10:28AM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@keets said:
    the "badger" has nailed it. while HRH has an opinion based on many, many years of experience that was actually looking at fresh-to-the-market coins, the "Realone" has an opinion based on anecdotal evidence.

From THE MAN who would know.

https://pcgs.com/news/Morgan-Dollarsback-In-The-Day

"I've bought and sold so many 1000 coin bags of dollars it's amazing. Here are three bag stories.

First, for you toner fans. When fresh, original $1000 (1000 coin) bags were available, there were usually some great toners in the bags, and occasionally some really wild ones. When frosty Choice Uncs were $10 retail, I used to retail the insane coins for $20 to $25, and if I got something absolutely beyond wild Wayne Miller would give me $25 or $30 for it. Sure wish I would have kept 20 of the wildest. Here's the catch. I probably personally bought and sold several million common date uncirculated dollars, and I've probably seen 10 million uncirculated dollars. The toners weren't that easy to find back in the day when they were $8 or 10 a coin. If I would have saved every coin I saw, I bet it wouldn't have been much more than 100 or 200 coins out of the 10 million. That's why I'm very suspicious of some of today's toners. And many of the toners of today just aren't the same colors that were seen in the 1970s and 1980s. So unless you believe global warming is changing the color of Morgan dollars, there's something fishy about some of today's toners."

The above "bag stories" were probably from more than 30 years ago - more than enough time for a fair number of the Peace Dollars to have toned naturally (and even attractively), both in and out of bags.

In the case of Morgan dollars - I have searched through a few bags over the years and I'd gladly take the other side of this bet, even I had to give large odds: "The toners weren't that easy to find back in the day when they were $8 or 10 a coin. If I would have saved every coin I saw, I bet it wouldn't have been much more than 100 or 200 coins out of the 10 million."

Edited to add - Looking again at the quote from Mr. Hall, it appears contradictory to me. On one hand, it says "I've bought and sold so many 1000 coin bags of dollars it's amazing." and "When fresh, original $1000 (1000 coin) bags were available, there were usually some great toners in the bags, and occasionally some really wild ones." But on the other, it says "The toners weren't that easy to find back in the day when they were $8 or 10 a coin. If I would have saved every coin I saw, I bet it wouldn't have been much more than 100 or 200 coins out of the 10 million." I can't reconcile that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

theres just something about it that I just prefer to stay away from. jmo

• Options

@MFeld said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@keets said:

"I've bought and sold so many 1000 coin bags of dollars it's amazing. Here are three bag stories.

First, for you toner fans. When fresh, original $1000 (1000 coin) bags were available, there were usually some great toners in the bags, and occasionally some really wild ones. When frosty Choice Uncs were $10 retail, I used to retail the insane coins for $20 to $25, and if I got something absolutely beyond wild Wayne Miller would give me $25 or $30 for it. Sure wish I would have kept 20 of the wildest. Here's the catch. I probably personally bought and sold several million common date uncirculated dollars, and I've probably seen 10 million uncirculated dollars. The toners weren't that easy to find back in the day when they were $8 or 10 a coin. If I would have saved every coin I saw, I bet it wouldn't have been much more than 100 or 200 coins out of the 10 million. That's why I'm very suspicious of some of today's toners. And many of the toners of today just aren't the same colors that were seen in the 1970s and 1980s. So unless you believe global warming is changing the color of Morgan dollars, there's something fishy about some of today's toners."

The above "bag stories" were probably from more than 30 years ago - more than enough time for a fair number of the Peace Dollars to have toned naturally (and even attractively), both in and out of bags.

In the case of Morgan dollars - I have searched through a few bags over the years and I'd gladly take the other side of this bet, even I had to give large odds: "The toners weren't that easy to find back in the day when they were $8 or 10 a coin. If I would have saved every coin I saw, I bet it wouldn't have been much more than 100 or 200 coins out of the 10 million."

Edited to add - Looking again at the quote from Mr. Hall, it appears contradictory to me. On one hand, it says "I've bought and sold so many 1000 coin bags of dollars it's amazing." and "When fresh, original $1000 (1000 coin) bags were available, there were usually some great toners in the bags, and occasionally some really wild ones." But on the other, it says "The toners weren't that easy to find back in the day when they were $8 or 10 a coin. If I would have saved every coin I saw, I bet it wouldn't have been much more than 100 or 200 coins out of the 10 million." I can't reconcile that.

I felt the same way, but I'll let him come here and defend his comments. I don't think that's the only place where he said that the number of nice toners in a bag was very small.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking again at the quote from Mr. Hall...........................

Mark, I think if there were an over/under estimation by HRH it probably isn't the 100-200 really nice toners he seems to settle on, it's more likely the number of coins, his extimate being 10 million. I will assume that he wasn't saying he had searched that many coins in bags, but that many coins overall that he had looked at.

seen another way, 10 million coins is 10,000 bags of 1,000 coins each --- or --- one bag of Dollars every day for 27 years!!! :o

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@keets said:

Could be that he is calling opening groups of bags at once as just "bags"
    "When fresh, original $1000 (1000 coin) bags were available, there were usually some great toners in the [groups of(?)] bags, and occasionally some really wild ones."
    This would make more sense in the context I think. I'd be surprised if he just dealt one bag at a time every time. Maybe, just a thought.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file