Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019W Palladium Reverse Proof (19EK), On sale now, $2,437.50 .

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Be patient. It has now been over three weeks and I may be close to receiving the refund on a damaged coin from the Mint.

I got mine Friday after notification the prior Friday. That was just about 3 weeks.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting on two refunds on a "Not Received" from August 1st.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Spotting as in silver eagle milk spots?

I really don't know. It was very obvious. You didn't even need a magnifier to see it. I removed the holder thinking it was dust or something and got a magnifier. The spot looked like a birthmark. Sent it back. For that kind of money, I would expect better quality control. I'm disappointed.

• Options
    VpdVpd Posts: 47 ✭✭

Can’t blame you one bit. Thanks

• Options

I would imagine that most of the 69 graded 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium coins will have this spotting as well. I ordered one it will be here on Tuesday, I will be looking it over very carefully. Thank you for the heads up

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fortunately most of the big dealers are accepting of exchanges or returns. Not always, but often.
    Why would you imagine ALL 69’s would have this problem?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

I did'nt say all, If they had this spotting they would probably not be 70's. It is nice to have this information though, you spend $2000 on a coin you would expect great quality.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2019 11:30AM

@Malibu2016 said:
    I did'nt say all, If they had this spotting they would probably not be 70's. It is nice to have this information though, you spend $2000 on a coin you would expect great quality.

69s don't have to have spots to be 69s. They probably have some marks, maybe spotting, but so far we have one person talking about nondescript spotting.

If you want a 70, buy a 70. Buying it raw and expecting a 70 is a little bit too high an expectation in my personal opinion.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

If anyone ordered first day Palladium and are having second thoughts, please ping me prior to returning.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:

Spotting as in silver eagle milk spots?

I really don't know. It was very obvious. You didn't even need a magnifier to see it. I removed the holder thinking it was dust or something and got a magnifier. The spot looked like a birthmark. Sent it back. For that kind of money, I would expect better quality control. I'm disappointed.

Snap some pics before sending it back please.

• Options

:) I got mine today and the coin looks great with no noted spotting, very nice coin.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 12:53PM

@nurmaler said: (on the 14th)
    I don't know about first day sales, but there are currently 14,847 left in stock.

Reported bty the Mint:

9/15/2019 2019 AM EAGLE PALLADIUM PROOF 1 OZ 16,690

1,537 sold Sat night/Sunday.

edit: To fix my math...

• Options

There must have already been lots of returns/cancellations since Sunday, since there are 14,688 available to purchase right now.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

The palladium reverse proof coin is on a trajectory to come in (Mintage wise) around the same as the platinum reverse proof coin from 12 years ago. Only problem is that 12 year old platinum coin is essentially “almost worthless besides metal content value”. Why I find it difficult to buy my first Palladium coin this year. What am I missing?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@nurmaler said:
    There must have already been lots of returns/cancellations since Sunday, since there are 14,688 available to purchase right now.

Maybe they thought the decimal was in a different place when they bought it. ;)

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    The palladium reverse proof coin is on a trajectory to come in (Mintage wise) around the same as the platinum reverse proof coin from 12 years ago. Only problem is that 12 year old platinum coin is essentially “almost worthless besides metal content value”. Why I find it difficult to buy my first Palladium coin this year. What am I missing?

Wondercoin

People haven't gotten tired of the design yet. Ahh...remember the good old days when the Eagle designs were new and people wanted to collect them...

• Options

wondercoin,

I guess there are folks who purchase coins for their beauty and not necessarily for a return on investment. I’m in the camp of I want both beauty and an eventual return for my grandchildren. I share your concern that this series will become a Platinums series and that thought bothers me a great deal. Mean while, I sit patiently on the fence about this series awaiting Devine guidance. While it would be nice to own all the coins in a series, their eventual worth is important as well.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vpd... no question some folks purchase modern bullion coins for their beauty. I’m just not sure 20,000-30,000 folks are doing do that right now.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I would agree. Mint sales along with the after market traffic so far would confirm your statement.

• Options

Mitch...The gamble you would be taking is the spot price not the beauty of the coin.
    That is the challenge. Buy now with a possibly inflated spot price and certain inflated mintage (In comparison to the two previous issues) or wait it out.
    I am on hold. And I bought the two previous issues.

• Options

MilesWaits,

I seem to recall you’re waiting for a PCGS PR70 at a reasonable price. I may be subconsciously in the same boat which would explain my current fence sitting.

It is one beautiful coin I must say.

• Options

Correcto, VPD.
    And I am an Uber patient dude.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 3:52PM

Things have moved closer to reality. Pinehurst eBay pre-sale palladium 69's now the same as Mint price, not way below it.

Received mine just now and looked real nice in hand until I got out the magnifying glass and found 3 tiny claw mark scratches on Mercury's neck :'( She and the 2019 Liberty silver must have gotten into a cat fight.

So back to the Mint she goes. Can't win them all.

• Options

From the Mint email that was just sent notifying (those that haven't been paying attention) that limits were lifted...
    "Most coins for 2019 have been sold—so don’t wait to order yours!"
    Too funny!

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 2:52PM

lol, just got the ad from the Mint:

Most coins for 2019 have been sold—so don’t wait to order yours!

How optimistic! :D

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 2:52PM

@nurmaler said:
    From the Mint email that was just sent notifying (those that haven't been paying attention) that limits were lifted...
    "Most coins for 2019 have been sold—so don’t wait to order yours!"
    Too funny!

Beat me to it! :D

• Options

Better hurry up as I just received a US Mint email informing me the household limit has been removed and that most of the 2019 coins had been sold. Wishful thinking perhaps????

• Options

Just found out it takes a "week or two" to get a return label emailed to you, as they are really backed up.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 3:44PM

Ha. I felt unlucky at three or five days but, OK. You win, sadly.

• Options

And by backed up, I would imagine that means “2019 Silver Liberty” and snap, I paid what for this coin?!

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 5:20PM

@MilesWaits said:
    And by backed up, I would imagine that means “2019 Silver Liberty” and snap, I paid what for this coin?!

And....…….you are right!

Snap, crackle, pop rice crispies. (Acceptable string of cuss words, since I can't get even an emailed return label for more than a week, so it is pointless to ask for an exchange, as unlikely to make the 30 day FS window to PCGS, and it might be scratched again)

Hurry up, and wait.

• Options

Cereal

• Options

Yes, It has been a while since I saw a Rice Krispies ad but they were on sale so I bought a box yesterday for the first time in years to make those marshmallow cookies, so it was on my mind.

It can also mean, Cross it over in a snap, crack it out, and up goes the new pop. :)

• Options

Will the Mint price go up to $2037.50 tomorrow?

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is arriving tomorrow, will take some good high res images with my trusty Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 D.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@Goldminers said:
    Things have moved closer to reality. Pinehurst eBay pre-sale palladium 69's now the same as Mint price, not way below it.

Received mine just now and looked real nice in hand until I got out the magnifying glass and found 3 tiny claw mark scratches on Mercury's neck :'( She and the 2019 Liberty silver must have gotten into a cat fight.

So back to the Mint she goes. Can't win them all.

Ahh that is too bad! Hate when that happens, but it's better than finding out later after you put it away for a while!

FYI even though Pinehurst increased slightly, they also added best offer option.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 6:12PM

@Goldminers said:
    Will the Mint price go up to $2037.50 tomorrow?

It’s too close to call. Both fixes for Tuesday were under $1,600.00 and Wednesday PM Fix has to be $1,600.00 or above for there to be an increase...

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Mine is arriving tomorrow, will take some good high res images with my trusty Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 D.

Just curious, are you using a Nikon digital camera with that lens? If so, what camera model are you using? I bet you get great pictures! Now I'm wishing I would have taken a few pics before sending my coin back to the mint.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Vpd... no question some folks purchase modern bullion coins for their beauty. I’m just not sure 20,000-30,000 folks are doing do that right now.

Wondercoin

Even though I have most-about 80% of the proof 1 ounce AGE APE, and palladium issues, although I like them and find them very attractive, I am presently stacking them when I find 70's close to bullion. I don't look to hard for dates any more though I would pay a C-note or so additional for a few of the 'tougher ones. I will sit on the fence on the reverse proof palladium and buy one on the secondary market as I have been doing with the other modern precious metal eagles and gold commems.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Yes, It has been a while since I saw a Rice Krispies ad but they were on sale so I bought a box yesterday for the first time in years to make those marshmallow cookies, so it was on my mind.

It can also mean, Cross it over in a snap, crack it out, and up goes the new pop. :)

So how’d it go? The krispie treats with marshmallows. I never could get it right and always made a failed conglomeration of rice krispies, marshmallow, and butter. Still edible but not what I’ve seen in stores and pictures.

Sort of like this coin. Has the right ingredients but can become a nightmare in seconds.

• Options

Hardbitten,

I agree with most of your comments, but I also enjoy the variety of opinions received on this board. Yep, sometimes folks can be demeaning in their responses, but as a whole I value their inputs as they help me formulate my own.

• Options

It's looking Less and Less likely that there will be a price increase this afternoon...

• Options
    edited September 18, 2019 7:46AM

@hardbitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@hardbitten said:
    ordered one for the A+ looks and b/c I suspect palladium will continue to froth. Read multiple reports of market deficits ahead. e.g Russia’s Norilsk Nickel (Nornickel) (GMKN.MM) recent release and others. Hoping to eventually trade a spare 2017 BU for a 2018 Proof, completing the set.

In other words, you bought it for the looks. [Which is fine.] There is no investment reason to pay that kind of premium given all the other palladium coins out there that sell close to spot.

To repeat myself, I bought it for the looks AND the potential to appreciate in price (novel idea!).

his is why I don't do boards. Too many know-it-alls telling other people they are wrong.

Do you know if I'll receive a mint error?
    Do you know if palladium will go to 1900 or 2000?
    Do you know what an acceptable flip profit would be for me and that it will be impossible to achieve?
    Do you know the final mintage?
    Do you know my return strategy? (not that type though)
    is the 2018 RP Palladium Eagle really equal to "all the other palladium coins".

I've left so many boards over the years because of this issue. When I log on at 6:30 with coffee in the morning I don't want some stranger telling me I'm wrong on such an unclear, subjective issue. Some would consider it the normal give and take; I consider it poor manners

If Palladium goes to $2000 per ounce, this coin might still be $2000 (no numismatic premium) and you've made nothing. The point about buying Palladium for Palladium appreciation is the requirement minimize the cost of ownership. Buy Pd coins at $1600 not $1900 to get it. That's all I said. It is also inarguable.

The number of people disillusioned by the failure of their Mint products to appreciate in value is probably in the millions. I feel it is a civic as well as numismatic duty to suggest that people not view numismatic coins as bullion investments. They aren't and they lead to people leaving the hobby when their expectations aren't met.

Read your original comment. You didn't talk about numismatic appreciation. You said you heard of market deficits and expected Palladium to froth. It is not inexact or inarguable:

1. If you want to profit from moves in Palladium prices, this is NOT the best coin to buy. A $400 move in Palladium prices gets you to break even. If you buy ANY palladium coin or even bar with a $50 or $100 premium, you will ALWAYS profit more from moves in intrinsic value because your cost of ownership is lower.

This isn't just true of this coin, it is true of ALL NON-BULLION U.S. MINT PRECIOUS METAL ITEMS. You want to profit from gold, you buy bullion gold eagles not proofs with a $200+ premium. Buy bullion silver eagles at $2.50 over spot [though there are better ways for silver also] NOT silver eagle proofs at $30 over.

It is GREAT to buy a beautiful coin that you want to own. This is a very attractive coin. But it is not a reasonable way of investing in palladium.

If you think the NUMISMATIC VALUE of this coin will go up - which you did not mention in your earlier post - then good luck to you. That is unlikely given Mint history, but I can't know for sure this won't be the 1% exception. So, knock yourself out. Buy 10 of them and good luck to you. But that is NOT what you said in your original post.

• Options

@hardbitten said:
    ordered one for the A+ looks and b/c I suspect palladium will continue to froth. Read multiple reports of market deficits ahead. e.g Russia’s Norilsk Nickel (Nornickel) (GMKN.MM) recent release and others. Hoping to eventually trade a spare 2017 BU for a 2018 Proof, completing the set.

Where does this say anything about numismatic appreciation?

• Options

There has Yet to be an OGP 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium sold on the bay Since Launch. Actually Very few graded coins have been sold

Just basically Very Little secondary market demand (at this point in time)...

• Options

That will change shortly as several coins that started with low openings are coming up on their auction end time. Can’t wait to see the final purchase price on these.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:
    There has Yet to be an OGP 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium sold on the bay Since Launch. Actually Very few graded coins have been sold

Just basically Very Little secondary market demand (at this point in time)...

Graded coin sales will be interesting, but that may be an eye into a different market. Some people just always buy their coins graded, don't they?

I wouldn't expect any OGP sales on eBay given that the Mint is still selling them at issue price. People can hate flippers and dealers, but since the flippers and dealers are largely ignoring this issue, they aren't helping develop the secondary market.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@SoundPoint said:

@morgansforever said:

Just curious, are you using a Nikon digital camera with that lens? If so, what camera model are you using? I bet you get great pictures! Now I'm wishing I would have taken a few pics before sending my coin back to the mint.

Using a d3100 purchased from a pawn shop for $250 I believe and a AF Micro Nikkor 105mm macro lens, purchased off ebay for around $200. The d3100 doesn't have a built in focus motor, so you have to focus manually which is no big deal at all. This lens is great for Morgans, halves, quarters and nickels, not so great for dimes, you really need a 180mm to get that distance off the coin. Below is an example of the quality from my setup, gets the job done.

Going to hijack this thread for a second - can you give any hint as to what lighting you use?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file