Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019W Palladium Reverse Proof (19EK), On sale now, $2,437.50 .

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever : man, that is a fabulous photo!!!!!!! B)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 8:54AM

this !!!🔻🔻🔻🔻🔻🖤

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Using a d3100 purchased from a pawn shop for $250 I believe and a AF Micro Nikkor 105mm macro lens, purchased off ebay for around $200. The d3100 doesn't have a built in focus motor, so you have to focus manually which is no big deal at all. This lens is great for Morgans, halves, quarters and nickels, not so great for dimes, you really need a 180mm to get that distance off the coin. Below is an example of the quality from my setup, gets the job done.

• Options

@morgansforever said:

@SoundPoint said:

@morgansforever said:
    Mine is arriving tomorrow, will take some good high res images with my trusty Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 D.

Just curious, are you using a Nikon digital camera with that lens? If so, what camera model are you using? I bet you get great pictures! Now I'm wishing I would have taken a few pics before sending my coin back to the mint.

Using a d3100 purchased from a pawn shop for $250 I believe and a AF Micro Nikkor 105mm macro lens, purchased off ebay for around $200. The d3100 doesn't have a built in focus motor, so you have to focus manually which is no big deal at all. This lens is great for Morgans, halves, quarters and nickels, not so great for dimes, you really need a 180mm to get that distance off the coin. Below is an example of the quality from my setup, gets the job done.

That is one sexy a** picture. I’d love to see a reverse proof one next to it for comparison!

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:
    There has Yet to be an OGP 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium sold on the bay Since Launch. Actually Very few graded coins have been sold

Just basically Very Little secondary market demand (at this point in time)…

It has only been a week. It takes time for the Mint to send them out in the mail, time to look at them and decide to keep, return, or send them to get graded. Then there is PCGS receiving time, grading time, and shipping time to get them back.

I could sell mine right now that I got expedited OGP, but I would lose about $200 from eBay/PayPal fees and others are selling pre-sales for less than I can to break even.

There have been about 17,000 sold, so believe me when I say they will be showing up in much larger quantities over the next few weeks at major dealers and eBay.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hardbitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@hardbitten said:
    ordered one for the A+ looks and b/c I suspect palladium will continue to froth. Read multiple reports of market deficits ahead. e.g Russia’s Norilsk Nickel (Nornickel) (GMKN.MM) recent release and others. Hoping to eventually trade a spare 2017 BU for a 2018 Proof, completing the set.

In other words, you bought it for the looks. [Which is fine.] There is no investment reason to pay that kind of premium given all the other palladium coins out there that sell close to spot.

To repeat myself, I bought it for the looks AND the potential to appreciate in price (novel idea!).

his is why I don't do boards. Too many know-it-alls telling other people they are wrong.

Do you know if I'll receive a mint error?
    Do you know if palladium will go to 1900 or 2000?
    Do you know what an acceptable flip profit would be for me and that it will be impossible to achieve?
    Do you know the final mintage?
    Do you know my return strategy? (not that type though)
    is the 2018 RP Palladium Eagle really equal to "all the other palladium coins".

I've left so many boards over the years because of this issue. When I log on at 6:30 with coffee in the morning I don't want some stranger telling me I'm wrong on such an unclear, subjective issue. Some would consider it the normal give and take; I consider it poor manners

Welcome! I haven't seen your other posts on this, but I'll give my take. I find other opinions VERY useful. The majority thought the last two would be good buys/investments/flips, and they were. I bought as many as I could of the other two years, and made a decent chunk of change on them. The majority of opinions on this one were that there were too many being made, and it was too expensive. And from what I see now, I am glad I did not buy any for flipping.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@cagcrisp said:
    There has Yet to be an OGP 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium sold on the bay Since Launch. Actually Very few graded coins have been sold

Just basically Very Little secondary market demand (at this point in time)…

It has only been a week. It takes time for the Mint to send them out in the mail, time to look at them and decide to keep, return, or send them to get graded. Then there is PCGS receiving time, grading time, and shipping time to get them back.

I could sell mine right now that I got expedited OGP, but I would lose about $200 from eBay/PayPal fees and others are selling pre-sales for less than I can to break even.

There have been about 17,000 sold, so believe me when I say they will be showing up in much larger quantities over the next few weeks at major dealers and eBay.

According to Nurmaler, the number sold has dropped about 2,000 since Sunday (cancellations and returns)

• Options
    edited September 18, 2019 6:35PM

Anyone recall what this went for from the Mint?

https://pinehurstcoins.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fa8d5b5fc2ed1ab8484b9b623&id=8e08d89ef4&e=5d50ec8340

From an email I received today from Pinehurst.

ALL Gone...that was a good deal for a graded Liberty.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Anyone recall what this went for from the Mint?

https://pinehurstcoins.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fa8d5b5fc2ed1ab8484b9b623&id=8e08d89ef4&e=5d50ec8340

From an email I received today from Pinehurst.

Currently $235.00...

• Options

Hmmmmm.....interesting.

• Options

The Mint shows 16,690 for sales in their official report from last night for sales through Sunday. Yes, as mentioned above there are cancellations and returns, so the number will vary.

Interesting viewpoints; many referenced from this forum.

http://news.coinupdate.com/third-time-not-the-charm-for-american-palladium-eagle/

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 1:20PM

why I don't do boards. Too many know-it-alls telling other people they are wrong

I've left so many boards over the years because of this issue. When I log on at 6:30 with coffee in the morning I don't want some stranger telling me I'm wrong on such an unclear, subjective issue. Some would consider it the normal give and take; I consider it poor manners

Welcome, hb. To be sure, sometimes there's no shortage of poor manners and/or puffery - but by and large this forum is what I would consider to be the premier gathering place of numismatic expertise.

The other thing to consider is that many, many of the contributors here are sincere, knowledgeable and helpful to both beginners and experts. No matter your level of experience, there's always more to be learned - from sources that you'd otherwise never even know about.

My main interests are Modern Bullion and Large Cents. What about you? :)

P.S., if you want to tell people how wrong their opinions are, come on over to the Precious Metals Forum - we have a running discourse and always tell each other how wrong we are! ;)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    chillypepperchillypepper Posts: 12
    edited September 18, 2019 1:35PM

@Goldminers said:
    Just found out it takes a "week or two" to get a return label emailed to you, as they are really backed up.

If returning due to a quality issue, do you know if it is fully insured using their return label? Or do you add insurance?

• Options

@chillypepper said:

@Goldminers said:
    Just found out it takes a "week or two" to get a return label emailed to you, as they are really backed up.

If returning due to a quality issue, do you know if it is fully insured using their return label? Or do you add insurance?

I don't know, sorry as I have not received one or instructions from them yet.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2019 1:57PM

Thanks. I put in for the return and it states an email will be sent within one business day containing a prepaid shipping label, but that might just be a standard response. Mine has claw type marks on the eagle.

• Options

I have not felt the necessity to add insurance to my return items for the Mint. It has been infrequent but I have not had an issue with their labels.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    I have not felt the necessity to add insurance to my return items for the Mint. It has been infrequent but I have not had an issue with their labels.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chillypepper said:

@Goldminers said:

From the Mint FAQ's:

For your protection, we strongly recommend that you return your order by insured mail and save the receipt for your records. The United States Mint is not responsible for lost return shipments.

I haven't included insurance, but all of my returns have been for low dollar items.

If I'm returning a big ticket item, I would insure it...

• Options

Interesting to hear of other claw type marks. This implies some type of equipment damage may have happened on some of them after striking or something repetitive in handling issues.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2019 3:37PM

They are small but deep, three marks. Just received the return label and receipt, very fast service. I am thinking that if they sent the label with approved RMA, there is insurance, but probably best to call and verify before shipping.

• Options

The Only reason there was Not a $50 price Increase today was because the PM fix came in at $1,594.00.

That $1,594.00 had to be at Least $1,600.00 for there to be a price Increase...

• Options

$50 less or $50 more will likely make a very small impact on the sales of this sleepy Palladium Eagle.

• Options

receeived mine couple of days ago got the ol loupe out and scoped it out looked purty darn good to me sent it out to NGC sarasota they should get it today 12 day turn see how she comes back my 2018 came back 70 so shall see..but they sure are purty

• Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@SoundPoint said:

@morgansforever said:
    Mine is arriving tomorrow, will take some good high res images with my trusty Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 D.

Just curious, are you using a Nikon digital camera with that lens? If so, what camera model are you using? I bet you get great pictures! Now I'm wishing I would have taken a few pics before sending my coin back to the mint.

Such a pretty coin; I'm so glad I was able to pick one up last year from the mint.

Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 7:46AM

@chillypepper said:

@Goldminers said:

Returns are UPS. UPS does not insure coins. If insurance is included ( I doubt it)'they would have to be self insured by the mint. If you want insurance you probably have to scrap the mint return label and ship USPS.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@chillypepper said:

@Goldminers said:

Returns are UPS. UPS does not insure coins. If insurance is included ( I doubt it)'they would have to be self insured by the mint. If you want insurance you probably have to scrap the mint return label and ship USPS.

The Mint should be self-insuring. Any large operation would be nuts to pay UPS, USPS, or FedEx even one cent of insurance money.

A phone call to customer service is probably in order - if you can trust the answer. You never know who you are talking to and what their knowledge level might be.

• Options

Sorry for all the coin return posts! I appreciate all the input though. As you say, if you can trust the answer...so I did a chat to have a record. The most important text from it: "If you have a return label from us, the return is insured. Insured means if anything happens while in transit back to us, then you are still refunded." I think it is enough for me, but maybe not others.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chillypepper said:
    Sorry for all the coin return posts! I appreciate all the input though. As you say, if you can trust the answer...so I did a chat to have a record. The most important text from it: "If you have a return label from us, the return is insured. Insured means if anything happens while in transit back to us, then you are still refunded." I think it is enough for me, but maybe not others.

Good info.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:
    I think this one snuggles in nicely with the previous 10 precious metal reverse proof issues.
    (plus a couple duplicates)
    I think mine has what some are calling the lines on Liberty's neck - though visible only under magnification. But it's a keeper.
    What great classic designs!

Awesome!

• Options

anybody know the total # of reverse-proof Palladium coins have been sold thus far?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will have to wait until Tuesday

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@daverickey said:
    anybody know the total # of reverse-proof Palladium coins have been sold thus far?

They were at 15,000 a couple days ago. I don't imagine they are much higher now. Could be lower?

• Options

Ironic sales number, huh?!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:
    I think this one snuggles in nicely with the previous 10 precious metal reverse proof issues.
    (plus a couple duplicates)
    I think mine has what some are calling the lines on Liberty's neck - though visible only under magnification. But it's a keeper.
    What great classic designs!

What's going on on the rim between the I and B??

• Options

@jwitten said:

Same question, bottom rim near the neckline

BTW, great modern Mint finish collection. I thought it was a fantastic (& accessible) collecting focus when you shared it earlier.

• Options

@BipolarExpress said:

@jwitten said:

Same question, bottom rim near the neckline

BTW, great modern Mint finish collection. I thought it was a fantastic (& accessible) collecting focus when you shared it earlier.

It's probably just plastic tabs in the case.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

They are part of the capsule. Small beads of plastic to hold the coin tight and keep it from rattling. (I assume) Another one at 2 o'clock and at 6 o'clock.
    Haven't seen them before. Something new in capsule technology.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Goldminers said:
    Yes, It has been a while since I saw a Rice Krispies ad but they were on sale so I bought a box yesterday for the first time in years to make those marshmallow cookies, so it was on my mind.

So how’d it go? The krispie treats with marshmallows. I never could get it right and always made a failed conglomeration of rice krispies, marshmallow, and butter. Still edible but not what I’ve seen in stores and pictures.

Sort of like this coin. Has the right ingredients but can become a nightmare in seconds.

The treats turned out really well, but I did take extra time to follow the directions :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Goldminers said:
    Yes, It has been a while since I saw a Rice Krispies ad but they were on sale so I bought a box yesterday for the first time in years to make those marshmallow cookies, so it was on my mind.

So how’d it go? The krispie treats with marshmallows. I never could get it right and always made a failed conglomeration of rice krispies, marshmallow, and butter. Still edible but not what I’ve seen in stores and pictures.

Sort of like this coin. Has the right ingredients but can become a nightmare in seconds.

The treats turned out really well, but I did take extra time to follow the directions :)

Oh, the directions... Too much of a good ingredient (butter and/or marshmallows) does tend mess things up. :D:)

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Careful not to get any of that butter or marshmallow on your new coin!!!

Okay, so mine came two days ago, packed in a little box, very light...I thought it was perhaps a coin and currency replacement or something, but no, it was this Palladium. And didn't see any scratches on her neck or anywhere else, this coin is really beautiful. I'm no grader but I couldn't find any problems. It looks excellent!!!!

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any Trueviews of this coin yet?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever - Your photos are spectacular.

As you can see from my photos, I'm not a TPG person. (don't tell our host)
    Actually, I just learned what Trueview is.
    Why are you so anxious to see this coin in one?

• Options

First eBay auction for an OGP just concluded...

$1,776.00

• Options
    edited September 22, 2019 9:06PM

That is rough for those who were trying to flip. Some buyers may be factoring state taxes more now and resulting in lower bids.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    That is rough for those who were trying to flip. Some buyers may be factoring state taxes more now and resulting in lower bids.

Well, honestly, do we really expect there to be any secondary market for these?

• Options

Glass half-full indicates that was a fairly patriotic finishing number.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

Goldminers: As this tax adds at least one full bid increment to the price, it does indeed affect the bids on the bullion related issues especially. It has for me, as I bid one increment lower, and succeed on about one in twenty bids on bullion coins. Looks like shows may be the best venue on these.

• Options

From CNBC today:

Meanwhile, palladium surged to a all-time high of $1,664.50 an ounce.
    "There seems to be a shortage of material... the forwards are tightening as well and there is good demand that cannot be met at the movement," said Afshin Nabavi, senior vice president at precious metals trader MKS SA.
    Palladium has risen more than 8% or about $125 so far this month.
    "Healthy demand, constrained supply and challenging liquidity conditions are likely driving prices higher," UBS strategist Joni Teves wrote in a note.
    She added that a breakdown in U.S.-China trade talks, a deterioration in economic data and a pullback in equities from recent highs presented downside risks for palladium over the remainder of the year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file