Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade Revealed: 1880 PCGS MS-64 Morgan Dollar (Gold Shield)

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2019 11:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I would assign this 1880 Morgan Dollar a Grade of... (Vote👇 below)

[Thanks in advance for posting your observations & comments to keep this thread lively & active] 😁👍

Click👇Here to Enlarge Low Resolution Image:

Click👇Here to Enlarge High Resolution Image:

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Grade Revealed: 1880 PCGS MS-64 Morgan Dollar (Gold Shield)

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

I like it as a 65

Sweet looking Morgan Stuart

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

MS65...

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-63

Of course, I'm always off, as I cut my teeth on Peace dollars.

I see a really clean coin with subdued luster and a bit of chatter on the rims. The spot on the reverse is a bit distracting.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

Looks like a 65.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

Some chatter in the obverse fields, a few scattered hits, and the somewhat distracting spot on the reverse make me think it maxed out at 65.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-64

If 64+ had been available, I would checked that. The minor cheek marks and the scratch in front of the chin pulled down a little for me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    MS-64

MS-64. I liked it as a 66, but for the dug in looking spot or carbon knocks two points off imho.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    MS-66

65+, I voted for 66.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-66

nice coin over all, I like

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

Tom

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

65 - chatter obv left side and a stab wound on rev, but nice piece.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-64

A nice original coin! :)

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    MS-64

MS 64. The coin jumps in price in 65, Does it look like a $500 coin or a $100 coin with some light toned lipstick

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

The field chatter on the obverse seems very minor but the eyebrow hit probably jumps off the coin in hand. MS 65. Still tough and quite valuable.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019 8:21PM
    MS-65

In the 1980s this would have been a 64. Back then a MS 65 of this date was $1000-$2000 IIRC. Very hard to make. But these days at $500 a 65 is not that big a deal. But getting a 66 on this date is not easy. This doesn't seem to have the blast and eye appeal or 66. Generally very clean on marks. 1880 tends to come a lackluster with a flatish strike. I'd have called it 65+ on marks but it still doesn't have superior eye appeal. Nice coin whatever it is graded. I wouldn't be surprised with anything from 64 to 66.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

What did PCGS call it?

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-66

would like to see in hand to be sure

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

Pretty good bell curve going. The mean of all votes is 65.13793.....so I'm changing my vote to 65.13793. :tongue:

(Time to give up the PCGS vote?!?)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

I have 64s from back in the day that look this good but If the luster is there and the cheeks are as smooth as they look in the image, then I have no problem calling this a 65 By today’s standards.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited June 21, 2019 3:12PM
    MS-66

Thanks to all my Fellow Forum Members who have participated in this latest most exciting episode of ”Guess the Grade!!” 😁

I’ll let this GTG thread continue for a while longer to allow more people to participate, until it fades into PCGS Forum (Page 2) Oblivion. 😉

To discreetly allow those who have already voted in the poll to learn the actual grade (without disclosing the answer to additional prospective voters) I will provide the following guidance.

Since the results are only visible to those who have voted in the poll, If you look at the voting results, the PCGS assigned grade is one grading level below the largest plurality voting group. 🤓

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    edited June 22, 2019 11:24AM
    MS-66

Thanks to all of my Fellow Forum Members who participated by voting in the “Guess the Grade” Poll and for posting your Observations and Comments. 😁👍

I purchased this coin because I liked the Eye Appeal and felt that it was Very Solid for the Grade.

The poll results averaging just slightly better than MS-65 seem to agree with my assessment. 😉

Grade Revealed: 1880 PCGS MS-64 Morgan Dollar

Click👇Here to Enlarge Image:

Stuart

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-66

Boy was I off !

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MS-63

Someday I’ll learn. I grade these like I grade Peace dollars. If I add a grade, I’m usually right. :)

• Options
    edited June 23, 2019 2:13PM
    MS-66

@BryceM Regarding your post earlier in this thread, I think your Morgan Dollar Grading skills fall into the Middle Option below... 🤓 👍

My MS-66 poll vote was simply a head fake, since I knew the correct answer. 😉

Accuracy versus 👇 Precision in Coin Grading... 🧐😉

Stuart

• Options
    MS-63

@Stuart

Well, I’m not sure what to make of your assessment. My guess is a single data point from which you can’t deduce anything about precision. Also, interpreting photos and grading coins aren't exactly the same thing.

When you’re hunting a wounded lion, and it decides to charge you, the only shot that matters at all is the next one. :)

• Options
    MS-66

Bryce, Right you are!! 😉👍

@BryceM said:
    When you’re hunting a wounded lion, and it decides to charge you, the only shot that matters at all is the next one. :)

Stuart

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019 5:06PM
    MS-64

@BillJones said:

The minor cheek marks and the scratch in front of the chin pulled down a little for me.

This...Good to see the experts here getting it wrong on the high side for once. :D

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

Random thought: Should we start being extra careful grading coins based on TrueViews? The vast majority of us shot high here. And in my 1875CC dime GTG, the vast majority shot high. (And those are just recent examples).

So, are the TV's just too tilted toward "glamour" to be trusted for grading?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-65

True view looks like a picture of a completely different coin.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2019 7:35PM
    MS-66

@TommyType @DollarAfterDollar @MFeld @BryceM

IMO PCGS TrueView Photos Accurately Depict the Mint Luster and Frost exhibited on a coin’s surface, but tend to De-Emphasize Contact Marks compared to (in this case) the Heritage Auction Photos.

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file