Options

PSA charging more after the grade comes in

13»

Comments

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭

@Garyis2000 said:

@initialD said:
    Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth is an admonishment to be grateful when receiving a present and not to find fault with that present.

Submitters wet dream right there

Why don’t you ask them to touch a corner and just grade it a 9 and call it a day. 🤦🏻‍♂️

How is it a gift horse if you’re simply getting what the card deserves? You must think PSA would upgrade a card just to get a 4000.00 upcharge? I admit it looks bad for PSA with this policy and it could be best if they removed that possible look of impropriety.

But yea if they are giving you 40k but you have to pay 5k, take the deal. PWCC can auction it also...

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Good point by Lawyer. If you have an email in hand from PSA asking for an upcharge but can't afford it, contact PWCC. They'd front you if you agreed to sell it with them, no doubt.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@Garyis2000 said:

Robb

THERE IS A POKEMON BOARD ? WOW

Yes, there are Pokémon sites. And some cards in PSA 10 have hit 100,000.00.
    Here’s one of my listings showing off my Charizard collection which is valued Ive a million dollars. It’s not just a kids game anymore. I’m 65;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-PSA-10-CHARIZARDS-10-1st-EDITION-BASE-12-SHADOWLESS-30-BGS-9-5-6x10s-Pokemon/122158629192?hash=item1c7138c148:g:H4oAAOSw2kVbdQTz

you are KING POKEMON ? i have seen your listing before....

So, I'm really confused now. The OP has a collection listed for a mil and a half but is complaining about a $3k upcharge on a $40k card? Am I getting this right or is the owner of the card in question someone else that can't afford the $3k?

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

The OP is a rich guy complaining about spending 3k when he's making 40k on a Pokemon card. Yes, you got that right, and somehow that is the world we are living in right now.

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said: :D:D

@lawyer05 said:

@Garyis2000 said:

Robb

Here’s one of my listings showing off my Charizard collection which is valued Ive a million dollars. It’s not just a kids game anymore. I’m 65;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-PSA-10-CHARIZARDS-10-1st-EDITION-BASE-12-SHADOWLESS-30-BGS-9-5-6x10s-Pokemon/122158629192?hash=item1c7138c148:g:H4oAAOSw2kVbdQTz

So, I'm really confused now. The OP has a collection listed for a mil and a half but is complaining about a $3k upcharge on a $40k card? Am I getting this right or is the owner of the card in question someone else that can't afford the $3k?

:):D:D

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 8:28AM

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok guys... we've about beat this subject to death and the posts have been hedging towards the uglier side. Let's keep this civil or I will shut it down.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2019 9:32AM

@AFLfan said:
    Ok guys... we've about beat this subject to death and the posts have been hedging towards the uglier side. Let's keep this civil or I will shut it down.

Todd, the OP is vaguely suggesting in various comments that PSA is arbitrarily charging certain people more money, could possibly be giving higher grades only to increase revenue and that a very well known and stated policy shouldn't apply to everyone.....all while the card in question has increased seven fold over in value basically over night. It was bound to get at least a little ugly. While I think that there are valid criticisms from time to time, the vast majority of the members of this forum will stick up for PSA when the bashing and innuendos begin.

Edit to add -- I'll behave!! ;)

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything wrong with the policy. It's kind of like a consignment fee or auction fee. PSA has broken it into tiers instead of a straight percentage and they want the money upfront. Nothing wrong with that. Obviously nobody can guess the cards value until it is graded so there are bound to be adjustments that need to be made. Also, nobody knows the true value of the graded card until it is sold so they can't use a straight percentage fee anyway. It is clearly stated in the policy that everyone agrees to. I haven't heard anyone suggest a better policy than this. I don't think there is one. I did see several valid options for the OP to handle his "situation".

“Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most do.” Dale Carnegie

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@AFLfan said:

Todd, the OP is vaguely suggesting in various comments that PSA is arbitrarily charging certain people more money, could possibly be giving higher grades only to increase revenue and that a very well known and stated policy shouldn't apply to everyone.....all while the card in question has increased seven fold over in value basically over night. It was bound to get at least a little ugly. While I think that there are valid criticisms from time to time, the vast majority of the members of this forum will stick up for PSA when the bashing and innuendos begin.

Edit to add -- I'll behave!! ;)

Agreed, and I appreciate everyone that has acted as a voice of reason in this thread. As mentioned before, this policy is not new, and in fact, I'm surprised that this thread has well-over 100 comments. But such is life. Thanks to all who tactfully got the message across that the policy is not unreasonable.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Garyis2000 said:

@initialD said:
    Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth is an admonishment to be grateful when receiving a present and not to find fault with that present.

Submitters wet dream right there

Why don’t you ask them to touch a corner and just grade it a 9 and call it a day. 🤦🏻‍♂️

How is it a gift horse if you’re simply getting what the card deserves? You must think PSA would upgrade a card just to get a 4000.00 upcharge? I admit it looks bad for PSA with this policy and it could be best if they removed that possible look of impropriety.

In my OPINION, you’re looking at this backwards. PSA is protecting themselves against impropriety. Otherwise what’s to prevent me from declaring the value of my T206 Wagner as $90 and submitting it for an $8 grading fee?

While it’s likely not what happened in this exact case, paying a grading fee commensurate with the value of the collectible removes the possibility of submitters purposely, grossly understating the value of their items to save a buck.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 332 ✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:
    The OP is from Nevada according to his $1.7 million ebay listing. I think it might be worth getting Chumlee involved.

He was already on an episode of Pawn Stars. It was pretty lame because Rick acted like he had no idea what the collection is worth. What is this Pokey-man??? So stupid.

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 10:15AM

@Bharris said:
    First off this is no where close to hitting the lottery. This is a horrible policy. I do like the idea of them calling you and asking if you would like to increase the insurance. At the end of the day shipping the card is between the USPS and cards owner. If it gets damaged in the mail or goes missing I can assure you nobody from PSA is going to hand you a check nor are they going to even have a conversation with you about it over the phone. They will verify you have the correct tracking number and then tell you good day.

Once PSA opens the package and verifies the have the cards on the sub form and the money is paid and the accept the role of grading the card the cost of doing business is done.

Would you invite a contractor over have him price out the job do the work then say you know what your house is now worth 200k more I need an additional 5k for my work.

This is factually not true. I have had a couple PSA packages lost in transit back to me. The PSA shipping rep (Sandy) handled 100% of the interactions with USPS. She is the best.

I do not believe PSA uses USPS's insurance service, rather a third party. So if a package does get lost (both of mine were found), I believe the check comes from PSA. PSA then subsequently handles the insurance aspect.

PSA charges a fee based on the value of the item, they guarantee the item. So naturally, they need to charge more money for more expensive items - there is greater risk for PSA for more valuable items. If you intentionally misrepresent the value of the item with the intention to monetarily damage PSA, you are defrauding them. Right? I mean, why is this being discussed?

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

@Bharris said:
    First off this is no where close to hitting the lottery. This is a horrible policy. I do like the idea of them calling you and asking if you would like to increase the insurance. At the end of the day shipping the card is between the USPS and cards owner. If it gets damaged in the mail or goes missing I can assure you nobody from PSA is going to hand you a check nor are they going to even have a conversation with you about it over the phone. They will verify you have the correct tracking number and then tell you good day.

Once PSA opens the package and verifies the have the cards on the sub form and the money is paid and the accept the role of grading the card the cost of doing business is done.

Would you invite a contractor over have him price out the job do the work then say you know what your house is now worth 200k more I need an additional 5k for my work.

Sorry, your supposition in paragraph 1 is actually completely false, based on an experience I had only a few months ago. I think facts trump guesswork here. LarkinCollector and I had a submission lost or stolen while in the hands of the USPS on its way back to us, in December I think. In that submission were many “first graded copy” collectibles that were rare, foreign or both. Even though the package was out of their hands, and the contents vanishing had nothing to do with them, PSA reimbursed us for the total declared value AND refunded all the grading fees for the missing items AND gave a free platinum collector’s club membership, with the 15 grading vouchers that come with it. All to compensate us for cards that THEY didn’t lose. So I’m sorry, but you’re dead wrong.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@Bharris said:

@AFLfan said:

/
    What is your opinion on the question??

Why would the forum administrator share his opinion on here? Joe Orlando responds to e-mails if you need a PSA point of view on your issue.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2019 10:48AM

@Bharris said:

@MrHockey said:
    “He didn’t have that kind of money”

Once he got a 40k card he did!

/.
    You mean the card PSA has in hand that they aren't going to send him without additional money sent to them ?

Except that's not how it works. If you don't want to pay the additional money, you don't have to and they return the card to you ungraded. It's not Pokemon hostage taking.

I think this has been stated more than 5 times by a handful of people in this thread, but people seem to still be missing it.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 332 ✭✭✭

@MrHockey said:
    The OP is a rich guy complaining about spending 3k when he's making 40k on a Pokemon card. Yes, you got that right, and somehow that is the world we are living in right now.

I don't believe that the card personally belongs to OP. It is my understanding that this card was submitted by another member of the Pokemon card forum.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 11:01AM

@DBesse27 said:

@Bharris said:

Sorry, your supposition in paragraph 1 is actually completely false, based on an experience I had only a few months ago. I think facts trump guesswork here. LarkinCollector and I had a submission lost or stolen while in the hands of the USPS on its way back to us, in December I think. In that submission were many “first graded copy” collectibles that were rare, foreign or both. Even though the package was out of their hands, and the contents vanishing had nothing to do with them, PSA reimbursed us for the total declared value AND refunded all the grading fees for the missing items AND gave a free platinum collector’s club membership, with the 15 grading vouchers that come with it. All to compensate us for cards that THEY didn’t lose. So I’m sorry, but you’re dead wrong.

Dan is spot on, but also the contractor analogy is totally backwards.

The 'contract' between you and PSA is your submission form, where you agree to fees and declare a value for the items, which determines service level.

When your Pokemon card binks a 10 and is worth $100,000, it becomes clear that the initial declared value was inaccurate--often not intentionally, but because people usually just don't expect 10s like that because they're hard to get.

When that happens, you are the contractor who didn't fulfill your end of the obligation---you didn't properly submit the card with accurate declared value and service level.

PSA contacts you and asks to square up: they will go forward, but there are terms that you need to agree to including a higher service fee.

At that point, you can still say no. Like any contract, it takes two to tango. If you say no, the card gets returned to you. If you say yes, it's graded and you pay them the difference.

The sequencing is also wrong in your analogy. In the contractor example you provided, the work gets done and you're on the hook for it, then the guy tries to extort you for more. That'd blow. Fortunately, here, there's no extortion, because you can literally say no. It'd be like if the contractor comes over, redoes your kitchen for you, then says "umm, I'd like 5k more... or actually you don't have to pay that if you don't want to". No harm no foul, you're just out your time.

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@Bharris said:

thats awesome

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Here’s the heart of the matter:

PSA’s opinion of the card is the the cards value - without the slab and 10 grade, the card will not command anywhere near $100,000. Plain and simple.

Since they have 10 million cards to handle and you have one, THEY have to get the benefit of the doubt here.

You intimate that PSA is unethical in this situation; couldn’t the same be said of you? Attempting to slip a Charizard 10 in for grading at regular prices? You say they’re taking 4000 from you, aren’t you also guilty of trying to take 3800+?

It works both ways; you just need to be willing to see it. Their system clearly works, though, as they are clearly the premier name in third party grading and have been - with this policy in place - for a long, long time.

There’s too many holes in the current system not to demand correction. One great example smpratte’ gave in the video above was a card comes out and sells once for 40k. Soon after the market drops then levels off. Now you grade the second one, get a 10, and have a buyer for a third of that 1st amount. But ebay charges you at the 40k level even though you’re only going to realize 15k. Fair? Of course not. So what will osa do? Well if they’re going to charge you at that level, they better bring you a buyer at that level
    There’s many examples of problems with this system.

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@Garyis2000 said:

Robb

Yes. That is me.
    Here’s the Pawn Stars episode I was on that shows these cards. The prices have tripled since that airing:)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIRedvXGmYo

• Options

One weak analogy after another.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@MrHockey said:

Wrong again Mr Hockey. You missed the open net lol.
    This card belonged to a father/son combo who saved it ungraded in the sons binder from 1999. The card holds a ton of sentimental value and they want to keep the card but can’t afford the The father said his son used to sleep with that card sleeves and in a top loader, for months,
    That’s what this is all about. They weren’t experts and the son, who is suffering with autism, wanted to grade his childhood collection.
    That unexpected 3000.00 bill was a shock.
    The story shouldn’t matter though. It’s a system of smoke and mirrors.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 7:11PM

Smoke and mirrors? I think it's time Todd locked this thread. It's arguably the most ridiculous, nonsensical thread I've ever seen here and that's saying a lot.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Garyis2000 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Here’s the heart of the matter:

PSA’s opinion of the card is the the cards value - without the slab and 10 grade, the card will not command anywhere near $100,000. Plain and simple.

Since they have 10 million cards to handle and you have one, THEY have to get the benefit of the doubt here.

You intimate that PSA is unethical in this situation; couldn’t the same be said of you? Attempting to slip a Charizard 10 in for grading at regular prices? You say they’re taking 4000 from you, aren’t you also guilty of trying to take 3800+?

It works both ways; you just need to be willing to see it. Their system clearly works, though, as they are clearly the premier name in third party grading and have been - with this policy in place - for a long, long time.

There’s too many holes in the current system not to demand correction. One great example smpratte’ gave in the video above was a card comes out and sells once for 40k. Soon after the market drops then levels off. Now you grade the second one, get a 10, and have a buyer for a third of that 1st amount. But ebay charges you at the 40k level even though you’re only going to realize 15k. Fair? Of course not. So what will osa do? Well if they’re going to charge you at that level, they better bring you a buyer at that level
    There’s many examples of problems with this system.

In that case, I'd contact Steve or Joe, show them the recent comps, and they'll fix it for you. Have you tried this?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Garyis2000 said:

@MrHockey said:

This card belonged to a father/son combo who saved it ungraded in the sons binder from 1999. The card holds a ton of sentimental value and they want to keep the card but can’t afford the The father said his son used to sleep with that card sleeves and in a top loader, for months,
    That’s what this is all about. They weren’t experts and the son, who is suffering with autism, wanted to grade his childhood collection.

Sounds like your heart goes out to them. Maybe advise them to keepnitbungraded and then you can give them one of your 500 Gem Mint Charizards that you’re repeatedly advertising here on this site.

Good free publicity for you and the end of a heart wrenching saga for a young autistic boy and his wonderful father who get to keep their original treasure and get a Gem Mint card with no fees.

Everybody wins.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Garyis2000 said:

@MrHockey said:

The $3000 was a shock. What would you say the "hey, your card is actually worth $40,000 now!" was?

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Baffled.

That is all.

This discussion has been closed.