Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA charging more after the grade comes in

This has happened now to several of us. A mint card worth about 5000.00 in a 9 so you submit it under that amount. Now it gets a 10 and is worth 40,000 so they email asking for a lot more money,
Has it happened to anyone else here? What do you think about it?

Comments

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

It’s rare, and great news when it happens because you’ve just slammed a very good grade.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a good problem to have.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

I wish I had your problems

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

It's a reasonable policy.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

T's and P's

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Anyone else wondering what the card Is? Also, isnt the extra grading fee for the insurance ?

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@thunderdan said:

You like that clip.

Is it because you don't like Lasorda or the Phanatic?

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with everyone here. I typically pay for 9s and end up with 7s. Would love to experience this problem, just once.

Jim

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Tell them you want it reviewed.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about when you estimate grade 10 pay the fee and get a grade 8.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope problems like this enter my life soon.😉

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I think it is wrong. what is to stop them from wanting a bit more money and telling the graders that if a card is a borderline 9 or 10 to give them the 10 so that they can charge them more money. If it is graded less than expected will they give you money back?

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    I think it is wrong. what is to stop them from wanting a bit more money and telling the graders that if a card is a borderline 9 or 10 to give them the 10 so that they can charge them more money. If it is graded less than expected will they give you money back?

And if they do that, then the murmured bitching about lenient grading becomes a roar, hurting their brand, then their market share and their bottom line. Sorry, don’t buy it for a second.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@remedylane said:
    Anyone else wondering what the card Is? Also, isnt the extra grading fee for the insurance ?

My guess is a 1999 Pokemon Game #4 Charizard 1st Edition PSA 10

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:

@thunderdan said:

You like that clip.

Is it because you don't like Lasorda or the Phanatic?

Mostly it's because I'm a huge fan of effigies.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the price should be the price. I would not like to be called up after the work is done and be given an upcharge.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Garyis2000 said:
    This has happened now to several of us. A mint card worth about 5000.00 in a 9 so you submit it under that amount. Now it gets a 10 and is worth 40,000 so they email asking for a lot more money,

i wouldnt be complaining !!!!! please do this to me !!!!

• Options
    edited May 14, 2019 12:12PM

@doubledragon said:
    I hope problems like this enter my life soon.😉

LMAO !

• Options
    edited May 14, 2019 12:12PM

@thunderdan said:

HIT HIM AGAIN !

• Options

@remedylane said:

90 Fleer Jose Uribe??

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 12:35PM

This happened to me. I sent in a 1949 Jackie Robinson thinking it would grade a PSA 4-5 and it came back an 8! They sent me the following email:

Hello Mr. Simonds,

I am writing on behalf of PSA regarding submission #XXXXXXXX (attached). This submission contains a card that does not qualify for the $50 fee due to its value. We understand that you had no way of knowing the grade; however, when the value does exceed the value limit for the fee you originally selected, we must make the proper adjustments.

Please see the attached printout of your submission with the correct fees noted in the right column.

In order to complete the process, I will need your approval to charge the correct total amount of $XXX. Please reply to this email at your convenience.

Thanks,

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

If you need a loan to cover the extra charges PM me. I'll just charge you a 1% flat fee on value of the card.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options

@vintagefun said:
    Every time I submit, I pray for that call and upcharge.

me tooooo LMAO !!!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

It would be nice if the policy worked the other way. I’ve sent in cards expecting a 9 and got a 6. Think PSA will give me a refund on the service level?

Me neither.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    It would be nice if the policy worked the other way. I’ve sent in cards expecting a 9 and got a 6. Think PSA will give me a refund on the service level?

Me neither.

next time send it as a 6

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 8:21PM

IMO, this guy is "playing" the forum.

Mike
  • Options

@lawyer05 said:

@GreenSneakers said:

Me neither.

next time send it as a 6

Nailed it...right there!

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

man I hope I get an email like that someday!
    Pseudo related; on Bulk orders, if you send in some cards that get a grade that makes it way more valuable than the submission limit, do you lose the bulk order discount, or just pay more on a per card basis? Thanks!

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

i have only see this when they ask me to pay more insurance. For example, I had a crossover MJ rookie that scored a PSA 10. They did not charge me more for the base grading fee, but they did increase the return shipping cost, of which, I was fine with paying more of to protect the card on the way home. Is this "you pay more base fee if the card scores a better grade" written anywhere?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Garyis2000 said:

welcome to the forum

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Garyis2000 said:

What a first post!

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 8:18PM

Wasn’t this the guy who was flattening cards with a vice ?

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@Garyis2000 said:

That is wrong, wrong that someone would complain about having to pay more because you hit a home run

• Options

@HighGradeLegends said:

@Garyis2000 said:

welcome to the forum

Thanks. Yes, as someone mentioned above, it was a 1st Ed Base Charizard. They hoped for a 9 which would be worth 5000.00 but got a $40,000.00 10. Isn’t the charge to submit at that level a couple thousand? He didn’t have that kind of money to pay.
    Yes, he got lucky but changing a customers cost midstream seems odd. Plus, it could encourage more generous grades which takes more money out of your pocket. Just the appearance of impropriety can hurt a company.

• Options

Here’s a great discussion on the subject on the #1 High end Pokemon collectors web site...E4.

http://efour.proboards.com/thread/14418/psas-new-policy-hurt-integrity

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

“He didn’t have that kind of money”

Once he got a 40k card he did!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of corrections:

1. This is not a new policy; been in place a long time.

2. It doesn’t come up that often. When it does, celebrate.

3. I have heard people say ‘I can’t afford the grading’ but here’s the solution: put it on a credit card, sell the 10, pay off the credit card AND buy a 9 with proceeds and pocket the rest.

I have never heard one lottery winner say ‘It’s just too much trouble to collect all that money’ and a 10 on certain cards is basically hitting the lotto.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Complaining about the up charge is completely ridiculous. PSA charges based on the value of the card, if you submit a $40,000 card then you get charged for it. Just because the submitter didn't know it was a 40k card doesn't change the fact that it is. From what I have experienced, PSA is more than fair about the up charge and using a realistic value for the card.

The discussion on that Pokemon board is ludicrous. No one complaining about the "new policy" has any idea what they are talking about.

Robb

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHockey said:
    “He didn’t have that kind of money”

Once he got a 40k card he did!

Not necessarily, if that happened to me, I wouldn't have the cash to pay for the submission. Would have to take out a loan.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

If I didn't have the $2k I would fast and furious offer someone an extra $500-$1k to loan it to me for a short period of time or go sell my blood, hunt for aluminum cans, etc. I mean, don't all those Pokemon nerds have bank? As opposed to us sportscards nerds.
    If I was ever so fortunate to have this happen to me, I will 100% find a way to make it happen.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 8:52AM

If I were the owner, I would count my blessings and thank the universe for gifting me the equivalent of a year's salary for many people in our country. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but getting a PSA 10 of this caliber truly is a gift from whomever/whatever power you believe in since the work on the owner's part was minimal. I would be grateful.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

First world problems

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@fergie23 said:
    Complaining about the up charge is completely ridiculous. PSA charges based on the value of the card, if you submit a $40,000 card then you get charged for it. Just because the submitter didn't know it was a 40k card doesn't change the fact that it is. From what I have experienced, PSA is more than fair about the up charge and using a realistic value for the card.

The discussion on that Pokemon board is ludicrous. No one complaining about the "new policy" has any idea what they are talking about.

Robb

THERE IS A POKEMON BOARD ? WOW

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@craig44 said:
    I think the price should be the price. I would not like to be called up after the work is done and be given an upcharge.

Let's say you send in a very nice raw 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson and assume you have a solid shot at a 9 and put $400 on the submission form and submit it under the $100 to $500 service level. It comes back a 10 and instead is worth $25,000. You in reality sent the card in on the wrong service level and PSA comes in and charges you the appropriate amount. I see no problem with them wanting a piece of the action. It is my understanding it is only done in scenarios where it is much higher than the declared value. I have sent in plenty of cards on the collectors club special that once graded far exceed the $100 threshold and have not once been hit with the upcharge. The good news is it is their opinion that catapults the value so the submitter is only winning in this scenario.

Maybe I am unsure how this works. when a raw card is submitted, do you not choose your service level based on the raw value? or are you supposed to guess at what the card may grade when you choose the value for service level?

I honestly dont know. while I own oodles of PSA cards, I have never submitted any.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Someone submits a $40k card> @Garyis2000 said:

Here’s a great discussion on the subject on the #1 High end Pokemon collectors web site...E4.

http://efour.proboards.com/thread/14418/psas-new-policy-hurt-integrity

I just watched that video and read the read - holy s**t no wonder turn-around times are so long. Apparently modern collectors and Pokemon collectors just send everything in bulk without considering the price.

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

@craig44 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@craig44 said:

Let's say you send in a very nice raw 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson and assume you have a solid shot at a 9 and put $400 on the submission form and submit it under the $100 to $500 service level. It comes back a 10 and instead is worth $25,000. You in reality sent the card in on the wrong service level and PSA comes in and charges you the appropriate amount. I see no problem with them wanting a piece of the action. It is my understanding it is only done in scenarios where it is much higher than the declared value. I have sent in plenty of cards on the collectors club special that once graded far exceed the $100 threshold and have not once been hit with the upcharge. The good news is it is their opinion that catapults the value so the submitter is only winning in this scenario.

Maybe I am unsure how this works. when a raw card is submitted, do you not choose your service level based on the raw value? or are you supposed to guess at what the card may grade when you choose the value for service level?

I honestly dont know. while I own oodles of PSA cards, I have never submitted any.

You're supposed to guess the grade. In the example above, if that PSA 10 gets lost in the mail coming home, how much do you want to be reimbursed?

My eBay Store =)

This discussion has been closed.