Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Safe Find of 200 year old store during demo!" aka thedockter

Comments

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

This POS has been doing this for months. Usually includes photos of some old building and sacks of silver.

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

The catogers at HA must have been unaware of the history behind this hoard. Next week these coins will miraculously transform into superb gems! Nice detive work Arizona Rare Coins!

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...reminder of the risks of buying raw.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    Wow! Isn't this considered fraud?

Pretty low level fraud. Made up backstory.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy has done similar stories before.... I think there are other threads here on other 'found' coins...Cheers, RickO

• ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure how much truth is behind it but I hear Great Southern Coins plays this crackout game too. However they leave out the storyline.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say report him to the IRS for non payment of income tax and let them sort it out with the seller.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Creative marketing! I can't LOL. I think fraud is provable.

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send him a message and ask him about this fraud just to see what they will say. Probably won't respond.

Trade $'s
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Heritage' photos with a black background.

Many happy BST transactions
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have noticed his tactics before....it could be reported and I do believe I will do just that...

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to auction and scroll down and you will see on the right: REPORT
    Click on: report.
    Click on: listing practices
    Click on: fraudulent listing practices
    Click on: You suspect listing is fraudulent

Repeat for each listing. If we all do this the fraud dept will act.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

Fraud turns on intent to deceive. While Anacs may have gotten it wrong on their grades, the story is an attempt to explain why coins of this supposed quality haven’t been graded or surfaced into the marketplace. Proving intent can be difficult, but it can be done. It looks like fraud to me.

I brake for ear bars.

I always wondered if any of these sleezes hang out among us here, or at least read the forums.

edited March 10, 2019 10:35AM

It would be nice if eBay would let us copy & paste the OP's layout of HA & eBay listings in a report but they only give you a line & a half to explain.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

cant use the LOL button but LOL.

BTW my last house was in Pike.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is also not allowed to use other people's picture on ebay. He is using heritage pictures. Could report him for that as well, and provide the heritage links.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see a story about an old safe or grandpa's sdb I move on. Some are true, but I'm not comfortable buying expensive raw coins and those stories do not help.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

At present the ebay bids are all substantially less than the hammer price at Heritage.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's not getting the bids?

Lets help this guy out with a better story.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    It is also not allowed to use other people's picture on ebay. He is using heritage pictures. Could report him for that as well, and provide the heritage links.

I think Heritage would need to be the one to report it and if they did it would be removed right away.
    ( IIRC, ebay needs to make sure of proof of ownership & permission for use was not granted )

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Report filed.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< 200 year old pottery store >>>

I give the scammer some credit for coming up with a new story line.

Never heard of a "200 year old pottery store" find before. 🙄

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great detective work, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin biz can be a deceitful business. (see my "more than a bloody coincidence" thread)

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Good detective work.
    What a total lying POS!

+1

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • csdotcsdot Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭

Like the unsearched rolls of Morgans, with CC end pieces. it's all BS.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible, just terrible. I wonder what will happen if they don't sell for more than what he (presumably) paid at Heritage though?

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a "200 year old pottery shop"? This guy is just a nut job.

• aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Maybe Heritage should watermark their photos to prevent theft.

Just a thought.

Chris

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

$5 and $10 was a lot of money back then, especially for pottery.

No wonder the pottery store went out of business. :D

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:
    This is a "200 year old pottery shop"? This guy is just a nut job.

Yes but he has low overhead and fixed costs.
    No need to hire a window cleaner.

• EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I 100% agree with you and admire your efforts & concern. I don't agree with how this seller does business. If you think ebay is going to care or do something about it, it's not going to happen. They would rather get the selling fees and make a buyer whole if needs be. Ebay will tell you if the seller doesn't have a return policy we will cover it with our buyer protection. The report button is pretty much a dead link anymore. They killed it about 4 or 5 years ago and got rid of the staff to man it. It still works for things like avoiding fees, trademark & copyright, offers to sell off ebay and so on. Even IF someone at ebay did look at it the chance of them understanding enough about coins and why the listing is fraudulent would be slim, you will be lucky if a ebay CSR in India isn't reviewing your report. I have reported counterfeit coin listings with 30 bids up to $2,000 and they won't take them down.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud :/

Your efforts are appreciated by the coin collecting hobby as a whole & buy collectors everywhere. :)

At least the coins are real. The fact that Ebay would rather make the $$$ than provide a buyer safe place to purchase authentic items will eventually be their demise. It may take another decade, but it will happen. At some point, the fraud and Ebay's reluctance to address it will come back and get them where it hurts. Same with "we buy gold" B&M coin dealers or slabbing AT coins. Eventually when the trust of the consumer is broken in a service industry, those providing service will lose the respect they need to thrive.

If you really want an Ebay counterfeit listing removed, PM me with the item number and the diagnostics to prove beyond any doubt the item is counterfeit with enough time left to make it happen.

If we as collectors do not come together to make Ebay change, they won't..... until it's too late for them, and us. IMHO

Ed

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

edited March 10, 2019 10:46PM

@Edthelorax
    "If you really want an Ebay counterfeit listing removed, PM me with the item number and the diagnostics to prove beyond any doubt the item is counterfeit with enough time left to make it happen."

Do you have a special "in" with ebay?

How many listings would you have time to have removed in a day?

Here's you one to practice with 352613487173 it should be quite clear to you it is not genuine, if you need diagnostics feel free to PM.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @Edthelorax
    "If you really want an Ebay counterfeit listing removed, PM me with the item number and the diagnostics to prove beyond any doubt the item is counterfeit with enough time left to make it happen."

Do you have a special "in" with ebay?

How many listings would you have time to have removed in a day?

Here's you one to practice with 352613487173 it should be quite clear to you it is not genuine, if you need diagnostics feel free to PM.

Wrong D and placement.
    LMK if it's up in 12 hrs

edited March 10, 2019 11:04PM

@Edthelorax

283408712491 Here is another one for ya. I can find em' faster than you can report them.

Couple more for ya. 372621283481 153406603166

@ifthevamzarockin funny you picked one from my stomping grounds.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @Edthelorax

283408712491 Here is another one for ya. I can find em' faster than you can report them.

Couple more for ya. 372621283481 153406603166

I can't keep up with the ones I find. That is one reason for the diagnostics and PM. More important is getting enough support to force Ebay to make the changes. Stick to the ones that are high dollar or many multiple listings.

@Edthelorax

What method of reporting are you using?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file