Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

**BBCE GROUP BREAK IS ON: UPDATE 4.1 79 Topps Hockey Box added to Final Product -- See 1st POST**

Comments

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Looks like there are 2 1997 Topps chrome basketball hobby boxes in stock @ $325 each...these would be a fun and potentially rewarding rip at less than $15 per pack

Not sure of the difference in contents, but there are also 3 retail boxes available @ $250 each

• I assume Steve at BBCE can still not wrap any of the individual packs in his BBCE wrapping? Still not possible even for multiple pack purchases? that is a big selling point for pack collectors and I would certainly buy many more packs if that was possible. No exception he can get from PSA for these group breaks? Would love some of those 80-81 basketball packs wrapped.

Also...I am interested in the 1997 chrome basketball boxes too.
    Also the 2000 football boxes that have Brady---those are relatively cheap on a per pack basis
    Also some of the 1996 basketball boxes with Kobe rookies
    And the 2001 topps baseball boxes that have Pujols and/or Ichiro rookies... Those on a per pack basis are relatively cheap and good for a rip or for personal pack collection.

Also nice to throw in some 93 product with Jeter rookies----cheap packs and boxes--Score super packs, Topps, etc.

even some 90s junk wax boxes can be fun to open..--,

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philliesfan2 said:
    I assume Steve at BBCE can still not wrap any of the individual packs in his BBCE wrapping? Still not possible even for multiple pack purchases? that is a big selling point for pack collectors and I would certainly buy many more packs if that was possible. No exception he can get from PSA for these group breaks? Would love some of those 80-81 basketball packs wrapped.

Also the 2000 football boxes that have Brady---those are relatively cheap on a per pack basis
    And the 2001 topps baseball boxes that have Pujols and/or Ichiro rookies... Those on a per pack basis are relatively cheap and good for a rip or for personal pack collection.

Also nice to throw in some 93 product with Jeter rookies----cheap packs and boxes--Score super packs, Topps, etc.

Steve cannot wrap individual wax or cello packs due to his contractural agreement with PSA.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be in on some of this if that’s ok...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Sounds awesome. I like the big ticket items.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2019 2:24PM

@philliesfan2 said:
    I assume Steve at BBCE can still not wrap any of the individual packs in his BBCE wrapping? Still not possible even for multiple pack purchases? that is a big selling point for pack collectors and I would certainly buy many more packs if that was possible. No exception he can get from PSA for these group breaks? Would love some of those 80-81 basketball packs wrapped.

I am 99.9% positive that the only packs Steve will wrap will be any rack packs that are purchased. He cannot wrap packs that PSA grades. If you get a nice 80-81 pack (especially if you get the prize with Bird Magic) I would say subbing the pack to PSA would be a no brainer. As for your other suggestions, I would definitely be happy to request more boxes. I am not a big BB or FB collector though, so you would have to make the recommendation as to what product you want. Go to the website and then PM me or post on here your specific request and we can go from there.

@pjb103183 said:
    Not sure of the difference in contents, but there are also 3 retail boxes available @ $250 each

I am open to adding the 97 Topps Chrome BK boxes. They will have the possibility of Tim Duncan and Tracy McGrady RC's. I am guessing the difference in hobby vs retail for that product is simply the number of cards you receive and the number of refractors. I will see what I can find out.

@mintonlypls said:
    Bird/Magic pack showing!

Vote is noted. If anyone else is looking at the 80-81 packs, please vote, regular box or Bird Magic Box. For $26/pack more, my vote is also for the Bird Magic box. Steve has pulled both boxes for now but he would like to know by the end of the day which box we want so he can put back the other. Get your votes in. Right now it is 3-0 for Bird Magic.

@Cory1976 said:
    Ok thanks for running this break.

You're welcome.

@LarkinCollector said:

Tiger autos are live in 01 SPA.

Thanks Kyle. Long odds I am sure, but still fun to know it is possible!

Steve

@rcmb3220 said:
    Can someone clarify if the wrapped 80s football cases are not FASC? I don’t think they are but if Steve is confident the contents are original, that’d be good enough for me.

I talked to Steve and the 80s FB are unfortunately not FASC. I asked if he thought they were original cases that just happened to be opened and he said he could not confirm that one way or another.

Steve

Good job on the discount.

Let's go for the Bird/Johnson showing box.

Provided nobody has done so already, I would like to request the aforementioned pack.

@lightningboy said:
    Good job on the discount.

Let's go for the Bird/Johnson showing box.

Provided nobody has done so already, I would like to request the aforementioned pack.

So it is now 4-0 for the Bird Magic box. You will have a 1/36 chance for every $185 you spend :)

Steve

I posted a couple of updates already today. I have confirmed that the boxes/cases in the first post have been reserved for us. I will send him another list later today of products to reserve.

Steve

PM sent with some additional pack/box suggestions. Thanks for taking this up, Steve! :)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Steve, I’m in for the 80-81 bk stars showing wax but I’d be interested in a head count for how many buys so we know if there is a realistic chance to fill that order. I’m open to other considerations. My main hope is that we get a large number of folks participating.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

If available, I would take 2 or 3 of the 80 BKB.

@grote15 said:
    PM sent with some additional pack/box suggestions. Thanks for taking this up, Steve! :)

Received. Thanks for the input.

@han_soto said:
    love to get in on the ‘88 fleer!

would do a lil ud golf, too.

There will definitely be golf.

@akuracy503 said:
    Steve, I’m in for the 80-81 bk stars showing wax but I’d be interested in a head count for how many buys so we know if there is a realistic chance to fill that order. I’m open to other considerations. My main hope is that we get a large number of folks participating.

I am very confident the 80-81 box will fill.

@lightningboy said:
    If available, I would take 2 or 3 of the 80 BKB.

We will have an announcement of when the break commences once the list of items is finalized with Steve. I will give at least 24 hours notice so that everyone has a fair chance to log in and see the start time. Spoiler alert!! I am hoping the start time will be either this coming Sunday or Monday night. We are probably looking at sometime between 5:00-6:00 PM so it is not too late for East Coasters, but the West Coast guys can log in after or at the end of work. I will start a new thread when the break goes live for reservations!!!

Steve

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

I missed this earlier. You are absolutely welcome, as is anybody else who wants to jump in.

@lightningboy said:

Agreed. I am trying to get some variety. I think the rips are fun when you have some lower dollar packs that include all budgets and encourage more people to join and also rip! But I still like the higher dollar ones too, stuff that may be ripped or kept unopened as a rare, cool collectible part of an unopened collection.

Steve

Is there any interest for hockey?

Steve
  • GilbeyGilbey Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I'm in for the 80 basketball. Bird/Magic also 76 football sounds like a good rip.

edited February 27, 2019 4:37PM

@Gilbey said:
    I'm in for the 80 basketball. Bird/Magic also 76 football sounds like a good rip.

Sounds good. Any preferences on Football from the group? We currently have the 76 cello reserved. I am going to add some FB requests tonight. If I don't hear some requests I will add what I think will be a fun variety.

Steve
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭

The box with the B/M showing gets my vote.

Robb

• abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I might do 81 football.

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

In in for Bird/Magic box. I'll take several packs if we can't fill it up. That's about the only break I'd do. I could be arm twisted for the 76 football, but it would be a one-off for me.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
    edited February 27, 2019 5:27PM

@slum22 said:

I missed this earlier. You are absolutely welcome, as is anybody else who wants to jump in.

@lightningboy said:

Agreed. I am trying to get some variety. I think the rips are fun when you have some lower dollar packs that include all budgets and encourage more people to join and also rip! But I still like the higher dollar ones too, stuff that may be ripped or kept unopened as a rare, cool collectible part of an unopened collection.

I think this is spot on. The right combination of higher value and lower value packs will help bring more people into the break to participate which is the goal of any group break. I think we should also implement per pack and per box maximums for at least the first 24-48 hours so that everyone has a chance to reserve the items they want. Maybe 2-3 packs for any box break and 1 box for any case break.

• I would be interested in the Bird/Magic box. Thanks for organizing and I am glad a group break is back.

Paul

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

74 and 76 football

@grote15 said:

@slum22 said:

@lightningboy said:

I think this is spot on. The right combination of higher value and lower value packs will help being more people into the break to participate which is the goal of any group break. I think we should also implement per pack and per box maximums for at least the first 24-48 hours so that everyone has a chance to reserve the items they want. Maybe 2-3 packs for any box break and 1 box for any case break.

Yes, this break will follow breaks of the past where there will be limits for the first 24 and then 48 hours on packs and boxes. The limits will depend on the product and the quantities, but your numbers are in line with what to expect. The goal is to make this as much fun for as many collectors as possible!

@moonlightgraham said:
    I would be interested in the Bird/Magic box. Thanks for organizing and I am glad a group break is back.

Paul

Glad to have you in this Paul.

Steve

@abcoltsfan said:
    I might do 81 football.

I just sent an email to Steve to reserve more products and 81 FB is on the list of requested products. I won't say too much until I get confirmation of the reservation from Steve.

@fergie23 said:
    The box with the B/M showing gets my vote.

Robb

Thanks Robb. It took me a minute to get what B/M meant. I had some very different first ideas :#

@Sdub said:
    In in for Bird/Magic box. I'll take several packs if we can't fill it up. That's about the only break I'd do. I could be arm twisted for the 76 football, but it would be a one-off for me.

Noted. Prepare to have your arm twisted JB :D

Steve
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slum22 said:
    Thanks Robb. It took me a minute to get what B/M meant. I had some very different first ideas :#

Brick and Mortar? I'm sure that's what you were thinking.

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭

I’m definitely down for much of
    the baseball, particularly liked hearing the interest in 82Donruss and 83Vending.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979 topps hockey wax box

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Sounds like old times!

Bird/Magic facing box break along with all the other goodness mentioned sounds like fun!

Thanks for organizing!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • Is the 1979/80 OPC Hockey Unopened Wax Box with the Gretzky showing a pipe dream?

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Bird/Magic vote here
    Saw a few other considerations:
    78 OPC BB tape intact
    05 UD HKY (Crosby)
    93 FINEST BB refractor hot box

I just updated the first post with what is currently reserved for us. I think it is a pretty good product mix. I do plan on adding more product to the mix, but I don't want to have Steve reserve a bunch of stuff and end up not filling the breaks. So I really need input from the group on what products they want and I will go to bat for them with Steve. I definitely think we are light on FB and BK so I will add more on my own if there is not a groundswell for anything with those. For BB I think we have room for some more as well. Golf seems pretty well represented, lol. But hey, the vocal minority will be heard! The 80-81 BK box looks like it will be the headliner. Right now the Bird Magic box is leading the vote in a landslide. If that box fills though, we can always add the regular box if there is enough demand.

Steve

@LarkinCollector said:

@slum22 said:

Brick and Mortar? I'm sure that's what you were thinking.

Um, yes...

@han_soto said:
    i second grotes mention of pack limitation on first so-so hours so errybody gets a chance.

i also like the “throw everything up and lets just see what sticks” notion. including that ‘88 fleer box 😉

There will be a pack limit. The 88 Fleer Basketball box has been reserved. Did you want an 88 Fleer Baseball box too? :)

@NJ80sBBC said:
    I’m definitely down for much of
    the baseball, particularly liked hearing the interest in 82Donruss and 83Vending.

1982 Donruss case is reserved for us. There is a vote currently if we want the $1900 vs the $2000 version. Check the first post for details and PM or post your vote please. I already inquired about the 83 vending but it appears those may not be available. He will let me know tomorrow.

@UFFDAH said:
    1979 topps hockey wax box

I will request it if we get enough support for it.

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Is the 1979/80 OPC Hockey Unopened Wax Box with the Gretzky showing a pipe dream?

How many packs are you buying Joe? ;) I think the math works out to a bit more than $1k/pack there. As posted above, I will request it if we get enough support for it.

@han_soto said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Is the 1979/80 OPC Hockey Unopened Wax Box with the Gretzky showing a pipe dream?

im in! i need it to go w/ my 9!

It is not a pipe dream if you and Joe will split the box, 24 packs a piece? ;)

@initialD said:
    Bird/Magic vote here
    Saw a few other considerations:
    78 OPC BB tape intact
    05 UD HKY (Crosby)
    93 FINEST BB refractor hot box

78 OPC Tape Intact is reserved. I will look into the 05 UD HKY and 93 Finest BB Refractor hot box. If anyone else wants in on these products, now is the time to chime in.

Steve
  • Steve, Thank you again for organizing the group break. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

My vote on the 82 donruss is to bypass the vote and issue an executive order.

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I'd definitely be in for a 82 Donruss box, and yeah, even if you planned to open it, why wouldn't you want the FASC wrapping for less money, if you are just going to remove the wrapping to open the packs anyways?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve L, if Steve H is willing to release the 2014 UD SP hobby case (golf), we're 2/3 of the way there already

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

82 Donruss Wax Box Case already wrapped FASC: $90.25/box
    Already wrapped and cheaper sounds good to me.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I am in for any of the early 80 baseball stuff. My budget will only be around $300.
    Thanks...

JOHN

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Cheap donruss sounds great. Golf? I’m in.

Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭

Any pre-90s football for me.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2019 9:56PM

Interested in '78 OPC and '81 Topps Rack baseball

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    i second grotes mention of pack limitation on first so-so hours so errybody gets a chance.

i also like the “throw everything up and lets just see what sticks” notion. including that ‘88 fleer box 😉

There was a set of group break rules that developed over time that promoted inclusivity and fairness. They could always use a review, but I suggest you copy them from one of the old group break threads and start from there.

It’s great to see the excitement of a group break ramping up here on the board again!!! Collecting together is one of the truly great things that is possible in our hobby. It would be a shame if any of this was tarnished by forgetting what we’ve learned about providing good advance notice, having reasonable start times (taking into account time zone differences), limiting requests for specific products per time periods and making sure that the “biggest fish” aren’t getting full boxes leaving not enough individual packs for the “little fish”

The most important thing we did was start a completely new thread for the break ahead of time and requiring all requests to be posted in the new thread GOING BY THE POSTED TIMESTAMP IN THE THREAD. That prevents anyone, including the break organizer, from getting the “jump” on anyone else. If you post before the official start time as indicated by the system-generated timestamp in the post, not you own computer, then your request is no good.

Looking forward to a great break.

Dave
  • RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

2005 U.D. Hockey series 1 sounds good

Rob

1996 and/or 1997 Topps Chrome basketball?

edited February 28, 2019 2:17AM

@72Collector said:
    Steve, Thank you again for organizing the group break. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

You're welcome Steve. Fun is the goal here!

@jmmiller777 said:
    I am in for any of the early 80 baseball stuff. My budget will only be around $300.
    Thanks...

JOHN

Should be able to get some fun stuff to rip with that budget :)

@kerryville said:
    Cheap donruss sounds great. Golf? I’m in.

Where's the thumbs up emoji when I need it?

@ssollars said:
    Any pre-90s football for me.

We have a few options up now. Anything else on the site you would suggest?

@brad31 said:
    Interested in '78 OPC and '81 Topps Rack baseball

I don't think you will be alone. Steve Hart mentioned in his first email to me that he was sorry that the current inventory of 70's was a bit light but I guess the 80's are going to be the new 70's!

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@han_soto said:

There was a set of group break rules that developed over time that promoted inclusivity and fairness. They could always use a review, but I suggest you copy them from one of the old group break threads and start from there.

It’s great to see the excitement of a group break ramping up here on the board again!!! Collecting together is one of the truly great things that is possible in our hobby. It would be a shame if any of this was tarnished by forgetting what we’ve learned about providing good advance notice, having reasonable start times (taking into account time zone differences), limiting requests for specific products per time periods and making sure that the “biggest fish” aren’t getting full boxes leaving not enough individual packs for the “little fish”

The most important thing we did was start a completely new thread for the break ahead of time and requiring all requests to be posted in the new thread GOING BY THE POSTED TIMESTAMP IN THE THREAD. That prevents anyone, including the break organizer, from getting the “jump” on anyone else. If you post before the official start time as indicated by the system-generated timestamp in the post, not you own computer, then your request is no good.

Looking forward to a great break.

Thanks Dave. I am confident we will have a fun break. It is great to see the excitement of another group break on the boards. I used to love taking part in the breaks that were held on here. Hopefully this all runs smoothly and will be the "first" break of 2019 and not a one off!

@Redglobe said:
    2005 U.D. Hockey series 1 sounds good

This box has been mentioned earlier. I would like some hockey in here even though I don't really collect it. I will put a request in with Steve.

@pjb103183 said:
    1996 and/or 1997 Topps Chrome basketball?

imageimage" alt="" title="" />

@rcmb3220 said:
    My vote on the 82 donruss is to bypass the vote and issue an executive order.

Luckily, it seems we have another landslide with 82 Donruss. Don't worry, when the time comes for an executive order, I will be ready ;)

@UFFDAH said:
    74 and 76 football

We have the 76 FB Cello on the slate already. I would be happy to request the 74 if we have sufficient interest. Anybody else looking for 74 FB?

@galaxy27 said:
    Steve L, if Steve H is willing to release the 2014 UD SP hobby case (golf), we're 2/3 of the way there already

I think I already requested this. May have forgot to post in the list.

@han_soto said:
    steve,

if it hasnt already, i think background chatter is requesting that the ‘14 ud get reserved.

That is the word on the street.

Steve
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks slum22....

I am down for:

Basketball
    1980-81 Topps Basketball Wax Box w/ Bird Magic showing
    1988 Fleer Basketball Wax Box

Baseball
    1978 OPC wax box Tape Intact
    1981 Topps rack box
    1981 Topps wax box
    1982 Topps wax box
    1982 Topps baseball cello box
    1983 Topps wax boxes
    1983 Topps rack box

Steve

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 1:28PM

greetings! yes on both basketball--yes on all baseball--and OK golf too!

and football !!