Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your favorite So-Called Dollar.

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 20, 2018 6:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's one of Dave Bowers 1961-62 circa HK-854A White Metal Continental Dollar SC$1 re-strikes counter stamped with his Empire Coin Company store card obverse/revere dies during his early days with partner Jim Ruddy. The store card obverse motif is copied from the 1787 IMMUNIS COLUMBIA copper and the reverse from a $5 gold coin of 1795 these being the Empire Coin Company trademark. The obverse states Empire Coin Company Inc. and the reverse Professional Numismatists.

This received some surprising web love a few years ago https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n18a13.html

Click on image to Super Size :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have any SCD's... That being said, I think this one is my new favorite... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2018 7:08AM

Thanks for sharing the coin and NBS article.

Clicking on image takes me to tinypic...com.

Edit to add. Took a couple tries and the web page with the image finally came up.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Thanks for sharing the coin and NBS article.

Clicking on image takes me to tinypic...com.

Edit to add. Took a couple tries and the web page with the image finally came up.

Practice makes Perfect? ;):p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those SCDs warmed my morning B) Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    The HK-371 in gold:

I bought the dies for these in the 1980's to keep them from being restruck, but later sold the dies with my Elder collection to Leon Hendrickson. Does anybody know where the dies are today?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised kett hasn't responded yeet as this is right up his alley.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Wells Fargo So Called Dollar? I always loved that one, but sold the one Inhad with the original case and slabbed NGC MS66 years ago.
    The piece is great with imagery that seems to put the whole medal in motion. The Wells Fargo coach is buzzing along their route when they are suddenly about to get hit with an arrow from one of those dastardly indigenous people. But the cowboys are packing heat in the form of long rifles. It was given out to employees that were with the company at the time of their 50th? Anniversary.
    Great piece

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2018 10:18AM

@DCW said:
    No Wells Fargo So Called Dollar? I always loved that one, but sold the one Inhad with the original case and slabbed NGC MS66 years ago.
    The piece is great with imagery that seems to put the whole medal in motion. The Wells Fargo coach is buzzing along their route when they are suddenly about to get hit with an arrow from one of those dastardly indigenous people. But the cowboys are packing heat in the form of long rifles. It was given out to employees that were with the company at the time of their 50th? Anniversary.
    Great piece

I don't have a Wells Fargo Dollar yet, but I was recently following this cast offered by Jeff Shevlin. I thought it had an interesting look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HK-296-AU-SO-CALLED-WELLS-FARGO-COMPANY-SEMI-CENTENNIAL-CAST-1902-/143012850404

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a feast for my eyes. Historical events are fuel for so called dollars. That was a great tour. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@keets said:
    HK-887/D-96, Silver. listed as an R-8(5-10 known) and still the only one I have ever seen.

Purty!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! What a beautiful collection here!

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to find my pictures, I have a small bunch

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Lots of great ones here. This is one of my favorites.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options

Don't forget the gold dollar sized Elder pieces and other small gold pieces.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice metals Keets! ;)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 4:48AM

Don't forget the gold dollar sized Elder pieces and other small gold pieces

not Gold but close enough, HK-490/Gilt Copper, 12mm/R-8.

• Options
    PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Per @Keets an HK-1030 changed hands in 2018... made by a Jeweler named Kroll in NYC in prep for the PPIE.... trifecta ... some argue a little too big for SCD, but like with everything in the series, it finds its way in as an exception to some...

So-Called Dollar Collector
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2019 6:46PM

@Regulated said:
    Technically, I suppose these fit the bill...

More so because it seems like they are medals and not coins :)

Love what looks like die cracks on the reverse.

• Options
    PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@coinsarefun ... I have all sorts of the Midwinter pieces... but with Jeff & Bill's new book, on the hunt for more varieties now ....

So-Called Dollar Collector
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Regulated said:

My precise point. I wonder when the various information outlets will change the "Proposed National Issue" designation? More than a few people I know have wondered whether there's potential legal liability associated with ignoring the current understanding of the item.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2019 7:13PM

@Regulated said:

@Zoins said:

@Regulated said:

My precise point. I wonder when the various information outlets will change the "Proposed National Issue" designation? More than a few people I know have wondered whether there's potential legal liability associated with ignoring the current understanding of the item.

Has there been any discussion with the editors of the Red Book?

Beyond that, would there need to be a lawsuit from someone suffering financial loss with expert witnesses sworn in to testify before a jury of one’s peers?

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Red Book is making changes for the next edition, and will probably make further changes pending some new information that will be coming to light in the next year.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file