Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 American Innovation $1 Coin (Intro coin) (18GA, 18GRA, 18GRE, 18GBA, 18GBE) (RP is sold out...)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2019 10:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Reverse Proof post can be found here.

And the day you've all been waiting for will arrive December 14 at Noon, just in time for Christmas! Mark this day on your calendars so when you want to discuss which coins series from the Mint was the most disliked, it will be easy to find.

Okay, I could be wrong. Get back to me in 2033 when the series is supposed to end and I'll let you know what I think in hindsight.

The Mint, by law, is going to market an Introduction coin to the American Innovation $1 series (aka the "Innobuck"), so if your normal 56 coin series isn't long enough for you, you now have a 57-coin series, in uncirculated, proof and reverse proof finishes! Well, mostly.

Here's the original thread, with the history of the coin:
American Innovation $1 Coin Act, H.R. 6025 (Now, HR 770. Became law 7/20)

And yeah,

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: None

Links to US Mint web pages:
American Innovation 2018 $1 Proof Coin (18GA)
The proof coin has yet to receive a price. They may have to post the price to the FedReg first. (The bag and roll prices were already established by the Sacabucks, but there's no price for a single brassbuck yet.)

Update: The proof has been priced at $6.95... Not bad...

American Innovation $1 Coin 2018 Rolls and Bags (18GRA&E and 18GBA&E)
This page has a drop down menu for the P/D rolls and bags. 25-coin Rolls will be $32.95, 100-coin bags will be $111.95. There are no P/D sets. (Wondering about the catalog numbers? 18 is the year, G is the series, R=Roll/B=Bag. The last letter, A-D will be the four releases from P-Mint, E-H from the D-Mint.)

Admittedly, the obverse doesn't look too bad. Still hate edge lettering. :smile:

And just to note, all of the single Innobucks to be released next year have reverse proof finishes. No RP finish for this year's coin? Is that a fail?

And finally, remember this coin series was mandated by Congress, and the design elements for this coin were also a congressional mandate. The Mint is as much a victim in this as the collector is... :wink:

I'm still hopeful that with such a short law->design->production time, there will be errors. Hey, they could still do that intentional rarity this year. Make 5% of the proof coins with a reverse proof finish... :D

Comments

• Options

I doubt I'll need this space, but you never know! :smiley:

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for a bag. These are going to be fun to spend.....

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will get some. Why?

Presents, tips, and just to collect.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of like the design. It looks more like a medal than a coin. The wide open space on the obverse is nice. Only complaint is I wish they made the “$1” the same size font as “In God We Trust”

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    I will get some. Why?

Presents, tips, and just to collect.

I still might do a RP set. Should be an inexpensive endeavor, but I need to see one in hand. The RP Sacs weren't bad. Seriously, they might look okay in an album...

I will wait for the first story of some store calling the police about some guy who was trying to pass these golden metal disks as money... :D

• Options
    edited December 4, 2018 7:14AM

I suspect there will be some “weirdness” for the FS/FDOI slabs. Perhaps a bit of flipping frenzy?

Probably going to be hard getting PF/MS 70s due to the open obverse field. Might be challenging for a good pic without reflecting the camera/picture taker.

As of 25 November the mint’s production figures does not list this coin. So does that mean they started production the last week in November? I guess we will find out when it is released this week.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me... No interest at all. Just another commercial series. The only redeeming value will be attracting young/new collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Like or or not, you have to admit that is a new look for a coin. That obverse is a bold design statement.

I think I like it. I'll have to let it sink in to be sure.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the time this series wraps up I’ll be a corpse rotting in the ground!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gonzer said:
    Still room for more designer initials.

You'll notice that JK is already on there - I say leave it as is. :D

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 12:22AM

Today is the day.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, Dan Carr, buy the entire mintage and overstrike it with something of artistic merit!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Please, Dan Carr, buy the entire mintage and overstrike it with something of artistic merit!

O M G ,

Now THERE is an idea. Even if a person were to overstrike the entire mintage as Chuck E. Cheese Tokens , the end result would at least be of some useful meaning.

Personally, I think the entire series ought to be switched to NYC Subway Tokens with notable NYC Attractions featured . Of course the face value might need to be increased to $5 ..... Or whatever a typical fare costs these days.

• Options

@kiyote said:
    By the time this series wraps up I’ll be a corpse rotting in the ground!

Yes yes. The way the Mint puts out pointless and unattractive junk these days my Brain is becoming like a useless mass of decaying Cauliflower. Please US Mint, consider outsourcing to Great Britain or even the Island Nation of Tuvalu. Your Product is not fit for a Living Population.

😱

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have I mentioned that they need to get rid of the paper dollar if they want dollar coins to circulate?

I have?

Sorry.

• Options

Bounce

• Options

Only around 34 hours until the starting gates open . Wow. I was thinking of ordering a few to spend but upon further thought, I guess not. I use a Card to buy 99.8% of everything.

Don't need no stinking batches, here, Amigo.

🤠

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018 11:55PM

@PipestonePete said:

I'm with you.
    It will make for some curious looks :*

I'll probably go with Philadelphia since it's closer???

• Options

No production limit nor HH limits. Does not make for a big rush to get any on the first day.

Host of the forum gives 30 days for FS label if anyone is planning on slabbing so you have until 13 Jan 19 to order.

So, that means you could place three orders in Jan 19, then you get free shipping the rest of 2019.

• Options

Tomorrow's the day! So rev up those browsers... Or not...

I'm in for a proof. One of them. (I bought a couple of the 1999 SBA proofs. Only need one...)

Good thing I have free shipping, since budget shipping would almost double the price... :D

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    No production limit nor HH limits. Does not make for a big rush to get any on the first day.

Host of the forum gives 30 days for FS label if anyone is planning on slabbing so you have until 13 Jan 19 to order.

So, that means you could place three orders in Jan 19, then you get free shipping the rest of 2019.

You are better off if you have subscriptions, since subscriptions ship free, but count toward the Loyalty Program. For instance, if you normally order a proof ASE (available Jan 10), subscribe, it will ship free and count toward the Loyalty Program.

My strategy (if you can call it that), is to subscribe to the ASE purchase, then the Apollo commems will be in at least two packages. That'll set me up for the loyalty program for the year...

The real question is how to buy the Apollo commems. I suspect there may be a strategy needed... :D

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said:

@PipestonePete said:

I'm with you.

Let us know if you get arrested for trying to pass fake money... :wink:

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@PipestonePete said:

I'm with you.

LOL! :D

That is the best part. Always funny to hear/see how people react. I still have a few ‘17 Sacs left... probably going to use as tips on some family holiday outings.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

You are better off if you have subscriptions, since subscriptions ship free, but count toward the Loyalty Program. For instance, if you normally order a proof ASE (available Jan 10), subscribe, it will ship free and count toward the Loyalty Program.

My strategy (if you can call it that), is to subscribe to the ASE purchase, then the Apollo commems will be in at least two packages. That'll set me up for the loyalty program for the year...

The real question is how to buy the Apollo commems. I suspect there may be a strategy needed... :D

True! I also found it does not have to be just coins. Any product like the gift sleeves count for the three.

Now to figure out this “mint error”. ;)

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

At this point, they're likely to accept anything against my bar tab. B)

• Options

Should I say it? Ho-ho-ho...

Sorta sad that this is the most exciting product the Mint has had in months. (And trust me, I'm not all that excited. :D) On the other hand, if they hadn't forced this onto the schedule, 2018 would have gone out with less than a whimper.

Oh well, still in for a proof. I'll make it my numismatic xmas gift to myself. More sad, is if they send it smartpost (and they probably will), I won't get it until after Christmas... :(

• Options

Mint’s offering $10 off expedited shipping. So the discounted price is $7.95. More than the coin itself. :/

• Options

I'm done. :wink:

USM062210xx

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no date on the obverse of the coin.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Still no date on the obverse of the coin.

Not enough room so the put it on the edge...

The edge-incused inscriptions include the year of minting, the mint mark, and “E PLURIBUS UNUM

;);)

• Options

Just thought of something. Since these are 2018 does that mean when the year ends that’s it?

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 12:45PM

Not a commem so they can be sold forever...but...only minted this year

I know...that thought gave me a major "Hmmmm" but they have probably been cranking them out for months...still will be "low" mintage compared to next years'

Same issue with the Clark P puck of last year. Released in December and did end up with a decently low mintage....

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2018 2:10PM

The Franklin Mint minted proof medals and ingots for the 50 states, of the presidents, the first ladies, birds, flags, banks and greatest inventions of all time. This was back in the 1970-80's. What took the US Mint so long to catch up?

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

Ok...but facts are that any coin that is not a commem can be sold until they run out. They can only be minted in the year they are released but they can mint a crapload up to 12/31 ...or not.

No different from any other non-commem other than the date of release...

If this was a commem then it would have more potential because they would only have 3 weeks to sell them

• Options

@BigA said:
    Ok...but facts are that any coin that is not a commem can be sold until they run out. They can only be minted in the year they are released but they can mint a crapload up to 12/31 ...or not.

No different from any other non-commem other than the date of release...

If this was a commem then it would have more potential because they would only have 3 weeks to sell them

Agree.

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

For 6.95 and free shipping, thought I would order one.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 2:54PM

Yup...got a few and I will admit to ordering a couple of rolls from each mint

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 3:13PM

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 3:08PM

This post was originally five posts up before BigA’s (trying to put this back into context.)

——-

Thanks @BigA.

Called Mint’s CS and spoke with a pleasant young lady about about how long they will be on sale for. She had to put me on-hold to check and... . . . . . . basically they do not know. Only could tell me that as long as it is on the website it should be available. A few other questions and basically the same response. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Below is the letter from CCAC to the Treasury Secretary Mnuchin on the recommended design. Dated 28 Sep 18.

So basically the mint had/has from when the Secretary approved to the end of year to strike these coins, Oct to Dec, less than 90 days (still need to subtract weekend and holidays.)

———

September 28, 2018
    The Honorable Steven T. Mnuchin Secretary of the Treasury Department of the Treasury
    1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20220

Dear Secretary Mnuchin,
    A public meeting of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) was held on Thursday, September 28, 2018, to review and discuss the candidate designs for the 2018 first coin of the American Innovation $1 Coin Program.

The American Innovation $1 Coin Act, Public Law 115-197, was enacted mid-year, and the Committee was cognizant of the responsibility to quickly but thoughtfully recommend the sole obverse that would be used for the next 14 years in this coin program, involving innovations from each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia and the five US territories.

The law mandates that the reverse bear the signature of George Washington as depicted on the first US patent, issued on July 31, 1790. The mint mark and date, along with “E Pluribus Unum,” are to be edge-lettered in this series.

After robust discussion, the Committee recommended a bold design of the Statue of Liberty (2018-AI-O-08) facing left and holding high her torch. The negative space surrounding Liberty will make a distinctive and easily identifiable obverse. This design received 18 of 30 possible votes, and was also the preference of the Commission of Fine Arts.

The reverse design (2018-AI-R-08), bearing George Washington’s signature above “Signed First Patent”, was clearly the Committee’s favorite, garnering 29 of a possible 30 votes. This distinctive design, with the United States of America on a diagonal strip separating a series of gears from the words “American Innovators” and the U.S. Patent Office relief on the Hoover Building in Washington, D.C., is a testimony to American industry and innovation. A discussion of using a gear as a privy mark for future designs may offer the collector of this new series a compelling reason to acquire each new coin, no matter how diverse the innovations or inventions.

The Committee is pleased to be a part of recommending designs for this series.

Best regards, I am

Mary N. Lannin Chair

——-

So in the absense of having any kind of Mint answer... I did put an order in. ;)

• Options

That is the answer..nothing new

• Options

@BigA said:

That is the answer..nothing new

I agree, again. Somehow my post got rearranged.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Free shipping! Got me a bag for $12 over spot.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Free shipping! Got me a bag for $12 over spot.

There is free shipping on bags?

• Options

Yes. When I went to check out it said free shipping.

• Options

This is a cheap thrill considering the budget shipping is been waived. $12 per bag (P&D) ought to level my horse out just fine.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Just thought of something. Since these are 2018 does that mean when the year ends that’s it?

The 2019 issue is not due until late in the year. I suspect these will be available well into the new year.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they would get rid of that cheap looking "$1" denomination and actually put, "ONE DOLLAR" on it. It makes these things look like cheap arcade tokens.

thefinn
  • Options

And that is how I intend to use them as cheap arcade tokens for tips. People love getting them.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like your brass, you can keep your brass.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file