Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin (18EK) (Sold out...)

Comments

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

WOW! Neat find on the list. Always wonders which country came out with the 1st PD coin ( Sierra Leone in 1966?)

Also wondering if any1 else in this world is doing this list...

nice list

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

Can you imagine a Daytona 500 with quiet electric cars.

Can you imagine the loudest part of the race actually the crowd of people watching! And perhaps the sound of tires rolling along the pavement...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@Goldminers said:

Can you imagine a Daytona 500 with quiet electric cars.

Can you imagine the loudest part of the race actually the crowd of people watching! And perhaps the sound of tires rolling along the pavement...

Until the big crash. The race and multiple crashes last week was spectacular and thankfully no one got hurt.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 3:12PM

A big jump as Miles posted the reason in this thread https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1015042/2019-reverse-proof-palladium-to-be-mto#latest

Up $44.00 to over $1,500 for the first time.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    A big jump as Miles posted the reason in this thread https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1015042/2019-reverse-proof-palladium-to-be-mto#latest

If the Mint sold the Pd now it would be $1937.50. :o

• @Hemispherical said:

@Kudbegud said:

If the Mint sold the Pd now it would be $1937.50. :o

There a lot for sale on ebay and have gone down in price from a few months ago.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy times for Palladium, the previously quiet silvery metal.
    I divested of one Maple and am in a holding pattern for the rest; just a bit of hedging after the big run up.
    Regardless of the long or short term outcome, this spikage makes metals monitoring more fun.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

And as others have noted (mostly bestday) I am in regardless of pricing for the RP.
    This is one of the few Mint series, regardless of repeating images, that i am excited about for beauty’s sake.

I am keeping one of each palladiums in 70 for my commemorative set, regardless of price, but I already sold all my other palladium, obviously a few weeks too early, except for one Stillwater which might get sold to help pay for one nice RP.

If there are no limits during that order week, I think there could be a lot more than 15,000 orders, so I may have to be patient and just wait to get a 70 FS from a dealer on this forum.

• batumibatumi Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 2017 along with the 2018 palladiums, and after the fallout. I just MAY have a 2019-on the secondary market. Hopefully this will be an entertaining show .

• VpdVpd Posts: 47 ✭✭

Hello all,

I’m a long time viewer and I appreciate all the opinions and facts I receive on this forum. I am also collecting US Palladium coins (for now). I have a question for those of you who have collected palladium coins from other countries. Do any of your foreign coins exhibit spotting, discoloration or any other issues? I have numerous American Silver Eagles (ASE) and gold buffalo coins that have developed milk spots (ASE) or brown spots (buffalo).

Thanks

edited February 26, 2019 5:40PM

Up again, $26. About half way to $1,600 (edit to correct this number)

@Kudbegud said:
    Up again, $26. About half way to $11,600

Anything is possible since I sold most of mine. LOL

@Vpd said:
    Hello all,

I’m a long time viewer and I appreciate all the opinions and facts I receive on this forum. I am also collecting US Palladium coins (for now). I have a question for those of you who have collected palladium coins from other countries. Do any of your foreign coins exhibit spotting, discoloration or any other issues? I have numerous American Silver Eagles (ASE) and gold buffalo coins that have developed milk spots (ASE) or brown spots (buffalo).

Thanks

Welcome to the forum @Vpd. Recommend you start your own thread about Pd spotting issues. You may also want to consider posting in the PM forum, too.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/precious-metals

edited February 26, 2019 8:47PM

@Kudbegud said:

That would be $1987.50 for Mint Pd. :|

If Pd spot hits $1600 then Mint is $2037.50. :#

2018 and 2017 Mint pricing range tables for PM: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009669/us-mint-pricing-grid-pricing-range-table-2018

2018 table is still being used until the Mint publishes a change with the Federal Register for comments. Which has not happened, yet...

Exciting, exciting price action in Palladium.
    We are nearly at the Mint issued price of the Palladium proof for 2018.
    I smell the astringent whiff of smelter Maples in the winter air.

• VpdVpd Posts: 47 ✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Vpd said:
    Hello all,

Thanks

Welcome to the forum @Vpd. Recommend you start your own thread about Pd spotting issues. You may also want to consider posting in the PM forum, too.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/precious-metals

Thanks @Hemispherical for the guidance.

edited February 27, 2019 6:47AM

Platinum up around 10% in the last month from low of $782 to now $870. Palladium down $8, platinum up $9 this morning.

Palladium bullion although the Mint stated a few months ago that there would be a 2019 bullion version and a 2019 reverse proof, only the RP is on the 2019 Mint schedule so far.

I think there is a chance they will just cancel the 2019 palladium bullion version, like they did with the 2018 bullion version and and only do the 2019 RP palladium because of the sharp price increase in palladium the past 6 to 7 months or so.

I know the Mint does not sell bullion direct to collectors on their site, but they still have to mint and sell it to dealers.

Remember this?
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2018/10/no-palladium-american-eagle-bullion-coins.all.html

Checked all the main Bullion dealers and no 2019 palladium US coin bullion anywhere. Mint lost money selling Pt and Pd bullion so why bother doing it when everyone wants only the RP anyway.

Until you see them, it is still debatable.

@Goldminers said:
    Platinum up around 10% in the last month from low of $782 to now $870.

Palladium bullion although the Mint stated a few months ago that there would be a 2019 bullion version and a 2019 reverse proof, only the RP is on the 2019 Mint schedule so far.

I think there is a chance they will just cancel the 2019 palladium bullion version, like they did with the 2018 bullion version and and only do the 2019 RP palladium because of the sharp price increase in palladium the past 6 to 7 months or so.

I know the Mint does not sell bullion direct to collectors on their site, but they still have to mint and sell it to dealers.

Remember this?
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2018/10/no-palladium-american-eagle-bullion-coins.all.html

Checked all the main Bullion dealers and no 2019 palladium US coin bullion anywhere. Mint lost money selling Pt and Pd bullion so why bother doing it when everyone wants only the RP anyway.

Going to be another interesting year for Pd for those who can get an order in. Sounds like fun! Expensive, if Pd spot continues to rise, but fun nevertheless. I am in... for now. If it gets too outrageous then will probably double down on gold instead.

@MilesWaits said:
    Exciting, exciting price action in Palladium.
    We are nearly at the Mint issued price of the Palladium proof for 2018.
    I smell the astringent whiff of smelter Maples in the winter air.

Well some of that smell is from my Pd Maple Leaf's, and If I had more I would still sell them if the current uptrend has a 5% or so correction. I would not buy the dip.

I am not an investment advisor, LOL, but just saying what I would do. I would be looking at some low mintage US platinum coins as a replacement. They have been crushed as JM and others point out, but times they are a changing.

edited February 27, 2019 9:12AM

Palladium DOWN $33 right now. Edited to say down $43.

@Goldminers said:
    Platinum up around 10% in the last month from low of $782 to now $870. Palladium down $8, platinum up $9 this morning.

Remember this?

Goldminers: Thanks for the link to the coinworld articl. The two quick sellouts of the 2017 platinum bullion coins-20,000 in two days with the next sellout of 10,000 in one day. For the apparent low prices on these along with seemingly low collector interest, are there others buying besides the big bullion dealers? I did purchase ONE, but imo 30,000 coins is a lot of coins, if they are being sold one or two at a time in a series that seems to be flat, especially with the reverse design the same as the 1997-2008 pieces. Interesting to say the least.

Down $36 breaking the up swing of the past week. But still over $1,500.

@Kudbegud said:

lol... remember the PA coin naysayers, saying they were buyers when the price dropped to $800 :p:p:p

Yes I do. And I think some of them were buyers and will be in 2019 also.

@bestday said:

@Kudbegud said:

lol... remember the PA coin naysayers, saying they were buyers when the price dropped to $800 :p:p:p

I definitly will buy a couple more if the price drops to $800.00!

Palladium prices just won't die. They are acting like cats with 9 lives, but one of these days palladium has to go down a few hundred, and then I expect a dead cat bounce.

Silver just can't seem to get the energy to fully break $16 resistance yet. I have a lot I want to sell, but really waiting for $20+ again if I live long enough.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@Kudbegud said:

I'm still saying that. And it will happen. That was a 5 year goal not a 6 month goal.

Go look at the historical price of platinum, palladium and rhodium. Do you know rhodium used to be over $6000 per oz? This is not a permanent run-up in palladium prices, it is a temporary run-up based on supply issues. With decreasing demand over the next 2 decades, don't got caught in Pd mania.

And stop writing PA, that's Pennsylvania. Pd is the atomic symbol for palladium.

edited March 1, 2019 8:31AM

German physicist Werner Heisenberg’s uncertainty principal, which basically states that the more accurately we know the position of something, the less certain we can be of its momentum, and vice versa.

I hope the next special coins in 2020 are approved by Congress to be minted from palladium have a new design from some of the old classics, like Mercury but different.

I would be fine if after the 2019 Reverse Proof palladium comes out, they call it quits on that design. That would help keep the long term value of a three coin palladium set with the same designs, but different finishes, more valuable to collectors.

I prefer new designs and they are not allowed by the palladium law passed by Congress. I don't want a vapor blasted one, or enhanced, or other more finish gimmicks on this design.

And on a related note I think this chart shows why Pt is due for a reversal.

Back over $1,500 but not a new record

New record high for palladium!

Bid $1536, ask $1561. Fiat Chrysler just recalled 863,000 gasoline vehicles, and will replace all their catalytic converters which use a lot of palladium which already was in a shortage. They also messed with emission testing just like Volkswagen did with diesels a while back. Where is corporate governance these days?

Still no 2019 palladium bullion available at any dealer being mentioned, as the Mint is still not confirming if, or when they will actually mint them yet.

The Reverse Proof is still on the fall schedule, but will be very expensive it seems at this stage.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

Bid $1536, ask $1561. Fiat Chrysler just recalled 863,000 gasoline vehicles, and will replace all their catalytic converters which use a lot of palladium which already was in a shortage. They also messed with emission testing just like Volkswagen did with diesels a while back. Where is corporate governance these days?

Still no 2019 palladium bullion available at any dealer being mentioned, as the Mint is still not confirming if, or when they will actually mint them yet.

The Reverse Proof is still on the fall schedule, but will be very expensive it seems at this stage.

They have also not mentioned the mintage limit on the Pd eagles. So, while there is a long time to go, suppose the Mint decides to only do a short 5,000 coin run? That could be really exciting for about 10 minutes on the day of release!

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

Incorrect. It was confirmed November 2018.

Coin World: Palladium American Eagle bullion coin on 2019 U.S. Mint production schedule

A link to the article has been in the 2019 Mint Product schedule thread since November last year:

2019 US Mint Product Schedule published...

@Goldminers said:

at $1600 spot price for PA ..what would be the Mint price for the 2019 ?

@bestday said:

@Goldminers said:

At spot $1600 Pd would be $2,037.50 from the Mint if sold now.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 1:54PM

@bestday said:

@Goldminers said:

$2037.50.

The 2019 PM schedule has been published...

2019 Pricing of Numismatic Gold, Commemorative Gold, Platinum, and Palladium Products

Edit to add: This is what happens when you check the mail that you just got and don't check to see if someone answered the question in the meantime... :wink: )

@ Goldminers -
    The record close was set 2/26/19 at $1,544 / $1,569. I watch it every day and post new highs when they happen. Good you are watching too.

edited March 15, 2019 3:55PM

@BackroadJunkie said:
    @Goldminers said:

>
    @Backroadjunkie said: > Incorrect. It was confirmed November 2018.
    >

A link to the article has been in the 2019 Mint Product schedule thread since November last year:

2019 US Mint Product Schedule published...

Sorry, sir, I am referring to actual updated news to the dealers from the Mint Dec 6th.
    Did you see this Coin World article?

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2018/12/us-mint-announces-2019-bullion-coin-availability.html

And this is a direct quote to the dealers:

"Although the U.S. Mint had recently announced that it would offer an American Eagle palladium bullion coin in 2019, the Dec. 6 notice to authorized purchasers indicates “The availability of a 2019 American Eagle palladium bullion coin is still to be determined.”

The last I knew Dec 6th is more recent info than both of the November links that you have kindly provided, but I have been wrong before. o:)

@Kudbegud said:
    @ Goldminers -
    The record close was set 2/26/19 at $1,544 / $1,569. I watch it every day and post new highs when they happen. Good you are watching too.

You are right. I was reading FAKE news mid-day from Seeking Alpha, who was referencing Reuters :s

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3443299-palladium-price-soars-new-record-high

I should cancel my news subscription, as your information is free, and they were just looking for a headline. :'(

@BackroadJunkie said:

@bestday said:

@Goldminers said:

$2037.50.

The 2019 PM schedule has been published...

2019 Pricing of Numismatic Gold, Commemorative Gold, Platinum, and Palladium Products

Edit to add: This is what happens when you check the mail that you just got and don't check to see if someone answered the question in the meantime... :wink: )

info always good

By the time the Mint offers the next palladium eagle it is going to be even more of a financial beat down, I believe. Which will hopefully decrease the minted number.
    It will be a win for me, either way.

Another record close. Up $27. Half way to $1,600

For a minute there I thought I was seeing double.

Testing $1600......hmmm, I love the smell of melting palladium in the morning.

Another ## UP day. + $12 closing at bid $1,571, ask $1,596. Ask is tickling $1,600.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file